Cap's shield

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 50

#1  Edited By wildvine  Moderator

I am in no way a physics expert, so I may be way off with this.

If Cap's shield absorbs the energy of hits (like Thor's hammer) then shouldn't it be able to absorb the force of hitting a wall, effectively killing its momentum?

This was something that occurred to me the other night as I watched Cap America (the first one) and thought I would consult the CV experts.

Project_Worm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Project_Worm

@wildvine: I've always just assumed it only absorbed the opposing force... Works for me.

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 wildvine  Moderator

@wildvine: I've always just assumed it only absorbed the opposing force... Works for me.

Wouldn't a wall be an opposing force though?

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

It does do that in the winter soldier movie. Not sure if it makes sense in real life though. cap still should've gotten hurt IMO. His body still received all of the impact of falling fast and then a sudden stop against a hard object

Project_Worm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Project_Worm

@wildvine: But... the wall doesn't have any momentum... Does it??? I'm confused about what you're suggesting... my bad.

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 wildvine  Moderator

@project_worm:

You're probably right. As I said, I'm no physics expert.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Pyrogram
@project_worm said:

@wildvine: But... the wall doesn't have any momentum... Does it??? I'm confused about what you're suggesting... my bad.

In physics we have something called energy transfer. Say you pressed upon the wall with three tons, the wall would "press" against you with three tons. That's why if you throw a heavy ball/or a weight forwards you get pushed back too. If Captain Run into a wall and smashed himself against the wall his energy (in this case kinetic energy) would be absorbed by the shield. In the move they were just wrong, they forgot his shield can absorb all kinds of kinetic/momentum energy etc...

Project_Worm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wildvine: I'm far from a physics expert myself. In high-school I took "Integrated Physics and Chemistry" because I was to lazy to do any math...

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Wolverine008

@wildvine: Yeah, sadly, the shield is something of a plot device. It doesn't even function anything like it should based off it's description of abilities. Lol.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@wildvine: Yeah, sadly, the shield is something of a plot device. It doesn't even function anything like it should based off it's description of abilities. Lol.

Nuh uh. Cap just knows how to flick his wrist the right way so it does the boomerang thing! Duh!

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Wolverine008

@wolverine08 said:

Nuh uh. Cap just knows how to flick his wrist the right way so it does the boomerang thing! Duh!

That damn shield is filled with so much freedom that it won't be stopped by any damned physics!

No Caption Provided

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Physics and comics rarely fit together in a nice, neat way.

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Wolverine008
TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#15  Edited By TDK_1997

Some serious physics talk is going around here and this is a good reason for me not to get involved since physics ain't my strong point.