Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

Remember this picture?
 Remember this picture?
About a year ago, ok 10 months ago, I wrote an article essentially bad-mouthing digital comics. I wasn't ready for the change, and I wished it was nothing more than a fad. Deep down, I knew the change was coming, or at least on its way, and I did everything I could to try and defend what I loved, the "printed word." A few things changed for me, and everyone else, in those past ten months: I noticed I've completely run out of room for my comic books and trades, the ipad was launched, and I actually saw how digital comics could work. I then put my foot in my mouth as I read my old article.

So what actually changed the way I think about digital comic books?

One people: ComiXology and Archaia Comics. Yes, this does sound like a veiled plug for them, but it's 100% true. During C2E2, ComicVine had an interview with David Steinberger, the CEO of ComiXology, and after the interview he helped me figure out the weirdness that is the iPad. (It's just weird to me... futuristic almost) Aside from David be super-patient and nice about giving me a demonstration to someone who hates most apple products, I found myself really enjoying it. I loved reading a comic on the iPad. After the demonstration with David, I headed back to the Archaia Comics booth, or as I called it, "home base" because they had really nice seats there, and talked to Daniel Quantz and R.J. Ryan about their upcoming book, Syndrome, which they showed me the colored pages on an iPad and some of the cooler features on it. I realized right around then that this wasn't really a bad thing. Digital comics were pretty darn cool, especially when I had people that would take the time to show me how this jazz all worked. It was actually a lot of fun to use, and the best part was that I wasn't taking up more space at my place.

== TEASER ==

What's not working for me?

As I stated 10 months ago, and I quote: 

DC doesn’t seem to be on top of this verging technology yet

It's been 10 months since then, and they still don't seem to be on top of it. You can find previews of comics to download to your computer, but where's the actual comics? If DC wants to stay on top of things, they should start getting those comics online for people to buy. You know what else isn't working for me? Release dates. If these companies really want to take this online comic jazz seriously, they should release new comics online the same day they come out in print. Most publishers release the digital comics a few months after they come out in print. I think the only real way to increase the popularity of this is to put the books out the same time they come out in print, much like iTunes does with music now. But how long until this happens? Hopefully everyone jumps on soon.

I admit, again, I hated the idea of all online comics, but when I actually got to see how it all worked and pulled my head out of my butt, I loved it. The iPad is really what pulled a lot of it together for me. The screen is large enough for my poor old eyes to see the book and the transitioning between panels and pages was smooth and aesthetically pleasing. I can say, without a doubt, I've excepted the inevitable, and I'm excited about it... And in the next few months, I will own an iPad too. 

Have you guys tried digital comics out on the iPad? What do you think about this ordeal?

~Mat "InferiorEgo" Elfring is a comedian, teacher, comic book writer, comic store employee, and now a fan of digital comics.~
MisterMollusk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By MisterMollusk

I think digital comics are the way to go. Of course, my ideal would be that buying a hardcopy would also unlock a digital copy.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
@MisterMollusk said:
"Of course, my ideal would be that buying a hardcopy would also unlock a digital copy. "
Brilliant!
sharky64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By sharky64

They also help to check previews of past comics so if you can see wat you like you could buy it
InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By InnerVenom123

I hope that digital never replaces printed, but if it did I guess I could live with it.

shatterstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By shatterstar  Moderator

I'm definitely digging comixology, marvel, IDW apps on the iphone. Its pretty well done how they do it. Yea splash pages don't have the pop they have on paper and you don't get the feel but its a good way to catch stories you wouldn't necessarily pickup at the comic shop.

EdwardWindsor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By EdwardWindsor

i generaly by the hardcopies of new issues and inexpensive classics , where i wil happily pay for a digital comic of a comic which is much more for a decent hardcopy.

i also like the idea above of having a digital copy code or something when you buy a hardcopy as well

hdorman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By hdorman1
@MisterMollusk said:

" I think digital comics are the way to go. Of course, my ideal would be that buying a hardcopy would also unlock a digital copy. "

most of college text books have that system 
so im sure mass transfar would be simple 
have like a code split into 20 or parts throughout the comic (so cant be just got by picking the comic and looking at it in the shop)
imput into the marvel website and get a free link 

have to say 
awesome idea man
johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By johnny_spam

I am to skeptical about this proposed transition. I tend to think of how people will misuse it like ripping it off using all sorts of systems like they do with music and movies already at the moment they can use all sorts of things now but if they get bigger than more people will find a way to rip off the new comics if they are released as well that would mean the companies may lose money. 

