Characters and recognition in DC and Marvel

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By cameron83

Does anyone here have a character that they personally think is underrated? Or has tons of potential,but it's just unused? Or that they think that not enough people know about this character that should?

For example,Moon Knight or Captain Britain or Blade (and only SOME of his potential was used with his movies). Or someone like Icon or Hardware.

Why is it that these characters don't get enough recognition? Is it because their potential is unused (this,of course,differs with certain characters) or that they just don't get a lot of exposure and their potential IS being used?

Are people just not familiar enough with these characters? Are these characters just under-utilized (ie,needs a movie,or needs a well-written title,like what happened with Aquaman)?

I mean,look at what Young Justice did to characters like Sportsmaster,Aqualad,Artemis (who is,technically,a completely new character),etc.....

Or look at Superboy. He hasn't been around for that long compared to other characters (especially with his retconned origin,pre-new 52),yet he's one of the most loved and recognized characters to comic fans. And one of the most prominent characters in the DCu. Yet characters that have been around much longer,such as some at Marvel,are not as prominent or recognized......

Even characters like Shazam and Black Adam are seen more important and prominent than characters like Ms Marvel/Captain Marvel or Mar-vell to many people....why is this the case? Is it that Shazam has had more exposure and prominence in the DCU and in animated films and such?

I really hope you guys understand what I am saying...

I also feel that this happens A LOT to most Marvel characters,who are seen as (at most) B-list (besides Spider-man). I feel that most characters there are underrated and just dismissed by people. Like Scarlet Spider/Kaine,or Flash Thompson/Venom. I feel that they are HEAVILY underrated,but I just don't know if people really see them as being....important.

I understand that this might seem a bit....rough and confusing,and not very fluid (in terms of my thoughts and their transition),so if you're confused.....just ask. But of course,you'll have to work with me here.....

Basically,it's about characters that you feel are underrated and why this is the case,especially for why this is the case for characters in an entire company (ie,Marvel. Who I was referring to). Or if they ARE prominent and important,and I am wrong,then how can a person be familiarized and attached to them? One way,in my opinion,is through media exposure in a popular show. Like the introduction of many Marvel characters through Avengers EMH (like Ms Marvel,which helped me get into the character and fall in love with her). Or the same with many DC characters with Young Justice.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 the_stegman  Moderator

DAREDEVIL he should easily be as popular as Batman...okay, maybe not Batman...but at the very least Wolverine or Iron Man

Also, Adam Strange has so much untapped Sci fi potential it's ridiculous, same with Booster Gold. And Doom Patrol should be at the same level as X-Men.

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Nightwing. If he wasnt associated with Batman, he could easily be A-List and discussed as Batman's equal. The Catch-22 is without the association early on, Dick wouldnt be as popular now (maybe he wouldnt even still be around).

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Veshark

Moooon Knight! SHA!

Mooon Knight! SHA!

He has a new seeee-ries

Written by Warren Eeeee-llis.

All is right in the world

Moon Knight has a new ti-tle

And the best part isssss

It's not written by Bendiiiisssss

*electric guitar solo*

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By cameron83

I also think Taskmaster

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DAREDEVIL he should easily be as popular as Batman...okay, maybe not Batman...but at the very least Wolverine or Iron Man

Also, Adam Strange has so much untapped Sci fi potential it's ridiculous, same with Booster Gold. And Doom Patrol should be at the same level as X-Men.

True. Especially Daredevil.

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

Etrigan the Demon, The Creeper and Plastic man are completely underrated in my books. Curiously Plastic man is actually the one who deserves more spotlight, his creator Jack Cole did some serious things with him that needs to be looked back at with love!

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lyrafay said:

Etrigan the Demon, The Creeper and Plastic man are completely underrated in my books. Curiously Plastic man is actually the one who deserves more spotlight, his creator Jack Cole did some serious things with him that needs to be looked back at with love!

