• 73 results
#1 Edited by Battle_Forum_Junkie (8728 posts) - - Show Bio

So, I'm thinking about dropping Aquaman. The writing's great but it just hasn't been doing it for me lately. I find myself not all that excited to pick it up each month. I'm going to stick with it till the story arc's finished, but after that I'm going to drop it.

I'm also thinking of replacing it with another title.

I was kind of thinking of a title not from one of the big two kind of branch out, you know? Anyway, I was wondering if someone would mind giving me some suggestions?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks for reading. :)

EDIT: So, I wanted to start picking up Wake, but they where all sold out of issue #1, and I hate not starting a series at the beginning of either the series or a story arc.

Does anyone else have some suggestions? Preferably 2.99 comics. It really would help. Thanks. :)

#2 Edited by TheManInTheShoe (3878 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman/Superman is pretty good.

#3 Edited by Battle_Forum_Junkie (8728 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh, I already read TMNT and Captain Midnight, I'm just not the one who buys them.

#4 Posted by Wolverine08 (45689 posts) - - Show Bio

Scarlet Spider, Green Arrow, or Thor: God of Thunder.

#5 Edited by The_Tree (7983 posts) - - Show Bio

Chew! You'll have a decent amount of issues to catch up on, but it's a fantastic, hilarious series.

If you don't want to catch up on too much, I'd also recommend Mind MGMT. It's a great indy series that's only 13 issues in. It's also very different than anything the big two is currently putting out.

#6 Edited by Battle_Forum_Junkie (8728 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08: @themanintheshoe: I said in the first post that I wanted something that wasn't from the big two.

Sorry I wasn't too clear.

I completely agree, though. Green Arrow, Thor, and Batman/Superman are great!

#7 Posted by Strider92 (16837 posts) - - Show Bio

@battle_forum_junkie: Scarlet Spider (Marvel), Harbinger (Valiant), Bloodshot (Valiant), X-O Manowar (Valiant), Lazarus (Image), Saga (Image), Aphrodite IX (Top Cow), The Darkness (Top Cow), Constantine (DC).

#8 Posted by TheManInTheShoe (3878 posts) - - Show Bio
#9 Posted by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

Saga is pretty awesome.

#10 Posted by Mercy_ (91887 posts) - - Show Bio

What are you already reading and what kind of vibe are you looking for the book to have?

Lazarus is a must-read, as far as I'm concerned. As is Saga.

#11 Edited by DecoyElite (4019 posts) - - Show Bio
#12 Posted by Strider92 (16837 posts) - - Show Bio

@mercy_ said:

What are you already reading and what kind of vibe are you looking for the book to have?

Someone else other than me is reading that title!!!!! I'm so happy!

#13 Posted by DecoyElite (4019 posts) - - Show Bio

Burn the Orphanage is another good title that just started.

#14 Posted by Deranged Midget (17974 posts) - - Show Bio

I was going to recommend TMNT but you said you have already read that. If you've stuck mostly with the on-going, check out the History of the Foot Clan. Our own k4tzm4n has a fantastic article putting it into more detail!

On top of that, check out The Walking Dead, Saga, Invincible or one of my recent personal faves, Star Wars by Brian Wood!

#15 Posted by broo1232 (1520 posts) - - Show Bio

Astro city, that's really good.

#16 Posted by Mercy_ (91887 posts) - - Show Bio

@mercy_ said:

Someone else other than me is reading that title!!!!! I'm so happy!

I'M OBSESSED. It's my favorite book out right now, which I never say this early in the game. It's that book right now that I need the next issue as soon as I finish reading one.

OMFG it's amazing. I just ugh, can't go on enough about it. Everybody should be reading Lazarus, it's the best of all worlds. It's like a semi-apocalypse/sci-fi/Game of Thrones/mafia mash up and it's perfect.

#17 Posted by Battle_Forum_Junkie (8728 posts) - - Show Bio
#18 Edited by Strider92 (16837 posts) - - Show Bio

@mercy_ said:

I'M OBSESSED. It's my favorite book out right now, which I never say this early in the game. It's that book right now that I need the next issue as soon as I finish reading one.

OMFG it's amazing. I just ugh, can't go on enough about it. Everybody should be reading Lazarus, it's the best of all worlds. It's like a semi-apocalypse/sci-fi/Game of Thrones/mafia mash up and it's perfect.

Its at the top of my list too! (Scarlet Spider coming second to something for the first time in about 9months) its amazing! An yeah my first throught while I was reading it was "This is Fallout, Game Of Thrones and The Godfather....why has it taken someone so long to think of this!!!". I picked up the 1st one just by chance. Was walking past a newagents saw it and just bought it on a whim. I went back the same day and bought the second lol!

