Canon vs Non-Canon

sxgt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I've never really grasped why non-canon events and story arcs are simply brushed off and "dont count" when talking on the battle board. Even if a particular non-canon story was written by the same author as the canon stories. I know in some instances non-canon stories do get out of hand, such as The Punisher vs the marvel universe etc. How can you say something isn't part of the "official story" or is a part. If it was published by DC or Marvel why isnt it official just because it wasn't from say vol 1 of Action Comics. That particular vol. isn't the be all end all of superman. I understand you can say the Superman from the animated show part of the "animated universe" but how is he any less official than vol. 1 Action comics superman, or post crisis superman.

I just got done reading like 50 pages of people talking about Dragon Ball GT and how its not "canon" because Akira Toriyama didn't have a manga series for it and he was only involved for 1 season of the show. The man gave Toei Animation the rights to his characters so why isn't the show canon.

This is really just a rant about how people are die hard over what is and isn't canon based on what seems to be arbitrary reasoning. Thor existed before Marvel comics, maybe I could say that his feats in MC arent canon or that 616 is not cannon to Thor. Either way it sounds like a cop-out when someone has their hero getting beat in the battle forums here.

Just share your thoughts.

CptMerc1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By CptMerc1

The era's got a lot to do with it. It wouldnt be right to mix and match silver age supes feats with new 52 feats. Or Journey into mystery Thor with current Thor feats. Way different era's and way different writers. As for as DBZ goes there has only been one writer. Akira Toriyama. And he said in an interview that he had nothing to do with GT. So I think it is fair to say that GT is not cannon.

In my honest opinion I dont there is anythiing wrong with using the animated DBZ series as cannon as long as there is manga to support it.

kyrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sxgt: 1. one of the basic rule of the battle forums is that it always uses main universe characters till OP says so. arguably that rule is in place because that makes it easier to account character's feats in one universe.

2. non canon comics tend to be different take on what the main universe character does so to account his other universe feats would be confusing. i mean do we take all of superman's incarnations from different authors and universes and jumble them all up for every character ?

3. manga has always been strict to what is canon or not considering their authors are directly connected to it. dragonball GT is a unique case given that there's no manga to base it on despite toriyama supervising its production.

sxgt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kyrees said:

@sxgt: i mean do we take all of superman's incarnations from different authors and universes and jumble them all up for every character ?.

Some people here do apparently.

Penderor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Almost every Star Wars battle here is practically Non-Canon lol.

SSJTyler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sxgt: to me canon is anything that doesn't contradict with the main continuity. Which is why I personally consider the Dragonball Z movies to be canon especially since most if not all weren't meant to be manga sagas of their own, but GT is a different case. Technically it's been retconned when Battle of the Gods came out.

KarasuTengu1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By KarasuTengu1

@CptMerc1 Hahaha

Akira never had anything to do with GT, again poorly informed like many of the fans. Please read this through -

https://bratpfannenberg.com/2014/10/dragon-ball-gt-akira-toriyama-zur-anime.html

Tell me then the GT Non Canon is? One of those responsible has never said anything like that. As you learn, he has designed both the title and initial character.