can DC do fun?

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

"Marvel comics are fun, DC are darker and DC just don't seem to do humour" said my non comic book reading, but superhero loving wife this morning. This may be a bit of a generalisation, but is she right? I mean apart from the GL film which everyone on here hates, when was the last DC comic book film that had some humour in it, like the Avengers?

Avatar image for martianmanhunterisbetterthancy
MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@bezza said:

"Marvel comics are fun, DC are darker and DC just don't seem to do humor" said my non comic book reading, but superhero loving wife this morning. This may be a bit of a generalization, but is she right? I mean apart from the GL film which everyone on here hates, when was the last DC comic book film that had some humor in it, like the Avengers?

Its funny because its been quite the opposite for many years. After GL, I don't see them doing funny anymore.

The_Terramachy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Ambush bug is DC's deadpool equivalent...of a sort, but he's been pushed into the background.

That being said DC has made a lot of *unintentionally* hilarious comics like Countdown, Superman At Earth's end, Battle for Bludhaven, Gay Cry for Justice, etc.

Tyrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The thing that bugs me within these arguments is that DC fans hate on Marvel Movies as if it is a bad thing to have child-viewers and Marvel fans hate on DC Movies as if its bad for their films to be mainly aimed at adults... The last DC Movie with fun in it would probably be Green Lantern or you could go all the way back to Batman and Robin :P

Alak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DC was a ton of fun comics that throw in elements of comedy mixed in with the action. Pre-52, I would say that Nightwing, Booster Gold, Blue Beetle (Reyes), Morrison's Batman & Robin, and Flash were books that I felt were entertaining due to their lighthearted nature.

Movie-wise, I just don't see DC going about the whole comedic-route since they have found so much success with Nolan's Batman. Marvel found success with Robert Downy Jr.'s form of impromptu humor, so they added that into the later Iron Man films and even the Avengers. Even Thor had a funny script even though it didn't really carry over to the Avengers (he only had one funny line in the whole movie).

Rahn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tyrus: People will denigrate a movie for it's target audiences if they want to feel better, completely disregarding the fact that movies are out to make money by entertaining first and foremost.

batpala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

No Caption Provided

I'm just saying. But no seriously if you want a 'fun' comic read Secret Six, I was laughing my head off when I was reading it. The ending is awful though, I really hate it. And I'm still upset that they canned the book. If they want fun, I would definitely like to see Secret Six again with Gail at the helm.

Avatar image for klaudius_von_sturmheiser
Klaudius_Von_Sturmheiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batpala: He should have said "Suck my diiiiiiick" somewhere in there. :P

trebean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bezza said:

"Marvel comics are fun, DC are darker and DC just don't seem to do humour" said my non comic book reading, but superhero loving wife this morning. This may be a bit of a generalisation, but is she right? I mean apart from the GL film which everyone on here hates, when was the last DC comic book film that had some humour in it, like the Avengers?

Batman and Robin, that's the answer.

Freedom_Alpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Freedom_Alpha

@trebean: Yes but that had

Loading Video...

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

DC films generally aren't trying to be generic blockbusters, largely because their characters are larger than life modern day icons/gods. Making a humourous film about Superman results in some crap like Superman III.

As for the comics, Marvel tries to be funny, but usually fails. For example, a Bendis comic wants so desperately to be amusing that it usually just comes off as incredibly annoying (not to say anything for the rest of it being complete crap)

Avatar image for thetimestreamer
theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

after the reboot, no. before yes.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

I don't care about the movies, but comic wise, hell yes DC is fun. I mean they have King Shark, Lobo, Ambush Bug and many other fun characters.

falcoso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By falcoso

Comics wise I would say they are fairly evenly matched overall but the big heroes that DC do film about are generally a lot darker, I think its because most DC heroes become heroes becasue of some trauma from there past (like Batman seeing his parents killed or Green Arrow being trapped on an island and realising where he was tortured) or they grow into there power/ have to learn about them over their life (like Superman), all the Marvel films (that I know of) generally involve a character being thrust into being a superhero or its in the X-men world so they lots of people are in the same posistion.

Green Lantern has a hero that is suddenly given super-powers so its much more light hearted - an audience can enjoy the comedy of a super hero ruining most of there house as the experiment with there powers, and GL is the first modern DC super hero film to do this

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@trebean said:

@bezza said:

Batman and Robin, that's the answer.

That's my answer too, that movie was a complete comedy and guess what it was about Batman, one of the most serious comic book characters ever.

Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

*facepalm*

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

So we're basing this on movies, and not comics?

trebean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

after the reboot, no. before yes.

I counter with Larfleeze, The Green Team, and Batman 66' (Does that count?)

blastaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the way Marvel and DC do their movies differently. It gives us fans a nice balance between funny and serious. Sometimes I wonder how the Marvel films might have turned out if given the Chris Nolan treatment. Incredible Hulk was as close as it got I thought, as far not having as much "camp" for a Marvel comic book movie and I really enjoyed Incredible Hulk.

Avatar image for thetimestreamer
theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20  Edited By theTimeStreamer

@trebean: larfleeze is trying to be funny, but isnt. batman '66 is digital only so doesnt count but i doubt it's fun. and the green team is very disconnected from the dc universe.

Avatar image for the_jackolantern
The_jackolantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Larfleeze is kinda funny and batman 66 is print aswell

trebean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@trebean: larfleeze is trying to be funny, but isnt. batman '66 is digital only so doesnt count but i doubt it's fun. and the green team is very disconnected from the dc universe.

Batman '66 has a print version, and it has all the campiness of the 60's you'd like, well that and some.

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm really hoping the new Harley Quinn book leans more to the "fun" and humorous side.