Children in Comics

Amegashita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

Edited By Amegashita

It’s a process of life, you start out as a baby, you develop into a child, you grow into a teenager, you mature into an adult, and then you age into an elder person.   Simple process.   With comics, we associate adults with a sense of security and strength.   Both men and women are idolized in strong forms, they have fantastic powers and enormous strength.

Adult’s are strength.

While with older characters, they symbolize wisdom and experience and that applies to life and to comics.   It’s the lessons and the mistakes of the previous generation that end up proving the most insightful.   If you take a novel like “The Lord of the Rings” the oldest, and the wisest person in the entire series is Gandalf the wizard.   It is the lessons of Gandalf that helps push Frodo to grow and it is his sacrifices that let’s Frodo realize he has internalized those very lessons.   In fact, him being a wizard is reflective of his wise status.

Wizards are an archetype, an archetype established by the character Merlin from, Geoffrey of Monmouth's “Historia Regum Britanniae”.   A wizard is the one who passes lessons from a previous generation to the protagonist, the wizard helps the character grow and he teaches them.   Characters like Obi-Wan Kenobi are wizards.

With all this, it’s easy to describe teenagers as the epitome of immaturity.   Psychologically, the phase between childhood and adulthood is where most people begin to develop their self-worth and their own personality.   Teenagers are the ones who think they’re grown up, but have no idea of the workings of the world and so they are always making mistakes and they are always learning, and this is just from life so it’s logical to assume that this applies to any form of literature, not just comic books.

So then, what does a child mean?

In Shintoism, Women are considered to be more important than men, the most powerful of God’s in the Shinto religion is Amaterasu-omikami, the Goddess of the Sun, and she is a woman.   Though, this isn’t why women are placed on a higher pedestal than men in Shintoism, the main reason is because women give birth and because of that they are the givers of life.   By this definition a child represents life, and this applies implicitly to comic books in general.

Generation Hope #2
Generation Hope #2

Children represent life, and because they represent life they also represent hope.   Did you catch something?   I’d hope you would, in X-Men, for the past few years we had been getting stories based on the Mutant Messiah¸ who conveniently starts out as a child and she is named Hope.   Coincidence?   I think not.   In fact, in the novel Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte, when Catherine Earnshaw dies from giving birth, she names her daughter Cathy, and her birth represents the break from the tragic nature of the story, and when she and Harenton Earnshaw plan their marriage, they arrange the date to be on New Year’s Day:  The very start of a new year, or in terms of the story, a new age of hope.   Children represent hope, but with this hope there also comes a new beginning.

No Caption Provided

When a child character is introduced into a comic, there is always a purpose for this.   Whether it be in Batman, in the Flash, or even Green Arrow.   There’s always a reason.   Whenever there is a child character, it often means that the age of our favorite hero is going to end implicitly soon.   When Damian Wayne was introduced Grant Morrison had continuously said that in the future, Damian will be the new Batman, and a couple of months after Batman and Son, Bruce “dies”.   Coincidence?   Of course not.

No Caption Provided

But let’s go a little further back, when Connor Hawke was first introduced, he was a teenager, but in terms of creation he was a child and a couple of issues later Oliver Queen dies in Green Arrow V2 issue 101, and Connor becomes the new Green Arrow, and if we take the numbering in a different approach than it being #101, and just ignore the 100, Green Arrow V2 101 becomes issue 1 of Connor Hawke as Green Arrow, and if we look at it even deeper, 100 years is the average length of a specific age in mankind, so Connor becoming Green Arrow in issue 101 implicitly means he is the beginning of a new age for the mantle of Green Arrow.

No Caption Provided

Even with the Flash, the symbol of children representing a new age is innately apparent.   When Barry was the flash, he had a side kick named Kid Flash.   Why is he a Kid, despite the fact that Wally West was a teenager and a part of a team known as the Teen Titans, he was still referred to as Kid Flash.   The Kid in the name didn’t just mean that he wasn’t the Flash, it also meant that over the course of time, Wally would be the one to replace Barry as the Flash.  