I've read about Plastic Man in old JL books,and I completely agree.

Alak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Martian Manhunter, Blue Marvel, and Iceman are underused.

Nightwing, Blue Beetle, Task Master, and Daredevil are underrated.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alak said:

Martian Manhunter, Blue Marvel, and Iceman are underused.

Nightwing, Blue Beetle, Task Master, and Daredevil are underrated.

Also,true.

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 30

#11  Edited By batmannflash

Orion, Black Bolt, Etrigan, Moon Knight, Vision,

Booster Gold and Cass Cain (at the moment)

I really wish I could see Artemis (from Young Justice) as an important character in comics

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veshark said:

Moooon Knight! SHA!

Mooon Knight! SHA!

He has a new seeee-ries

And the best part isssss

*electric guitar solo*

This may be the greatest post I've seen on here. I salute you.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

Dc has a Thor (that in my opinion is a cooler character than Thor) named Orion they NEVER USE.

Doc also has Dr Fate.

Zatanna

Martianmanhunter

Vixen

Spartan

Me majestic

Zealot

Maxima

Brainiac

Legion of Superheroes

Metallo

Orion again

Pretty much all of the New gods of new genesis and apokalips

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By cameron83

Orion, Black Bolt, Etrigan, Moon Knight, Vision,

Booster Gold and Cass Cain (at the moment)

I really wish I could see Artemis (from Young Justice) as an important character in comics

True on all of these. And unfortunately on the last part,I wish the same,too.....but she was killed within 3 issues of her first comic appearance in.......wait for it........THE NEW 52!!!

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By batmannflash

@cameron83: Artemis, imo, was the most well-written character in the show. I didn't know anything about her so she always seemed suspicious with her family's background and so on. But she developed as a character as the show progressed. At first she was a tough girl, afraid of letting anyone in, but she hid a lot of insecurities and secrets. But Young Justice made me really care for her by the end

Knightfall225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Booster Gold!!!

He deserves more respect. I mean even Batman trust the guy and its hard to get Batman's trust. He is very underrated by fans and sometimes heroes in general

Orion

Im not a big fan of Orion but i think its due to the lack of DC using him. Even when they do use him they make him look powerless to beings he should easily beat.

Zatanna

Very underrated. If DC were to give her a title she would be better than Doctor Strange

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely Moon Knight, Nightwing, Scarlet Spider, Aquaman (mainly on film, most who read comics now know that Johns has shown people how awesome he can be), and Cyclops.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cameron83: Artemis, imo, was the most well-written character in the show. I didn't know anything about her so she always seemed suspicious with her family's background and so on. But she developed as a character as the show progressed. At first she was a tough girl, afraid of letting anyone in, but she hid a lot of insecurities and secrets. But Young Justice made me really care for her by the end

A-freaking-men. I mean,I loved all of the other characters,like Kaldur,Robin,Wally....all of them. But:

1. Artemis was a new character with a new slate,unlike Robin,Wally,etc.
  2. She was,in my opinion,one of the most well-written on the show that started off as a new character.

Young Justice is one of the things that made me care for the DC universe and Artemis

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cameron83: yup, she was amazing. As you mentioned, they also did a great job with Sportsmaster and Chesire. Shame that I don't see them in comics (the YJ versions) at least.

That's why I want Young Justice to come back. Because of a lot of the show was different and had characters/storylines that I don't see in comics

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I have to read this post (the OP completely) later but all I want to say

CYBORG

( +)

Spideysense44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By Spideysense44

Moon Knight and Daredevil hands down and also Gambit for me

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By cameron83

CYBORG

( +)

tl;dr

Which characters do you think are underrated/underused and why is this the case or what can be done to fix it? For example,More exposure in comics and movies?

Knightfall225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

These two are usually put in teams and groups but are never used properly

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

How should they be used?
Also,good news. It seems Booster Gold may get a title after Forever Evil

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Agreed

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

As a Daredevil fan, I wouldn't want him to be popular as Iron Man. Tony has superficial popularity the way I see it.

