• 58 results
#1 Edited by MarlboroMan (1609 posts) - - Show Bio

First of all i have no intension to make anything offensive so i hope they don't sound like.

Which characters do you think would be better or cooler or just funnier as Gay or Bisexual. My answers are for female characters Wonder Woman and Ms. Marvel they have already too much tomboy thing going on i think they should have been gay from the very start.

And for male characters Wonder Man(he just always gave me the vibe)

And also i always wanted Superman to be asexual for some reason

so what do you think? Who do you have in your mind?

#3 Posted by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

None...

#4 Edited by Battle_Forum_Junkie (7833 posts) - - Show Bio

Why change any of them?

#5 Posted by AllStarSuperman (21752 posts) - - Show Bio
#6 Posted by MarlboroMan (1609 posts) - - Show Bio
#7 Edited by Battle_Forum_Junkie (7833 posts) - - Show Bio

@allstarsuperman said:

@peppeyhare said:

None...

@battle_forum_junkie said:

Why change any of them?

this

Just a plot twist just like any other that people make up in the forum so better question is why not? and why so serious?

Because there's no reason to change them. Honestly, I think the characters should stay the way they are.

#8 Posted by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

@marlboroman: Why not? Because it doesn't add anything other than shock value and controversy. You asked a question and I gave my opinion on it

#9 Posted by bob808 (6767 posts) - - Show Bio

I would change Alan Scott into a heterosexual again.

#10 Posted by laidblack (1240 posts) - - Show Bio

Just make new characters.

#11 Edited by explodingpineapple (837 posts) - - Show Bio

Make Alan Scott straight, Northstar straight, Hulkling Straight, Wican straight, and keep other straight characters straight.

#12 Posted by VoodooPenguin (974 posts) - - Show Bio

#13 Posted by MarlboroMan (1609 posts) - - Show Bio

@marlboroman said:

@allstarsuperman said:

@peppeyhare said:

None...

Why change any of them?

this

Just a plot twist just like any other that people make up in the forum so better question is why not? and why so serious?

Because there's no reason to change them. Honestly, I think the characters should stay the way they are.

This is just empty humour talk, no one is really changing anything like i said just some plot twist, no one is trying to grab some signatures and send it to the writers of Marvel

#14 Posted by momo111191 (246 posts) - - Show Bio

not that im homophobic but Alan Scott should have stayed straight. If dc wanting to show they where liberal then they should have made a new character not change a character that has one of the most appealing families in the dcu gay.

#15 Posted by Vitalius (1816 posts) - - Show Bio
#16 Posted by MarlboroMan (1609 posts) - - Show Bio

@momo111191: I don't agree on that much I am not against characters changing preference later, i like real life elements in comics

#17 Edited by Battle_Forum_Junkie (7833 posts) - - Show Bio

@marlboroman said:

@marlboroman said:

@allstarsuperman said:

@peppeyhare said:

None...

Why change any of them?

this

This is just empty humour talk, no one is really changing anything like i said just some plot twist, no one is trying to grab some signatures and send it to the writers of Marvel

Yeah, I get that. But you asked for opinions and I gave you mine. I think characters should keep the sexual preferences they where intended to have when they where created. That includes characters like Hulkling and Wiccan who where created homosexual.

#18 Posted by VoodooPenguin (974 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't understand how being gay could make a character funnier? And just because a girl is a tomboy doesn't mean she should be a lesbian? I like boys and I'm not a sissy. This is kind of offensive.

#19 Edited by Farkam (4884 posts) - - Show Bio

How would a character be "better" or "cooler" as a gay person? That makes 0 sense lmao. The things you kids come up with nowadays...

#20 Edited by Avenging-X-Bolt (12989 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd finally make Jason Todd being gay official. That's pretty much it.

#21 Posted by MarlboroMan (1609 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't understand how being gay could make a character funnier? And just because a girl is a tomboy doesn't mean she should be a lesbian? I like boys and I'm not a sissy. This is kind of offensive.

By funnier i meant more enjoyable and of course being a tomboy doesn't necessarily mean gay, i am not trying to be stereotypical about anything. English is not my native language so i tried to be less offensive as i can

#22 Posted by laidblack (1240 posts) - - Show Bio

Make Alan Scott straight, Northstar straight, Hulkling Straight, Wican straight, and keep other straight characters straight.

NO!

#23 Posted by explodingpineapple (837 posts) - - Show Bio
#24 Posted by VoodooPenguin (974 posts) - - Show Bio

@marlboroman: Are you sure you're not trying to make stereotypes? Because:

they have already too much tomboy thing going on i think they should have been gay from the very start.

And for male characters Wonder Man(i always feels like one day he is going to say i am fabulous bitch!)

And there's no way you can word this to make it not offensive. I have no problem with gay jokes but this is just terrible.

#25 Posted by laidblack (1240 posts) - - Show Bio
#26 Edited by MarlboroMan (1609 posts) - - Show Bio

@farkam said:

How would a character be "better" or "cooler" as a gay person? That makes 0 sense lmao. The things you kids come up with nowadays...

Why not the character might have been given the gay vibe a lot and some people can think it could have been better from the start if he/she was officially homosexual or whatever from the start, and also i am far from being a kid

#27 Posted by MarlboroMan (1609 posts) - - Show Bio

@marlboroman: Are you sure you're not trying to make stereotypes? Because:

@marlboroman said:
they have already too much tomboy thing going on i think they should have been gay from the very start.

