#1 Posted by _Maven_ (58 posts) - - Show Bio

Just a quick question...

Well I didn't really get into reading Thor until a few years ago and whenever I'm curious about what damage he can withstand, every panel that shows him taking a hit is usually just an explosion and he walks away from it... The one thing I've never seen - maybe I might not remember, but I'm pretty sure I've never seen Thor take a bullet on any part of his skin. It's something that's been bugging me and has made me curious as to whether he could survive a gunshot to the head from a simple execution. I'm also curious if the movie-Thor can take a bullet as well. In The Avengers he ducked when shots were fired at the Hulk...

So can someone elaborate?

#2 Posted by i_like_swords (13120 posts) - - Show Bio

The reason you don't see Thor taking bullets, and rather explosions, is because it's not really exciting for a character as powerful as Thor. You could put a 50 cal in Thors mouth and empty the clip and it'd only tickle him.

And bullets wouldn't hurt movie Thor either. He wasn't shot with any, but they were pretty much bouncing off of Loki.. so one can only assume it'd be the same for Thor.

#3 Posted by SC (12703 posts) - - Show Bio

Well like all fictional characters a thing here is consistency. Like believe it or not some (like two I think) Marvel writers has said in the past that they think Thor is vulnerable to bullets because he is magic and how they can pierce things. One writer I can't remember also said because Thor use to use his hammer to deflect bullets that Thor is fearful of being damaged by them... right. Oh and in one bad Black Panther story Thor cameoed in he was shot in the head and knocked out.

That also being said there have many more times when Thor has been shot without any damage at all, normal guns, jet plane guns, so on, as well as other types of damage like explosions, space, deep sea, the middle of the sun, so on. Different writers have different opinions, I'd figure its better creatively for the character and Marvel in general that the character not be harmed by bullets. The only writers that have seemed to think otherwise have never seemed to like the character.

Oh uhm in the JMS run Thor was shot by automatic weapons in the issue he was in Africa, so I think issue 4 or 5? Also Thor 480 is a good issue he is fired at.

#4 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

@sc

That was a fantastic Black Panther story! But yeah, Thor getting knocked out even momentarily by a bullet seems a little silly. Chalk it up to Wakandan technology and a lucky shot I guess....even then, it's kinda ridiculous.

#5 Posted by SC (12703 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark: I keep imagining Bullseye picking up a bullet and throwing it and killing Thor with it - just yeah - seems wrong inherently. Heh heh. I think its Thor's version of the snake that knocked out Hulk and that brick wall that fell on Silver Surfer one time knocking him out too. Some writers have.. interesting ideas ^_^

#6 Edited by Perethorn (3212 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor can take a nuke to the head and yawn.

#7 Posted by kgb725 (5945 posts) - - Show Bio

He's bulletproof

#8 Posted by Lvenger (18366 posts) - - Show Bio

Does this answer your question OP?

#9 Edited by Blackdog2009 (1816 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah he can. He was shot point blank in the forehead once and went unconscious.

#10 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

@sc said:

@veshark: I keep imagining Bullseye picking up a bullet and throwing it and killing Thor with it - just yeah - seems wrong inherently. Heh heh. I think its Thor's version of the snake that knocked out Hulk and that brick wall that fell on Silver Surfer one time knocking him out too. Some writers have.. interesting ideas ^_^

Yeah haha, which is odd, because Priest is usually a pretty solid writer. I think that moment was played more for laughs really, because Thor ended up falling on Everett Ross.

#11 Posted by PowerHerc (81637 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, without any damage at all