Knightfall225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Knightfall225

Thanks for the news its about time DC gave him a solo.

Well for starters I think Hawkman should be used the same way they use Aquaman. A Hawkman solo title could go into detail about Thanagar, the planet where he is from, and portray it like they do Atlantis in Aquaman. what i mean by this is to give Thanagar and its people a different culture than anything we've seen.Also since this is the New 52 and they seem to want to mix around things, why not just make him the King of Thanagar. This gives his character a new level of respect.

as for Booster Gold they should go more into detail about the timestream that Booster Gold protects in his solo series. DC always tries to force Booster into teams but it never really works.

green_skaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Until recently, Blue Marvel and to a lesser extent Black Bolt.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for the news its about time DC gave him a solo.

Well for starters I think Hawkman should be used the same way they use Aquaman. A Hawkman solo title could go into detail about Thanagar, the planet where he is from, and portray it like they do Atlantis in Aquaman. what i mean by this is to give Thanagar and its people a different culture than anything we've seen.Also since this is the New 52 and they seem to want to mix around things, why not just make him the King of Thanagar. This gives his character a new level of respect.

as for Booster Gold they should go more into detail about the timestream that Booster Gold protects in his solo series. DC always tries to force Booster into teams but it never really works.

Ah,I see. Thanks for the elaboration and the ideas seem pretty interesting. Don't know how I feel about King,though...

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Black Bolt, Black Panther, and Iron Fist.

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

#31  Edited By LyraFay

Oh yeah, I completely forgot about Blue Beetle, Booster Gold and Hawkman! I think Hawkgirl should be recongised more she was the best character on the Justice League animated show!

Knightfall225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cameron83: well Hawkman was originally a member of the winged police force in Thanagar so maybe they could go more into detail about his adventures as a cop in Thanagar.

hart7668

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still waiting for Helspont and Mister Majestic to make a splash in the New 52.....

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Etrigan

Blue Marvel

Blue Devil

Black Lightning

Moon Knight

Avatar image for thetruebarryallen
TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want to see Mirror Master use more of his abilities, he's got such potential but they never show him doing much.

Other than that I'd like to see some Plastic Man, Booster Gold, Ted Kord, and Cyborg.

Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yung_ancient_one said:

CYBORG

( +)

tl;dr

Which characters do you think are underrated/underused and why is this the case or what can be done to fix it? For example,More exposure in comics and movies?

tl;dr

yeah buttah, I finally read the OP completely and I agree to some extent. Getting a "push" from the company helps the characters popularity. I myself became a fan of many heroes through the media.

I think Cyborg got a media push but he needs a solo. I feel like he is greatly underused and underrated. Everyone says Cyborg is useless because the JL already have Batman. I say, Batman is useless because they can have Cyborg instead. He is connected to the worldwide web, he is now DC's Gateway, he has enough gizmos and gadgets to go toe to toe with Iron Man and or War Machine.

They can come up with great stories for each and every character created. The only issues is finding a audience for the character. They just need a good push. They need to come out in the media a bit more, they need to team up with bigger named heroes to get them more familiar with audiences.

However, the biggest issue is fanboyism. Of course, Superfans are going to prefer reading about Superboy even if it is a lame story over Scar Spider(Kaine). Same can be said for the Web-A-Holics, they'd rather read Agent Venom even if the current story arc is garbage than reading about the Fearless Defenders.

I think the biggest thing is a bit more media exposure and more attempts for titles. I think Marvel should try to make Fearless Defenders again or Journeys of Mystery with a few adjustments.

I think Storm should get a solo series. But, the biggest issue for her is that this will take a lot of planning. There needs to be a story that explains why Storm left the team scene and is now going solo.

I'm glad Ghost Rider is getting another chance and so is Moon Knight, Black Widow, Elektra, and everyone else I might have forgotten.

