• 49 results
#1 Posted by eagerbuttermilk (431 posts) - - Show Bio

Absolute zero

#2 Edited by bgibs13390 (837 posts) - - Show Bio

No, Absolute Zero is the temperature where all molecules stop moving. Nothing organic based can survive there.

#3 Edited by green_skaar (4415 posts) - - Show Bio

I think he might be able to survive, but not function.

@lvenger your thoughts?

#4 Edited by eagerbuttermilk (431 posts) - - Show Bio

@bgibs13390: well i no hulk did just wonted to no if sups could.thinks for the insight tho

#5 Posted by green_skaar (4415 posts) - - Show Bio

@bgibs13390: well i no hulk did just wonted to no if sups could.thinks for the insight tho

Hulk has the benefit of an insane healing factor that protects him from all sorts of changes to his physiology.

#6 Posted by kgb725 (6440 posts) - - Show Bio

Hulk doesn't really get affected by hot/cold but somehow superman couls do it because he's superman

#7 Posted by Binski (647 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes do I have proof...no

#8 Posted by AllStarSuperman (21340 posts) - - Show Bio

@green_skaar: superman has an insane healing factor just like hulk....

#9 Posted by Bruxae (13128 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes.

#10 Posted by green_skaar (4415 posts) - - Show Bio
#11 Edited by Wolverine08 (40601 posts) - - Show Bio

No.

#12 Posted by AllStarSuperman (21340 posts) - - Show Bio
#13 Edited by NeonPheonix (650 posts) - - Show Bio
#14 Posted by AllStarSuperman (21340 posts) - - Show Bio
#15 Posted by green_skaar (4415 posts) - - Show Bio

@green_skaar: why? Is his healing any different?

Does Superman heal gaping holes through is torso mid-fight? Heal disintegration down to the bone in a panel? Regularly resist and overcome transmutation?

I don't want this turning into Hulk vs Superman, I"m just saying their healing factors are very different.

#16 Edited by Your_Friendly_Azn (313 posts) - - Show Bio

@allstarsuperman said:

@green_skaar: why? Is his healing any different?

Does Superman heal gaping holes through is torso mid-fight? Heal disintegration down to the bone in a panel? Regularly resist and overcome transmutation?

I don't want this turning into Hulk vs Superman, I"m just saying their healing factors are very different.

Yea Supes healing isn't that good compared to Hulk's. Not even close.

#17 Edited by Nightcraft (253 posts) - - Show Bio

Sort of, the Flash can survive absolute zero just fine when going at top speeds, although incredibly slowed down to human standards or worse. So it's safe to assume Superman can do the same.

#18 Posted by DEGRAAF (7875 posts) - - Show Bio

@kgb725 said:

Hulk doesn't really get affected by hot/cold but somehow superman couls do it because he's superman

Superman is shown to not be affected by temperatures either

#19 Edited by Blackdog2009 (1820 posts) - - Show Bio

Of course he can

#20 Posted by WIshIWasSuperman (1351 posts) - - Show Bio

Is Hulks healing factor the official reason he can withstand certain things? If so that's even more ridiculous than his origin...

At any rate bringing real world science into this is completely pointless, since your'e talking about an alien with super powers who is fueled by yellow sun radiation (something that doesn't actually exist). I mean - they talk in space for goodness sake - you honestly think that absolute zero is going to be treated with any sense of realism? Short answer - He would survive in absolute zero.

#21 Posted by Nightcraft (253 posts) - - Show Bio
#22 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (11309 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman can...absolutely...survive it!

Pun intended :P

#23 Edited by SOG7dc (6956 posts) - - Show Bio

Is Hulks healing factor the official reason he can withstand certain things? If so that's even more ridiculous than his origin...

At any rate bringing real world science into this is completely pointless, since your'e talking about an alien with super powers who is fueled by yellow sun radiation (something that doesn't actually exist). I mean - they talk in space for goodness sake - you honestly think that absolute zero is going to be treated with any sense of realism? Short answer - He would survive in absolute zero.

yup

#24 Posted by WIshIWasSuperman (1351 posts) - - Show Bio
#25 Posted by WIshIWasSuperman (1351 posts) - - Show Bio

@sog7dc said:

@wishiwassuperman said:

yup

Just to double check - are you answering my question about Hulk, or are you agreeing with me?

#26 Posted by Nightcraft (253 posts) - - Show Bio

@wishiwassuperman: Captain Cold uses absolute zero and probably the only fictional character to do so. I don't know if he ever faced off against Superman, but he is a common enemy of the Flash and is able to slow him down to human speeds or just completely freeze him. So yes, in a way it is treated with some realism.

#27 Posted by green_skaar (4415 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe, really depends on what it is. He has an insane healing factor and durability, both of which increase depending on anger.

#28 Posted by PowerHerc (82628 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes.