#19 Edited by JEdThing (171 posts) - - Show Bio

The Wake (Vertigo)

#20 Posted by TheManInTheShoe (3878 posts) - - Show Bio

@battle_forum_junkie: Fearless Defenders used to be good. Batgirl (unless you didn't want anything bat related).

#21 Posted by Mercy_ (91887 posts) - - Show Bio

@mercy_ said:

Its at the top of my list too! (Scarlet Spider coming second to something for the first time in about 9months) its amazing! An yeah my first throught while I was reading it was "This is Fallout, Game Of Thrones and The Godfather....why has it taken someone so long to think of this!!!". I picked up the 1st one just by chance. Was walking past a newagents saw it and just bought it on a whim. I went back the same day and bought the second lol!

I read the first two issues the same day, as well. The world building is amazing, the pages at the back of the book with the timelines and everything. So intricate and in-depth. And Greg Rucka runs familycarlyle.tumblr.com where he posts/reblogs tons of science articles that are relevant to the book. All of the science in there is based on current/cutting edge science. Everything is feasible from where we are today which is crazy to think about.

This is a book that I recommend to everybody who'll listen and it's easy to do that, considering we're only two issues in.

#22 Posted by Strider92 (16837 posts) - - Show Bio

@mercy_: Cheers for the link I was unaware of Rucka was doing that. I'll make sure to keep an eye on it! Yeah hopefully more people will pick it up i've recommended it to few people here don't know if they tried it or not (if you're reading this you know who you are!!).

#23 Posted by Immortal777 (7735 posts) - - Show Bio

HellBlazer, Fables, Sandman, American Vampire, Lucifer, Preacher and Swamp Thing all Vertigo.

#24 Posted by Mercy_ (91887 posts) - - Show Bio

@strider92: No problem! Tell them I'll beat them if they don't read it :P

#25 Edited by ccraft (5594 posts) - - Show Bio

IDW's Judge Dredd is pretty great

#26 Posted by Mucklefluga (2602 posts) - - Show Bio
#27 Posted by Mucklefluga (2602 posts) - - Show Bio

@mercy_ said:

@strider92 said:

@mercy_ said:

I read the first two issues the same day, as well. The world building is amazing, the pages at the back of the book with the timelines and everything. So intricate and in-depth. And Greg Rucka runs familycarlyle.tumblr.com where he posts/reblogs tons of science articles that are relevant to the book. All of the science in there is based on current/cutting edge science. Everything is feasible from where we are today which is crazy to think about.

This is a book that I recommend to everybody who'll listen and it's easy to do that, considering we're only two issues in.

Lazaus is like perfection, that world is so rich and mesmerizing. Rucka and Lark are the perfect team.

#28 Posted by Strider92 (16837 posts) - - Show Bio

@mercy_ said:

@strider92: No problem! Tell them I'll beat them if they don't read it :P

I shall pass along that warning of impending violence. Just don't hurt them too much!

#29 Posted by DecoyElite (4019 posts) - - Show Bio

So what I'm getting from this thread is that I should be reading Lazarus.

#30 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (35151 posts) - - Show Bio
#31 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (35151 posts) - - Show Bio

@mercy_ said:

@strider92 said:

@mercy_ said:

cool, I didn't know about that blog

#32 Posted by Mercy_ (91887 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous: Yeah, no problem. You should definitely give it a read-through, it's really fascinating stuff.

@mucklefluga: Couldn't agree more. And it's a great gateway book for people who may not be overly into comics and/or are turned off by the huge amount of canon in the Big Two.

@strider92: I'll try and restrain myself

#33 Posted by Icarusflies (12513 posts) - - Show Bio

The Manhattan Projects is my personal favorite right now. I'd highly recommend it.

#34 Edited by Battle_Forum_Junkie (8728 posts) - - Show Bio
@mercy_ said:

Well, I've always liked street-level type titles, but I'll read almost anything if the writing's good and it's got some good action. I kind of want something gritty feeling but not too dark. kind of like TMNT.

Hope that makes sense.

#35 Posted by TDK_1997 (15097 posts) - - Show Bio

Conan the Barbarian,Saga and maybe Bedlam.All three have been great so far and I love them.

#36 Posted by Battle_Forum_Junkie (8728 posts) - - Show Bio
#37 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6540 posts) - - Show Bio
#38 Posted by Battle_Forum_Junkie (8728 posts) - - Show Bio

@ccraft said:

I was actually wondering about that already.

When might be a good place to try it out?

#39 Posted by Battle_Forum_Junkie (8728 posts) - - Show Bio
#40 Edited by Judge_Dredd (146 posts) - - Show Bio

@battle_forum_junkie: For the record, I'd recommend the original and still ongoing Judge Dredd series over the IDW one. Granted unless you're interested in the anthology 2000AD in general which it's in weekly, trade paperbacks would be the way to go. But in case you are interested there, a lot of great JD stories are Dredd Case Files 2 (his first two mega epics in there), Death Lives (collection of great Judge Death stories), Case Files 14 (Has the Necropolis epic), America, The Pit, Day of Chaos (2 books), Tour of Duty (2 books), etc. Also Batman/Judge Dredd.