If successful then it will run down comics shops and put people out of business endangering many people there are also lots of stupid copyright rules when it comes to stuff like Itunes and I can imagine all the crap that may infect digital comics.  

Also stupid stuff like filling up to much memory and having to delete comics or if the device has bugs you might lose your digital library.   

Watch people buying this first generation of expensive Ipads then find out a better version is released in a few months or the price goes down in a year.

The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#10  Edited By The_Martian

I hate reading comics from my computer. I like he freedom of being able to move around or change my seating position as I read. With a computer you are kinda stuck looking at it a certain way, even with a lap top. I haven't tried it on the Ipad, but I'd be willing to give it a shot.

As for DC falling  behind in the digital area, I'm not really surprised. When it comes to stepping outside the box, DC comics just doesn't do that. And I don't mean that directed at their storylines or their characters. If you compare marvel.com to dccomics.com,  just by looking at the home pages you can see what I mean. I've seen better fan made websites than DC's.

xXLukeCageXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11  Edited By xXLukeCageXx
@inferiorego said:
" @MisterMollusk said:
"Of course, my ideal would be that buying a hardcopy would also unlock a digital copy. "
Brilliant! "

Hey Inferiorego in that picture that's a classic comic your bending :D
Cassio411

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Cassio411
@MisterMollusk said:
" I think digital comics are the way to go. Of course, my ideal would be that buying a hardcopy would also unlock a digital copy. "
That is exactly what i was talking about with my best friend. He was telling me that regular books have started to do this because they've found that people only really like to read from nook/kindle for a short amount of time. they still prefer feeling paper when they grab a book, or in our case, a comic. it should be quite interesting to see what happens in the future.
inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
@xXLukeCageXx: lol. I'd hardly call anything with Malice in it "classic."
doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By doordoor123

Digital is stupid.
Way to make comic nerds (like myself) less social.
Comic nerds wont leave their houses with digital comics. 
I AM THE RESISTANCE AGAINST DIGITAL COMICS!
 VIVA LA RESISTANCE!!!

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15  Edited By Erik

I love it. I want to buy an ipad to read comics among other things. I wonder if they have whole trades on it yet.

Dro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Dro

I have to say, I generally prefer ink. Now, I very well might like digital copies to read, but I love collecting actual solid objects. It's why I have so many CDs that are easily available on iTunes. It's why I like writing things down on a piece of paper. I just don't think computers will ever really replace that feeling, at least for me.

xXLukeCageXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By xXLukeCageXx
@inferiorego said:
" @xXLukeCageXx: lol. I'd hardly call anything with Malice in it "classic." "
Lol,  Well stated . I just want to say Digitial Comic's  are 50/50

Well The comic's will get more publicty and to be honest help people get previews of what there buying and some people even  doordoor123 I think comic nerd's like me and you alike won't be less social because on Marvel.com they don't put new comic's up there when they come out they do it monthly I believe. The Bad thing to this is if people can read comic's online Comic stores will suffer and comic companies may lose lot's of money .
Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By Korg

My brother-in-law has an iPad, and I just don't care for it. The tech is impractical at best, and I am pretty anti-anything with a touch screen. I have no interest in buying an iPad, let alone for the sole purpose of reading comics. The idea of digital comics just does not appeal to me in any way. I can also buy the titles you find on the iPad apps for 50% or less of what they charge. So I will not be buying an iPad, or any digital comics anytime soon. Probably not ever.

RubyShadesp3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By RubyShadesp3

I have nothing against digital comics. Personally, I'm not a fan of them, but I have used them to catch up here and there. It just feels so awkward. However, I'm not going to deny that we are in a digital age. My only concern is the possibiliy that hard copies will receive less attention and dwindle in circulation.