#29 Posted by TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642 (1983 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes

#30 Posted by cameron83 (7133 posts) - - Show Bio

Not really. He can survive things because of his incredible durability (like Superman),but if anything were to get damaged,his healing factor takes care of it. Same with Superman,Wolverine,etc.

#31 Edited by LaserLambert (636 posts) - - Show Bio

absolute zero is kinda impossible, but it would cause no change in his molecules, because there would be no movement in them whatsoever, assuming he could survive the temperatures on the way to and from absolute zero then sure.

#32 Edited by THEOCITYLEGEND (1197 posts) - - Show Bio

No, Absolute Zero is the temperature where all molecules stop moving. Nothing organic based can survive there.

#33 Edited by SOG7dc (6956 posts) - - Show Bio

@sog7dc said:

@wishiwassuperman said:

yup

Just to double check - are you answering my question about Hulk, or are you agreeing with me?

agreeing with you.

#34 Posted by WIshIWasSuperman (1351 posts) - - Show Bio

@wishiwassuperman: Captain Cold uses absolute zero and probably the only fictional character to do so. I don't know if he ever faced off against Superman, but he is a common enemy of the Flash and is able to slow him down to human speeds or just completely freeze him. So yes, in a way it is treated with some realism.

..... that's kind of my point - it's not at all realistic. Absolute zero is an impossibility. Especially in the sense of a ray or something similar being used in the real world - thermodynamics dictates it's not possible. And even if it was possible, even the reaction Flash has to it (which at minimum would be the same as Superman's since he is also able to do the various things Flash is capable of such as vibrating his molecules) isn't realistic, because again - that's not how things work. Slowed atomic movement doesn't alter the speed of movement of the larger object - it alters it's state between gas, solid and liquid (basically either the larger structure can move or it can't). And that's what "absolute zero" does - it causes even atoms to stop moving completely (or at least, it's supposed to, but quantum effects actually don't allow for that either technically). Then there's the idea that Flash (and Superman) can vibrate their molecules to overcome freezing affects - again not at all realistic. It's fine - it's comic books. I don't' expect it to be realistic - my point was that we shoudn't expect a realistic result of absolute zero being used on Superman

#35 Posted by Immortal777 (7238 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman probably could heck Batman probably could.

#36 Edited by Lvenger (19067 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger your thoughts?

Absolute zero? He'll be fine. He doesn't need oxygen, only sunlight. Since he's survived in space for long periods of time, he can cope with the pressure and temperature of absolute zero easily. I don't see how this is debatable.

Wait we're talking about the theoretical absolute zero where all molecules stop moving? How can we know that? How can you say Hulk can survive that and Superman can't? We can't apply realistic expectations onto comic book physics here when they work totally differently.

#37 Posted by guttridgeb (4831 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm no expert on quantum physics but I think I read somewhere that matter needs to be moving to be matter. At absolute zero it stops moving so I would assume that Superman would not be able to survive.

Don't quote me on that though :P

#38 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman is a metaphysical force for good, to quote a friend.

If there's a bad guy who needs to get socked in the jaw and absolute zero is in the way, Superman will flip absolute zero the bird and save Jimmy Olsen from that bad guy.

#39 Posted by PrinceAragorn1 (16596 posts) - - Show Bio

@bgibs13390 said:

I agree.

#40 Posted by MatteoPG (1927 posts) - - Show Bio

Actually that has nothing realistic about it, at all. I mean, absolute zero has never been observed and cannot happen in the real world. What did you mean by some realism?

#41 Posted by PrinceAragorn1 (16596 posts) - - Show Bio

@sog7dc said:

@wishiwassuperman said:

yup

I think the question was about 'can superman survive a well treated absolute zero?', and my answer would be no.

We've seen it used a lot of times, like cap cold, or iceman, yet not even one person treats it right. The reason is they get quite close to it, but not reach it, as it's a physical impossibility.

The only person who defended against an absolute zero attack the right way, to my knowledge, would probably be dark schneider. He created a perfect vortex to completely suck in the absolute zero spell.

But 'could superman survive absolute zero in a comic'? I think, as you said, writers would complete ignore grasping the greatness of the context, and make him just stand there and tank it. Just like they treat speed of light..