(+)

CuddleBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veshark said:

Moooon Knight! SHA!

Mooon Knight! SHA!

He has a new seeee-ries

And the best part isssss

*electric guitar solo*

i know where all the grammys are going this year.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By cameron83

@yung_ancient_one said:

@cameron83 said:

@yung_ancient_one said:

CYBORG

( +)

tl;dr

tl;dr

yeah buttah, I finally read the OP completely and I agree to some extent. Getting a "push" from the company helps the characters popularity. I myself became a fan of many heroes through the media.

I think Cyborg got a media push but he needs a solo. I feel like he is greatly underused and underrated. Everyone says Cyborg is useless because the JL already have Batman. I say, Batman is useless because they can have Cyborg instead. He is connected to the worldwide web, he is now DC's Gateway, he has enough gizmos and gadgets to go toe to toe with Iron Man and or War Machine.

They can come up with great stories for each and every character created. The only issues is finding a audience for the character. They just need a good push. They need to come out in the media a bit more, they need to team up with bigger named heroes to get them more familiar with audiences.

However, the biggest issue is fanboyism. Of course, Superfans are going to prefer reading about Superboy even if it is a lame story over Scar Spider(Kaine). Same can be said for the Web-A-Holics, they'd rather read Agent Venom even if the current story arc is garbage than reading about the Fearless Defenders.

I think the biggest thing is a bit more media exposure and more attempts for titles. I think Marvel should try to make Fearless Defenders again or Journeys of Mystery with a few adjustments.

I think Storm should get a solo series. But, the biggest issue for her is that this will take a lot of planning. There needs to be a story that explains why Storm left the team scene and is now going solo.

I'm glad Ghost Rider is getting another chance and so is Moon Knight, Black Widow, Elektra, and everyone else I might have forgotten.

(+)

That is also true.All of it,so true. However,can you elaborate more on your point on "getting the right audience". I'm on track,but I just want a bit of elaboration.

1. I agree. And to add to the fanboy thing,by the same token,they also hurt the progression of other characters because they dismiss and defame other characters as to be nothing more than "rip-offs" or "copycats" of other characters (especially characters stronger than their own characters). Take Gladiator and Superfanboys. To truly appreciate a character,you must look at the differences,instead of the similarities; Instead,people would go as far as to looking at superficial similarities and marking them as nothing more than "rip-offs".

2. As said,I completely agree. Also,there are tons of quality characters that many people don't know about because they just don't have enough exposure from shows and movies and getting their own,quality comics.. Basically,I think that they need to be utilized more and given more spotlight in media and in their own comics. That's commonly how people get attached to characters and introduced to them for people to get attached to the characters. For example,Arkham City (combined with Nolan Batman) is how I got into Batman. But your post kind of elaborates more on mine and adds to it,so,again,I concur.

3. I know what's behind that shaded area,but I always move the mouse there to see what it is (+) >____<

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By cameron83

I also think that there are TONS of Marvel characters that can at least be on the level of Shazam and Black Adam in terms of popularity.

And those are great examples,considering what DC turned them into. And there actually ARE characters like this in the Marvel Universe,like Richard Rider,who even rivals Captain Marvel/Billy in terms of popularity (and surpasses him in power). Or Red Hulk.

Anyone else got a few names of people like this?

Also underrated/underused,Monica Rambeau. Although she does have some popularity behind her.

@v_scarlotte_rose What do you think?

Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cameron83:

I. The right audience. I personally feel like there is no such thing as a lame character. There are only good stories and bad ones, but most importantly fans. I feel like at the end of the day it is the fans who control what happens.

I don't care for Superman or Batman but they are loved why? Because they have their strong fanbase. Like you said earlier, fans overlook character because they choose to view them as "rip offs/clones/posers." One great example would be Moon Knight, he has an interesting story, he can be quite popular but there needs to be a fanbase willing to see him more than just a Batman inspired character.