Avatar image for mysteriomaximus
MysterioMaximus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MysterioMaximus

I was just talking about this with someone on the site today.  

For digital, I'd be perfectly fine with it so long as it wasn’t made obligatory. There are numerous reasons as to why, not that I simply just fear change. I don't fear change, I just got done with a huge move as a matter of fact. I merely dislike mandatory changes to something I’d deem not broken. I don't like the thoughts of the self-owned comic stores going under. Though they'd still have collectables and gaming supplies, I'd imagine the bulk of revenue stems from the comics (along with the TPB' and Graphic Novel) themselves, thus digital would destroy many self-owned businesses. They’re unofficial nerd headquarters everywhere, places for unscripted daily meet and greets amongst commonly bonded people. These are places to share your hobby and meet fellow like-minded (and ideally future) friends. Don’t ax that! When you can stay inside and download the latest issues of Amazing without having to grace the sunshine, you lose that tangible comic community interaction and camaraderie which, to me, is really priceless. That’s all good and fine for those who don’t want to leave their Batcave sanctuaries, but what about those who do? I’m not anti-tech, I’m anti-monopolization. Everything that can also should present options, so the thoughts of having the future of all comics in only digital format don’t even remotely thrill me…even if I were to be persuaded onto the digital side. Nothing will ever replicate the smell of a comic, the feel of the pulpy or glossy paper between your fingers, the casualty and comfort of the format. I’ll never replace that unless my arm is bent backwards. I just can’t see this as the nerd equivalent of curmudgeon Grandpa hanging onto old vinyl or VHS. There’s far more to it than “Just fears change”.

Comics should never not be offered in print and I think that's the underlying issue. No one is anti-digital, the nay sayers are merely saying "Have your digital...so long as it doesn't come at the expense of our printed".  Coexistence is the way to go!      

johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By johnny_spam
@MysterioMaximus:  @MysterioMaximus said:
"

I was just talking about this with someone on the site today.  

For digital, I'd be perfectly fine with it so long as it wasn’t made obligatory. There are numerous reasons as to why, not that I simply just fear change. I don't fear change, I just got done with a huge move as a matter of fact. I merely dislike mandatory changes to something I’d deem not broken. I don't like the thoughts of the self-owned comic stores going under. Though they'd still have collectables and gaming supplies, I'd imagine the bulk of revenue stems from the comics (along with the TPB' and Graphic Novel) themselves, thus digital would destroy many self-owned businesses. They’re unofficial nerd headquarters everywhere, places for unscripted daily meet and greets amongst commonly bonded people. These are places to share your hobby and meet fellow like-minded (and ideally future) friends. Don’t ax that! When you can stay inside and download the latest issues of Amazing without having to grace the sunshine, you lose that tangible comic community interaction and camaraderie which, to me, is really priceless. That’s all good and fine for those who don’t want to leave their Batcave sanctuaries, but what about those who do? I’m not anti-tech, I’m anti-monopolization. Everything that can also should present options, so the thoughts of having the future of all comics in only digital format don’t even remotely thrill me…even if I were to be persuaded onto the digital side. Nothing will ever replicate the smell of a comic, the feel of the pulpy or glossy paper between your fingers, the casualty and comfort of the format. I’ll never replace that unless my arm is bent backwards. I just can’t see this as the nerd equivalent of curmudgeon Grandpa hanging onto old vinyl or VHS. There’s far more to it than “Just fears change”.

Comics should never not be offered in print and I think that's the underlying issue. No one is anti-digital, the nay sayers are merely saying "Have you digital...so long as it doesn't come at the expense of our printed".

"

That is a big concern is the loss of comics shops. The comics fandom has been so much a part of comic shops the retailers are really part of the industry but it seems in the past few years there is the desire to remove the shop from the industry. I know people are dedicated now but if new comics are available to download then they will stop going to the stores and the shops will lose money. Also Comics aren't DVD's or music which are at the moment losing stores the shops will shut down quicker than video and record stores if it takes off. 
Dracade102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#22  Edited By Dracade102

I only want to Use digital for the Impossible-to-find comics I'll never Ever Dream of being able to own... Other than that i think it's an okay idea...
Rich-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23  Edited By Rich-Man

im not really a fan of digital comics, i read the odd few but you cant beat original comics! 

im scared we're gonna lose ordinary comics... do you think we  will?? will it all be digital? 

