inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

The Good

This is the issue of Catalysm where everything comes together. Spider-Man has been teamed up with the UItimates for a while and now the X-Men have made their way over. It's a very natural transition for the X-Men. It doesn't feel forced, seeing as their tie-in just came to a close, and they just made it to see the destruction Galactus has caused. It's a very nice lead in for the rest of this issue and Kitty Pryde finds she's needed in the final battle.

Kitty isn't the only character who is key to the battle. Jean Grey becomes an intricate part of the story. I complained, quite a bit, with the conclusion of ULTIMATE X-MEN because Jean was allowed to just waltz back into the X-Men after waging war on them; however, she's a huge part of this issue, and it's great to see her as a team player again. Through Jean, the reader gets to know a bit more about Galactus and why he is on Earth. Believe it or not, the reader may feel a bit bad for Galactus here. He knows he's lost but doesn't know where he is, other than on an Earth that isn't the Earth of his universe. He's weak, but still incredibly powerful compared to everything and everyone else.

Ultimate Captain America is pretty bad ass. Readers knew that the first time he let someone know that the "A" on his helmet doesn't stand for "France." (Yes, that really happened) He goes for the gold here by doing anything he can to stall/stop Galactus. The cover gives a bit away to what happens here, but not everything. Cap fights here like a champ and while it's not entirely sure whether or not he dies, it's an incredibly fun time. Bendis really knows how to make a book fun to read, even when what's happening to the characters is completely nuts and the reader thinks nothing good will come of the event.

The Bad

The only real problem with this issue was that Bagley's art was a bit off here and there. There was some inconsistency within faces, even in the opening pages. On top of that, there's a whole bunch of "everyone is surprised at something" going on here. Kitty Pryde alone spends most of the issue with the look of utter shock on her face.

The Verdict

The last issue of this event was a bit of a bump in the road, but issue #4 really gets this story back on track. The introduction of the X-Men works well here and the scenes with Jean Grey are one of the many highlights of the issue. While Galactus is the villain here, the reader will get to feel for the character, as he's truly just lost in this world. Writer Brian Michael Bendis has crafted a very fun story with a lot of peril and suspense. The only real complaint here is a bit of inconsistency with Bagley's art, but aside from that, this was an excellent issue.

GrenadeFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

The coloring was weird in this issue and Bagley's Monica Chang looked Caucasian. I liked this issue, I can't wait for the finale next month.

Experio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I found Kitty annoying.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't wait to see how it ends, so pumped for Ultimate FF and All-New Ultimates!!!!!!!!

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

...19 pages....

GrenadeFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By tupiaz

Has Ultimate Daredevil/Elektra shown up?

@danhimself said:
@grenadeflow said:
@danhimself said:

...19 pages....

20 pages

I count splash pages as 1 page

I guess in your world 2+2 equals 3.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tupiaz said:

Have Ultimate Daredevil/Elektra shown up?

@danhimself said:
@grenadeflow said:
@danhimself said:

...19 pages....

20 pages

I count splash pages as 1 page

I guess in your world 2+2 equals 3.

splash pages are one big page...there's no reason to be a smart@ss about it...it's just the way I see it

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By micah007123

@danhimself: They will probably show up in All-New Ultimates

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By danhimself

@micah said:

That was Tupiaz who asked that and yes Ultimate Daredevil and Elektra have already shown up

No Caption Provided

Daredevil was killed during the Ultimatum Wave and Elektra was last seen in a coma in Ultimate Spider-man #85

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By tupiaz

@danhimself: I know about the books I was referring to the event. I wasn't aware of their current status.

GrenadeFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By GrenadeFlow

@danhimself said:

@micah said:

That was Tupiaz who asked that and yes Ultimate Daredevil and Elektra have already shown up

No Caption Provided

Daredevil was killed during the Ultimatum Wave and Elektra was last seen in a coma in Ultimate Spider-man #85

I really enjoyed this series. I hate the way Loeb killed Daredevil in Ultimatum smh

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GrenadeFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@micah: Man don't remind me of that terrible event lol. I'm surprised Bendis hasn't killed anyone in the main book yet

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@grenadeflow: I do worry for the population of the Ultimate Universe since it will be continuing, I love the Universe but I'm worried how many more A-list and B-list characters do they still have before they run out, also if you look at the causalities of Ultimatum, the X-Men were hit the hardest

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#17  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

@micah said:

@grenadeflow: I do worry for the population of the Ultimate Universe since it will be continuing, I love the Universe but I'm worried how many more A-list and B-list characters do they still have before they run out, also if you look at the causalities of Ultimatum, the X-Men were hit the hardest

But X-Men, post Ultimatum, had the best stories in the last volume. Sure, quite a few X-Men died, but the aftermath is what made the team and their books the most interesting.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@inferiorego: So True, I hope they all make it out of Cataclysm alive

Avatar image for victorcheenoanleu
victorcheenoanleu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate Bagley's art, it's so ugly!

Avatar image for spacemanspiff85
spacemanspiff85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The whole scene with Captain America reminded me too much of Independence Day.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had such anxiety reading this issue because I thought for sure Cap was going to be killed. The only thing that kept me somewhat calm was because I had assumed if they were going to kill Cap there would be a huge news break like there was when Bendis killed Ultimate Peter. But then again, who knows. When Cap got into the ship to fight Galactus and Storm followed soon after I was like, "Ah hell no not Storm too!" but thankfully both are alive…or so we think…for now. But regardless, great issue, this event is FREAKING AWESOME. PS: Galactus' backhand pimp slap on Thor…dead or alive?