CaV: EyeDCyou v. Symbioticspider-man - VOTING

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By EyeDCyou

VOTING IS OPEN. PLEASE COMMENT WITH WHO YOU THINK MADE THE BETTER ARGUMENT. Please also give a short explanation for why they won.

Welcome to the first Gen Discussion CaV. You can find the main thread floating somewhere on the GD forum.

Which 2014 CBM Was Better?

Guardians of the Galaxy - EyeDCyou

No Caption Provided

X-Men: Days of Future Past - Symbioticspider-Man

No Caption Provided

CaV GD Guidelines

- We will be debating on which film we believe was a better CBM from 2014.

- Place bias aside please.

- Formulate arguments in an intelligent fashion. Make sure your points aren't too general, and can be proven or supported.

- FOR VOTERS: Please give a short reason for why you're voting for either user. Also try to put your bias aside.

This is essentially the trial post for this thread. If it goes well, this could be a neat concept for us to build on. This thread will also be used as a learning experience to see how to improve on the guidelines.

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for life_without_progress
life_without_progress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

Avatar image for symbioticspider-man
SymbioticSpider-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

So pumped for this one.

Beata

TheDandyMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Seeing as it's the first of it's kind, tag me for voting.

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By EyeDCyou

@symbioticspider-man: Alright we'll start with a little introduction for each of your arguments. You can model yours off of mine.

Guardians of the Galaxy

No Caption Provided

Guardians of the Galaxy... has there been a better comic book film this year? NO. I'd say GotG was even the best CBM of the last two years. Anyway, today I'm going to prove why Guardians was a better CBM than DoFP.

Loading Video...

(Listen to this for optimum pleasure.)

Critical Reception

Rotten Tomatoes: 91% with an avg score of 7.7/10 from critics. 95% & 4.5/5 from fans.

Metacritic: 76/100 from critics. 8.7/10 from users.

imdb: 8.6/10 from over 200k users.

Theather Gross

$320M domestic as of now (the film is still in theaters.)

$645M internationally.

It is currently the 8th highest grossing CBM in America.

Like Nothing We've ever seen

GotG is by far the most unique CBM we've ever seen. It's basically Star Wars, and how could you not like that? America is in love with the Guardians right now, in fact, only 1 origin story CBM has made more money than Guardians, and that is Spider-Man 1. It often takes 2 or 3 CBMs to get fans to fall in love with a franchise, but Guardians did it after 1 film. I have faith that knowing some of these facts, GotG was the best CBM of the year.

Alright, now you can create something like this. Then we can get to the full debate.

SymbioticSpider-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eyedcyou

X-men: Days of Future Past

No Caption Provided

X-men: Days of Future Past was clearly the better movie. Maybe even the best CBM in the last five years.

Action

Loading Video...

This is clearly where X-men DoFP definitely stomps. The action was gripping and just freaking awesome.

Atmosphere

X-men DoFP definitely knew how to balance comedy and seriousness in a movie, while Guardians, aside from the beginning and end, was usually about comedy.

Counter-Statement

So far, DoFP has both grossed more and has had nearly the same reception.

Your move.

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@symbioticspider-man: While DoFP has out-grossed GotG internationally, Guardians has won the money war in the US. X-Men has also been out for 2 months longer than Guardians. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of clips to show because this film isn't out on DVD yet, but I'll work with what I have. To counter your action scene, I'll refer to the ending battle between the Nova Corps and Ronan's fleet.

This battle was extremely well planned out and beautiful to watch unfold. The CG work was top-notch (better than some of the CG in DoFP I must say), and the detail that went into every Nova ship was just brilliant. An aerial combat scene (when done well) is one of the coolest things too see come to life on screen, and Guardians had one of the best aerial/space battle scenes I've ever seen. Not to mention, the parallel fight scene that occurred between Nebula & Gamora while the mayhem was ensuing outside the ship. I'd be willing to say that the Gamora v. Nebula fight was second only to Bucky v. Cap for this years CBM fight scenes. It was well choreographed, compelling, and put you on the edge of your seat.

SymbioticSpider-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eyedcyou said:

@symbioticspider-man: While DoFP has out-grossed GotG internationally, Guardians has won the money war in the US. X-Men has also been out for 2 months longer than Guardians. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of clips to show because this film isn't out on DVD yet, but I'll work with what I have. To counter your action scene, I'll refer to the ending battle between the Nova Corps and Ronan's fleet.

