Caption Marvel (Which film should be made?)

Avatar image for hillbillymorangie
HillbillyMorangie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Recently I read this http://io9.com/why-marvel-needs-to-make-a-captain-marvel-movie-like-y-649149746

As a fan of comics I never really got into Captain marvel (DC or Marvel) but loved how he (Marvel) was the progenitor of Ms Marvel. Over the years I have loved diving into Carol story and development, much like the Hulk she has had some truly classic story lines. But what makes her really stand out is how strong she is as her own character, so I am asking the question, should there be a Captain Marvel film, if so should it be a Carol Danvers origin movie, maybe with a cameo from Mar-Vell as in the comics...

The issue with this is while she has the backstory, powers and personality to make a film that's not cheesy. A mix of Greenlantern Captain America with a hero not unlike superman, with a great non sexist costume.... But would fans of Mar-Vell mind that he would basically be demoted to cameo in the world of marvel movies and the general non-comic reading audience, but also what of the Captain Marvel (DC) fans, how would they feel about everyone who isn't an avid comic collector thinking of Captain Marvel as a strong tamale Marvel comics character?

In the end I'm not sure who has the rights to a 'Captain Marvel' film franchise, but As a comic fan I think that a Carol Danvers as Captain Marvel film will only act to greatly expand the view of super heros to the public as a whole.

I would really like to know what others thing DC and Marvel fans...

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

I think if Marvel are going to make a solo film for a female character, Carol Danvers seems like a good choice. Mar-Vell has been dead for a long time, so I kind of doubt that they would give him his own film, but they could maybe add in some flashback scenes with him to show where Carol got her powers.

Spideysense44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By Spideysense44
HillbillyMorangie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I also agree, I have also found that DC are ditching Captain Marvel in favour of Shazam, so I have no issue with a Shazam movie and it will reduce the confusion it would cause having both films... Wish something could be done about quicksilver.

I've stated writing a script combining Carol Danvers origin story with her latest outing as Captain marvel, I'm thinking Kree invasion led by Mar-Vell and Yon-Rogg, it could even work as an avengers film I guess. Carol playing a former fighter pilot and NASA astronaught sent in charge of a team by SHIELD to counter the invasion.

She could be captured, tortured, saved by captain Mar-Vell and empowered in the process, I'd even suggest doing fan service and having Ms Marvel till the end of her first film, (like iron mans escape scene) but personally I don't think it's necessary.

Will see how we'll a SHiELD series goes, for all I know Joss whedon will be using his tv series to introduce a Kree invasion and could easily introduce Carol Danvers as an unpowered as a fighter pilot, unlike male action stars that seem to stop doing tv after getting into films I'm sure there are plenty of Yvonne Strahovskis, amazing actresses who are happy to cross over from tv to film and shine in both roles, who would be amazing as a tv regular and film star... This way you could skip a film origins story and go straight into the Avengers.

Avatar image for black_lantern_mar_vell
Black Lantern Mar-vell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

well...I think I'd personally really like a Mar-vell movie, maybe with a "Ms. Marvel" side kick or something.

HillbillyMorangie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By HillbillyMorangie

If there could be endless films I'd agree, I'd like to see films take the time for charecters to develop in full, But super hero films need a good female role modeland Captain Marvel is a great series ok comics the way she talks down to Captain America and don't put up with any sexism puts her might up as leader of the Avengers.

There are lots of bits that annoy fans, notably Rogue being rubbish in the xmen films, as fox hasn't got the rights to Ms Marvel, Rogue will never be as good as in the comics. This really impacts the female presence in the xmen films, with only Storm really being any good. Same with Elektra and Catwoman, their has never been a film about any of the heavy hitters, it's like producers are afraid of women beating men up? I would love a Mar-Vell film, but honestly think that calling Ms Marvel Captain Marvel breaks the gender barrier, giving her powers on a par with superman, wolverine, green lantern, iron man, Thor, I'm in two minds between what's best for hard core comic fans and what's best for creating new fans and making sure Marvel doesn't struggle again in the future.