Avatar image for sheryinistoosexy
sheryinistoosexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By sheryinistoosexy

If Voldemort used the curse "Avada Kedavra" on Superman, would he survive?

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

Probably not.

kyrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

he'd survive it. all avada has killed at this point are normal human beings.

sheryinistoosexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By sheryinistoosexy

@kyrees: I know that, but can it kill Superman?

Avatar image for deactivated-627010180bd2d
deactivated-627010180bd2d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

kyrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By kyrees
sheryinistoosexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By sheryinistoosexy
SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

kyrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sheryinistoosexy: becasue solely on the fact that superman has tanked stronger magic. a killing curse from a dark arts powered human would not be enough to do that. i'd reckon magic from higher beings would do that.

Avatar image for deactivated-627010180bd2d
deactivated-627010180bd2d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sheryinistoosexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kyrees: Different universe though. Who knows?

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

kyrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sheryinistoosexy: so voldemort can avada anyone in dc and kill them ? that's a no limits fallacy. there's a limit of what it can do. all avada has killed are humans. kal isn't exactly human and he has shown magic resistance feats in the past.

reaverlation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman would shrug it off

sheryinistoosexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By sheryinistoosexy

@pokeysteve: Your weren't in the conversation. Get out. LOL

Tyger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Tyger

It would kill him.

But then Dr. Fate would counter-curse and throw Superman into the Sun to revive him.

Then Superman would take away the dark magician's wand and break it with super speed.

impossibilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

Besides kryptonite, Superman's other big weakness is magic. Unless Superman was getting some kind of magical support from another character, or managed to avoid the curse from hitting him, the Avada Kedavra curse could probably kill him.

Avatar image for supermanmanthebest
supermanmanthebest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

superman beats every one poof he is superman

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Yes, Superman is effected by magic the same way everyone else is. So... yep.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I meant Supes would die BTW.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 rogueshadow  Moderator

Dead Superman :(

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

S_Knight360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I reckon it would take 3-4 direct Avada Kedavra's to kill Superman

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

I say it would kill him, the entire point of the curse is to kill, that's its sole function, Superman has no defense against it.

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Besides kryptonite, Superman's other big weakness is magic. Unless Superman was getting some kind of magical support from another character, or managed to avoid the curse from hitting him, the Avada Kedavra curse could probably kill him.

Not sure what version you're talking about or if you're just exaggerating, but Superman has a resistance to magic.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Superman is as vulnerable to magic as everyone else, so, yes, an instant death spell would kill him on contact. It's not a magic fireball. It's death. Only the loving sacrifice of Martha Kent may protect him. =P

impossibilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By impossibilly

@awesam said:

Superman has a resistance to magic.

Is this a new development in the New 52? Because before the New 52, he was definitely vulnerable to magic.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 the_stegman  Moderator

Superman is as vulnerable to magic as everyone else, so, yes, an instant death spell would kill him on contact. It's not a magic fireball. It's death. Only the loving sacrifice of Martha Kent may protect him. =P

Now I'm thinking of Voldemort coming to kill Kal right when he landed in Smallville, and having Martha jump to protect him, thus making his the "Boy of Steel who Lived".

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@awesam said:

Is this a new development in the New 52? Because before the New 52, he was definitely vulnerable to magic.

No, he was always pretty resistant.

impossibilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By impossibilly

@awesam: Sorry Sam, but in this case, you're wrong. Superman is definitely not resistant to magic. He's vulnerable to it. Googling either "Is Superman weak against magic?" or "Is Superman resistant to magic?" should provide sufficient proof.

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By AweSam

@impossibilly: He has taken some hard hits from powerful magic users. He even tanked a few SHAZAM's in Kingdom Come. He's not immune to magic, but he's not exactly vulnerable. If Captain Marvel hit Superman with magic lightning, it would hurt, but it wouldn't kill him. However, it would kill a lot of other people or do a lot more damage. Superman is not weak to magic, he's just not as invulnerable to it as he is to other things. Calling it a "weakness" is a massive exaggeration. No one's invulnerable to magic.

Alak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Alak

The whole magic thing has really been iffy with Superman. People in DC's universe say he's vulnerable to magic and that's true since spells can affect him, but he does seem to deal with magical attacks much better than your average Joe. The way I see it is that he'd survive Avada Kedavra just like he'd survive the Omega Effect. It'll knock him out cold, but I doubt it'd kill him.

impossibilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@awesam: You're right in that my use of weakness might have been an overstep, but so is your saying that he's resistant to magic. I should have said in my first post that Superman is vulnerable to magic (as opposed to saying he has a weakness to it). He has about as much resistance to magic as a baseline human does. Avada Kedavra would kill him.

DaveT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@awesam said:

@impossibilly said:

@awesam said:

No, he was always pretty resistant.

Actually Superman was always vulnerable to magic. I am sure that different writers, write his vulnerability to varying degrees. The way I see it is if he was hit will a killing spell it would take him longer to die than an average human but it still affects him. This could buy him enough time for a counter spell to be cast or for him to be cured. A scenario close to this was written in Justice League #13 & 14 by Geoff Johns and Tony Daniel (so yes he is still susceptible to it in the New 52).