This battle was extremely well planned out and beautiful to watch unfold. The CG work was top-notch (better than some of the CG in DoFP I must say), and the detail that went into every Nova ship was just brilliant. An aerial combat scene (when done well) is one of the coolest things too see come to life on screen, and Guardians had one of the best aerial/space battle scenes I've ever seen. Not to mention, the parallel fight scene that occurred between Nebula & Gamora while the mayhem was ensuing outside the ship. I'd be willing to say that the Gamora v. Nebula fight was second only to Bucky v. Cap for this years CBM fight scenes. It was well choreographed, compelling, and put you on the edge of your seat.

Nope, DoFP had much much better action sequences. Magneto's metal bending truly contributed to this a lot. Also, Magneto was MILES better than Ronan. How can you compare Ronan the Accuser, to MAGETO? I mean, even without the other movies to contribute to it, young Magneto was truly a force to be reckoned with. Ronan was barely a character, he was a generic bad*ss with nothing that set him apart from other villains.

iDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm interested to see how this turns out.

@eyedcyou tag me for voting please.

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By EyeDCyou

@symbioticspider-man: As much as it hurts my argument, I will agree that Ronan was a weak villain. Nebula was far superior to him in that category. But to counter your villain, GotG had a more enjoyable team to watch. DoFP had plenty of good actors, but the team wasn't as solid as guardians. You always wanted to see the whole team together, and you cared about all the characters in that team equally. I believe Guardians did a better job at executing the 'team' portion of these two team movies.

SymbioticSpider-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eyedcyou said:

@symbioticspider-man: As much as it hurts my argument, I will agree that Ronan was a weak villain. Nebula was far superior to him in that category. But to counter your villain, GotG had a more enjoyable team to watch. DoFP had plenty of good actors, but the team wasn't as solid as guardians. You always wanted to see the whole team together, and you cared about all the characters in that team equally. I believe Guardians did a better job at executing the 'team' portion of these two team movies.

Psh, sure. The relationship between Magneto and Xavier was much better than the Guardians'. The thought of two equally intelligent men with conflicting ideals. As entertaining as the interaction between the Guardians is, Xavier's and Magneto's is much more interesting. Wolverine as the main character is also fitting and his interaction between the other characters is pretty solid as well, but overall X and Mags is truly much more interesting than the Guardians'.

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@symbioticspider-man: I agree that the chemistry between mags and X is quite interesting, but I still disagree that it proves to be more interesting than the Guradians. The X-Men don't have too many conflicting personalities. A lot of them are very serious and intelligent, which doesn't always make for interesting dialogue.

Let's look at the guardians

Star-Lord - Quick talking, thinks the world of himself, over-confident.

Gamora - Level headed, serious, BA.

Rocket - Loud, asshole, loves a fight.

Drax - intimidating, dim-witted, old-school.

Groot - Groot

It's a perfect balance of serious, silly, mean, nice, smart, dumb, & groot. It makes for great on-screen chemistry that no other CBM has been able to capture from a team.

SymbioticSpider-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eyedcyou said:

@symbioticspider-man: I agree that the chemistry between mags and X is quite interesting, but I still disagree that it proves to be more interesting than the Guradians. The X-Men don't have too many conflicting personalities. A lot of them are very serious and intelligent, which doesn't always make for interesting dialogue.

Let's look at the guardians

Star-Lord - Quick talking, thinks the world of himself, over-confident.

Gamora - Level headed, serious, BA.

Rocket - Loud, asshole, loves a fight.

Drax - intimidating, dim-witted, old-school.

Groot - Groot

It's a perfect balance of serious, silly, mean, nice, smart, dumb, & groot. It makes for great on-screen chemistry that no other CBM has been able to capture from a team.

While that is good for laughs, I still don't see anything in any interactions in GotG that matches Mags and X. Hell, Star-lord trying to have a romantic moment with Gamora seemed a tad bit forced. And if you count this as an interaction between characters, Star-Lord having a dance-off with Ronan was pretty stupid.

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@symbioticspider-man: I raise you the scene where Rocket finally breaks down and tells everyone what happened to him. It was very emotional and really countered the comedy in a nice unforced manner. It brought out the feels in all of us..

SymbioticSpider-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eyedcyou said:

@symbioticspider-man: I raise you the scene where Rocket finally breaks down and tells everyone what happened to him. It was very emotional and really countered the comedy in a nice unforced manner. It brought out the feels in all of us..

Loading Video...

This scene was better.

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@symbioticspider-man: We Are Groot beats that. & The follow up with Rocket as he finds his buddy laying in ruins.

SymbioticSpider-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eyedcyou said:

@symbioticspider-man: We Are Groot beats that. & The follow up with Rocket as he finds his buddy laying in ruins.

True, true. We are Groot indeed was one of the best scenes in the movie. But DoFP had much better acted scenes, you can't deny that.

X-men DoFP also had a better story. Going back in time to prevent the extinction of the mutants is much more interesting than the generic save the world (galaxy, whatever) plot. And the way they defeated Ronan was stupid.

