Censoship in Marvel and DC comics

ariesxmasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ariesxmasters

As I read more and more comics I'm seeing it, so lets talk censorship, because I see a lot of it and sometimes wonder if it is necessary. How far should censorship be takin' when it comes to comics? I wonder a lot of the times if censorship is even necessary since a lot of the times these comics are aiming for more of a adult and mature audience anyway. I mean anyone from the age of 12+(The recommended age) has heard, and seen probably anything these comics artists could probably ever censor(ad least in the language department, and a simple middle finger here or there). Anything nude of course you'd have to bump up the age to 17+, but I think at 12 years old you have sufficient intelligence that a little middle finger, or a "F bomb" wouldn't blow your mind or take you by that much of a surprise. Do you feel little things like this should be censored? Do you feel them doing this is protecting younger audiences from anything they hadn't already seen? And a complete waste of time?

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

naw man. we don't wana get too dark or gritty. lets keep everything lollypops.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

It's not like it causes a problem. Besides comics are already becoming too non kid friendly as it is, and at the end of the day comics really are for kids.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Kind depends on sistuation and the comic.

ariesxmasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vitalius said:

Kind depends on sistuation and the comic.

Would you say a middle finger could go uncensored?

catfightfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Maybe we should bring back the Comics Code Authority?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Maybe in mature comics

Skit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Skit

That's why we have imprints like Vertigo.

I do think censoring somebody giving the middle finger is silly though, especially considering you can see that in GotG which a lot of kids saw.

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I kinda wonder why it matters that the middle finger got bleep-out. Are you saying the comic would somehow be better if it was shown? if so, why? For me, it makes almost zero difference if it get shown or not, and frankly, I prefer it doesn't. Showing someone flipping the bird is not more artistic or better story-telling than 'censoring it." And you do realize by the strictest of definitions, this is not really "censorship."

Guru_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 559

Its abit weird but not really, I suppose I would prefer to see everything as it happens.

MatthewParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

@ariesxmasters: "but I think at 12 years old you have sufficient intelligence that a little middle finger, or a "F bomb" wouldn't blow your mind or take you by that much of a surprise."

Swearing doesn't get censored because the kids are to dumb,or because they haven't heard it before. It's because kids that read comics look up to the characters and want to copy them. And so having the characters blatantly swear is a bad influence for them. At least that's why i think they do it.

It's not like it causes a problem. Besides comics are already becoming too non kid friendly as it is, and at the end of the day comics really are for kids.

I totally agree.