Invincible and Savage Dragon are must read I'd say, and the upcoming Dragon 193 is a key jumping on point, with his teenage son Malcolm Dragon taking over the book. Or you could just hop on now, knowing in a couple months it'll be written with new readers in mind. Also recommend the current Witchblade run which started in issue 151.

And to throw a couple more at you, Hack/Slash in 5 omnibus books, Conan, and the G.I. Joe books especially Cobra: The Last Laugh.

#41 Posted by i_like_swords (17619 posts) - - Show Bio

@battle_forum_junkie: Anything Valiant. You should try to have at least one Valiant title. Me personally.. I like to have all of them.

X-O Manowar if you like Sci-Fi ish stuff. Mostly action, though.

Shadowman if you like the supernatural.

Bloodshot if you like dark, slight humour and great action.

Quantum & Woody is flat out HILARIOUS and it's only just started, so give it a try.

Archer & Armstrong has a real solid storyline and some good humour. It actually includes a lot of the elements from the titles I've already listed, so this in general an easy series to love.

There's also Harbinger, which is said to be one of Valiants best titles.

#42 Edited by Battle_Forum_Junkie (8728 posts) - - Show Bio

@judge_dredd: I meant a jumping on point for the current series, but thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into those.

#43 Edited by Battle_Forum_Junkie (8728 posts) - - Show Bio

@i_like_swords: Thanks for all those suggestions. I did a quick Google search and they all sound pretty cool. (especially Quantum and Woody)

I was hoping for a 2.99 one, though. I try to stay within my $20 comics budget.

#44 Posted by i_like_swords (17619 posts) - - Show Bio

@battle_forum_junkie: Ah yeah, I forgot about that. Admittedly, I've bought pretty much most of them in TPB, so money hasn't been an issue. Hopefully one day when Valiant is high up enough on the food chain they can lower their prices. However, I'd still recommend trying to squeeze in a TPB here and there. You get them cheap on Amazon.

#45 Posted by AllStarSuperman (23008 posts) - - Show Bio

Eternal Warrior comes out on September 11.

#46 Edited by silent_bomber (2208 posts) - - Show Bio

@battle_forum_junkie said:
@mercy_ said:

Well, I've always liked street-level type titles, but I'll read almost anything if the writing's good and it's got some good action. I kind of want something gritty feeling but not too dark. kind of like TMNT.

Hope that makes sense.

@ccraft said:

I was actually wondering about that already.

When might be a good place to try it out?

@judge_dredd: I meant a jumping on point for the current series, but thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into those.

There are kinda' three "current" series' at the moment.

2000AD - an anthology comic that is where Dredd comes from originally, this has been going since 1977, its a weekly comic which has multiple stories in every issue, each with like 6 pages each, Dredd is always in pretty much every issue, other stories cycle in and out.

Judge Dredd Megazine - another anthology comic by the same company, except more focused on Judge Dredd (other stories usually have different characters, but are set in Dredd's world), this has been going since 1990, its written by pretty much the same people as the 2000AD stories.

IDW Judge Dredd - This is a new comic book from a different company with wholly different writers and artists.

---------------------------------------------------

IDW Dredd is very easy going and jokey, violence in it is a little cartoony, and it feels very much like very old 1970s style 2000AD Dredd, but updated (though its a little sillier and not as imaginative a lot of the time).

2000AD Dredd started off aimed at kids, but is now quite serious, and can be very dark at times, Day of Chaos for instance has scenes of giant Loaders pushing mountains of corpses into mass graves. It varies from story to story though, The Pit, and Mechanismo are pretty cool, easier going stories (the Pit is also a stand-alone that doesn't require any prior Dredd reading), Total War is great, and the Tour of Duty's are also very cool (though maybe a bit in depth for a new reader).

I actually posted some scans up in another thread here last week -

http://www.comicvine.com/forums/gen-discussion-1/how-is-judge-dredd-1485854/

I can scan a page or two of other books if you want.

Someone else also put some IDW scans in that thread so you can compare.

#47 Posted by CheeseSticks (2589 posts) - - Show Bio

Harbinger

#48 Posted by Jaymundo (177 posts) - - Show Bio

You should definitely check out The Wake (Vertigo), it's brilliant and only 3 issues in.

#49 Posted by SmashBrawler (5978 posts) - - Show Bio

Invincible, Chew, Bloodshot, X-O Manowar, Conan the Barbarian.

#50 Posted by CaptainHoopla (1193 posts) - - Show Bio

Lazarus is my suggestion as well. All the Valiant books are good and worth a chance. Image has some new and hopefully good books coming over the next few months such as Velvet, Pretty Deadly, and Black Science.