• 74 results
#1 Edited by SOG7dc (6713 posts) - - Show Bio

I can but it is a struggle and a distraction. I often hear people say a good story is more important. I disagree. In comics I believe they are equally important. This is right brain and left brain. I read comics for both. For example I started reading, Irredeemable by Mark Waid today. Brilliant story so far but the thought that keeps running through my head is, "Mark Waid couldn't get a better artist to work with him on this?". That's my opinion whts yours?

#2 Posted by Wolverine08 (38940 posts) - - Show Bio

They're both very important indeed. An incredible story can be hindered by ugly art, and good art can't make up for lazy storytelling.

#3 Posted by AweSam (7373 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll usually stick around and wait for a new artist.

#4 Posted by dagmar_merrill (6947 posts) - - Show Bio

Irredeemable looked great and yes, I can.

#5 Posted by Manchine (4024 posts) - - Show Bio

If its good storytelling with bad art I can handle that (FOR A LIMITED TIME). If its average storytelling with bad art can't handle that. If its bad story telling and good art can't handle that either.

#6 Posted by JulieDC (876 posts) - - Show Bio

Depends on how much it distracts me. Sometimes I can struggle through it but it definitely takes me a long time to get through the book because I just don't have the motivation to keep reading. There have been books that I stopped reading immediately because of the art. It wasn't necessarily that the art was bad, it just wasn't my kind of art that I'd want to see in a comic.

#7 Posted by JediXMan (29679 posts) - - Show Bio

It's hard. The writing has to be really good.

That said, I dislike the art from the Sandman's "Kindly Ones" arc... and that arc was awesome. So yeah, I can get over it if the writing is superb.

#8 Posted by NorrinBoltagonPrime21 (5528 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes

#9 Posted by The Myth (551 posts) - - Show Bio

I could but it detracts greatly from the over all enjoyment. Three things are needed for a truly great comic, a compelling and interesting story, relevant and understandable artwork and characters that I find interesting and care about.

#10 Posted by SOG7dc (6713 posts) - - Show Bio

@juliedc said:

Depends on how much it distracts me. Sometimes I can struggle through it but it definitely takes me a long time to get through the book because I just don't have the motivation to keep reading. There have been books that I stopped reading immediately because of the art. It wasn't necessarily that the art was bad, it just wasn't my kind of art that I'd want to see in a comic.

I haven't made it through the second volume of grant morrisons jla because of the hideous art.

#11 Posted by Jokerpoker (2943 posts) - - Show Bio

Not really. I tried reading Batman Arkham Asylum: A Serious House On Serious Earth, and did not like the art which kind of ruined it for me.

#12 Posted by HumanRocket (7559 posts) - - Show Bio

A good story trumps bad art.

#13 Edited by Deathstroke19 (3799 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah

#14 Posted by GrenadeFlow (1374 posts) - - Show Bio

It depends on how bad the art is. I can manage Greg Land bad but not Liefeld bad

#15 Posted by TheFirstLantern (1489 posts) - - Show Bio

no i tried reading Locke and Key but the art put me off.

#16 Posted by Ryagan (635 posts) - - Show Bio

It depends. I can read a comic with amazing art and so-so writing and a comic with amazing writing and crappy art, but when you get crappy art and so-so writing, it's pretty painful. I can hardly stomach "Welcome to Genosha" (X-Men) because the art is so bad, and to me, the writing isn't that great, though. However, in New X-Men, the art got pretty bad at times, but I still enjoyed it. It all depends.

#17 Posted by bigtewell (749 posts) - - Show Bio

its kinda how i feel about older comics. like walt simmonsons thor run. one of the greatest runs of all time with an amazing story to it however the arts not great so its tougher to read than a mediocre story with amazing art

#18 Posted by Billy Batson (57799 posts) - - Show Bio

@jedixman said:

That said, I dislike the art from the Sandman's "Kindly Ones" arc... and that arc was awesome. So yeah, I can get over it if the writing is superb.

The Kindle Ones had pretty good art.

its kinda how i feel about older comics. like walt simmonsons thor run. one of the greatest runs of all time with an amazing story to it however the arts not great so its tougher to read than a mediocre story with amazing art

Simonson's art not great? What.

BB

#19 Posted by Pokeysteve (8110 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not crazy about Tim Sale's stuff but was able to get through Long Halloween which was ok.

Not really. I tried reading Batman Arkham Asylum: A Serious House On Serious Earth, and did not like the art which kind of ruined it for me.

I haven't read that book because of the art. Was the story even almost good?

#20 Posted by Jayc1324 (9875 posts) - - Show Bio

As long as the story is good yes. Some of the best comics ever have crappy art.

#21 Posted by Saren (25326 posts) - - Show Bio

Sure I can. I love Spurrier's X-Men Legacy even though Huat's art is basically like if God said "What if I made a clone of Dustin Nguyen, except he doesn't care?"

Moderator Online
#22 Posted by FearTheLiving (2572 posts) - - Show Bio

The art may initially draw me to a comic, but I read for the stories not the art.

#23 Posted by Manwhohaseverything (1840 posts) - - Show Bio

I've read many a story that I liked with art I wasn't crazy about. Art can supplement the story, but for me, it's not a necessity. BTW..I liked the art in "Irredeemable"..the sister story "Incorruptible" on the other hand....lousy art, and the story isn't as good either.

#24 Posted by Jokerpoker (2943 posts) - - Show Bio

@pokeysteve: I guess maybe okay. When someone was yelling the words were really unclear and it was hard to read them, and some people like the kind of artwork in the book, but I found it really annoying.