It worked both ways, and if we apply this very logic to characters like Superboy and Wonder Girl, we can see it the same way.   They’re named in such a way because they are meant to replace their older counterparts.

No Caption Provided

In comics, children symbolize everything from life, to hope, to a new age.   So whenever a child character is introduced into any story, they,

No Caption Provided

more often than not, are there for a reason and with a literary medium like comic books, it is important to consider these things.

doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By doordoor123

The problem is that younger characters without a "mentor", someone theyre in the shadow of or a destiny, they dont really mean anything. Look at the Young Allies. It was such fail, because they had nothing that most young characters have. Something to look forward to. Thats why the Runaways was so great (to defeat their parents), we eventually want to see the Avengers Academy become super heroes or do what the Avengers were afraid of and become powerful Super Villains. 
Good article. :)

Amegashita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Amegashita
@doordoor123:  I agree that younger characters from children characters to teenage characters often need mentors to help lead them down the correct path, but most often some of the most tragic child characters make the greatest superheroes, Bruce Wayne is the poster boy of this.  It mostly depends on the writer, a child character should never just be thrown in for no reason, they should have meaning.  Which can also show why when a child is killed off, it's often the most dramatic of deaths.  When Jason Todd was killed, he was, in essence, a child, and his death was so devastating to Bruce because not only did he lose a potential heir, but he lost the opportunity to continue guiding and teaching Jason correctly. 

Glad you liked the article/ blog.
doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By doordoor123
@Amegashita: Yep :)
Avatar image for turoksonofstone
turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

#4  Edited By turoksonofstone

Nice. plenty to be said for Adult characters in favor of young ones though alienating a dying audience in favor of a transient one is still suicide.

Amegashita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Amegashita
@turoksonofstone:  Agreed, if comic companies want to keep both sides of the coin, adults and youngsters, you have to play to both.  It's important to keep imprints like Vertigo alive and creator owned, while not trying to muddy their stories into the younger universe.  It's also important to hire actual talent, and not people who just have connections.  Bad writers and artists are just as much to blame.
Avatar image for turoksonofstone
turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

#6  Edited By turoksonofstone

Star artists have no business in Editorial.

Amegashita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Amegashita
@turoksonofstone said:
Star artists have no business in Editorial.
  That is so true, it's beyond belief.
Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Reading this immediately makes me think of Luke Skywalker, whom is the very archetype of the "new hope, new life, new beginning" concept you mention.  After all, just look at all the full potential he reached where his father could not even hope to cross?  Kinda funny too how the movie right after Revenge of the Sith is called "New Hope" as well.  Intriguing thought.  Love this blog, very much!

Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

Nice Article

Amegashita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Amegashita
@RedheadedAtrocitus:   I'm glad you like the blog, and to keep the conversation in terms of Star Wars, Anakin Skywalker was introduced in the first prequel movie as a kid, and from then on he was seen as the Chosen One.  Funny how the greatest villain, was also, at one point, the Republic's greatest hope and by using his comparison we can see how easy it is to corrupt hope, and with that corruption we can lose hope.  Yet, with the birth of Luke Skywalker and his growth, it's as if Luke is inheriting the Chosen One of the Republic title, and he's inheriting it from his father who had fallen.  It started with a child, and even though Anakin couldn't fulfil his role as the Chosen One, his children Leia and Luke take up the mantle.  It's an interesting thought, if you ask me. 

@haydenclaireheroes:   Thank you very much.  ;D
Amegashita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Amegashita
@Renchamp:  Thank you for the compliment, just trying to help add a new layer to what people can read in between the lines of comic book storytelling.
Avatar image for majinblackheart
MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator

Great read

Amegashita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Amegashita
@jloneblackheart:  Thank you.
Adnan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#15  Edited By Adnan

Really interesting read. In all honesty, before this reboot stuff happened, I was expecting the current big hitters (Bruce, Clark, Diana, etc) to become JSA-like figures and their younger appentices/proteges to take on their mantle fairly soon. Guess that won't be happening in the near future now though.

