Can we find a way to agree on Thor's combat speed?

• 119 results
Comicuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I don't need to make a thread that gets pinned to the top so everyone can see, but I do want something that disseminates this simple information so that people can stop talking crazy about how thor has fast combat speed. What if I make a thread talking about this and add tons of scans? And focus on scans that arent from decades ago when he actually had a couple good reaction/combat speed feats.

This isn't about hate or ridiculing anyone's favorite character. Its about spreading the correct information to stop the spreading of misinformation.

If you have any suggestions on how to accomplish this, I'm open to suggestions. Thanks for your time guys.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm just gonna copy what I posted on another thread.

Thor is only 640 pounds. He has the strength to lift millions of tons. That level of strength acting on something that weighs only 640 pounds will create a huge amount of force, and a huge amount of speed. So based on his strength alone, he is super fast. However Thor almost never fights like this, and he likes to use his strength and power. Also, marvel likes to downplay him against street levelers. Which is why spiderman can run all over him. There's also the fact that spiderman is no threat to thor and he has no reason to react.

So basically, he's super fast, but doesn't use it. I'm also not sure why old scans aren't ok. They are still canon.

Avatar image for norrinboltagonprime21
NorrinBoltagonPrime21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

No Caption Provided

This wont end well

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also, this ^

mysticmedivh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mysticmedivh
No Caption Provided

Comicuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nothing negative guys, please. Help me out.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There is no way for everyone to agree on it because it has ranged so much according to the writer and who he is fighting. Some people will always prefer the low ball panels while others will always use the highball ones.

Avatar image for greatcaesarsghost
GreatCaesarsGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Scans or he's slower than Wolverine.

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

You want people on the internet to agree on something?

Comicuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Comicuser

@eyedcyou said:

lol, thatd be fantastic, yes. I want it firmly established. Kinda like how everyone rightfully agrees that Galactus > Wolverine.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spambot said:

There is no way for everyone to agree on it because it has ranged so much according to the writer and who he is fighting. Some people will always prefer the low ball panels while others will always use the highball ones.

Depends on what context people want to use him as so I agree with spambot. If they want thor to win they will say his combat speed is high

Tex_The_Slayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Eh. Thor Just doesn't use it.

thing150

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

most of the threads where people argue about thors combat speed are in the battle forum.....a lot of people i see in the battle forum don't post in gen discussion, so a lot of the people who mainly argue about his combat speed..wont even see this thread

Comicuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thing150 said:

most of the threads where people argue about thors combat speed are in the battle forum.....a lot of people i see in the battle forum don't post in gen discussion, so a lot of the people who mainly argue about his combat speed..wont even see this thread

i think youre right

Vks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Vks

If he is not fast How does he spin the Mjolnir like a propeller?

Comicuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vks said:

mjolnir does lots of things on its own. so id imagine its spinning on its own.

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

No Caption Provided

Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vks said:

Well, he doesn't have to be particularly fast. All he really has to do is start it spinning and momentum will do the rest.

Vks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Vks

@comicuser: You are wrong! Thor is the one that swings the hammer!

Loading Video...

Comicuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vks: lol why are you yelling? and soo um cool. he has a superfast wrist. cool. can we now focus on what my thread is about?

Vks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Vks

@battle_forum_junkie said:

@vks said:

Well, he doesn't have to be particularly fast. All he really has to do is start it spinning and momentum will do the rest.

Imagine how many rpm can a propeller make!

legacy6364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can we find a way to agree on Thor's combat speed?

When jimmies are no longer rustled, of course.

Vks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comicuser: i now see that the thread is for you to prove your point that Thor is not fast, not spreading the correct information!

If he has a superfast wrist he is fast!

Comicuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vks said:

@comicuser: i now see that the thread is for you to prove your point that Thor is not fast, not spreading the correct information!

If he has a superfast wrist he is fast!

im sorry you feel that way.

Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vks said:

@vks said:

Well, Thor can lift an excess of 100 tons. I'm sure he has the strength to swing that hammer pretty fast. And, like I said, once he gets it going momentum will do the rest. And even if it's all due to the speed of his wrist, how does that translate to combat speed?

godzilla44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By godzilla44

@eyedcyou said:

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Vks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Vks

@vks said:

@vks said:

Well, Thor can lift an excess of 100 tons. I'm sure he has the strength to swing that hammer pretty fast. And, like I said, once he gets it going momentum will do the rest. And even if it's all due to the speed of his wrist, how does that translate to combat speed?

I understand you point, but if he is fast with the wrist why can't he be fast with his arms?

In this specific case the rpm will make the torque, and not the other way around! (Based on Stan Lee description)

Maybe in the end you are right i just post my opinion as Thor reader, if there is one thing that i don't care is the comicvine battle forums, that is the all point of this thread!

GreatCaesarsGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Any other combat speed feats besides being able to spin Mjonir? Also, that doesn't really show reaction speed.

titing2101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Read a post awhile ago from one of the thor threads. and personally i think thor has a very good reaction speed.

Here is the post:

@bodinson said:

Well seems like I'll be joining this discussion pretty darn late.

I would actually like to argue in favor of Thor having decent reaction/ reflexes.

Travel Speed

First I would like to discuss "travel" speed vs "reaction/reflex" speed, I've seen many people state that it's entirely different, I would actually beg to differ. You can do yourself a favor and go to any pilot in the air force and ask them what is one of the main prerequisites for being a pilot, it can easily be argued "reaction time". Flying at speeds of 5 or 6 times faster than the speed of sound REQUIRES you to have great reaction time, how else would you properly dodge objects?

Even driving in a car at roughly 50miles an hour would suggest that you'd have to react fast in order to avoid striking a deer in the road, even then some people just don't have it. Now that is slow speeds in comparison to the speed that Superman, Flash, Silver Surfer and even Thor can reach. Flying/running at the speed of light leaves you fractions of a second to react to anything that suddenly comes in your path. I've seen it mentioned here that apparently Thor could travel at 5000x the speed of light? To put that in perspective, 5000x the speed of light = 930 000 000 miles/second, Saturn is roughly 900million miles from earth, when you view earth from Saturn it looks like a distant blue speck, a tiny star on the horizon. Now if he was to approach earth from Saturn he would reach earth in less than a second, which means he'd have to react even faster in order to avoid a collision with earth or any other objects that might be in space, stars, asteroids, comets, planets etc

According to some physics students**** from the UK, contrary to popular Star Trek mythology, going at or faster than the speed of light does NOT make streaks of light (Like when they go into hyperdrive), they actually suggest that it'll be more like a blur that appears, but whether it's a blur or a streak, how fast should their eyes and observations be in order to view where they are and where they are heading? Moving at the speed of light in itself an automatic speed feat for reaction and reflexes one that should easily be given to any speedster whether they are Thor, Surfer, Quicksilver or Superman.

**** http://www.space.com/19268-star-wars-hyperspace-physics-reality.html

Now of course I just know that some people on here are going to start mentioning "But it's mjolnir that does the flying not Thor" as if almost to suggest that mjolnir is a sentient object/being that can think, react and decide for itself? If that was the case, being effectively one with Thor, why would Mjolnir "allow" anyone to actually lay a finger on its master? Thor does ALL of the controlling on Mjolnir, he might hurl it and grab on it to fly at those speeds but I don't think Mjolnir just "decides" when to dodge an asteroid and when not too. It'll return to Thor's hand regardless of what's in its path, whether it be foe, planet or even a space barrier(As seen when Surfer chased Mjolnir and it breached a barrier to return to the hand of Thor).

So if Thor controls it and wills it to change course that in itself suggests that Thor is more than capable of SEEING all of his surroundings while travelling greater than the speed of light(Refer to above where it would appear like a blur for us) and react to what he sees and perceives. Like I mentioned then, merely travelling at those speeds is in itself a great indication of reaction speed as well.