#25 Posted by ALFMutant (146 posts) - - Show Bio

I had some difficulties with The Dark Knight Returns.

#26 Edited by FireThunder (41 posts) - - Show Bio

I really don't like the current art of new avengers. It is disturbing. I prefer deodato's style.

#27 Edited by Fallschirmjager (15329 posts) - - Show Bio

Depends, but generally no.

Art is part of the medium and is every bit as crucial as the writing.

They're called comics and not novels for a reason. The art is important.

#28 Posted by SOG7dc (6713 posts) - - Show Bio
#29 Posted by Prototypehydra (65 posts) - - Show Bio

Unless it was the most amazing story ever, otherwise, no. I'm a very visual person, going as far as basing my judgement of a certain issue on cover art alone.

#30 Posted by Saint_Wildcard (9304 posts) - - Show Bio

Only if the story is great.

#31 Edited by youknowwhattodo (904 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, though it either has to have a great story or an ok story but the main character is coincidentally my favorite (i.e. Nightwing drawn by Brett Booth).

#32 Posted by Cloakx14 (2470 posts) - - Show Bio

yeah but it has to have a really good story.

#33 Edited by ThatGuyWithHeadPhones (10410 posts) - - Show Bio

Just like what everyone else says, story got to be on point.

#34 Posted by batman922 (268 posts) - - Show Bio

It depends on how much I dislike the art, for example I can't read The Dark Knight Returns or Strikes Back because the art is so terrible and I can't get over it.

#35 Posted by SoA (4705 posts) - - Show Bio

no. its why i couldn't/wouldn't read FF(she-hulk, ant-man,etc) yet since the same artist is going to be on the silver surfer book it somehow works so i may get into it

#36 Posted by dccomicsrule2011 (23374 posts) - - Show Bio

Both are important, but I can read a comic if the story is really, really, really, great, and the art is sub-par.

But I can't read a story with amazing art and terrible story.

#37 Posted by Darling_Luna (3584 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope

#38 Posted by lykopis (10756 posts) - - Show Bio

It can really affect my enjoyment of the book - sometimes the art is just too horrific that my eyes search out the word bubbles only and get through it for the story. Which is too bad because I like to read the comic first, and then go back and enjoy the art more thoroughly. Not doing the second part makes the experience fall flat.

#39 Edited by JetiiMitra (8209 posts) - - Show Bio

I muscled through Ramos for how many issues of Spider-man? I can, but I won't like it.

#40 Posted by cosmicallyaware1 (4267 posts) - - Show Bio

It depends on how bad the art is. I can manage Greg Land bad but not Liefeld bad

I actually like greg lands stuff. But as far as the topic

@jedixman said:

#41 Posted by RulerOfThisUniverse (6157 posts) - - Show Bio

It can get really annoying, but I can usually read it.

#42 Posted by Dragonborn_CT (20836 posts) - - Show Bio

The story better be worth it, but its really hard.

#43 Posted by JediXMan (29679 posts) - - Show Bio

@grenadeflow said:

I actually like greg lands stuff. But as far as the topic

The tracing is distracting, especially some of the... more blatant sources for his drawings.

#44 Posted by JediXMan (29679 posts) - - Show Bio

@jedixman said:

The Kindle Ones had pretty good art.

It was too cartoony.

#45 Posted by JakeN7 (11076 posts) - - Show Bio

They're both very important indeed. An incredible story can be hindered by ugly art, and good art can't make up for lazy storytelling.

Yet people still buy Superman to get an eyeful of Kenneth Rocafort's gorgeousness. SMH

I agree with Lil' Wolvie. My enjoyment of the comic is immensely reduced from either aspect. Thunderbolt's first arc from Phil Noto or All Star Batman and Robin the Boy friggin' Wonder from Jim Lee? Beautiful pieces of toilet paper. I wish there weren't any letterboxes (same goes for all Scott Lobdell/Kenneth Rocafort books save for Red Hood.)

The reverse is the same, but I praise storytelling above art.

#46 Posted by Eric8a92 (153 posts) - - Show Bio

I read Daredevil. Aside from him being my favorite Marvel character, his series is a favorite of mine. However, I can't quite stand the art. I saw the way they drew him in Superior Spider-Man Team-Up, and immediately said that that's how he should be illustrated in his own series. I know they're re-booting his series, but I think the art's staying the same right?

Anyways, I still read it when it comes out. The art's not as bad to keep me from reading it. I do wish it was better though.

#47 Edited by fiodestromus (977 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah,I can read anything with Beta Ray Bill and sometimes Hulk bad art or not

Its mostly the story and characters involved that draw me.

#48 Posted by TheAcidSkull (17361 posts) - - Show Bio

Depends, but generally no.

Art is part of the medium and is every bit as crucial as the writing.

They're called comics and not novels for a reason. The art is important.

No one is denying that it's important, but writing, for me at least, tramps visuals.

#49 Posted by Lvenger (18474 posts) - - Show Bio

A good story trumps bad art.

QFT, couldn't agree more. I sat through Frazer Irving's awful artwork on Morrison's last Batman and Robin arc simply because the writing and the story were so awesome.

#50 Posted by mysoulz (269 posts) - - Show Bio

Some of my favorite books I've been reading not too long ago had "bad" art, but the stories are very enjoyable. Comics with bad art doesn't really bother me. Artwork with good quality is just a bonus for an overall quality book for me ;)