And for male characters Wonder Man(i always feels like one day he is going to say i am fabulous bitch!)

And there's no way you can word this to make it not offensive. I have no problem with gay jokes but this is just terrible.

Where i come from homophobia almost does not exist so i am having a hard time everyone(and their beloved characters) being so defensive and getting very offended about being compared to a gay person, i am trying to get your point but you are the one making things offensive when you pointing out certain sentences. I am going to remove that joke anyway though.

#28 Edited by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

I would like to see a gay character portrayed in a flamboyant way. It's almost as if writers are too afraid to do so in case it offends or re-enforces a stereotype.

I hope I am wrong and there's a depiction of a well known character this way. I certainly appreciate the affection and angst of a homosexual relationship written maturely and realisticaly, but two of my friends kinda flipped through the pages of Young Avengers and were like, "That's it?"

Just a thought that ran through my mind reading this thread.

(edit: oops, shoulda mentioned my friends are a gay couple)

#29 Edited by Kairan1979 (16731 posts) - - Show Bio

Non. Alan Scott should have stayed straight.

#30 Posted by MarlboroMan (1609 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis: Agreed about not having a character not portrayed in flamboyant way but i still think Wiccan and Hulklings marriage was a big step for American comics

#31 Posted by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio
#32 Edited by RetconCrisis (3740 posts) - - Show Bio

They did it with Alan Scott :P

But I preferred him straight, because now Obsidian can't exist T.T

#33 Posted by MarlboroMan (1609 posts) - - Show Bio
#34 Posted by Fallen_Crippled (6451 posts) - - Show Bio

Make Alan Scott straight. Every other character should stay how they are. I don't think you can make a character funnier, cooler or better by making them bisexual or gay.

Why? They were originally made gay. Why change that?

I agree.

#35 Edited by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6257 posts) - - Show Bio

They did it with Alan Scott :P

But I preferred him straight, because now Obsidian can't exist T.T

It's kind of the other way around. They made him gay because Obsidian couldn't exist, due to Alan Scott being made younger.

#36 Posted by Aiden Cross (15562 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis: Bunker from the Teen Titans is meant to be a bit more flamboyant. (Haven't read much with him in it so i couldnt say). But this is what Brett Booth had to say about his creation:

"We wanted to show an interesting character who's homosexuality is part of him, not something that's hidden. Sure they are gay people who you wouldn't know are gay right off the bat, but there are others who are a more flamboyant, and we thought it would be nice to actually see them portrayed in comics. Did we go over the top, I don't think so. I wanted you to know he might be gay as soon as you see him. Our TT is partly about diversity of ANY kind, its about all kinds of teens getting together to help each other. It is a very difficult line to walk, will he be as I've read in some of the comments 'fruity'? Not that I'm aware of. Will he be more effeminate than what we've seen before, the 'typical' gay male comic character, yes. Does it scare the shit out of me that I might inadvertently piss off the group I want to reflect in a positive way, you're damn straight (pun intended!)"

#38 Edited by Spideysense44 (3372 posts) - - Show Bio

Wasnt colossus gay at one point yea that shuldnt hav happened at all

#40 Posted by dondave (36583 posts) - - Show Bio

Wasnt colossus gay at one point yea that shuldnt hav happened at all

It's Ultimate Colossus that's gay

#41 Posted by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

@aiden_cross:

I didn't even know about this character! Very interesting and I love what Booth had to say.

#42 Edited by tupiaz (2180 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm guessing all the people that want character to have their sexual orientations as it was meant to be wants Batman to be a homosexual/pedophile.

#43 Edited by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6257 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not sure if making a character gay or bisexual would automatically make a character better, cooler or funnier. It would perhaps make their comic universe better though, by having better LGBT representation.

I don't imagine I'd like them any less if they were gay, but Wonder Man being gay would take away the awkward/interesting relationship with Scarlet Witch and Vision. If Ms. Marvel had been gay from the start, I don't know if much of her story would be different.

If Carol was gay, and her story had gone pretty much the same way, we would have a much higher profile gay Avenger, which would be nice. Maybe the Avengers, and the Marvel Universe would be a little better if Carol was gay, but as a character, she'd probably be much the same.

The tomboy comment is perhaps a little inappropriate though.

#44 Edited by explodingpineapple (837 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think that Alan Scott was originally gay actually.

#45 Posted by i_like_swords (14003 posts) - - Show Bio

Doctor Octopus

#46 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33069 posts) - - Show Bio

@marlboroman said:

@allstarsuperman said:

@peppeyhare said:

None...

Why change any of them?

this

Because real life pepole change, why not comic characters?

#47 Edited by JulieDC (925 posts) - - Show Bio

I find that changing a character's race, gender or orientation is merely putting a band-aid on a very bloody wound. Its an attempt to "fix" a problem without actually doing what is necessary to truly fix it. So I wouldn't change anything.

#48 Edited by RetconCrisis (3740 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think that Alan Scott was originally gay actually.

He wasn't gay before the New 52 retcon, since he married Jade and Obsidian was their son in the Pre-52.

#49 Posted by PowerHerc (83401 posts) - - Show Bio
#50 Edited by Fallschirmjager (16818 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman dumps WW. Goes out with Batman.

Cyclops and Wolverine finally confess their love