#1 Posted by Tyrus (1095 posts) - - Show Bio

The one movie I have to back up my argument is The Avengers. The Avengers! Yes, the third-highest grossing film of all time. What did people do when it stayed that way? Criticised the movie for being "fun" and too "kid-friendly" - what is wrong with that? Firstly, I'm glad to know that those people actually watched The Avengers, secondly, I need a proper answer to why child-viewers are seen as an irrelevant audience when it comes to superhero films.

Lets say The Dark Knight Rises was the third-highest grossing film, where would people think half of that audience came from? Actually, where do people think half of Avatar's audience came from? I've been saying this before, and these days people make it seem like you have to be 30 and up to watch and enjoy a superhero movie... What does this even mean for superhero movies in the future? Are they all going to be too "dark" and "gritty" for child-audiences? It's just immature for people to call out child movie-goers in a bad way if they did or didn't contribute to a film's success.

#2 Posted by lifeofvibe (3471 posts) - - Show Bio

@tyrus: yes unless its marvel wich are very very childish in there own right

#3 Posted by Tyrus (1095 posts) - - Show Bio
#4 Posted by russellmania77 (15021 posts) - - Show Bio

dude hop off the Dark Knight's jock already, we GET it, you love avengers and hate nolan

#5 Posted by NorrinBoltagonPrime21 (5784 posts) - - Show Bio

People will call what they don't like childish and what they like mature when both are not true.

And you're a year late.

#6 Posted by Spideysense44 (3372 posts) - - Show Bio

People will call what they don't like childish and what they like mature when both are not true.

And you're a year late.

#7 Edited by Fallschirmjager (16736 posts) - - Show Bio

30 and up? lol.

What a joke.

But yes. You're right. Lets design all movies for 12 and under audiences. Their opinions are the most thought out, most informed and most important. They always are the ones with all the money to spend on movie tickets.

#8 Posted by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

This thread is bad and you should feel bad

#9 Posted by AweSam (7373 posts) - - Show Bio

Avengers is perfect for all ages.

#10 Posted by RulerOfThisUniverse (6276 posts) - - Show Bio

Argh, I thought this would be an actual topic, not just a Nolan hate thread. Moving on.

#11 Edited by Tyrus (1095 posts) - - Show Bio

Yep, it's a shame that this thread mentioned Nolan once and it is immediately a Nolan hate thread thus making it invalid as opposed to the other 50 Marvel/Avengers hate threads made in the past week. Cool.

#12 Posted by GrenadeFlow (1422 posts) - - Show Bio

Man of Steel wasn't kid friendly

I wouldn't take my kid to see that

#13 Posted by ULTRAstarkiller (6110 posts) - - Show Bio

dude hop off the Dark Knight's jock already, we GET it, you love avengers and hate nolan

This.

#14 Posted by silkyballfro94 (1679 posts) - - Show Bio

SOMEBODY THINK ABOUT THE CHILDREN!!

#15 Edited by Havenless (1340 posts) - - Show Bio

@tyrus said:

Yep, it's a shame that this thread mentioned Nolan once and it is immediately a Nolan hate thread thus making it invalid as opposed to the other 50 Marvel/Avengers hate threads made in the past week. Cool.

First, bringing up other threads doesn't justify anything in yours.

Second, if it has nothing to do with Nolan, don't bring him up.

#16 Posted by GodTriggerHulk (1998 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd like to see some toy sales numbers.

#17 Posted by JediXMan (30337 posts) - - Show Bio

People need to stop thinking of comics and superheroes as purely a children's media. Until then, it can never grow.

That said, sorry Nolan haters, but the Dark Knight wasn't made for kids.

#18 Posted by SC (12963 posts) - - Show Bio

Some people might not consider that you can layer a product so it can appeal to different groups of people without sacrificing anything significant. Traditionally in the past people's naive understanding of others and people and ability to apply maths led to situations where superficial qualities were seen as way to categorize peoples and then using that generalization as a reference as far as making things appeal to them - comics are only for men, so only right them for me. Versus lets just sell stuff to as many people we can. Mind you there is value in knowing your customer and potential audience, just there are more ways to do it now, so some companies can do this better than others. A company that could hypothetically see what music you listen to, what games you play, what you spend money on and why as well as your gender, age, occupation, etc would/could do better than say a company that just knows your age and gender. Its why an industry exists today - the one that loves to collect raw info from anyone and everyone - and how some websites can advertise to you personally based on your computer history/terms you type - something that of course didn't exist a few decades ago.

That all being said, its not wise to try and stretch a product to appeal to all people either, that generally doesn't work so well either. Then yeah sometimes a product works better for some people and not others. Personally I really dislike the new Avengers cartoon and miss the older one. The newer cartoon was designed for a younger audience, and so was the other one to some extent - and not only that I felt it did a better job at appealing to adults even if the main audience was kids than the current Avengers cartoon. So I find the current series not bad for focusing on a younger audience, but its crossover appeal is lacking. I criticize the creative team behind this. Ironically this is not just a pattern as far as how products are created/sold but also a pattern in how people criticize/defend products as well.

#19 Posted by kyrees (4907 posts) - - Show Bio

why do such movies need to pander on child audiences when the people who are more likely to appreciate/understand them are above the legal age and beyond ? those movies came from comics that actual intended audiences grew up with accordingly and to pander them to child audiences removes the nostalgia feel to it. there's already enough child audience adaptations of such comics in tv, they don't need to kiddie everything down.

#20 Posted by MatteoPG (1927 posts) - - Show Bio

@sc said:

Some people might not consider that you can layer a product so it can appeal to different groups of people without sacrificing anything significant. Traditionally in the past people's naive understanding of others and people and ability to apply maths led to situations where superficial qualities were seen as way to categorize peoples and then using that generalization as a reference as far as making things appeal to them - comics are only for men, so only right them for me. Versus lets just sell stuff to as many people we can. Mind you there is value in knowing your customer and potential audience, just there are more ways to do it now, so some companies can do this better than others. A company that could hypothetically see what music you listen to, what games you play, what you spend money on and why as well as your gender, age, occupation, etc would/could do better than say a company that just knows your age and gender. Its why an industry exists today - the one that loves to collect raw info from anyone and everyone - and how some websites can advertise to you personally based on your computer history/terms you type - something that of course didn't exist a few decades ago.

That all being said, its not wise to try and stretch a product to appeal to all people either, that generally doesn't work so well either. Then yeah sometimes a product works better for some people and not others. Personally I really dislike the new Avengers cartoon and miss the older one. The newer cartoon was designed for a younger audience, and so was the other one to some extent - and not only that I felt it did a better job at appealing to adults even if the main audience was kids than the current Avengers cartoon. So I find the current series not bad for focusing on a younger audience, but its crossover appeal is lacking. I criticize the creative team behind this. Ironically this is not just a pattern as far as how products are created/sold but also a pattern in how people criticize/defend products as well.

This was very well thought out.

#21 Posted by russellmania77 (15021 posts) - - Show Bio

#22 Posted by Tyrus (1095 posts) - - Show Bio

Superhero comics were what kids/people grew up with back then.

Superhero films are becoming that of this generation.

You can't necessarily argue with those people in 20 years.

#23 Posted by russellmania77 (15021 posts) - - Show Bio

yes cuz the day gwen stacy died was for kids, as well as when green arrow's side kick was shooting up

#24 Posted by IndieComicsFTW (3253 posts) - - Show Bio