Reaction

I saw a scan of Thor where he intercepted incoming nuclear missiles that were launched towards Asgard(King Thor reign). According to the Global Nuclear Contamination Watch, within milliseconds of an explosion a fireball would envelope EVERYTHING within a 2 miles reaching temperatures of up to 20million Fahrenheit, now that explosion wasn't anywhere near two miles; in other words it didn't have enough time to reach those distances, when Thor already reacted and contained the blast. That in itself, though a very unassuming picture, is a fantastic reaction speed feat. Especially if you take into consideration that by the looks of things there wasn't even enough time for the Thermal radiation to properly make it's way across the area, causing burns to the eyes, body etc

Large amounts of electromagnetic radiation in the visible, infrared, and ultraviolet regions of the electromagnetic spectrum are emitted from the surface of the fireball within the first minute or less after detonation. This thermal radiation travels outward from the fireball at the speed of light, 300,000 km/sec.

http://www.fas.org/nuke/intro/nuke/thermal.htm

What reaction speed did Thor have to have in order to prevent that nuclear bomb from causing devastation to the area? I would think GREAT reaction time!!!

Of course hurling Mjolnir at such speeds in itself stands as a speed feat as well NOT just a feat of strength. In order to properly swing it he'll logically HAVE to use his wrists/arm as well which shows great speed capability when it comes to his hands.

Then of course there is something that we all take for granted every time we see Thor, whether it's in the comics, cartoons or even in the movie. That would be catching Mjolnir, if Mjolnir is travelling back to Thor's hand (At any speed, speed of sound, speed of light as shown when he fought the god eater or any speed) he would HAVE to have incredible reaction time in order to catch it. A simple thing that he has done through out all the years in the comics, catching mjolnir is probably one of the great feats of speed that he has!!! Unless of course anyone again wants to imply that Mjolnir is suddenly hitting the breaks right at the moment it touches the tiniest part of Thor's hand in order for the Thunderer to just "hold" onto it?..Or better yet that Thor "wills" it to slow down in order for him to grab a hold of it, in order for the latter to happen it would indicate that Thor can perceive objects moving at incredible speeds(Like mjolnir charging towards him at speed of Light) and then will it to stop at the right time <<<Another speed feat then.

Thor has great speed feats, feats that should actually be shown in his combats as well. I've seen people on here argue that because Thor gets tagged by spider-man, mongoose, rhino he has no speed feats, even if he can fight toe-to-toe with the Silver Surfer. Of course that person then suggests that because Thor gets tagged by them that is a true reflection of his speed in combat situations, he even mentions the Surfer himself getting tagged by spider-man and then does a 180 and argue being tagged by spider-man does NOT indicate that the Surfer incapable of high combat speed. Personally I don't understand the reasoning behind, you can't argue one way for one character and then argue the opposite for another character in the same situation.

Just like the Surfer, Thor's combat speed would reflect the opponent he is facing as seen when he's fighting Surfer and when he tagged Quicksilver with a slam into the ground obviously faster than Quicksilver can perceive(If he could have, why not blitz away? ) .

Ok, guess I'm done for now, there were other stuff I wanted to mention but it kind of slipped my mind now, maybe it'll come back to me after I get some replies(I'm definitely expecting some very predictable replies so we'll see). I'm awaiting your suggestions and or counter-arguments =o)

P.S Great Thread by the way, some very nice scans.

bflynn316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HOLD UP @comicuser you have been on this site for under a month. How do you post over 1,200 times in one month? I've been on this site for over a year and I haven't gotten to 800 yet. Granted I had to take a substantial break for college stuff during that time but still. Over 1,200??

kyrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By kyrees

cute, make everyone on the internet agree something, especially on something as obviously varied as this. might as well wait for end of days then.

RealityWarper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@comicuser: IMO minimum supersonic, hypersonic at max (I think that he is hypersonic)

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

@comicuser: IMO minimum supersonic, hypersonic at max (I think that he is hypersonic)

Who Thor? He isn’t anywhere close to hypersonic, at least not in recent time. Apart from lack of more recent demonstration of combat speed, we have seen Thor struggle against Wolverine, Champion and Moongoose who directly mocked his speed. In fact someone actually even asked Tom Brevroot on the matter and he explained the same thing, while Thor is capable of flying extremely fast he doesn’t have the traditional combat speed that people would have liked.

