ThatHistorian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ThatHistorian

Hi Everyone

I hope you don't mind me intruding but I have some free podcast lectures which I thought some of you might be interested in. To give you some background information, my name is Dr. Darren R. Reid and I am academic historian - I have a keen interest in all aspects of American Studies and in my podcast I have been steadily building up a collection of lectures which focus upon the history and culture of the comic books - the big idea is to create a type of free (and fun) college-level course in comic book history that you can listen to as you drive your car/do the dishes, etc. My most recent lecture deals with the character of Whitewash Jones, a Captain America spin-off and and quai-sidekick co-created by Jack Kirby and often written by Stan Lee. As the name implies, Whitewash was loaded with many of the worst contemporary racial stereotypes. I have also produced a lecture exploring how the Joker changed and developed over time in addition to one which compares and contrasts DC's 1938 and 2011 editions of Action Comics #1. Hopefully you will find these little discussions entertaining and maybe informative (remember they, like all my podcast content, is all free). I would love some feedback or comments, if you have any, or suggestions about the type of lectures you might like to hear in the future. You can download the lectures from iTunes or from the direct download links below:

iTunes Links

3 - Captain America's Racist Sidekick: Race, White Superiority, and Early Superhero Comics

2 - The Man Who Laughs: The Development of the Joker

1 - Up, Up, and Away: Comparing Action Comics #1 (1938) to Action Comics #1 (2011)

Direct Download Links (Right Click and Save the Files)

3 - Captain America's Racist Sidekick: Race, White Superiority, and Early Superhero Comics

2 - The Man Who Laughs: How the Joker Has Changed to Reflect the World

1 - Up, Up, and Away: Comparing Action Comics #1 (1938) to Action Comics #1 (2011)

ThatHistorian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ThatHistorian

And here's another piece of content you might enjoy. In this short film - "Race and Classic Superhero Comics"- I look at how racism defined the early superhero industry and, ultimately, some of the heroes who remain popular even today. The video is about eight minutes long and you can view it below (though I recommend watching it in 720p in youtube!)