MysterioMaximus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MysterioMaximus
@johnny spam said:
" That is a big concern is the loss of comics shops. The comics fandom has been so much a part of comic shops the retailers are really part of the industry but it seems in the past few years there is the desire to remove the shop from the industry. I know people are dedicated now but if new comics are available to download then they will stop going to the stores and the shops will lose money. Also Comics aren't DVD's or music which are at the moment losing stores the shops will shut down quicker than video and record stores if it takes off.  "

Oh absolutely! The thoughts of loosing all these comic stores breaks my heart. I've made some very close friends tfrom trips to get comics.
Phone Ranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Phone Ranger
@doordoor123: i'm with ya on this!!!!
Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Erik
@MysterioMaximus said:
" @johnny spam said:
" That is a big concern is the loss of comics shops. The comics fandom has been so much a part of comic shops the retailers are really part of the industry but it seems in the past few years there is the desire to remove the shop from the industry. I know people are dedicated now but if new comics are available to download then they will stop going to the stores and the shops will lose money. Also Comics aren't DVD's or music which are at the moment losing stores the shops will shut down quicker than video and record stores if it takes off.  "
Oh absolutely! The thoughts of loosing all these comic stores breaks my heart. I've made some very close friends tfrom trips to get comics. "
That kind of thing is what Comicvine is for. There is really no actual need to have comics on paper other than to have a collectible. If comic stores go out of business, that is life. Digital comics make much more sense to people like me who do not get comics to have collectible issues but to read interesting stories. I think a lot of people would agree on that. Most people are moving to trades even now because they do not feel a strong attachment to having valuable issues. 
johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By johnny_spam
@erik: @erik said:
" @MysterioMaximus said:
" @johnny spam said:
Oh absolutely! The thoughts of loosing all these comic stores breaks my heart. I've made some very close friends tfrom trips to get comics. "
That kind of thing is what Comicvine is for. There is really no actual need to have comics on paper other than to have a collectible. If comic stores go out of business, that is life. Digital comics make much more sense to people like me who do not get comics to have collectible issues but to read interesting stories. I think a lot of people would agree on that. Most people are moving to trades even now because they do not feel a strong attachment to having valuable issues.  "
It's more about the people that will lose money comic book shops aren't like places like Blockbuster where only now they are feeling it comic shops will get wiped out quicker than those video stores and some poor b@stards are going to lose money. I know allot of people are wanting comics to be more mainstream but what has it gotten us so far? Cons being made into movie festivals. Comics just being made for the intention of being made into movies. Never mind that it seems that the mass public isn't interested. The removal of the shops will be just one more thing that may affect the comics industry not for the better.
Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Erik
@johnny spam said:
" @erik: @erik said:
" @MysterioMaximus said:
" @johnny spam said:
That kind of thing is what Comicvine is for. There is really no actual need to have comics on paper other than to have a collectible. If comic stores go out of business, that is life. Digital comics make much more sense to people like me who do not get comics to have collectible issues but to read interesting stories. I think a lot of people would agree on that. Most people are moving to trades even now because they do not feel a strong attachment to having valuable issues.  "
It's more about the people that will lose money comic book shops aren't like places like Blockbuster where only now they are feeling it comic shops will get wiped out quicker than those video stores and some poor b@stards are going to lose money. I know allot of people are wanting comics to be more mainstream but what has it gotten us so far? Cons being made into movie festivals. Comics just being made for the intention of being made into movies. Never mind that it seems that the mass public isn't interested. The removal of the shops will be just one more thing that may affect the comics industry not for the better. "
The only people that lose money would be the store owners. If you feel the need to support them, then that is your prerogative. Mine is comics. 
johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By johnny_spam
" @johnny spam said:
" @erik: @erik said:
" @MysterioMaximus said:
" @johnny spam said:
It's more about the people that will lose money comic book shops aren't like places like Blockbuster where only now they are feeling it comic shops will get wiped out quicker than those video stores and some poor b@stards are going to lose money. I know allot of people are wanting comics to be more mainstream but what has it gotten us so far? Cons being made into movie festivals. Comics just being made for the intention of being made into movies. Never mind that it seems that the mass public isn't interested. The removal of the shops will be just one more thing that may affect the comics industry not for the better. "
The only people that lose money would be the store owners. If you feel the need to support them, then that is your prerogative. Mine is comics.  "
It's not just the store owners it's the whole way the industry runs losing little bits of it makes it much more about making  comics into movie story boards making only comics popular for the moment before they move onto another comic and also if new comics are released online first they will be ripped or stolen somehow and with comics already at half the people there is to movies and music then it might make even the companies themselves lose money and I can not see them making comics if they are not making money on it.
Meteorite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 4

