Can Superman survive Avada Kedavra?

• 78 results
reaverlation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@lvenger: it is?Thanks for that clarification. Pretty much I don't see how Superman would die from this attack

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#52  Edited By Bruxae

It all depends on how the curse works, as we all know Superman is susceptible to magic, however I seriously doubt it would kill him.

Avatar image for marvete_e_dcnauta
Marvete_e_DCnauta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman is as vulnerable to magic as everyone else, so, yes, an instant death spell would kill him on contact. It's not a magic fireball. It's death. Only the loving sacrifice of Martha Kent may protect him. =P

Loving sacrifice is an actual spell that takes a wizard to be done.

TheComedian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#55  Edited By TheComedian_

I think it kills him. Surviving other magic is good and all but he is durable. A spell that is only meant to kill doesn't care about durability.

AlphaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By AlphaQ

Potency is different to power. Tanking an energy beam or a fireball or a lightning bolt is different to tanking a love spell or a transmutation, or in this case, a killing curse.

Avatar image for thelegionproject
TheLegionProject

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not at all.

primebonnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

of course it is magic and a one hit kill so he shall die

MetalJimmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By MetalJimmor

This very strongly depends on the writer.

The Killing Curse doesn't do actual damage. It has an effect, and that effect is that it kills the person struck by it. Think of it more like a transmutation spell. As far as I know Superman's vulnerability to magic is specifically a lack of immunity to magical effects. He can tank things like magical lightning because he has a high enough durability to resist the damage done, but if he was hit by a spell that changes him, like a spell to make him a little kid again, he'd be effected by it the same as anyone else. His durability is meaningless against spells that don't inflict physical harm.

However HP magic has a rather large flaw in that their spells have to be able to penetrate the target's skin. Trolls, giants, and dragons all have thicker skin than humans which offers them a degree of resistance to magical attacks in general. Because of this it's reasonable to think Avada Kedavra cannot effect beings with substantially higher durability than a normal human, such as Superman.

So really it's a toss up. Can Avada Kedavra bypass Superman's durability because of his vulnerability to magic, or can Superman's innate durability allow him thick enough skin to have the spell bounce harmlessly off him? I'd personally say Superman could resist it, but as I said it depends on the writer.

ariesxmasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

McHotcakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Isn't it established that Superman is effected by magic the same as everyone else? So him getting hit with a spell that causes instant death should kill him. Of course I think he'd be too fast too get hit with it anyway.

AlphaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@metaljimmor Wait, I thought giants and the like had magical hides, that provided resistance? When the Aurors tried to attack Hagrid the spells bounced off him. This contrasts what we see with other spells where there is basically an explosion when it hits something unsuitable.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

Purely from a damage resistance perspective, Avada Kedavra should be able to kill giants and dragons as easily as it does humans. Spells are stronger when the effect is combined, whereas the spells that hit Hagrid mostly struck him one at a time, likely because he was fighting back so hard. The dragon tamers incapacitate one of the four Triwizard dragons by hitting it with eight Stunning Spells fired in unison, and the Acromantula that attacked Harry and Cedric in the maze shrugged off all their attempts to Stun it until they fired their spells at the same time and it was hit with the combined power of two Stunners. We know humans can survive four simultaneous Stunning Spells with medical assistance because that's what happened to McGonagall, and she was pretty old at the time so hardly a perfect human specimen, but they can't survive being struck by the Killing Curse.

At any rate, I don't think damage resistance even comes into play, because Avada Kedavra doesn't inflict any physical damage and the magical protection that trolls, giants and dragons possess seems to only apply against spells that inflict physical damage. Fleur puts a dragon to sleep with a charm and an unknown Death Eater silences Hagrid without any trouble in the forest when he yells at Harry to run from Voldemort. Avada Kedavra doesn't harm the body, it attacks the soul, either destroying it or displacing it from the body. If you want to go into Superman's resistance against attacks that are more abstract like that, that varies as well; sometimes anything will take him out, sometimes he's weathering attacks that wipe out Wonder Woman, Martian Manhunter and Green Lantern.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm going to say it depends on who is casting the spell. If its a high level wizard using a powerful wand then I'd say dead supes, if its anything less than Supes prob tanks it somehow.

magnablue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

He'd die

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm inclined to say he'd die because magic works on him, and someone like Voldemort is definitely strong enough for the spell to work. Its hard to kill superman though, I feel like he will always be able to come back if he's thrown in the sun or something.

