Can I get your input on how you like to read comics online?

rocketpig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By rocketpig

I didn't want to put this in the artist show-off (where I spend most of my time) because I wanted to get feedback from actual comic readers on the subject.

I've been working on an online comic for about a year and a half and after following Mark Waid's progress with Thrillbent, I started thinking more about how digital comics are presented and why they're presented that way. I totally dig what Mark is doing over there and thought about applying some of the same things to my own comic. So, if you could take a few minutes and give me feedback about it, I'd really appreciate it.

Here is the way my comic is viewed now. It's pretty straightforward webcomic stuff with a slight twist. Still, it's a static page, like you'd read in print.

http://variables.selfcentent.com/comic/variables-2002-1/

Here is a revised version with more comic "motion" (though not motion comics, ugh). Don't mind the site design, it's a test site. This covers the first 1 1/2 pages of that same issue. It's rough around the edges because this is more of a working prototype than an actual comic I'd release on my site. It definitely needs some polish.

http://ftgotp.selfcentent.com/?page_id=2

Which would you rather read and why? What do you like or dislike about each format? Any comment or criticism is welcome and I thank you for your time.

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Jorgevy

IMO for a webcomic, I really like the second one. It's easy to read and not confuse or mistake which parts to read and it does give a sense of "motion"

Apart from that, interesting story you got there. Are you greek?

rocketpig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By rocketpig

@Jorgevy said:

IMO for a webcomic, I really like the second one. It's easy to read and not confuse or mistake which parts to read and it does give a sense of "motion"

Apart from that, interesting story you got there. Are you greek?

Nope, just did a ton of reading on the country and its recent history before I started this story arc. Variables jumps all over the world and requires a lot of research for every character/arc I plan out.

The more I play with this idea, the more I like the concept. The upside is that it's also a print comic and I draw it as such... which means that I'm not sacrificing too much to make it "motion" in webcomic form. I'm just worried that without careful implementation, I'll sacrifice too much from each format to make it good in either.

Thanks for the comments!

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By InnerVenom123

I much prefer the second one.

rocketpig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By rocketpig

Excellent. I think this provides a much nicer reading experience. Now I need to hammer out the details.

rocketpig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By rocketpig