Characters you once liked a lot or even loved

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Spambot

but no longer like or even hate. For me, it's Wolverine and Silver Surfer. Those were the first two comic characters I really liked but now I am just blah toward them mostly due to how much I feel they've been overcommercialized and to some degree retconned to suit writer's purposes. Wolverine just no longer seems the least bit cool to me as a character.

CrazyScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 27

Batman. I still like the character and he is still one of my favorites its just pretty much he is everywhere. It gets tiring of seeing so much Batman all the time.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman. I still like the character and he is still one of my favorites its just pretty much he is everywhere. It gets tiring of seeing so much Batman all the time.

Pretty much this, but just replace Batman with Bruce Wayne. I like seeing Terry, and I wish he'd appear more often. Here's hoping he has a Future Beyond (see what I did there?) Futures End.

Avatar image for youknowwhattodo
youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By youknowwhattodo

1) Batman - Mostly from watching B:TAS and the Burton/Schumaker films, he was one of my favorite characters growing up. However and I might be in the minority when I say this, he's not a character that I think fits in with a lot of the DCU and he reads/views better when he's just in Gotham, in fact I still love him when he's in his own element. But the more I saw of him in other things not related to Gotham City, the less I liked the character and it got the point where his presence in certain DC properties got on my nerves. It doesn't help that there seems to be a big emphasis on showing Batman fighting other members of the Justice League and beating them.

2) Deadpool - I loved him in Marvel: Ultimate Alliance, but the fact that I no longer like him really doesn't have much to do with overexposure of the character as much as it is over-emphasis on certain parts of his character that I don't find funny and it becomes annoying, for example, him constantly breaking the forth wall. Personally, I think he's a character that works best when digested in small bits, but not for long periods of time.

3) Fantastic Four - I liked them when I was younger, but I really don't care about them anymore. It's not because of the Fox reboot, I tried reading their stories and I just have a hard time engaging with any of them. Whatever they do, there's another team out there that does it better and is more interesting.

4) Goku - Like every kid from my generation, Goku was THE Hero but when I rewatched DBZ a few years ago, I didn't realize what a f(^)ing idiot he was and he really didn't seem to take any interest in taking care of his family. Another thing that annoyed me about Goku was that the story of Dragonball Z seemed to be about Gohan becoming the guardian of the Earth, especially after the Cell Saga, but then the Buu saga seemingly went back on that idea and forced Goku back into the spotlight when I pretty much had enough of him.

5) Jar-Jar Binks - I was a kid, what did ya'll expect?

devitciiu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

When I got into X-men comics, I started with the 80's stuff. They were terrific. A lot of the X-men that were great under Claremont never recovered from when he initially left. The 2 that stand out for me are Rogue and Storm.

Storm just stopped being fun.

Rogue went from bad-ass to whiner.

jasonhawke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Soooo...what you're saying is that those characters are too mainstream now for you to like them?

shame shame.

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Venom(Eddie Brock)

He kinda really sucks...

Guru_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 559

Spider-Man & John Stewart. used to be 2 of my favourites, still in my top 100 but Spider-Man is falling faster and John is about to disappear. Just seen so much of the 2 of them got tiring. Find Spider-Man more annoying than fun these days and only liked John when I was a kid because he was in the JL cartoon.

regiebravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Deadpool.

gokuss4z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman what the new 52 has done to him is horrible.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jasonhawke: There's a difference between mainstream and oversaturation within the comic industry and what a publisher does with the character in order to achieve the latter. There's also the fact that as we grow older and mature our taste in characters tends to change and which characters we more easily relate to or like for different reasons.

jasonhawke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spambot said:

@jasonhawke: There's a difference between mainstream and oversaturation within the comic industry and what a publisher does with the character in order to achieve the latter. There's also the fact that as we grow older and mature our taste in characters tends to change and which characters we more easily relate to or like for different reasons.

Right, you dont like how your characters are now being catered for the mainstream and as such you don't like how they are changed for the new generation.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jasonhawke: I don't see either as 'my characters' per se. Marvel has every right to change them and put them in as many books as they wish to but I am under no obligation to continue buying those books whether it can be explained away as being a generational sort of thing or not. Its not entirely to do with that side of it either, as I mentioned above, as we grow older our tastes change. I actually haven't read enough of any of Wolverine's recent material to say what exactly his character is like now but I just know I don't have much interest in reading it.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

Soooo...what you're saying is that those characters are too mainstream now for you to like them?

shame shame.

Look at Mr 'High and Mighty'

jasonhawke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By jasonhawke

@jasonhawke said:

shame shame.

Look at Mr 'High and Mighty'

Name calling, eh?

Well look at Mr 'Low and Whiney'

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2) Deadpool - I loved him in Marvel: Ultimate Alliance, but the fact that I no longer like him really doesn't have much to do with overexposure of the character as much as it is over-emphasis on certain parts of his character that I don't find funny and it becomes annoying, for example, him constantly breaking the forth wall. Personally, I think he's a character that works best when digested in small bits, but not for long periods of time.