Amegashita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Amegashita
@Adnan:  Thank you, I'm glad you found this interesting.  With how DC was moving to a younger age, I also thought the same thing, coupled with many DC execs saying that we're trying to replace the older characters with younger ones.  Which, from the relaunch, is one of the problems I see with comics.  They never let characters age, it's sad actually.
Black_Kn1ght

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By Black_Kn1ght

good points

Amegashita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Amegashita
@Black_Kn1ght:  I'm glad you thought so.  Thank you for the compliment.
Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

An interesting post, but I think you could have done a lot more with it if you included a wider variety of characters (and possibly some younger characters).

Amegashita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Amegashita
@Squares:  Can you go into specifics please?  Since you're making the statement, I would enjoy some clarification seeing as I mention characters who began as babies who end up growing up, to children in terms of years of creation, to 12 year old kids (Damian Wayne), to characters who started around 14 -15 and aged to 17-18.  I have nothing against your criticism but if you're going to criticize like that please provide more specific points with more defined explanations so that I can reasonably read it and then implement that into newer writings.  Right now, your comment is a little general.
dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By dernman

I would never want that to happen to Bruce, Clark, and Diana. Besides it didn't happen the first time.

Amegashita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Amegashita
@Dernman:  Are you talking about the replacement of the older characters with younger counterparts?  Well in the Old DCU it's been shown constantly, and elaborated on many times that the younger characters are going to replace them at some point in time.  With the character Kal Kent, Kal can't exist until Superboy has a child of his own, and in Superman/ Batman We saw an older Conner and Damian in front of memorial to Bruce and Clark.  So my statement in the blog still stands, over time they will replace their older counterparts.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Amegashita: You really needn't repeat yourself so often in one post, you know.
You mention that you included characters that were introduced at infancy or early childhood, and yet in your list they're all depicted as teenagers. Except for Hope, I'm rather in the dark as to how any of the characters you've mentioned played any part in their respective series before adolescence. Maybe using more characters that were introduced earlier on in their lives would make the point a bit better? If I might, I'd like to suggest Valeria Richards- she's around five, I believe? Also, her brother Franklin would be a nice addition.
I'm not sure how familiar you are with the X-men, but quite a few years back there was an event known as Inferno in which the infant Cable played a somewhat important role. And on the topic of influential children in the X-men, there's the characters Leech and Artie, who both brought an interesting element to the Morlocks. Another interesting addition to the list would have been Molly Hayes, who I believe is around eleven.
dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By dernman
@Amegashita: That's always something that might happen in the future. Except for Nightwing recently taking over for Batman because he was thought dead. Diana Clark and Bruce have been exempt from such changes. Different from what can happen with like say the Flash.
Amegashita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Amegashita
@Squares:  Actually, I specifically mentioned two characters who were children Damian and Hope, then I talked about characters with names synonymous with a child and what those names mean in terms of the story.  Cassandra and Conner were introduced very young.  In fact, the only character that I mentioned who wasn't young upon their inception was Connor Hawke.    

I don't read Marvel outside of X-Factor and that was only recently, so I can't comment on any of those characters. 

@Dernman:  They're not exempt, they just haven't been written in such a way.  We see them get replaced often when they're supposedly thought to be dead.  When Bruce Died/ was out of commission, he was replaced by Dick and Azrael.  When Clark died, Steel took his place momentarily, when Diana died/ was rethinking her moral standards, Donna Troy took her place as Wonder Woman.  If they can be replaced momentarily, there's no reason to assume they can't be replaced in time when they get to old to continue working as heroes/ don't want to be heroes anymore.
Avatar image for gundamheavyarms
GundamHeavyarms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By GundamHeavyarms

Nice blog, I'm surprised that you didn't mention Power Pack, them being a team of child superheroes, even though now they are grown up.  I think that characters are probably allowed to age "off-screen" for the most part.  Alex Power is a member of the FF, he is now 19, he and his siblings have been friends with Franklin Richards since they were little, Franklin should be at least 16 by now (even in comic book time), but that might age the rest of the FF too much.  