#30  Edited By Meteorite

I used to be for digital comics, since I don't live near a store, but now that I order my comics online I really don't care. People are free to read all the digital comics they want, just as long as it doesn't cripple the real comics I'm cool with it.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Erik
@johnny spam said: 
It's not just the store owners it's the whole way the industry runs losing little bits of it makes it much more about making  comics into movie story boards making only comics popular for the moment before they move onto another comic and also if new comics are released online first they will be ripped or stolen somehow and with comics already at half the people there is to movies and music then it might make even the companies themselves lose money and I can not see them making comics if they are not making money on it. "
Oh christ. A conspiracy theorist. 
Icon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#32  Edited By Icon
@MisterMollusk said:
Awesome idea.
johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By johnny_spam
" @johnny spam said: 
It's not just the store owners it's the whole way the industry runs losing little bits of it makes it much more about making  comics into movie story boards making only comics popular for the moment before they move onto another comic and also if new comics are released online first they will be ripped or stolen somehow and with comics already at half the people there is to movies and music then it might make even the companies themselves lose money and I can not see them making comics if they are not making money on it. "
Oh christ. A conspiracy theorist.  "
I am not a conspiracy theorist  they will not bother making something that they will not make money on and the way people behave when they get things they will rip them somehow and it will do damage.
MysterioMaximus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By MysterioMaximus
@erik said:

I’m going to have to respectfully disagree. There’s a crucial difference between  physical interaction and talking to someone via screen.  That’s not to say I don’t enjoy or appreciate ComicVine and what it does, nor does it mean I don't have any "internet" friends, but if I’m looking for close friends to ideally hang out and interact with…I’m not going to go online. A lot of people would agree on both sides, I haven’t a clue which has the majority, but I fail to see how it’s even really significant. One should not be at the expense of the other, it should be optional. Maybe that's the hippie liberal in me wanting everyone to just be happy, but...how's that a bad thing? Printed make much more sense to people like me who get a headache from reading from a screen, prefer having something tangible, and consider it far more leisurely and comfortable. They both have their pros and cons; I fail to see the purpose of destroying one option entirely. That’s nothing but digital people enforcing their preference upon others. And at the expense of Mom and Pop’s businesses…forgive me for placing people’s livelihood above comics. It has nothing to do with collectability or value, today’s contemporary comics are relatively worthless on the secondhand market. It’s the emotions that I’ve attached that make them worth something to me.    

Beatrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Beatrix

I actually just yesterday got the Marvel Comics app on my iPod Touch (iPad isn't out over here in bonny Britain yet) and whilst skeptical about the whole thing, I went ahead and download a free version of Astonishing X-Men #1. The experience was awesome. 

Bearing in mind I was enjoying this comic book on my small iPod screen, as opposed to the rather spectacular iPad, this is impressive. The transition is seamless, you loose none of the detail, and way the panels can be viewed one by one actually makes the experience more involving and cinematic.  

PROS 
• the digital releases are over £1.50 cheaper, and advert free! 
• seamless, cinematic almost, whilst staying true to comic books – none of this 'motion comic' business. 
• take up little-to-no space, and if you delete a comic you don't have to repay to download it again 
• really vivid colours, crisp text 

CONS 
• digital comics are released a few months or a year after their physical counterpart…… currently. I foresee that this will change with the iPhone 4.0 update, when Marvel and other publishers get their act together and realise that this is a seriously  
• no way to import you physical collection. 
• iPad/Pods only partially compensate for the in-hand feeling.