#42 Posted by SC (12896 posts) - - Show Bio

Depends, in one sense, no not really, as far as what absolute zero is suppose to mean, and what it does mean can be its own separate fun discussion. Anyway is isn't just a really really cold state. Saying absolute zero is really really cold is like saying the big bang is like a sort of big grenade. Totally different scope as well as totally different things happening, and what we do know isn't from direct observation. Don't worry, no character (like Galactus) should really survive, and really any that could would be doing so by voiding absolute zero or relying on reality exploits by virtue of being fictional (omnipotent characters, abstract characters, characters that can supposed exist outside and beyond reality etc )

That also being said Superman is a fictional character and fictional characters can do everything and anything imaginable and possible, like eating a banana and then coughing up monkeys, spinning galaxies around their neck and sitting in the corner of a circle room etc. Iceman has gotten to absolute zero before, but chances are that writer just figured it sounded cool and was appropriate rather than say something which would tear and destroy Earth by accident as a consequence, which is what some have hypothesized as being an actual result of absolute zero occurring on Earth somewhere. So in this sense sure why not, I mean death usually means dead and he's 'survived' 'that' and didn't he even endure a little bit of 'maximum entropy' as well, I can't recall when Doomsday was sent there whether Superman experienced any of it - and thats almost the same/similar to absolute zero.

You can sort of choose the answer you want really.

#43 Posted by RisingBean (3808 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman is a metaphysical force for good, to quote a friend.

If there's a bad guy who needs to get socked in the jaw and absolute zero is in the way, Superman will flip absolute zero the bird and save Jimmy Olsen from that bad guy.

This is awesome Venom.

#44 Posted by WIshIWasSuperman (1351 posts) - - Show Bio

@sc said:

Depends, in one sense, no not really, as far as what absolute zero is suppose to mean, and what it does mean can be its own separate fun discussion. Anyway is isn't just a really really cold state. Saying absolute zero is really really cold is like saying the big bang is like a sort of big grenade. Totally different scope as well as totally different things happening, and what we do know isn't from direct observation. Don't worry, no character (like Galactus) should really survive, and really any that could would be doing so by voiding absolute zero or relying on reality exploits by virtue of being fictional (omnipotent characters, abstract characters, characters that can supposed exist outside and beyond reality etc )

That also being said Superman is a fictional character and fictional characters can do everything and anything imaginable and possible, like eating a banana and then coughing up monkeys, spinning galaxies around their neck and sitting in the corner of a circle room etc. Iceman has gotten to absolute zero before, but chances are that writer just figured it sounded cool and was appropriate rather than say something which would tear and destroy Earth by accident as a consequence, which is what some have hypothesized as being an actual result of absolute zero occurring on Earth somewhere. So in this sense sure why not, I mean death usually means dead and he's 'survived' 'that' and didn't he even endure a little bit of 'maximum entropy' as well, I can't recall when Doomsday was sent there whether Superman experienced any of it - and thats almost the same/similar to absolute zero.

You can sort of choose the answer you want really.

So far the only person to link entropy to the actual discussion - we've got a physicist on our hands here me thinks...

IIRC to even create an "absolute zero" environment, doesn't it require adding infinite entropy or something of that nature? I mean after all we're talking about something that is technically nothing more than a concept. Interestingly though, while absolute zero still eludes us, we've managed to go "below" absolute zero apparently... achieving a negative temperature which apparently loops around on itself or something.. I don't know. I got confused as hell when I was reading the article - but I tell you what - the circumstances require dot do this experiment were VERY specific and in no way could be used as a weapon....so I'd say Superman is safe for the time being regardless.

#45 Edited by nightwing737 (1080 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes he could survive in absolute zero.

#46 Posted by green_skaar (4415 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

@green_skaar said:

@lvenger your thoughts?

Absolute zero? He'll be fine. He doesn't need oxygen, only sunlight. Since he's survived in space for long periods of time, he can cope with the pressure and temperature of absolute zero easily. I don't see how this is debatable.

Wait we're talking about the theoretical absolute zero where all molecules stop moving? How can we know that? How can you say Hulk can survive that and Superman can't? We can't apply realistic expectations onto comic book physics here when they work totally differently.

We can say Hulk survived it because Hulk did on panel, now we are speculating with Superman, that's all. I wouldn't say just because Hulk did something Superman could do it, or vice-verse, they are two very different heroes.

#47 Edited by Lvenger (19067 posts) - - Show Bio

@green_skaar: Scans or source for this feat? Besides Superman's survived in similar condtions before too IMO.

#48 Posted by green_skaar (4415 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

@green_skaar: Scans or source for this feat? Besides Superman's survived in similar condtions before too IMO.

He pulled Thor out of those conditions recently (Indestructible Hulk or Thor), @theacidskull might have a scan. I don't have a scan handy. I'm going off memory so apologies for lack of specificity.

#49 Edited by Lvenger (19067 posts) - - Show Bio

@green_skaar: Oh you mean the Eiderdurm fall scan in Indestructible Hulk 8? I gotcha now. Though he only jumped in and out of there. He didn't spend as long as Thor in there who was unconscious for most of the time and I'm not certain the Eiderdrum fall quantifies as the same conditions as these absolute zero suggestion made here.

#50 Edited by TheAcidSkull (17782 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger: @green_skaar:

Indestructible Hulk #8

HULK jumps into an absolute zero fountain and has barely a scratch on him, banners armors did help, but the armor didn't cover his body completely.