5) Jar-Jar Binks - I was a kid, what did ya'll expect?

Both of these are the same for me.

KittyParker13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By KittyParker13

@ryagan said:

1. Storm

She comes across as a self-righteous witch. I just really don't like her anymore. I prefer Chris Claremont's version of her.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When I got into X-men comics, I started with the 80's stuff. They were terrific. A lot of the X-men that were great under Claremont never recovered from when he initially left. The 2 that stand out for me are Rogue and Storm.

I'm pretty sure that's the first example of "changing a comic character to match the movie version". And I wasn't happy with Grant Morrison when I learned that he likes her new personality better.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

I used to like Carnage, but with all the symbiotes running around now he just feels redundant

Abyssdarkfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For me Captain America thought he was kinda cool now plz some just kill this dude and don't let him come back. Hulk his anti hero thing is not cool to me anymore. Professor X why does he not do more with all his power. Superior Spider-man made me realize how much i dislike Peter's attitude. Ichigo king of pulling crap out of his ass,Naruto hated him since shippuden he hardly puts thought into anything and does not know what the real world is like. Kakashi one of the worse senseis in history. Goku definition of a retard and what a sub par character is when i learned about actual depth of a character. Every main character of a Yugioh series bunch of cheaters. Ash ketchum who is a pedophile i mean the girls keeping getting younger and younger and how is Pikachu not level 100? Superman just like Goku but he wears tights see SA for example. Harry never got with hermione. Luke skywalker he is just so bland to me now. Kirto liked him because of SAO but he just ruined the whole show for me. Thor use to think he was cool no he is just an arrogant a**hole.

Shot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tekken characters. Haven't played since Tekken 3.

BlackLegRaph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wolverine. I'm just indifferent now.

Spideysense44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Nova...idk what happened i just hate him now, so James Gunn your not alone

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I really can't think of one.......

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28  Edited By longbowhunter

Deadpool - Back in the 90's I remember buying Deadpool: The Circle Chase off the stand and even had his Toy Biz action figure. Cut to present day and Wade's a meme and mascot for Hot Topic kids.

Wolverine - The character that got me to start picking up X-Men books back in the day. Now I just don't care. I'll still read a Wolveine story, but the creative team better be top notch.

Iron Man - Unlike most readers, I loved Tony in Civil War. After that I bought tons of Iron Man back issues. Shortly after there was the first movie and Fraction's run, good times. But after two bad sequels and lack of a decent ongoing I've lost interest.

Venom - Evil, slobbering Spider-Man with a living alien suit. What 9 year old boy wouldn't love a character like that? But like @ryagan said, he's pretty one dimensional.

Avatar image for greatcaesarsghost
GreatCaesarsGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not fond of what Batman has become in the last 15 ish years.

AAnge4315

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not fond of what Batman has become in the last 15 ish years.

what has Batman become in the last 15 years? As far as I can see, he's the same as before since post-crisis, the most dangerous man on the planet who is to be underestimated at own risk.

deadcool_XD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

always have loved deadpool, flash, shazam, black adam. I would say superman and batman and all those other guys, but I am trying to stray away from the obvious.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can never really hate a character and if there's a character I've fallen in love with, I stay pretty loyal. I can wince and bemoan what's befallen them, like Rogue for instance and recently, Thor. (Prince Odinsson). There are characters that can grate (like Roz), but that's more because of a particular writer pushing their new creations on the fanbase, rather than me actively not enjoying the character.

Daredevil is hard to stomach, or was. I like funny Matt and go lucky happy Matt, but without his dark, vigilant Daredevil personae lurking amongst the gargoyled roof tops, this new selfie-taking publicity junkie is flat out painful for me.

Silver Surfer as he's written now is off putting as well. (Understatement of the month)

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

@youknowwhattodo: I couldn't agree more. I do enjoy most modern Batman stories, but when he pulls stunts like the Hellbat armor his character looses a great deal of his appeal for me. That's what I enjoyed most about the O'neil/Adams Batman run, for example. Even though it's a bit dated, every issue he used his skill and wits to solve this mystery or track down this villain, not some high-tech, forged-in-a-star mech suit.

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Batman hate is strong here.

75 years of greatness!

McHotcakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By McHotcakes

@shot said:

Tekken characters. Haven't played since Tekken 3.

To go off of this I'll say Jin Kazama. Jin was probably my favorite video game character because of how interesting I used to find him. In Tekken 4 he was struggling to suppress the Devil gene and try to be a good person despite his lineage. He unlearned the Mishima-ryu style to separate himself from his family and refused to kill Heihachi because he knew it was the wrong thing to do. I found that really compelling.