This might not have been true back in the day, where Thor was clearly created to be more powerful than Surfer, it remains true of the current incarnation.

RealityWarper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@realitywarper:

That is not surprisingly because its commonplace in marvel. Hulk, for example, has tagged both without much problem too as well as many other speedsters. Similarly, Mangog had no problem tagging Silver Surfer when they fought.

It's actually pretty common place for speed to be sidelined in most comic book fights.

Hayden86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Let me pick up a book with thor in it...ok if you turn the pages fast thor is really fast.

Comicuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HOLD UP @comicuser you have been on this site for under a month. How do you post over 1,200 times in one month? I've been on this site for over a year and I haven't gotten to 800 yet. Granted I had to take a substantial break for college stuff during that time but still. Over 1,200??

LOL. Thats nothing. Ive seen Frozen go from like 10 posts to 12,000 in like 3 months

RealityWarper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@claymore1998: IMO there is some confusions between the top speed (or travel speed), the combat speed and the reaction time.
I see lots of posts with people saying that characters with extreme reaction time can strikes 1000 times per seconds...
I think it is a misconception.
I am well versed in roleplaying mechanics, especially in the GURPS rpg, and I think that the comic books use some of this mechanics in a certain way when the characters are made.

I just think that a character like Superman will react better and faster than Thor, I mean that he will surely hit first, but that don't stops the other character to land his strikes in the movement of the fight, if he can tank the hits of course.

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@realitywarper:

That’s a slightly different debate from the topic we started from and my view on the manner, to some extent, mirrors your own. Characters fight in comics in a way that is most entertaining to read as opposed to how they should fight given their respective abilities. The reasoning behind it being, that's what the writers want to achieve, a comics that’s fun to read.

Heading back to the topic we initiated this conversation from, in terms of combat speed, looking at more recent evidence Thor is pretty slow.

RealityWarper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@claymore1998: In fact, comic book characters fights like the WWE superstars. ^^

bflynn316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By bflynn316
GreatCaesarsGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here; Wolverine thinks he's fighting Sabretooth, and comments that he (who is actually Thor) seems slower than Sabretooth normally is. Thor has to resort to an area of effect attack to take down Wolverine.

Granted, we can assume that Thor is holding back.
Granted, we can assume that Thor is holding back.

WeAreMany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's pretty slow....in more ways than one....

M-174

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By M-174
No Caption Provided

Lol. Thor has slow combat speed. High strength. And can travel fast because his hammer can travel FTL.

No Caption Provided

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Spambot

@wearemany said:

@greatcaesarsghost: we can ssume hes holding back strength but not speed.

If he's holding back strength then he is also holding back speed. For instance, punching or striking power is directly tied to speed and mass. Strength operates outside of the equation to some degree but if Thor is holding back it would have to be in the speed of his attacks since he cannot change his mass. Strength per se has more to do with overcoming resistance as when a heavy weight is lifted than it does striking power.

GreatCaesarsGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spambot said:

@wearemany said:

@greatcaesarsghost: we can ssume hes holding back strength but not speed.

If he's holding back strength then he is also holding back speed. For instance, punching or striking power is directly tied to speed and mass. Strength operates outside of the equation to some degree but if Thor is holding back it would have to be in the speed of his attacks since he cannot change his mass. Strength per se has more to do with overcoming resistance as when a heavy weight is lifted than it does striking power.

"He dodges my fiercest blows" "He is Faster than I."

WeAreMany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spambot: not in comics. Moreover, hes having an inner monologue where hes telling himself wolverine is much too fast and he cant avoid his hits and wolverine keeps dodging thors finest attacks. Hes not holding back on speed, just strength.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Spambot

@wearemany: Its still not possible to hold back on strength while using full speed when striking something. The two go hand in hand.

WeAreMany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spambot: again, not in comics. Thor couldnt hit him and he cpuldnt avoid wolverines hits. The art shows us that and thors inner monologue reinforces it.