• 52 results
#1 Edited by WillPayton (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman is teleported into a cage of pure Adamantium, a cube of 10' on each side. There is also a force field that keeps him from vibrating/phasing through the bars. Each bar of the cage is 1" in diameter and they are spaced every 1'.

Can Superman break out?

#2 Posted by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

No, but you know who can?

Batman

#3 Posted by Perethorn (3212 posts) - - Show Bio

With the Heat Vision he melts the cage and breaks free.

#4 Posted by JetiiMitra (8084 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think so. But he could fly around in it. That would be funny. Like if Thor was able to control Hulk's S.H.I.E.L.D. cage in the Avengers movie.

#5 Posted by MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg (2213 posts) - - Show Bio

NO.

#6 Edited by Crom-Cruach (8732 posts) - - Show Bio

no.

#7 Edited by Bierschneeman (3842 posts) - - Show Bio

lets paint the cage green... than we can be sure.... he can't.

*Thinks***can you buy kryptonite green at Sherman Williams? and if you can, is it real, like traditional Cobalt blue, or an imitation of chemicals....these are things we should check before we start this endeavour*

#8 Posted by Wolverine08 (38196 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think he could break it through sheer force, but his heat vision might do the trick.

#9 Edited by Fallschirmjager (14731 posts) - - Show Bio

That's a negative, ghost rider.

#10 Edited by PrinceAragorn1 (15919 posts) - - Show Bio

@mitran said:

I don't think so. But he could fly around in it. That would be funny. Like if Thor was able to control Hulk's S.H.I.E.L.D. cage in the Avengers movie.

#11 Posted by KingAres109 (1226 posts) - - Show Bio

Like some said could he use his HV real hot then try to bend them??

#12 Posted by youmessinwithme (1181 posts) - - Show Bio

Given some of the ridiculos stuff that Adamantium has withstood in the past probably not since only skfather level beings have been able to do serious damage to primary adamantium but it would realisticlly depend probaly on the thickness of the cage and Superman's proximety to the sun. If it were secondary adamantium, Adamantium alloy or vibranium(key ingredient in Adamantium, which is still extremely durable on it's own) Superman would bust out for sure.

#13 Posted by Blackdog2009 (1810 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope

#14 Posted by lifeofvibe (3407 posts) - - Show Bio

No but i think he would but im just going along with the crowd

#15 Posted by batkevin74 (10371 posts) - - Show Bio

@willpayton:

If it's in the Marvel Universe, no he can't! If it's in the DC universe, yes he can. In a blended universe, maybe :)

#16 Posted by WillPayton (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

@willpayton:

If it's in the Marvel Universe, no he can't! If it's in the DC universe, yes he can. In a blended universe, maybe :)

LOL... you have all your bases covered. =)

#17 Posted by Meticulous (543 posts) - - Show Bio

I think he could. I think there are a lot of wrong people here, but we are all entitled to think how we wish. Loyalty to certain brands and whatnot.

#18 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

Depends on the writer.

#19 Edited by MatteoPG (1877 posts) - - Show Bio

I think he could but only if he uses a lot of his tricks. Like heating it up to ridicolous levels, flash freezing it, again and again, all in the same fracture point, until he can get out. I see him accomplishing this in a long time. It would make for a cool narrative trick to keep him busy during minor fights :)

#20 Posted by The Stegman (22798 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe

#21 Posted by Squalleon (4060 posts) - - Show Bio

No.
I can think multiple ways for him to get out.

#22 Posted by Cezar_TheScribe (2614 posts) - - Show Bio

Why hasn't anyone brought up Superman's ice breath?

#23 Edited by Z3RO180 (6250 posts) - - Show Bio

I think so yes. Only with heat vision and arctic breath mind you.

#24 Posted by MatteoPG (1877 posts) - - Show Bio

Why hasn't anyone brought up Superman's ice breath?

I did :p

#25 Posted by MonsterStomp (15341 posts) - - Show Bio

Probably. But he'd need his heat vision to aid him.

#26 Posted by WaveMotionCannon (5052 posts) - - Show Bio

Primary adamantium no.

Secondary maybe.

#27 Posted by ccraft (5017 posts) - - Show Bio

With his strength I would say yes.

#28 Posted by RustyRoy (10717 posts) - - Show Bio

Depends on the writer.

#29 Posted by JwwProd (8497 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe.

#30 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (10918 posts) - - Show Bio

@z3ro180 said:

I think so yes. Only with heat vision and arctic breath mind you.