Bangorang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Bangorang

Authors and artists and the big publishing names will still make money whether or not the format is digital or paper. It's the store owners that will lose out. 
In my city I have no comic book store, I can only buy graphic novels in Waterstones and comic books in a convenience store some 40 min walk away. Digital comics would be awesome for me in that I would keep up with that stirling writing and stunning illustrating and be up to date. I never have a chance of meeting and making friends in a comic book store in the middle of Scotland, however I do have the chance to meet and make friends on Comic Vine! Awww (Insert puking here.) Otherwise it's the games workshop and that's a whole different can of worms 

I can't afford an ipad but if I can download them onto my computer - and more importantly if others can - it could easily, EASILY boost the market more than ever before in terms of popularity.   

As for copyright, if people wanted to steal comics they would. Being worried about people ripping them off digitally is pretty stupid when scanners are in most homes. 

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Erik
@johnny spam:  
They do not make comic books solely for the purpose of making a movie. I see no X-Force movie in the works. How about Secret Warriors? They were making comics before they became movies and will do so well after they stop making movies for them. 

@MysterioMaximus:  
You are saying that it is impossible for people who live within a reasonable distance from each other who share a fondness for comics cannot possibly meet anywhere else other than a comic shop? 

I have an emotional attachment to my ipod and soon will develop a similar attachment to my ipad and the issues therein. But what are you more attached to, the story within the issue or the paper it is printed on?
RubyShadesp3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38  Edited By RubyShadesp3
@MysterioMaximus: Exactly! To each their own. That's the wonderful thing about having options.
brewski420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 123

User Lists: 11

#39  Edited By brewski420

i hope digital never replaces printed. if it does my comic collecting days will be over
thatlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#40  Edited By thatlad

Big problem I see with digital, specifically the comixology/marvel apps, is that your are tied to the ipad or specific Apple product to view and store your comics. You could spend a butt-load of cash on a comic collection but you would lose your right to choose a new product to view them on.  

Basically Apple would create a monopoly and once they have that monopoly they could exploit you. I'm not definite on this but I'd bet there's something in the T&C's, that comixology have to adhere to, that states the in-app purchases cant cross over to say an android app. 

Competition is vital, this product could create a serious compromise to consumer freedom. 

johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By johnny_spam
@erik: They have made movies based on comics in the past but now it is becoming the goal for many when companies like Radical are made that are pretty much comics that are movie pitches or that stupid thing Tyresee Gibson made. The fact that Marvel wants to make a Power Pack, Dazzler and Luke Cage is a sign it is becoming the goal. The sad thing is, is that people seem only interested in certain superheroes. 

And It's not the digital comic itself I have a problem with but the possible negative side affects they can make for the sake of convince. 
MysterioMaximus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By MysterioMaximus
@erik said:
@MysterioMaximus:  You are saying that it is impossible for people who live within a reasonable distance from each other who share a fondness for comics cannot possibly meet anywhere else other than a comic shop?  I have an emotional attachment to my ipod and soon will develop a similar attachment to my ipad and the issues therein. But what are you more attached to, the story within the issue or the paper it is printed on? "

I haven't a clue how you've come to that. No, what I'm saying is that distance makes everything more difficult. And as for the second part: The story is the issues of paper it's printed on, hence printed on.
Mutant X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Mutant X

I don't like the idea of digital comics one bit. They're called comic books for a reason. And there's no collector value in a digital comic, which is one of the things I love most about comics.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Erik
@MysterioMaximus said:
" @erik said:
@MysterioMaximus:  You are saying that it is impossible for people who live within a reasonable distance from each other who share a fondness for comics cannot possibly meet anywhere else other than a comic shop?  I have an emotional attachment to my ipod and soon will develop a similar attachment to my ipad and the issues therein. But what are you more attached to, the story within the issue or the paper it is printed on? "

I haven't a clue how you've come to that. No, what I'm saying is that distance makes everything more difficult. And as for the second part: The story is the issues of paper it's printed on, hence printed on. "
I do not know where I lost you. It was a direct and reasonable response to your post.  

