Can stealing comics digitaly be good for some people?

Avatar image for crimsonthunder1
Crimson Thunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 19

#1  Edited By Crimson Thunder

I believe that it's wrong, because I would like to become a comic book artist one day and I wouldn't like for people to steal what I worked so hard on. In these years of economic distress many people who love comics just can't buy them because of the seemingly increasing prices. Many people I know download comics illegaly, not because they are some evil people not wanting to pay for eanything, but because they love comics and don't have the money at the time to buy the things that they love. When they get the money they delete the illegal comics. So is this right for them to do in their situation, or is it still wrong?

RedOwl_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By RedOwl_1

Depends, what if you can't buy them because they actually don't sell them?

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#4  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

I wait for the TPBs to come out and then loiter in Barnes and Noble.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By BatteredArmor

I have about 10.......um free comics but in my defense i pump about 50 bucks into a comic store monthly so I don't sweat it and I also don't judge my friends who have a hell of allot more than 10....free comics and have never been in a comic store in their lives. But whether you steal um I mean receive free online books or go to a comic store weekly I think we can all unite by doing what JediXman said

MrMiracle77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By MrMiracle77

Digital or physical, theft is still theft.  Just because you can do it from a chair at your computer, and just because it is easy, that doesn't make it okay.

I own a number of things outside of my house that aren't bolted in place.  Does that make them okay to steal?

Avatar image for yumyumbubblegum
yumyumbubblegum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By yumyumbubblegum

If you believe it is wrong, then why did you make this thread? Tis a confession?

Yumulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Yumulu

@MrMiracle77 said:

I own a number of things outside of my house that aren't bolted in place. Does that make them okay to steal?

Only if it garden gnomes, but in that case it not stealing it called liberating.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By Gambit1024

@JediXMan said:

I wait for the TPBs to come out and then loiter in Barnes and Noble.

Same.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By Billy Batson

Some either download comics or go to the library and borrow. They're pretty much the same to me. Is it really that bad if someone downloads or borrows and after (s)he has read it, would buy it afterwards even if a month or a year later? I think not.
BB

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#11  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

I don't see how it would be right in any way

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Billy Batson

@spiderbat87 said:

checking what you're going to buy?
BB

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
@Billy Batson said:

@spiderbat87 said:

BB

That's what previews and reviews are for 
Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Billy Batson

@spiderbat87 said:

@Billy Batson said:

@spiderbat87 said:

BB

but what if there are none?
BB

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
@Billy Batson said:

@spiderbat87 said:

@Billy Batson said:

@spiderbat87 said:

BB

but what if there are none?
BB

Take a chance?
IIDEADxPOOLII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By IIDEADxPOOLII

@Crimson Thunder said:

I believe that it's wrong, because I would like to become a comic book artist one day and I wouldn't like for people to steal what I worked so hard on. In these years of economic distress many people who love comics just can't buy them because of the seemingly increasing prices. Many people I know download comics illegaly, not because they are some evil people not wanting to pay for eanything, but because they love comics and don't have the money at the time to buy the things that they love. When they get the money they delete the illegal comics. So is this right for them to do in their situation, or is it still wrong?

You just answered your own question. Also some people may not have a store near them that sells comics for example I have a cousin who lives in South Carolina he told me he has to go about 50 miles just to get to the mall where a Barnes and Nobles is that's just to far to say your going just to get some comics

Nudeviking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By Nudeviking

@IIDEADxPOOLII Distance shouldn't really be an issue anymore. The same technology that makes it easy to steal comics makes it just as easy to buy them legally. DC and Marvel both have digital download services that allow you to buy the books with your computer, phone, or ipad, and if you're the kind of person who actually wants a book you can put on your shelf after your done reading it, Amazon will ship books anywhere.

Avatar image for majinblackheart
MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator

I really love good food. Should I just dine and dash all the time?

@MrMiracle77 said:

Digital or physical, theft is still theft. Just because you can do it from a chair at your computer, and just because it is easy, that doesn't make it okay.

What he said. Unless it's life or death, there is no good reason to steal something. If people love comics, then they should make other sacrifices to try and get them, not just steal them because it is easy. I have a comic budget. I DON'T get other things I like or want so I can get comics. If all your friends got together, came up with the amount of comics they could reasonable afford, make a pool to see what everyone likes and go buy them and pass them around and make a thing out of it, they would be able to catch up on more comics than if they just bought them on their own.

Most people can make excuses and justify it all day long, but you aren't doing the industry any service by reading and not paying for comics.