Then Tekken 5 comes around and does absolutely nothing with his character. The only like Jin does is become Heihachi's successor, the complete opposite of what he was trying to do in the last game. Then in Tekken 6 Jin literally starts World War Three and slaughters millions of people. Granted it was for "good reasons" but the sheer butchering of his character has really made me lukewarm to him over time.

AAnge4315

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@patrat18 said:

The Batman hate is strong here.

75 years of greatness!

Agree!

Just because Batman defeated Superman doesn't mean he deserves the hate here.

ZeroPlus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I used to like Pre-52 Green Arrow a lot, but I never read him in New-52.

Stormdriven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wonder Woman, Batman, Silver Surfer, Hulk

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Jason Todd, Harley Quinn, Daredevil, Spider-Man come to mind.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Naruto, the biggest waste of a character I have ever seen, goes from badass street kid who is pretty wise for his age to some pansy that is forced to share Kishi's homoerotic obsession with Sasuke. Thanks to this, and quite a few other things, Naruto has been the biggest waste of my time and an utter disappointment in my eyes. He completely ruined his protagonist and his TnJ is the worst thing in fiction.

Kakashi, he was a terrible teacher, clearly favoring Sasuke while ignoring Sakura and Naruto. And he is a hypocrite, tells Sasuke not to get his revenge but helps Shikamaru and his team get theirs. I dislike his dismissive personality and dull fighting style as well.

Hiro Nakamura, such a dick.

RonWeasley,written well in Book 1; funny, courageous and loyal to the end. After that he is just a whiny, unpleasant, insecure quitter and butt-monkey for unfunny jokes.

Avatar image for BappyRonChantin
BappyRonChantin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman, Flash

I don't hate any of the characters mentioned above though

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@youknowwhattodo: I couldn't agree more. I do enjoy most modern Batman stories, but when he pulls stunts like the Hellbat armor his character looses a great deal of his appeal for me. That's what I enjoyed most about the O'neil/Adams Batman run, for example. Even though it's a bit dated, every issue he used his skill and wits to solve this mystery or track down this villain, not some high-tech, forged-in-a-star mech suit.

Agree 100%

TheDropkickJD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ryagan: I know it's all subjective, but "when you realize there's nothing to Eddie Brock's Venom". That's pretty insulting when then comparing it to Flash Thompson. Eddie's Venom is still probably the most in-depth Venom due to the constantly trying to do the right thing, but the symbiote mind-bending him into constantly doing the wrong. It set up some of the coolest inner villain, outer tried hero scenarios.

I'd say it goes to:

1. Batman, nothing more than anyone has stated. I still like Batsy, it's just over-exposure, and seriously the annoying fans.

2. Jar Jar, yeah. Okay. I was young, as someone else stated.

One who could have potentially could have made this list: Deadpool. I still love Deadpool as one of my top three favorites because some writers still do this character justice. The others make him a 4th wall breaking, fart joke, Hot Topic mascot as someone else mentioned here.

Banemax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some of mine are ones people have already mentioned but:

Joker - used to be my favorite Bat villain but I feel he's really overused and writers can do whatever they want with him because he's "crazy like that" and use that to have him justify doing really anything they want

Carnage - I used to love this guy but you can only love a one dimensional serial killer type character for so long until you realize there's really nothing to his character except a crazy "kill'em all" attitude

Venom - same as Carnage, except Eddie was a good villain. It's when they tried to force make him a hero I didn't like him anymore.

Superman - I got into Superman because of the awesome cartoon growing up but as I got older I couldn't keep my love for a guy who never seems to do any wrong

Wolverine - what kid didn't love Wolverine? He was everything that made comics cool: tough, fearless, and loyal. I don't know how it happened but I just fell out of liking him.

Some characters I didn't like growing up but came to love were Daredevil, Green Lantern, Aquaman, Black Panther, and of course: Bane.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@banemax said:

Some of mine are ones people have already mentioned but:

Joker - used to be my favorite Bat villain but I feel he's really overused and writers can do whatever they want with him because he's "crazy like that" and use that to have him justify doing really anything they want

Carnage - I used to love this guy but you can only love a one dimensional serial killer type character for so long until you realize there's really nothing to his character except a crazy "kill'em all" attitude

Venom - same as Carnage, except Eddie was a good villain. It's when they tried to force make him a hero I didn't like him anymore.

Superman - I got into Superman because of the awesome cartoon growing up but as I got older I couldn't keep my love for a guy who never seems to do any wrong

Wolverine - what kid didn't love Wolverine? He was everything that made comics cool: tough, fearless, and loyal. I don't know how it happened but I just fell out of liking him.

Some characters I didn't like growing up but came to love were Daredevil, Green Lantern, Aquaman, Black Panther, and of course: Bane.

I find it refreshing.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't hate any characters that I used to love but I did lose interest in some characters. As a kid I used to love Spider-Man, Superman and Goku, in fact they were in my Top 5 but now I don't like them as much as I used to but I'm trying to get into Spidey and Supes comics again.