Posted by PortlandsBatman (208 posts) - - Show Bio

This is a short question.. why does Captain American's uniform have scales on it?

#1 Posted by chalkshark (1195 posts) - - Show Bio

Artist's interpretation. It was originally conceived as chain mail. Over the decades, the various illustrators who have rendered Captain America's adventures have chosen to depict the armor in different ways.

#2 Posted by Citrus (77 posts) - - Show Bio

Mildly off topic...

Wow, those scales look amazing. The way the scales are drawn sometimes to look rounded out looks horrible, but sharp and defined looks bad***!

#3 Posted by danhimself (22696 posts) - - Show Bio

didn't he originally start wearing them when he fought Baron Blood?

#4 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

It just shows that his costume has a form of protection and is not just cloth at least thats how I've always seen it.

#5 Posted by Aiden Cross (15575 posts) - - Show Bio

This is what i think it is :) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Skin

#6 Posted by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

@PortlandsBatman: @chalkshark said:

Artist's interpretation. It was originally conceived as chain mail. Over the decades, the various illustrators who have rendered Captain America's adventures have chosen to depict the armor in different ways.

It was the same case with Robin's undergarmets, which by the way is actually a tunic and not scaley panties.

I think the scale armor looks ridiculous and dated, but not as bad as some others There's aesthetic value and there's unnecessary attachtments. Personally, I like stylish yet practical, modern costumes that have flair but relate to the character. Especially for an street leveler. Nightwing's third variation>Discowing and Xtremewing. Hawkeye's new costume>>>>>>>>>>Hawkeye's old costume. Green Arrow post-Brightest Day> Pre-Longbow Hunters (the one with the hat) and Golden Age.

#7 Posted by PortlandsBatman (208 posts) - - Show Bio

@Citrus said:

Mildly off topic...

The only reason I didn't put in in the off-topic section was because it was about a comic book character, but I do see that it is close.

#8 Posted by Citrus (77 posts) - - Show Bio

@PortlandsBatman:

no no no dude.

I meant my comment was mildly of topic. Since your thread was asking "why" and I was saying "that picture looks cool".

No worries man :)

#9 Posted by JediXMan (31259 posts) - - Show Bio

@Aiden Cross said:

This is what i think it is :) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Skin

Yep - at least in modern appearances.

#10 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

@PortlandsBatman said:

This is a short question.. why does Captain American's uniform have scales on it?

Whoever drew that needs to get hired by marvel that's amazing.