#1 Posted by Bob_Loblaws_Law_Blog (22 posts) - - Show Bio

I've been saving up a bit of cash for the past few weeks and I'm gonna spoil myself a bit for christmas and pick up some trades/omnibuses. However I'm lacking on ideas a bit :/ I've read most of the big stories from the past year or so. But before that is pretty much fair game. All ideas are welcome :) I'm kinda thinking maybe the 52 omnibus, or invincible.

#2 Posted by The_Tree (6422 posts) - - Show Bio

Definitely get the 52 Omnibus, the series was great, and this edition will be totally worth it. If you want Invincible, which I highly recommend, you should check out Invincible: Compendium One. Other Image books I'd recommend are Gladstone's School for World Conquerors and The Strange Talent of Luther Strode. If you want to try something Green Arrow, I'd recommend Green Arrow: Year One and Green Arrow: The Longbow Hunters.

#3 Posted by Bob_Loblaws_Law_Blog (22 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Tree said:

Definitely get the 52 Omnibus, the series was great, and this edition will be totally worth it. If you want Invincible, which I highly recommend, you should check out Invincible: Compendium One. Other Image books I'd recommend are Gladstone's School for World Conquerors and The Strange Talent of Luther Strode. If you want to try something Green Arrow, I'd recommend Green Arrow: Year One and Green Arrow: The Longbow Hunters.

Cool thanks. GA: Year One is something I've been interested in for a while. I'm also kinda thinking maybe picking up some of the Geoff Johns Flash or Teen Titans omnibuses. Anything to say on them?

#4 Edited by The_Tree (6422 posts) - - Show Bio

@Bob_Loblaws_Law_Blog: Nope. I've yet to read any of Geoff Johns' Flash stuff, or the Teen Titans omnibuses. Although if you're talking about the omnibuses for New Teen Titans, that series is often hailed as classic, and a must read for TT fans.

#5 Posted by Bob_Loblaws_Law_Blog (22 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Tree said:

@Bob_Loblaws_Law_Blog: Nope. I've yet to read any of Geoff Johns' Flash stuff, or the Teen Titans omnibuses. Although if you're talking about the omnibuses for New Teen Titans, that series is often hailed as classic, and a must read for TT fans.

Awesome thanks.

Any other suggestions from comic vine peeps? :)

#6 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

Depends on what you like. What characters interest you?

#7 Posted by Billy Batson (56951 posts) - - Show Bio

The cover price for all the 52 trades in total is $80 while the omnibus is for $150 so it would be cheaper to get the trades :p
In what kind of stories are you interested in?
The trades that I'm planning to get for Christmas are:
  • Green Arrow: Longbow Hunters
  • Metabarons Ultimate Collection
  • Superman: Birthright
  • Spaceman: Deluxe Edition
BB

#8 Posted by Bob_Loblaws_Law_Blog (22 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024 said:

Depends on what you like. What characters interest you?

I really like characters like Magneto or The Shade or Cyclops atm, basically characters who don't have a black and white morality system. I read a whole mess of comics every month, I love Fantastic Four, Thor, Manhattan Projects, Saga, Batman, Earth 2, Aquaman, Green Lantern Ultimate Spiderman, Ultimate X-Men and Hawkeye to name a few. Some of them I read because I love the characters e.g. Fantastic Four/Spidey/Batman/X-Men, but all the others aren't characters that I particularly love, but I really enjoy the creators work so I love the series. Basically anything that's well written and is generally considered to be great I'm sure I'll enjoy. Except anything by Grant Morrison. No offence to the guy or his work (which I know lots of people love) but his comics have never clicked with me.

@Billy Batson said:

The cover price for all the 52 trades in total is $80 while the omnibus is for $150 so it would be cheaper to get the trades :p

Well it's only like 70 pounds for the omnibus on Amazon, plus I'd much prefer to have one HC book of 52 sitting on my shelf rather than a bunch of smaller ones.

#9 Edited by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@Bob_Loblaws_Law_Blog said:

@Gambit1024 said:

Depends on what you like. What characters interest you?