I was going to suggest this too.

#31 Edited by EnigmaLantern (707 posts) - - Show Bio

Next to a rainbow-coloured Sun, he can break out of anything.

#32 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (19892 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think so. His abilities aren't powerful enough to break through adamantium.

#33 Posted by RudeCherub (6 posts) - - Show Bio

yes, x100, seriously Superman is back to benchpressing the planet, he'd snap admantium like twigs. Sheesh.

Even before the relaunch he crushed Wonder Woman's bracelets which are adamant, magical and nigh indestructible.

#34 Posted by WillPayton (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

Even before the relaunch he crushed Wonder Woman's bracelets which are adamant, magical and nigh indestructible.

He did? Scans??

#35 Posted by Pr0metheus (4879 posts) - - Show Bio

@mitran said:

#36 Posted by batkevin74 (10371 posts) - - Show Bio

@rudecherub said:

He did? Scans??

I think that's from Superman Red Sun, which is an Elseworlds tale, but I could be wrong

#37 Posted by AllStarSuperman (19551 posts) - - Show Bio

@ccraft said:

With his strength I would say yes.

#38 Edited by Black_Arrow (2427 posts) - - Show Bio

he can vibrate through admantium

#39 Posted by NorrinBoltagonPrime21 (5402 posts) - - Show Bio

No

#40 Posted by danny_salgado (6 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman always carries a little Vibranium in his belt wherever he goes.

#41 Posted by SheenLantern (6156 posts) - - Show Bio

@black_arrow: "There is also a force field that keeps him from vibrating/phasing through the bars."

#42 Posted by evilvegeta74 (4521 posts) - - Show Bio

No,

#43 Edited by danny_salgado (6 posts) - - Show Bio

he may not be able to break the cage, but there is nothing on earth strong enough to anchor it down and resist his strength. essentially he could fly up, lifting the cage into orbit, fly towards the sun and then bust out of the cage. no way the adamantium would hold back superman at that capacity combined with the heat from the sun.

#44 Edited by Bruxae (12271 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes. He couldnt break it but probably bend it long enough to slip out.

#45 Posted by Yung ANcient One (4596 posts) - - Show Bio

I. Wishful thinking, he can't break out.

II. Of course not, he's Superman. Moving planets, throwing Islands of Kryptonite into space, being a God somehow, and all the rest of the never ending BS.

( +)

#46 Edited by The_Titan_Lord (4517 posts) - - Show Bio

Leaning towards "No" he can't. I haven't seen supes break anything near indestructible to indestructible things. But then again I could be wrong.

#47 Posted by ZombieMowlcher (676 posts) - - Show Bio

If it's Silverage Superman, he uses his anti-adamantium vision to get out.

#48 Posted by the creator (8559 posts) - - Show Bio

If we looked at the peak strength feat for new 52 Superman, he bench pressed the weight of the planet Earth for 5 days straight. So this illustrates that his strength is at least sufficient to support the weight of the Earth and may be in fact higher, considering he supported this weight for 5 days.

Now a consideration of what force Superman could apply to the bars should be modified by his positioning. He could apply more force by using a dead lift stance (grip a bar and lift, as he braces his feet against another). Typically (by looking at weights that have be lifted) a dead lift form can produce weights approx 40% higher than a bench press. A typical weights bar is 25 - 28mm diameter (so approx 1 - 1.1"), which matches well with the bars of the cage.

So based on this Superman might be able to lift 40% more than the weight of the Earth (that calculates out to 8,360,800,000,000,000,000,000 tonnes).

Now the question I then have is this - Can a 1" diameter bar of Adamantium hold up the weight of the planet Earth or even 1.4x the weight of the planet Earth?

If it can, it would make Adamantium 141,490,000,000,000,000,000 times stronger than high tensile steel.

Based on these factors, I can actually believe that Superman could break the 1" diameter Adamantium bar.

#49 Posted by Black_Arrow (2427 posts) - - Show Bio

@black_arrow: "There is also a force field that keeps him from vibrating/phasing through the bars."

Oh I didnt see that

Then no he cant escape. Unless the cage is in the sun or he exposed to solar radiation maybe then he can escape

#50 Posted by hart7668 (2294 posts) - - Show Bio

If the guy can "shatter small planets" with a single punch and bench press the Earth 5 days straight (pre-52 and New-52, I know, but I'm generalizing) I feel as though he can break out of a 10' cage made of Wolverine's claws.

Unless someone is willing to provide some scans showcasing pure adamantium's strength for me?