#1 Edited by Xwraith (15518 posts) - - Show Bio

Just a couple months ago, I listed character loyalty as probably the most important factor when deciding to pick up a new comic. But more recently, I've been thinking, is that a good or bad thing?

To be fair, I will pass on a book if it has a character I like but a creator I don't (e.g. Bendis writing Rocket Raccoon or Land drawing Psylocke).

#2 Posted by Xanni15 (6758 posts) - - Show Bio

Of course, it's your money so you should spend it on whatever comics appeal to you and for whatever reason they do it's acceptable.

#3 Posted by Fenderxx (366 posts) - - Show Bio

I am loyal to a few charactors... but I would say Writer/Artists are more important.

#4 Edited by PowerHerc (81637 posts) - - Show Bio

Character loyalty is good.

If not for character loyalty comic books would probably have ceased publication a long time ago.

#5 Posted by PrinceAragorn1 (16129 posts) - - Show Bio

Character loyalty is good.

If not for character loyalty comic books would probably have ceased publication a long time ago.

Yeah, let me guess.

You particularly search for comics with hercules in them :p :p

#6 Posted by PowerHerc (81637 posts) - - Show Bio
#7 Posted by The_Tree (7235 posts) - - Show Bio

Like the characters you like, but if you think they're being handled poorly, don't support the creators that are ruining them.

Hence, why I don't pick up Teen Titans (Thanks for ruining Tim Drake, Lobdell).

#8 Edited by sagejonathan (1824 posts) - - Show Bio

I have character loyalty and I think its a good thing. It keeps the characters you love in the business but I also agree with the person above. if you really hate what the creators are doing, then don't support it.

#9 Posted by The_Lunact_And_Manic (3286 posts) - - Show Bio

@sagejonathan said:

I have character loyalty and I think its a good thing. It keeps the characters you love in the business but I also agree with the person above. if you really hate what the creators are doing, then don't support it.

#10 Posted by John Valentine (16274 posts) - - Show Bio

Character loyalty is good, to an extent. It maintains one's interests and makes the extended reading experience more enjoyable and engaging.

I also believe in Creator Loyalty. Some writers are just great all round - Gillen for Uncanny X-Men, JIM and Young Avengers.

Both of these are within reason, however. There have been plenty of characters I love whom have been in awful titles e.g. Genesis in WaTXM. There have been a few writers I like who've written pretty mediocre/poor series e.g Remender on Uncanny Avengers.

#11 Posted by BumpyBoo (7676 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_tree said:

Like the characters you like, but if you think they're being handled poorly, don't support the creators that are ruining them.

Hence, why I don't pick up Teen Titans (Thanks for ruining Tim Drake, Lobdell).

Absolutely this :)

#12 Edited by Rabbitearsblog (5772 posts) - - Show Bio

Basically this.

#13 Edited by SC (12721 posts) - - Show Bio

Its good, but you have to be smart about it. Some people like me can afford to pick up a few books, and so I get a combination of good books and books my favorite characters are in, and hopefully those are the same, but they aren't always. Most of my fav characters only appear in one book too so that complicates things, but not just that, but buying or not buying a book isn't a good way to let a comic company know what about that book succeeds contrary to popular belief in fact many books are set up to succeed so not buying it won't do much (Fraction and Land on Uncanny X-Men) and lets say a book does fail or get canceled, no way to tell if Marvel/DC will realize its their fault and not say blame a character/characters.

So there are more ways to be loyal to a character is what I am saying. Make noise about them, blog, recommend to writers you like, ask questions about them, try to show other fans why they might like them, and don't try and make them like a character for reasons you might. I have seen so many new characters get hate because some fans get overzealous (which isn't a good reason to hate a character) but worth bearing in mind if you want your favorite characters to do well. You want other fans to be your allies not enemies.

#14 Posted by Battle_Forum_Junkie (7595 posts) - - Show Bio

I say character loyalty is good, but to an extent. But if you think the writing or art are bad the best thing you can do is drop the comic, hope for a new creative team, and remember said character for when they where written well.

Case in point, this happened to me recently with Captain America. I didn't like the art or the story all that much so I decided to drop it. Now I try to get trades of Ed Bunker's Captain America whenever I can.

One of the best Cap writers ever.