I really like characters like Magneto or The Shade or Cyclops atm, basically characters who don't have a black and white morality system. I read a whole mess of comics every month, I love Fantastic Four, Thor, Manhattan Projects, Saga, Batman, Earth 2, Aquaman, Green Lantern Ultimate Spiderman, Ultimate X-Men and Hawkeye to name a few. Some of them I read because I love the characters e.g. Fantastic Four/Spidey/Batman/X-Men, but all the others aren't characters that I particularly love, but I really enjoy the creators work so I love the series. Basically anything that's well written and is generally considered to be great I'm sure I'll enjoy. Except anything by Grant Morrison. No offence to the guy or his work (which I know lots of people love) but his comics have never clicked with me.

Ok, let me see... When I say run, that means that it's most definitely in trade, and if it's not too new, you can get it in an omnibus.

On the Marvel side, based on what you're currently reading, I recommend:

  • Mark Waid's Fantastic Four run
  • Johnathan Hickman's Fantastic Four run
  • JMS's Thor run
  • Bendis's Ultimate Spider-Man run
  • Mark Millar's Ultimate X-Men run

For Marvel, I personally recommend:

  • Marvels
  • Mark Millar's Ultimates run
  • Ed Brubaker's Captain America run
  • Planet Hulk
  • Civil War
  • Fantastic Four: Season One
  • X-Men: Season One
  • Morrison's New X-Men (I know you said no Morrison, but his X-Men run really was awesome)
  • Whedon's Astonishing X-Men (A kind-of-sequel to Morrison's run)
  • Old Man Logan
  • Wolverine: Origin
  • Big Time
  • Spider-Island
  • Man Without Fear
  • Born Again
  • Guardian Devil
  • Daredevil: Yellow
  • Bendis's Daredevil run
  • Brubaker's Daredevil run
  • Waid's Daredevil run
  • Brubaker's Immortal Iron Fist run

Based on what you're reading on the DC side, I'd check these out (if you haven't already):

  • Batman: Year One
  • The Killing Joke
  • No Man's Land
  • Knightfall
  • Hush
  • The Long Halloween

I'd personally recommend the following on the DC side:

  • Kingdom Come
  • Identity Crisis
  • JLA (Once again, it begins with Morrison, but I promise it's different than his current stuff. It goes into Waid's Tower of Babbel story eventually)
  • Superman: Birthright
  • Red Son
  • Superman: Last Son
  • Brian Azzarello's Wonder Woman run
  • Geoff Johns's Flash run
  • Geoff Johns's Green Lantern run
  • Geoff Johns's Aquaman run
  • Green Arrow: Year One

Outside Marvel/DC, I'd check out:

  • Invincible
  • TMNT (The current stuff)
  • The Walking Dead
#10 Edited by Billy Batson (56951 posts) - - Show Bio
#11 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (27430 posts) - - Show Bio

@Bob_Loblaws_Law_Blog: get Joe the Barbarian by Grant Morrison and I will 100% guarantee you will change your mind about him

#12 Edited by feargalr (1123 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson: Great reccommendations, I'm also looking for christmas trades. Starman is such a fantastic series.

#13 Posted by Bob_Loblaws_Law_Blog (22 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson: Cool thanks, I'll check those out. Also I'm way ahead of you on Starman! :)

#14 Posted by Billy Batson (56951 posts) - - Show Bio

@feargalr said:

@Billy Batson: Great reccommendations, I'm also looking for christmas trades. Starman is such a fantastic series.

Huh, you're post before the edit makes me think you're the OP O.o
BB

#15 Posted by kfhrfdu_89_76k (3664 posts) - - Show Bio

Scrooge Mcducks life and times.

Doesn`t sound exciting? You`re wrong about that. It`s fantastic.

#16 Edited by feargalr (1123 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson: English is my second language, I thought it sounded that way so I changed it. But thanks for drawing attention to my crippling fear that my english is bad. It really helps with my confidence in the run up to christmas. :P