At the end of issue #13 he is bitten by the Cheetah, whose powers come from a mystical dagger she found in the Black Room (where A.R.G.U.S. keeps all their magical objects) at A.R.G.U.S. This turns Superman into a were-Cheetah. Superman’s mutation in the book is described by the leader of the tribe the Cheetah originated from, “We have seen this before. Some victims have lived long enough that they go into anaphylactic shock. They undergo a (untranslatable) metamorphosis. They become one with the Cheetah just before death.”

To save Superman they need to act quickly and put some type of (most likely magical) blood on the wound. He is saved.

So basically this illustrates what I said above. Superman is vulnerable to magic but probably not as susceptible as an average human being.

Though the real answer to the question is that Superman would die if you or whoever was writing the story chose for that to be the outcome.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kyrees: I'm sure if voldemort used it he would die. The curse is only as strong as the wizards will is. When he was teaching, Mad eye moody said that if all the students in the class tried to use it on him he would only get a nosebleed because they aren't strong enough. But a wizard like voldemort could take out superman. Being resistant to magic like that isn't really part of his power set.

impossibilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By impossibilly

I feel like @davet's post is a good compromise between my point of view and @awesam's and in this little debate.

Oh, and excellent point on the strength of the wizard casting the spell, @jayc1324!

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@awesam: You're right in that my use of weakness might have been an overstep, but so is your saying that he's resistant to magic. I should have said in my first post that Superman is vulnerable to magic (as opposed to saying he has a weakness to it). He has about as much resistance to magic as a baseline human does. Avada Kedavra would kill him.

Are you joking? Like I said, Superman has tanked hard magical hits. This includes Shazam's lightning bolts. A normal human would be incinerated. Also, I said he has a resistance. I didn't specify to what degree.

reaverlation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Surprised @lvenger hasn't intervened in this yet...

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

90 Superman 100% no since Zatanna´s spells could almost kill him

Now probably not

DaveT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@awesam said:

@impossibilly said:

Are you joking? Like I said, Superman has tanked hard magical hits. This includes Shazam's lightning bolts. A normal human would be incinerated. Also, I said he has a resistance. I didn't specify to what degree.

I think I would still qualify magic as a weakness for Superman. Logically I think we need to compare magic with another weakness of his to see if it actually is a weakness rather than a human. Let's not a forget that Superman is an alien and not a human.

I say both of these statements would be true:

• A piece of green kryptonite could weaken him and eventually kill him.
  • A killing spell could weaken him and eventually kill him.

Also, would a Shazam lightning bolt kill a human? Have we ever seen that? I've only seen them transform humans into something stronger. I could be wrong. Green kryptonite does not affect kryptonians and humans the same way. Why would we assume magical lighting would?

Also I think @jayc1324makes a good point about the strength of the wizard/magician. In Kingdom Come, Captain Marvel was compromised by Mister Mind. Could the lightning bolts not have been as powerful in comparison to Billy Batson in his prime?

kyrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By kyrees

@jayc1324: voldemort maybe the strongest dark wizard in the series but without any proof on who backs up that dark magic he access to it, its questionable to me that he can kill him. he has tanked magic that came from gods. (shazam's lightning bolt comes to mind)

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kyrees: Superman has some resistance to magic but he can still be affected by it. There was a magical shield around hogwarts once and literally every member of voldemorts army tried to take it down at the same time and failed. Voldemort then proceded to destroy the shield by himself with a single spell. His magic is insanely powerful. He is more powerful than hundreds of wizards put together.

What magical effects does shazams lighting have anyway?

kyrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324: yes, he is strong on HP standards but on dc standards ? it remains unquantifiable to a point because of lack of knowledge where it came from

shazam's lightning as far as i remembered is powered by forgotten gods and gods in dc have been the source of magic. for most parts, it changes a normal human being into shazam and he uses the same bolt on his fights as well.

WarDishy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Doesn't this depend on Voldemort actually getting the drop on Superman in the first place? Superman could probably blitz him before he gets the spell off, or evade the curse.

kyrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By kyrees

@wardishy: it's already understood here that curses in harry potter universe are dodgable and anyone with sufficient speed can solo the HP universe. what is being discussed here is on the event that kal gets hit by an avada

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

Surprised @lvenger hasn't intervened in this yet...

I can't say for certain how it might affect Superman. I mean it could, it is magic and it is designed for killing its target so going by that logic, Superman could die if he was hit by the spell.

reaverlation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By reaverlation

@lvenger: Just that Superman has actually survived worse magic attacks that

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Lvenger

@reaverlation: Which ones are you talking about? Arion's flaying winds, Satanus' magical transmutation, Disciple's evolutionary regression or Captain Marvel's Shazam lightning?

reaverlation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: The one I remember 100% is Billy's lightning.Also one magic attack,that I can't remember all the way,where it basically knocked out the Justice League and Superman was still standing. This is Pre 52 Superman I'm using

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers