Can Robert Downey Jr's Iroman pull of being the Villain?

Tex_The_Slayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

My biggest problem with the Civil War movie is that I 'm not sure if they can make Tony a full out villain you hate like in the comics. Thoughts?

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

No.

Beata

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do I think RDJ can be a villian? Absolutely, he's just that good of an actor..but Stark wasn't a "Villian" in Civil War..a jacka$$ yes, but not a villian...His intentions were just coming from a different POV

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope he does. But It would be too radical the change.

Tex_The_Slayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shazam117:

Fair enough but to the average person his team were the bad guys. Even if it's just a different POV. I just don't know if they can turn there number 1 character into someone you're suppose too hate.There normal Villains aren't that good so can they make the best selling hero they have into a complete jackass? I mean I'm sure it will be good either way.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tex_the_slayer: Hey if they play the cards right, some average viewers may come out thinking Cap is being stubborn and a jacka$$. The point of Civil War was there really wasn't a defined "villian" per-say. It's all about perspective and raising questions and which side you fall on or agree with. That's what made Civil War interesting and compelling (at least to me). MARVEL Studios needs to stay away from just painting Stark as a black n' white villain in this movie and just build on the tension between him and Cap and have it come to a breaking point. It's what makes their relationship so interesting in the comics.

I don't think RDJ will turn into a bad guy either, but I get the feeling as an actor he is jumping at the bit to tackle these themes for the character, and go into a different territory where things aren't so black and white between heroism and villainy....it keeps things fresh for himself, the character and us viewers.

Tex_The_Slayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shazam117:

I'm just saying. When you profit off a war against your former allies you'd seem like the villain to the average viewer but I agree completely with what you are saying.

TysonCage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TysonCage

@shazam117 said:

Hey if they play the cards right, some average viewers may come out thinking Cap is being stubborn and a jacka$$.

That would be the worst outcome for a Captain America movie, but I see your point. I'm still hoping that what you say will be true, that Marvel keeps it neutral at best and not turn this into an Iron Man movie just to grab the audience's attention and money.

Tex_The_Slayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope they portray both sides as "right & wrong" it would be nice to look at the film and see that they both are fighting for a side that makes sense and that it's a difficult choice to make.

Tex_The_Slayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Tex_The_Slayer

@feartheliving:

Well that was kind of a sub plot or to some the main plot of Winter Soldier. Of Course in that it felt like Cap was right more then Fury. Then Again that's just opinion

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By rogueshadow  Moderator

I sided with Iron Man practically, but Cap philosophically, which makes sense when you consider their characters. Iron Man wasn't a villain.

PurePleazure4u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know what to think anymore.

DraciosV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here is the main point people should get imo.

Tony does not need to be a villain. He simply is on a different side. He doesn't need to be arrogant. He doesnt need to be a jerk. The cinematic universe in this way can be better. There will be no villain. Only a different side. That's it.

Tex_The_Slayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@draciosv:

But Tony is already Arrogant and a Jerk :p

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Black_Arrow

Tony is a villain. I have proof.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tex_the_slayer: I gotcha. I guess what I'm saying is that the themes for Civil War and Cap/Starks relationship is deeper than that...it's deeper than just painting Iron Man as a villian just "because of an disagreeance so he's fighting other heroes". Take what Batman did in The Dark Knight to finally catch the Joker. He took Fox's sonar tech and turned it into a privacy erasing monster that invaded Gotham citizens phones and lives. Some will look at that as a villianous thing to do or crossing the line..is Batman a "Villain" now?...No...The ends justified the means and he ends up redeeming himself by movies finale and saving everyone. If the movie is written and filmed right, I believe Stark will come off as a man whom strongly believes in what he's doing is saving lives and will do what's necessary to see it through. Will he maybe come off as crossing the line as Batman did in TDK?... probably ....but I think people are smart enough to realize the deeper intentions and not just paint him as "oh, he's a villain"

TysonCage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn, I'll be pumped if Civil War's ambiguity is anything as awesome as The Dark Knight's.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tysoncage: I hope so too. I mean having RDJ in film is def going raise interest even more & will add even more bank for them. But I have confidence in MARVEL Studios to keep things neutral between Cap and Stark and not making either side come off as too douchey. If the movie is written/filmed right it should split the audience between the two characters with one of them being redeemed at the end of the film or perhaps not until a later film. Either way I'm game, I think this'll keep things from getting stangnant in the MCU and add even more depth between the characters.

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13