Amegashita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Amegashita
@GundamHeavyarms:  Thing is I don't read Marvel outside of X-Factor, so I'm in no position to comment on characters I know nothing about.  Thanks for the response, it's always nice to hear your opinion.
dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By dernman
@Amegashita: I totally disagree with you they are exempt for a perm basis. There is a HUGE difference between temp/filling in and perm/taking over. 
Every time they temp replaced them they knew it was short term story plot.
Amegashita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Amegashita
@Dernman:  They're not exempt on a permanent basis within the history of the story because we've seen the future of the Old DCU and we know that they aren't who they are forever.  It's never elaborated upon on what happened to them except for Clark, but we are fully shown that they aren't there.  Just because as of currently they haven't passed down  the mantle it doesn't meant they won't, especially since the DC history showed them retiring from the mantle.
dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By dernman
@Amegashita: Every time they showed them taking over it was always after the fact.
Old continuity was always replaced by new continuity before they went back and did those stories they had mostly left behind.
The flashpoint change isn't the same as the crisis changes. Your not getting a hop from one worlds history to another your getting a time travel change in history in the same world.
Amegashita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Amegashita
@Dernman:  They apparently didn't leave those said stories behind seeing as in Superman/ Batman 79 and 80, released early this year has Superman 1,000,000, Batman 1,000,000, and robin 1,000,000, them being replaced has not been forgotten.  Despite those stories being entered in 1999, so no the stories haven't been forgotten.  They just haven't been mentioned as much because they take place in a future timeline.
dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By dernman

ug again those are all future time lines that may or might not happen.
Maybe I'm read wrong or are we not talking about perm replacing for current timelines. A passing of the torch on a perm basis for a character in the present.
Like Wally West was meant to for Barry Allen.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@GundamHeavyarms said:
Nice blog, I'm surprised that you didn't mention Power Pack, them being a team of child superheroes, even though now they are grown up.  I think that characters are probably allowed to age "off-screen" for the most part.  Alex Power is a member of the FF, he is now 19, he and his siblings have been friends with Franklin Richards since they were little, Franklin should be at least 16 by now (even in comic book time), but that might age the rest of the FF too much.  
Dude, Franklin's gotta be around 13. 

@Amegashita said:
@Squares:  Actually, I specifically mentioned two characters who were children Damian and Hope, then I talked about characters with names synonymous with a child and what those names mean in terms of the story.  Cassandra and Conner were introduced very young.  In fact, the only character that I mentioned who wasn't young upon their inception was Connor Hawke.    

I don't read Marvel outside of X-Factor and that was only recently, so I can't comment on any of those characters. 

@Dernman:  They're not exempt, they just haven't been written in such a way.  We see them get replaced often when they're supposedly thought to be dead.  When Bruce Died/ was out of commission, he was replaced by Dick and Azrael.  When Clark died, Steel took his place momentarily, when Diana died/ was rethinking her moral standards, Donna Troy took her place as Wonder Woman.  If they can be replaced momentarily, there's no reason to assume they can't be replaced in time when they get to old to continue working as heroes/ don't want to be heroes anymore.
I know you mentioned two characters 'that were children'; if you re-read what I typed, you'll see I acknowledged your inclusion of Hope. Please, could you try reading my responses a bit closer? And for curiosity's sake, how did you find out about Hope if you only read X-factor?
Amegashita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Amegashita
@Squares:  Yet you didn't acknowledge my mentioning of Damian, so thus I mentioned him.  Especially since you said "Except for Hope, I'm rather in the dark as to how any of the characters you've mentioned played any part in their respective series before adolescence."  Which is quite odd if you read Batman and Robin recently, or Batman and Son, then it's obvious to see what role Damian plays.  So you have no proof as to tell me to read your post closer seeing as I already have.   

I've read Second Coming, and Meseiah Complex before I realized how much I hate Marvel.
Amegashita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Amegashita
@Dernman:  The problem is, you're specifically stating that Bruce, Clark, and Diana are permanently exempt from passing on their mantles, and from our perspective that is true seeing as how it's these characters that make DC money, well Batman does.  Yet, in the story it's been shown that they do pass on their mantles and as of right now, those said future timeline's are canon meaning they will happen until explicitly stated otherwise in terms of the Old DC Universe.  So there's no point in saying, they may or may not happen, because in the DCU of Old they did happen just not in most of the stories we've been reading right now. 

Now if we're talking about currently, of course those characters aren't going to be replaced permanently, they are still in their prime for crime fighting so there is no reason for them to pass on their mantle, but that does not mean it won't happen in the future.  We've seen it best with the mantle of Robin, being passed down from Dick Grayson, to Jason Todd, to Tim Drake, and finally Damian Wayne.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Amegashita: Herein I'd like to admit that I have little to no knowledge of DC characters, including Batman. I have never read a single issue of Batman and Son, or Batman and Robin, so I have no clue what role he plays. Your phrasing is extremely odd- is English your language of origin?
And I'd be intrigued to learn why you hate Marvel so much.
dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By dernman
@Amegashita
I was talking about current time of course they would in a future time line. 

But I disagree on saying it may or may not happen of the future canon. The close future always changes from book to book and writer to writer. The legion cannon changes constantly and the only reason 1,000,000 hasn't changed is because they hardly show it.
Amegashita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Amegashita
@Squares:  English is my language of origin, I just choose to write in a style of preference. 

@Dernman said:
@Amegashita
I was talking about current time of course they would in a future time line. 
  Seeing as how you've only just now specified on that, you can't expect me to know what you're talking about it if y ou don't elaborate on it.
dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By dernman

I said earlier I thought I misread  things because thought what we were talking about and everything I wrote was based on Current.

Amegashita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Amegashita
@Dernman:  We actually were talking about two different things.  I was talking about the future while you were talking about current, but I didn't see anything revealing that you were talking about now until the comment before the last two.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Amegashita:  So nothing to add about your 'hatred' for Marvel?
Amegashita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Amegashita
@Squares:  Just testing to see how "curious" you were.   

I used to like Marvel, my favorite Marvel character was Wolverine.  To me, Marvel is a company based around "Making money first, telling great stories second", and that's a major pet peeve for me.  Obviously they need to make money, after all, they're a business but the stories they tell because of that need for money is so far under what they could tell.  Especially when a great series like X-Factor is out there, the writers at Marvel are insanely talented.  The problem for me is that Marvel tells tales of a certain flavor, they have a need to make characters darker and edgier than needed.  They love writing teenage angst, which is one thing I do not like about them.  They have written great stories before, the bone-clawed Wolverine tales are a personal favorite of mine but they don't write enough of those tales for me to pick up more series by them.  

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Amegashita: Everyone's favourite character is Wolverine. Ask ten people who're at least somewhat familiar with comics who their favourite Marvel character is, and at least seven of them will say Wolverine. And I've found Marvel writing to be significantly better than DC so far, perhaps we've both just read the wrong material.
I know you mentioned you read (and disliked) Messiah War and Second Coming, have you taken a look at some of the more critically acclaimed stuff? The Dark Phoenix Saga is supposed to be one of the ultimate classics, in terms of comics as a whole, and I've personally found Spider Man tends to have a pretty good ratio of good writing to bad writing. If you're willing to give it a second chance (or end up having some spare time on your hands), maybe try reading some Fantastic Four- from what I've read, they tend to shy away from 'teen angst'. 
Also, in terms of DC, is there anything in particular you'd recommend, in terms of writing?
Amegashita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Amegashita
@Squares:   My favorite Marvel character now is Layla Miller.  Outside of Messiah war and Second coming, I've only read, event wise, Apocalypse:  The Twelve, and a couple others that refuse to come to mind right now. I've never actually read The Dark Phoenix Saga so I probably should give it an opportunity.  Though I don't really like Spider-Man, so I usually don't give it a look.  I guess I'll take a gander at Fantastic Four, I've never actually heard bad things about the series. 

As for DC, though I've stopped reading a year ago, my favorite series besides the Captain Marvel stuff, was Green Arrow Volume 3.  The later Half of the Robin series with Tim Drake was great.  Red Robin has been getting a lot of great responses and after the first half the series finally get's past all 'teen angst'. Crisis on Infinite Earths was a great event with good writing.  There's some more stuff, but in terms of story writing DC is far worse than Marvel, and in terms of lacking respect for the fan base, DC takes the cake.