Characters with tattoos that aren't related to their powers?

Bencif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Bencif

I was bored in work today and started thinking are any characters that have tattoos? I know there are some like Tattooed Man but in this case the tattoos are related his ability to mentally control the tattoos on his body. I can think of Blade having some that, as far as I'm aware, have no relation to his powers or abilities. I'm interested to know of any others that have some. I'm guessing a few ex-military heroes/villains might have some. What about any civilians sporting not just tattoos but superhero related one. I find the idea of some guy having a bat tattoo on his or her chest rather amusing.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#2  Edited By xerox_kitty

Well, Colossus had a very tacky heart with 'Katya' written through it tattooed on his chest.  Warpath has an eagle-like bird across his back.  I've seen some images of Rogue with tribal squiggles down her arm, but I don't know why since she hasn't got any tattoos now.  Technically Bishop, Shard, Malcolm, Randall, Madrox, Layla Miller & other characters have an M tattooed on their faces... which technically isn't connected with their specific powers.  But I guess they only have those tattoos because they are mutants. 

No Caption Provided
GabrielNox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By GabrielNox

I think artists consider it extra work so they don't even bother with them. Plus most characters can't have one because of healing factors. Tattoo is basically just a scar.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#4  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator
@xerox-kitty said:
"  I've seen some images of Rogue with tribal squiggles down her arm, but I don't know why since she hasn't got any tattoos now. "
I didn't know this, but it's possible she lost those tattoos after she absorbed the powers of somebody with a healing factor.
xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By xerox_kitty

No Caption Provided
@JediXMan said: 
@xerox-kitty said: 
"  I've seen some images of Rogue with tribal squiggles down her arm, but I don't know why since she hasn't got any tattoos now. "
I didn't know this, but it's possible she lost those tattoos after she absorbed the powers of somebody with a healing factor. "

I may have got it wrong.  I think this might be Ultimate Rogue... But I guess it still counts as a tattoo that isn't connected to her powers :) 

@GabrielNox said:
"I think artists consider it extra work so they don't even bother with them. Plus most characters can't have one because of healing factors. Tattoo is basically just a scar. "
No Caption Provided
Then why does Daken have tattoos down his arms?  It isn't 'just a scar'... but even healing factors don't cure tattoos. 

But you are right about why there aren't that many tattoos in the world of comic books.  It's tricky for artists to consistently get the details right.  Hence why Daken, Warpath & co usually have their bodies covered up.  It's easier to draw clothes which shift & move, than to keep the consistency of immutable tattoos.
GabrielNox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By GabrielNox

@xerox-kitty:

That is a question best asked of Daken's makers. I'm not familiar with Daken's past or how he got the healing factor but it's possible to get tattoo's before the healing factor and have it consider them as part of the whole, but that's just the theory.

Send them a letter, you may get a no-prize. ;)

Avatar image for u_r_sofa_king_we_todd_did
U R Sofa King We Todd Did

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

grunge from gen 13 has tattoo on his chest that I really hate

No Caption Provided
Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#8  Edited By Mercy_
@xerox-kitty Rogue with the trbal sleeve is from X-Men: The End.

Grace Choi has tons of tattoos, none of them related to her powers.
spystreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By spystreak

doesn't norman have a goblin tattoed on his neck or was that just for a cover?
Bencif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Bencif
  @xerox-kitty: I remember thinking of Bishop & co. when in work but forgot to mention them. Sounds like Colossus has just the sort of tattoo I was thinking about. Something that is personal and actually done by choice.

@GabrielNox: Never really did think about how big a pain it could be for an artist to have to to add that to a character.

I'm wondering if there are any characters that have tattoos that we don't know about. Booster Gold with maybe Ted's name one a butt cheek? I could see Cyclops having one at some point in maybe a mid-life crisis.
IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By IrishX
@bencif:
Here is a link to a tattoo list  I made.... http://www.comicvine.com/myvine/irishx/tattoo/75-20115/     

Characters that have tattoos not related to their powers or that don't give them powers... Darth Maul (and some other Sith Lords), Roulette, Skaar, Daken, Executive Assistant Iris, and Mr. X are some examples.
Icarusflies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By Icarusflies  Moderator
CaptinAwesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By CaptinAwesome

whats up with everybody's kids getting tribal tattoos Daken, Skaar.  

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#14  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator
@xerox-kitty said:
"
No Caption Provided
@JediXMan said: 
@xerox-kitty said: 
I didn't know this, but it's possible she lost those tattoos after she absorbed the powers of somebody with a healing factor. "

I may have got it wrong.  I think this might be Ultimate Rogue... But I guess it still counts as a tattoo that isn't connected to her powers :) 

Actually, that's Rogue from X-Men: The End. That's from one of the later issue's covers. But I don't remember her having tattoos in the actual comic.
Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Mercy_
@JediXMan: She did have them in the actual comic. At the end when Emma telepathically merged with her as she (Rogue) was dying the tattoos transferred to Emma. 
.o0Johnny0o.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16  Edited By .o0Johnny0o.
@CaptinAwesome said:
" whats up with everybody's kids getting tribal tattoos Daken, Skaar.   "
Daddy issues.
humanfly26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By humanfly26

Voodoo from Wildstorm and Starman (Jack Knight) come to mind..

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By DEGRAAF

Well if it makes any difference i believe Skaar was born with his and i think Hiro Kala actually had them tatooed on him when he became either a slave or a priest.  

Not sure what he ment by "hybrid" also not sure if its canon

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

Ed Benes is the man.
xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By xerox_kitty

Tart!  For a tattoo that high on her back, she could still wear a bra ;)

spystreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 9

#22  Edited By spystreak
@CaptinAwesome:
must be a rebellious teenager thing
Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Mercy_
@xerox-kitty: I was going through Rogue's gallery and I found this. It's from 616 (no idea when, though)

Kimolimilama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Kimolimilama

@Bencif: In X-Treme X-Men, Rogue became friends with a Mutant who is able to ink-flesh as her Mutant Power. Rogue was powerless, at the time the woman gave her the funky arm tribals. The effects of her mutant power aren't permanent but did last a couple weeks. This was around the same time that the X-Treme X-Men saved the Mutant who could change into a full-sized dragon (she later became the X-Men's lawyer).

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#25  Edited By Joygirl

The new Baz guy has one on his arm. Kate Kane (Batwoman) has an arrowhead on her arm annnnd... I wanna say another one on her back but I'm not sure.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By danhimself

new 52 Superboy and Bunker just got tattoos

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#27  Edited By Joygirl

Wow, I knew he had a purple outfit but not having read the title I didn't realize how... well... gay, they made Bunker look. Off topic, sorry, just was taken off guard by the spiked hair and flavor savor.