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@symbioticspider-man: I'll admit that Ronan was weak, and the plot might be a tad generic, but how about this. Guardians had much better supporting characters that existed outside the main cast.

Yondu

The Collector

Nebula

Nova Prime

Dey (John C. Riley)

Not to mention the inclusion of the Nova core. I think that was incredibly neat to see considering it wasn't a Nova film.

SymbioticSpider-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eyedcyou said:

@symbioticspider-man: I'll admit that Ronan was weak, and the plot might be a tad generic, but how about this. Guardians had much better supporting characters that existed outside the main cast.

Yondu

The Collector

Nebula

Nova Prime

Dey (John C. Riley)

Not to mention the inclusion of the Nova core. I think that was incredibly neat to see considering it wasn't a Nova film.

How can you compare those (besides Yondu) to Mystique, Beast, and the original Xavier and Magneto? I actually had forgotten some of the supporting cast in GotG.

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SymbioticSpider-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eyedcyou said:

@symbioticspider-man: I was actually considering those characters to be in the main cast.

Really? Oh well. Quick silver then. I'll let you have this one though lol.

Is there anything else to discuss about these movies?

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@symbioticspider-man: Hmmm... obviously we could make our closing points, but I think it's possible there's more...

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SymbioticSpider-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eyedcyou: Well, I got nothing. You make your closing point first. lol.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is like making me decide which one of my childrens i love the most.

Its my daughter.

but this is more cruel.

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By EyeDCyou

@symbioticspider-man:

Closing Points

Now I'd like to make a few more points about the film.

The Comedy

Guardians of the Galaxy was hilarious. Easily the funniest CBM of all time, and you gotta appreciate comedy when it's done well.

The Soundtrack

AWESOME MIX VOL. 1 IS THE REALEST THING SINCE BOILING WATER. Seriously one of the best popular music soundtracks I've ever heard. Definitely made the movie better.

It leaves us wanting more

Even after just one film, we want more Guardians as soon as possible. The film is quotable, rememberable, and just enjoyable as hell. I hope that after reviewing my case, you'll agree that Guardians of the Galaxy is the superior CBM.

Loading Video...
Enjoy
Enjoy

SymbioticSpider-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

X-men: Days of Future Past: Closing Points

Just the right atmosphere

X-men: Days of Future Past has just the right balance to both comedy and realism.

The Action

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

This one is a big one, as there's just so many awesome action sequences in this movie with incredible CGI effects that just amaze you completely.

Acting

All the actors in this movie were just amazing, the best in any CBM.

The Villain

Young Magneto. Is there anything else to say?
Young Magneto. Is there anything else to say?

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Day of Future Past you b@zt@rdz make the take a decision.

No Caption Provided

DarthVxder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like GOTG but Magneto is always so good. Especially when he talks about how X left the mutants, Mystique should be in her blue form always or obviously the baseball park getting ripped out of the ground and dropped by the white house + awsome killer robots.

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Up

TheDandyMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I'm slightly giving the edge to SymbioticSpider-Man. Putting aside my biases (or trying to), I felt as if he won me over when it comes to the villain which is a key part to a film as well as the plot which is also a major part of the movie. I feel as if more could be done in the case of DOFP's supporting characters, it was cool to see the likes of Blink and Warpath but I'm still giving a small lead to SS-M. Still, EyeDCyou put up a fair argument and it came down to a small advantage for X-men.

SymbioticSpider-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

Both were good, but DOFP did have a few problems with it. Like the nightmare-inducing montage of the X-Men getting killed, or the time travel powers Kitty Pryde pulled out of her (admittedly very nice) ass. So I'd have to say Guardians.

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#38  Edited By Transformers1024

I'm ashamed no ones mentioned Quicksilver,

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SymbioticSpider-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eyedcyou: Of Course I would be winning. I'm Batman. :p

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

as a CaV I'd vote for EyeDCyou, voting for the movie I prefer I'd say X-Men tho

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

Gonna go with SSM.

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

4-3 right now SSM is up. Probably just gonna say first to 5 wins since this is a new idea.

iDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By iDude

I'll vote for @eyedcyou I felt that he made a better argument.

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Up

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#46  Edited By ccraft

@idude said:

I'll vote for @eyedcyou I felt that he made a better argument.

Agreed, even though I think DOFP was the better film.

I vote for eyedcou

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By EyeDCyou

@symbioticspider-man: Woo! I win 5-4 :) Good debate my friend. I'd say this was a success and will be continued for the future.

Also can someone bump the OP? I can't.

http://www.comicvine.com/forums/gen-discussion-1/challenge-a-viner-gen-discussion-edition-1606927/#13