Avatar image for yumyumbubblegum
yumyumbubblegum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By yumyumbubblegum

@Crimson Thunder said:

@yumyumbubblegum: The article was for some friends, to prove a point that it is wrong.

You do realize that by bringing this up, you are inhibiting your friends from expanding their interest in comics and as a result reducing rounds for a general conversation? That said, I do see where you're coming from but if I were you, I would let the issue slide and just enjoy the common interest you and your friends have in comics. Would you let a friend play baseball if he didn't have a mitt, or/and a bat?

HughJass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By HughJass

No, but if you want to frame stealing because you're poor as some kind of crusade against tyranny, then more power to ya.

jaywray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By jaywray

Just gona say it, I do download the occasional comic, usually a #1-3 to see what a series is like if I know nothing off it, most of the time I get my friends to lend me them, but if it's a last resort?

Yeah ill download it, the only reason I got into Iron Fist was because my MMA coach read him as a kid and got him into martial arts, downloaded some stuff from the old days, bought the stuff from the new days.

I know a lot of people disagree with it, but unlike some, I DO know many'a people who started downloading, and went onto buying... In fact Ill even go against the curb and say it's helped in some ways, comics don't have a reputation exactly for being a "cool" hobby, but I've gotten a few people into them just personally, by sending people downloaded versions, who've went on to buy the hardcovers.

Theft is theft... But every cloud has a silver lining.

Buying feels better, I don't like reading on a laptop screen, or whatever anywhere near as much as a traditional comic or hardback <-- is the way to go...

Well get on with it then...Smite me oh mighty smiters!

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 84

User Lists: 99

#22  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

What if someone gives CDs full of digital comics to an innocent party? Are they still innocent if they stop the passing of those CDs? and what should that person do with those CDs if they did not pay for them but are given them as a gift?

Just some questions I always wondered about the passing of illegal copys of comics...

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By Daveyo520

Not an excuse.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#24  Edited By Mercy_
@jloneblackheart

I really love good food. Should I just dine and dash all the time?

@MrMiracle77 said:

Digital or physical, theft is still theft. Just because you can do it from a chair at your computer, and just because it is easy, that doesn't make it okay.

What he said. Unless it's life or death, there is no good reason to steal something. If people love comics, then they should make other sacrifices to try and get them, not just steal them because it is easy. I have a comic budget. I DON'T get other things I like or want so I can get comics. If all your friends got together, came up with the amount of comics they could reasonable afford, make a pool to see what everyone likes and go buy them and pass them around and make a thing out of it, they would be able to catch up on more comics than if they just bought them on their own.

Most people can make excuses and justify it all day long, but you aren't doing the industry any service by reading and not paying for comics.

Exactly this.
Avatar image for deactivated-5bf70359d2dd1
deactivated-5bf70359d2dd1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I stay jackin comics (mostly old comics), is it wrong yes it is. But I don't care.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#26  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

Depends on who writes it. If you're downloading a comic by Bendis or Johns, there's nothing wrong with it, because those writers are terrible and their works are a crime against humanity. It's like shooting Hiter, would you really consider that murder?  

Not to mention that downloading one issue to preview something is just logical if you trade-wait.  

And more to the point, when we buy a comic that is terrible, like Siege, are the writers not robbing us? We pay for a certain level of competency in our entertainment, and when we're given something that is essentially *hit, how is the consumer not being screwed?  

Fine, they're not thieves, they're rapists. 

puinno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By puinno

I think in some instances it can be good and in other instances it can be bad. What if you downloaded digital comics that you already own in hard copy? I have heard of people who this so that they do not have to open up their long boxes to take out a comic and possibly damage it in some way.

And about the "taking a chance" defense that someone stated...this plays along with what someone already mentioned: during economic hardships a lot of people do not want to take chances on comics. I think their should be previews to all comics and not just a select group (sometimes might only be from the big 2 publishers)

I also agree with what someone else already stated above. Older comics are harder and more expensive to come by and not all comics are reprinted into tpbs as well.

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Jnr6Lil

Can stealing comics digitaly be good for some people?

Many people say the same when it comes to WWE PPvs and stream sites

Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#29  Edited By Caligula

I work in the film industry. And this is an issue in more than one industry and I feel about it the same as I do on all fronts. I consider myself an artist, I would do what I do even if it made my me 0 dollars. I believe any true artist is like myself we do it because we enjoy doing it, and having other people see it. I don't care how they came about seeing it as long as they see it.

(and anyone who knows me, knows I work in an industry where piracy is a real issue) but the only people who take issue with it are the greedy, and the ones who don't do it because they enjoy, they do it because it's a job to them.