I have seen many fellow viners confused as to why their favorite title has been cancelled. They usually find out that it is due to poor sales. Now how can a "amazing," "awesome," "flawless," "spectacular," "groundbreaking," and et cetera have poor sales?

They didn't have enough of a huge following and it isn't because the title was terrible. No. There are a lot of titles that are viewed to be poor titles that are selling a lot (e.g. Tbolts, Superior, Red Hood and O's). Why?

They have their fanbase. Fans are crazy, I mean it is short for fanatic after all. fanbases will follow their brand/franchise to the end of the world. I myself felt compelled to continue reading Agent Venom, and Winter Soldier even though my interest was fading and I was interested in other titles.

Stories/Titles/Series/Arcs, I feel should be promoted through other comics that fit the fanbase like movie trailers for movies. You see Captain America 2 trailer on the Thor 2 movie... why? Because most likely the fans of Thor 2 will be interested in CA 2.

I don't know if they already do but I feel like series that are grim tales should promote story arcs of other grim tales. I think fans of cynical stories would be more interested in hearing about other bleak arcs from different series than about Go Lucky, So Happy story arcs.

Or Waid's DD should promote Waid's Hulk series, since the fan might be a fan of Waid. It is just difficult. Again, my idea is that there are no lame characters, they just need a fanbase that will appreciate them.

II. Yeah it's my new thing for now. I love it.

(+)

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By cameron83

@yung_ancient_one said:

@cameron83:

I. The right audience. I personally feel like there is no such thing as a lame character. There are only good stories and bad ones, but most importantly fans. I feel like at the end of the day it is the fans who control what happens.

I don't care for Superman or Batman but they are loved why? Because they have their strong fanbase. Like you said earlier, fans overlook character because they choose to view them as "rip offs/clones/posers." One great example would be Moon Knight, he has an interesting story, he can be quite popular but there needs to be a fanbase willing to see him more than just a Batman inspired character.

I have seen many fellow viners confused as to why their favorite title has been cancelled. They usually find out that it is due to poor sales. Now how can a "amazing," "awesome," "flawless," "spectacular," "groundbreaking," and et cetera have poor sales?

They didn't have enough of a huge following and it isn't because the title was terrible. No. There are a lot of titles that are viewed to be poor titles that are selling a lot (e.g. Tbolts, Superior, Red Hood and O's). Why?

They have their fanbase. Fans are crazy, I mean it is short for fanatic after all. fanbases will follow their brand/franchise to the end of the world. I myself felt compelled to continue reading Agent Venom, and Winter Soldier even though my interest was fading and I was interested in other titles.

Stories/Titles/Series/Arcs, I feel should be promoted through other comics that fit the fanbase like movie trailers for movies. You see Captain America 2 trailer on the Thor 2 movie... why? Because most likely the fans of Thor 2 will be interested in CA 2.

I don't know if they already do but I feel like series that are grim tales should promote story arcs of other grim tales. I think fans of cynical stories would be more interested in hearing about other bleak arcs from different series than about Go Lucky, So Happy story arcs.

Or Waid's DD should promote Waid's Hulk series, since the fan might be a fan of Waid. It is just difficult. Again, my idea is that there are no lame characters, they just need a fanbase that will appreciate them.

(+)

1. Wow. I never ever thought of that. I constantly try to figure out why characters don't get as popular as they should,and I think you just answered it: The fans.

Wow. All I can say is.....I am speechless. You are correct.

This actually opens my eyes a bit more,and it actually makes sense now that I think about it.

Also,I think a character can get fans via more exposure in movies,comics,games,and general exposure by being introduced to the characters.....

Anyway,wow. You are so right.

2. It's so addicting!

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cameron83:

(+)

You should actually create a blog post on that whole fanbase thing,because it is also very true.

Tell me,how do you think a character can get a stronger fanbase?

More exposure via movies,shows,and their own series?

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#43  Edited By GraniteSoldier

There are so many, so I'll narrow it to one of my favorites from each of the big 2 for simplicities sake.

Marvel: Agent Venom

DC: Nightwing

Both are great characters, and it seems Flash is due for some more exposure from Marvel in the future, but he seems to be forever in Eddie's shadow by some fans. Same goes for Nightwing, only with Batman. Both are superb, unique characters. In some ways Nightwing surpasses Bruce as a compelling character, and in my opinion Flash surpasses Eddie in every way.

It's hard for newer/lesser known characters to really get traction. Many people stick to well established ones (Batman, Spider-Man, etc).

Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cameron83: You're far too kind. I should be working on my research paper. XP.

I agree that more exposure can help via solo series, shows, movies, but the thing is it cost money. And a series that has no hype or interest to begin with will not suddenly gain more fans. Because fans fail to share the comic. I have yet to see threads about Fearless Defenders and they are getting cancelled.

Plus being in a episode of Ultimate Spider-Man, Avengers EMH, Brave and the Bold will not guarantee gaining a new fanbase. It is a gamble so one needs to make the gamble worth it. No one can know exactly how the fans feel about a popular title, they can guess but never know.

It may seem as putting Static on Arrow will be a good idea but turns out Static was viewed to be a lame character. Now fans of Arrow view Static to be lame. Taking a closer look at Static we know he had a TV show.

Yet he is not as popular as say... Damian Son of Batman. Damian has less time in the DCU but he has more fans. Damian has yet to be featured on a movie. He had one mentioning on Injustice and a small cameo on Brave and the Bold (arguably not even him).

But Static had his own show. Why isn't he popular?

Well did DC follow up with the shows success to give Static a solid series that was similar to the show but different? Damian is an extention of Batman. If you are a Batfan you will rather read about his snobbish son than a obscure hero who has something to prove.

I feel like the Big Two need to make a well planned out decision to push a character. Give Marvel the Red Team of the Big 2, they plan on giving Luke Cage a tv series on Netflix, they have already given Comixology a free comic that focuses on Luke Cage thus a broke comic reader who has some interest in Luke Cage will be willing to download the free comic.

Now if they like the story, they will be a bigger fan of Cage than they were before. Once they find out he is leading the Mighty Avengers they might be inclined to buy it. If they buy it and enjoy seeing Cage, they will be excited for his Netflix show. If they come to love the show it will be easier to want to share the love they have for the show.

Therefore this possible (not guaranteed) domino effect created a new fanbase and it is through exposure on many different levels and ultimately through the fans. Word of Mouth reigns supreme.

Anyone is more willing to watch a movie, read a book, listen to a show, that was praised by a friend and or recommended by a friend than some poster, some commercial, some company.

The company makes posters and commercials to make money. They don't care about you. A friend recommends a show because they care and want you to share the experience with them.

E.G. I heard about Comicbook men for a while but I didn't want to watch it. I thought it would be lame. However, a friend of mine recommended it one day and I watched it. Why? She said she loved it. She said, "just give it a try," and she was adamant I would enjoy it.

Word of Mouth > any other promotions.

Fans have the full and total power to decide what happens. Everyone said they were gonna boycott Superior to ultimately buy it to see what the fuss is about = fail. Marvel thinks Superior is good. Why? They are making profit.

II. I really like it. I hope everyone who reads my posts feels a need to look at my sig.

(+)

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By cameron83

@yung_ancient_one said:

@cameron83: You're far too kind. I should be working on my research paper. XP.

I agree that more exposure can help via solo series, shows, movies, but the thing is it cost money. And a series that has no hype or interest to begin with will not suddenly gain more fans. Because fans fail to share the comic. I have yet to see threads about Fearless Defenders and they are getting cancelled.

Plus being in a episode of Ultimate Spider-Man, Avengers EMH, Brave and the Bold will not guarantee gaining a new fanbase. It is a gamble so one needs to make the gamble worth it. No one can know exactly how the fans feel about a popular title, they can guess but never know.

It may seem as putting Static on Arrow will be a good idea but turns out Static was viewed to be a lame character. Now fans of Arrow view Static to be lame. Taking a closer look at Static we know he had a TV show.

Yet he is not as popular as say... Damian Son of Batman. Damian has less time in the DCU but he has more fans. Damian has yet to be featured on a movie. He had one mentioning on Injustice and a small cameo on Brave and the Bold (arguably not even him).

But Static had his own show. Why isn't he popular?

Well did DC follow up with the shows success to give Static a solid series that was similar to the show but different? Damian is an extention of Batman. If you are a Batfan you will rather read about his snobbish son than a obscure hero who has something to prove.

I feel like the Big Two need to make a well planned out decision to push a character. Give Marvel the Red Team of the Big 2, they plan on giving Luke Cage a tv series on Netflix, they have already given Comixology a free comic that focuses on Luke Cage thus a broke comic reader who has some interest in Luke Cage will be willing to download the free comic.

Now if they like the story, they will be a bigger fan of Cage than they were before. Once they find out he is leading the Mighty Avengers they might be inclined to buy it. If they buy it and enjoy seeing Cage, they will be excited for his Netflix show. If they come to love the show it will be easier to want to share the love they have for the show.

Therefore this possible (not guaranteed) domino effect created a new fanbase and it is through exposure on many different levels and ultimately through the fans. Word of Mouth reigns supreme.

Anyone is more willing to watch a movie, read a book, listen to a show, that was praised by a friend and or recommended by a friend than some poster, some commercial, some company.

The company makes posters and commercials to make money. They don't care about you. A friend recommends a show because they care and want you to share the experience with them.

E.G. I heard about Comicbook men for a while but I didn't want to watch it. I thought it would be lame. However, a friend of mine recommended it one day and I watched it. Why? She said she loved it. She said, "just give it a try," and she was adamant I would enjoy it.

Word of Mouth > any other promotions.

Fans have the full and total power to decide what happens. Everyone said they were gonna boycott Superior to ultimately buy it to see what the fuss is about = fail. Marvel thinks Superior is good. Why? They are making profit.

II. I really like it. I hope everyone who reads my posts feels a need to look at my sig.

(+)

Wow,I know I sound repetitive,but......I concur wholeheartedly. And in that case,I am glad Marvel is making a push with many of their characters on TV,but I think more is needed (ie,everything that you said in order for the fanbases for characters to grow).

I would totally want to see you make a blog post on this matter :p

If I were to say someone like Kaine,or (as someone above said),Flash Thompson as Agent Venom,where do you think they would fit in with your post?

Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Yung ANcient One

@cameron83: A quicky, they would be used as examples of characters that are considered to be C listers or at best B listers and how I personally viewed them since I was a avid reader of both their series. Plus I'd use the examples of fans being in control. I'm also thinking the idea of New Warriors and Guardians of the Galaxy/Thunderbolts. How fans of the two spider brothers now open a door to fans being interested in new characters such as Nova, Speedball, Justice, Star-Lord, Groot, Elektra, Rulk, or whoever they might have been unaware of before.

(+)

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By cameron83

@yung_ancient_one said:

@cameron83: A quicky, they would be used as examples of characters that are considered to be C listers or at best B listers and how I personally viewed them since I was a avid reader of both their series. Plus I'd use the examples of fans being in control. I'm also thinking the idea of New Warriors and Guardians of the Galaxy/Thunderbolts. How fans of the two spider brothers now open a door to fans being interested in new characters such as Nova, Speedball, Justice, Star-Lord, Groot, Elektra, Rulk, or whoever they might have been unaware of before.

(+)

Very well-said and good points.

I agree.

Also,thank you for answering