Avatar image for thelegionproject
TheLegionProject

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324: throw his body into the Veil, let's see If he comes back...

MetalJimmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By MetalJimmor

@alphaq:

I'm fairly sure it was described as a result of the creatures having thick hides. At least that's what the wiki and other sources I've read have said on the subject. If you could find a quote from the book that contradicts that it'd be quite welcome, as I can't recall everything from the books word for word and don't have a copy on hand to look it up.

@saren:

I don't think the spell resistance of these creatures only work against damage oriented spells. I feel they'd work against all manner of projectile spells. Otherwise magical creatures would be incredibly simple to deal with rather than being these huge, dangerous obstacles they are represented as in the books. Snape had a hard time getting passed Fluffy and he's a highly accomplished wizard. If Fluffy was susceptible to non-damage spells a simple transmutation charm could have turned her into a normal sized puppy. Same goes for the dragons in the Tri-Wizard Tournament. Instead they had to find a very specific way to use their magic to deal with the beasts.

AlphaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By AlphaQ

@metaljimmor I don't have any direct quotes I'm afraid.

Hermione considered it possible to transmute a dragon, but it was because of it's size that she deemed it impractical.

Fluffy could be simply too big to be transmuted.

AlphaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@metaljimmor Aha! A quote:

'Dragons are extremely difficult to slay, owing to the ancient magic that imbues their thick hides, which none but the most powerful spells can penetrate...but Sirius said a simple one would do it...' -Goblet of Fire: The First Task.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

@saren:

I don't think the spell resistance of these creatures only work against damage oriented spells. I feel they'd work against all manner of projectile spells. Otherwise magical creatures would be incredibly simple to deal with rather than being these huge, dangerous obstacles they are represented as in the books. Snape had a hard time getting passed Fluffy and he's a highly accomplished wizard. If Fluffy was susceptible to non-damage spells a simple transmutation charm could have turned her into a normal sized puppy. Same goes for the dragons in the Tri-Wizard Tournament. Instead they had to find a very specific way to use their magic to deal with the beasts.

I'm not sure power levels in the first book were the same as later ones, because otherwise Voldemort wouldn't have been ordering Quirrell to wrestle with Harry, nor would Quirell have tried to, when he could have easily incapacitated an 11 year old boy in other ways. Even so, transmutation is an act of physical alteration. Dragons are noted to have an exploitable weak spot in their eyes, which is why Krum takes his out with a Conjunctivitis Curse (and without much difficulty either, judging from Ron stating Krum's performance was better than Cedric's and Fleur's and him only losing points because he put the dragon in so much pain that it destroyed some of the real eggs), so how dangerous they are depends on the knowledge and ability of whoever they're facing.

AgentofChaos1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman is immortal

MetalJimmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By MetalJimmor

@alphaq:

Makes sense for dragons, though not giants and trolls. I kind of wish we'd seen more dragons than we did, but I suppose there weren't many practical places to put them in the story.

@saren:

That's a fair point. Most debaters try to ignore it, but a lot of writers don't actually have a set power hierarchy in mind by book 1. This can result in irregular feats where characters don't use their full ability early on despite there being no reason why they shouldn't.

The eyes are a weak spot because they aren't covered by the magical hide. Though while transfiguration is an act of physical alteration I'm not sure it counts as physical damage, it's merely changing the form and composition of one thing into another. Similarly the killing curse does the same, changing the body from alive to dead. As far as I know it doesn't necessarily attack the soul, that's just one theory of how it might work. A fair example is when Fawkes takes a killing curse and dies, but is reborn as phoenixes tend to do. If it attacked the soul I don't imagine the soul could have been reborn so easily. At the very least it's a good showing if anyone were to try and figure out if a regenerator could survive the curse.

AlphaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@metaljimmor Hmm, I have to disagree. It seems simpler that the same resistance that protects dragons protects trolls and giants. I think I'll search for some more feats tomorrow, it's too late today though.

MetalJimmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alphaq:

Giants and trolls don't seem especially magical, just large. Dragons at least breath fire and have flight despite their size and weight. They are clearly very magical creatures.

Don't worry about the feats. We're in no rush.

AlphaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@metaljimmor

You have a point that dragons are more magical seeing as every every part of there bodies is magical, and carefully restricted. I still think simplicity wins out though. Giants seem to be too big to not be magical either though.