The story is the same whether it is on paper or digital. Hence it does not really matter what format it is in if you are just interested in the story. The more convenient format is likely to be selected. 
Joe Venom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Joe Venom

Itunes has pretty much killed music, and if digital comics get any bigger the Ipad may kill comics!
if you want to go so far as to pay to download comics why not just download them for free, and it won't be long before many people begin to see it that way.

Also do I have to own an Ipad just to view these Digital Comics that would just suck i'll tell you right now I will not be buying that "THING" $500+ dollars they can kiss my arse, if they want to do this right why not invest money to make their own device for comic viewing and storing and not help increase the sells of that over sized Ipod.

I love new technology as much as the next guy but leave my comics alone and get to work on the flying cars I was promised back in the 5th grade!

MysterioMaximus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By MysterioMaximus
@erik said: "I do not know where I lost you. It was a direct and reasonable response to your post.  

The story is the same whether it is on paper or digital. Hence it does not really matter what format it is in if you are just interested in the story. The more convenient format is likely to be selected.  "

You getting “You are saying that it is impossible for people who live within a reasonable distance from each other who share a fondness for comics cannot possibly meet anywhere else other than a comic shop?”  from “There’s a crucial difference between  physical interaction and talking to someone via screen.  That’s not to say I don’t enjoy or appreciate ComicVine and what it does, nor does it mean I don't have any "internet" friends, but if I’m looking for close friends to ideally hang out and interact with…I’m not going to go online.” is hardly reasonable. It’s reasonably to call your reply a sweeping assumption

The most likely scenario is that we get digital and keep printed. Compromise! Convenience is a matter of opinion. What applies to you does not apply to all or even necessarily many. You’re saying the format doesn’t matter whatsoever. Well then let me take that line literally. Alright…lets print new comics on the sides of buildings. Why not chisel them into stone if the format doesn't really matter? It's still the same story, right? Somehow I can’t see that going over too well. Format does matter for numerous reasons. It’s not as narrow as “It’s still the story,” as crucial elements like, um, how you read it come into play. For someone like me, as well as many, avidly reading from a screen is not desirable. In fact, it's headache inducing.Perhaps it's something that could grow on me and others, but why should I be made to do it?  If this is something you cannot or what more so sounds like you chose not to attempt to understand, that’s perfectly fine. But there are more opinions in this world than your own, so respecting it is the good and mature place to start.    

iloverobots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By iloverobots
@Mutant X said:

" I don't like the idea of digital comics one bit. They're called comic books for a reason. And there's no collector value in a digital comic, which is one of the things I love most about comics. "

What about audio books?
johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By johnny_spam
@Joe Venom:  @Joe Venom said:

" Itunes has pretty much killed music, and if digital comics get any bigger the Ipad may kill comics! if you want to go so far as to pay to download comics why not just download them for free, and it won't be long before many people begin to see it that way.   Also do I have to own an Ipad just to view these Digital Comics that would just suck i'll tell you right now I will not be buying that "THING" $500+ dollars they can kiss my arse, if they want to do this right why not invest money to make their own device for comic viewing and storing and not help increase the sells of that over sized Ipod.  I love new technology as much as the next guy but leave my comics alone and get to work on the flying cars I was promised back in the 5th grade! "

My fears exactly it makes sense only new comic book writers are using digital and web comics so they can get their work out there. Allot of them use the digital comics to get noticed I am not sure how much money they make on them,.
Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Erik
@MysterioMaximus:  
Okay. Can you find somewhere in my post where i said that paper comics need to be obliterated? As for the rest of your post, it is pretty clear it was asinine lecturing from an equal nobody so I will not even bother to address it. 
MysterioMaximus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By MysterioMaximus
@erik said:
" @MysterioMaximus:  Okay. Can you find somewhere in my post where i said that paper comics need to be obliterated? As for the rest of your post, it is pretty clear it was asinine lecturing from an equal nobody so I will not even bother to address it.  "

You're such a nice guy, huh? *rollseyes*