#1 Posted by lightsout (1829 posts) - - Show Bio

I like MM. He's a visually cool character and he's got cool powers. However, my primary exposure to him was in the JLA title (/the cartoon). That is, I know I like him in the context of a team, and I know that doesn't always translate over to enjoying a book centered on the character. Ex: I like WW in the league, how her character plays off of Superman & Batman, but I have no desire to read her featured title (pre or post new52). (I will acknowledge this is based on assumptions, (and I did enjoy her direct-to-DVD animated movie), but imagining her alone & the supporting cast she brings, I'm not chomping at the bit to read her).

I have a gut-feeling that I might have the same reaction with MM. That it might focus too much (IMO) on the moody/broody aspects of him (since in a team book, it's much more classic-hero-action oriented), and that his supporting cast/stories might not intrigue me as much.

Are any of these "concerns" about a transition from "MM in a team" to "MM alone" warranted?

#2 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

Martian Manhunter started out as a solo feature about a detective John Jones who was secretly an alien with tons of super powers which come in handy to resolve cases. Hopefully, the next Martian solo title will have an interesting human supporting cast.

#3 Posted by lightsout (1829 posts) - - Show Bio

.....so...what was the quality of it? lol. Perhaps I should have been more clear, I know the basics of MM's background but I also know it's possible to enjoy a character within the confines of a team book, but not be as interested in them in a solo feature (like my personal Wonder Woman example).

#4 Posted by Answerman (78 posts) - - Show Bio

The last Martian Manhunter mini-eries with his super funky head shape and full body outfit was so-so.

The Martian Manhunter series that spun out of the JLA series by John Ostrander and Tom Mandrake was outstanding, and well worth your time.

#5 Posted by lightsout (1829 posts) - - Show Bio

@Answerman said:

The last Martian Manhunter mini-eries with his super funky head shape and full body outfit was so-so.

The Martian Manhunter series that spun out of the JLA series by John Ostrander and Tom Mandrake was outstanding, and well worth your time.

Ah, okay, thanks. The latter one was the one I was wondering about. (Hadn't even heard of the former).

#6 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked the John Ostrander Martian Manhunter series but it did not last too long but it is the longest Martian Manhunter series so far. It added some mythology like the relation of the Martians and Saturnians like Jemm. Probably the next Jonn solo comic should be much better.

#7 Posted by lightsout (1829 posts) - - Show Bio

Yea, I realized that it wouldn't be odd to favor Jonn in a team-book because that's virtually all of his appearances (complimenting, rather than starring). I know I'm really looking forward to him in the new JLoA, especially that he's getting a backup book too.

#8 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

Jonn has survived mainly by being part of the Justice League similar to other less popular characters like Atom, Elongated Man, etc.

#9 Posted by lightsout (1829 posts) - - Show Bio

@colonyofcells said:

Jonn has survived mainly by being part of the Justice League similar to other less popular characters like Atom, Elongated Man, etc.

I wish DC had more team-books, because there's many "2nd tier" characters I'd like to see, but likely wouldn't want to read a full book on them (^those, Captain Atom, Firestorm, Plastic Man, etc etc) - but also don't want the 1 (2 now) Justice League's roster to be changed all the time.

#10 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

Dc always made Superman the most powerful of the superheroes so it was hard to justify other superheroes like Martian Manhunter. Dc's popular bronze age team Legion was unfortunately set in the 31st century instead of the 21st century like x-men. Some of Legion artist Dave Cockrum's designs ended up in the x-men relaunch instead that introduced Storm/Nightcrawler and the x-men franchise are doing much better than Legion. Dc also has overemphasized the importance of the justice league making it harder for other dc teams to shine.

#11 Posted by lightsout (1829 posts) - - Show Bio

Ooooo! Those are some interesting factoids! Thanks for the "enlightening".

There needs to be a middle ground between Marvels "million different X-men & Avengers titles" and DCs "Justice League for the classics, Teen Titans for the kids" (JLoA is a step in the right direction, and I don't mean to diss JLDark by not mentioning them, but it's just so far off the mainstream group of characters. And same for Legion - practically a different universe given the 10 century time diff. I don't have much hopes for the upcoming JSA in Earth 2 either. I just want to see more of the supporting people we got on JLU or in the dead years of the Justice League v3 & 4 titles).

#12 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought it was pretty good. If you've read some of Ostrander's other work like Suicide Squad and Spectre Vol 3 you know how much quality he has. Either way I recommend it.

#13 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

Hopefully, dc will also have a justice society on main earth so dc can have more teams on the main earth. Dc has some less popular groups like Freedom Fighters. Outsiders maybe is coming back soon. Jonn was in Stormwatch for a while. Wildcats reboot is probably coming soon. With Ravagers gone, maybe a Gen 13 reboot is coming.