#1 Edited by waezi2 (6575 posts) - - Show Bio

Why are you reading comics? What makes you different from a male comicbook reader? What kind of comic do you read? What got you in to comics? Do you think that the women of comics doesn't get the attention they deserve or quite the opposite? Do you want to go on a date with me?

Just kidding with the last one.

#2 Posted by XImpossibruX (5152 posts) - - Show Bio

The last question was definiately a joke.

#3 Posted by waezi2 (6575 posts) - - Show Bio
#4 Edited by Catsnlynne (980 posts) - - Show Bio

I got into comic books after watching cartoons and super hero movies and wanting to know more about the super heroes and villains. I read books from my library and I read the Marvel Encyclopedia and the DC Encyclopedia. I went into my first ever comic book store on FCBD 2012. The first comic books I bought were Green Arrow and Savage Hawkman. Since then besides those two I have added (bought) Earth 2, The Flash, Deathstroke, Demon Knights, Stormwatch, Captain Atom, Grifter, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Hawkeye, Black Bat, and Captain Midnight. Right now my pull list consists of Earth 2, The Flash, Green Arrow, Black Bat, and Captain Midnight. I also read a lot of Marvel digital comic books too many to mention here. I only read comic books that have male heroes or villains in them. If a female(s) is the star of the book, forget it, I'm not interested.

#5 Posted by waezi2 (6575 posts) - - Show Bio
#6 Posted by MissJ (377 posts) - - Show Bio

@waezi2:

(1) I read comics because I love the medium and I think there are some great stories out there.

(2) Different chromosomes.

(3) Anything, everything. My pull list includes about 60% of DC's current titles, 80% of Marvel's, almost every single book Image is putting out right now (I'm kind of on an Image kick right now, especially pulps/noirs), a few other indies/smaller publishers, and a couple of all-ages titles (MLP, Adventure Time, Aw Yeah Comics). I'll give any book a try for 3 issues before dropping it.

(4) I found some Bronze Age Marvel books -- mostly Fantastic Four -- when I was a kid, and thought they were the coolest thing. I didn't realize until after college that I could buy monthly books, so I wasn't a "collector" when I was young, just watched animated series here and there, and read collected editions. I'll still pull Fantastic Four until it stops being published, and I'll always have a weird crush on Doctor Doom, just because it's the book that got me in.

(5) Do you mean characters or creators? In terms of characters, I like well-written ones; the gender thing doesn't matter nearly as much as the quality thing. If there's a really cool story and there aren't any women, I'll wonder about why the creators are making that decision, but I'd rather read an all-dude book with an amazing cast than one that tokenizes women or makes flat female characters. I do think it's important to have well-written lady characters, and I think that's a key to making comics more appealing to a wider range of women and girls, but "well-written" is really the important part there. In terms of creators, there are a lot of incredibly talented women who are making comics, but many of them don't have a lot of name recognition, and I think there's still a lot of progress to be made. There are some really great pieces here and here that I found were able to articulate things better than I can.

Staff
#7 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6037 posts) - - Show Bio

@waezi2 said:

Why are you reading comics?

I like comic books.

What makes you different from a male comicbook reader?

I'm female, and they are male.

What kind of comic do you read?

If you mean genre, It's mostly superhero stuff, but I'm open to other things.

What got you in to comics?

No idea. I just suddenly felt like seeing what they were like one day. Buying Batman comics is probably based on me liking The Animated Series, and some of the films.

Do you think that the women of comics doesn't get the attention they deserve or quite the opposite?

Considering female solo titles seem to often sell less than male titles, yes, I don't think they get the attention they deserve. I also think it would be good if creators would make an effort to try and make teams more equally male and female.

Do you want to go on a date with me?

Just kidding with the last one.

#8 Posted by JulieDC (859 posts) - - Show Bio

I got into comics partly because I enjoy superhero cartoons and partly because I had bought all the newspaper comic treasuries that I could find and needed another hobby. I tend to read comics that have Dick Grayson or Tim Drake in them, Batman and Superman, the Justice League, The Flash. I admit, I have been rather indifferent towards female comic characters which is ironic given that I liked Batgirl (strictly from the cartoons, movies, and tv show only) before I liked Robin and now I prefer Robin (well not all of them) over Batgirl. I don't know why that is.

As for the attention they need or deserve, part of me wants to blame the comic industry on their lack of popularizing the female characters in and outside of comics to encourage female readership but to be honest, its a cultural thing. Girls are taught to prefer Disney Princesses and Barbies (none of which I have a problem with as I loved both growing up) over superheroes.

#9 Edited by Kangaxx_54 (301 posts) - - Show Bio

@waezi2 said:

Because that's where I can read about Batman & related people. I like the medium, my imagination is not very good, so the drawings are a big help for me, but that said, I don't read comics just to read comics. I very much doubt I'll ever open a Marvel book for example (the characters just don't interest me).

Let's just say that we need more shirtless Grayson in order to make up for the difference. But no difference really.

OK, maybe that I care far more for the characters themselves than the various battles. I'd be quite happy to read an entire series with no villains at all. (not saying only a woman would want that; it's just that most people seems to want big fights, action etc.)

Batman in mostly trades so far, a few ongoings. Justice League, Superman, and I want to read some MM and Flash at some point where my backlog isn't quite so large.

I'm a nerd, always has been. When I were 4, all the other girls were dressed up as princesses and such at a traditional danish holiday: I were Batman. After I got a bit older, it was impossible for me to find the comics anywhere, so I didn't buy any comics until last year. My mother suggested we watch the Dark Knight which was on the TV in preparation for TDKR. I don't know what happened, but now, a year later, I have 48 trades...

Do you think that the women of comics doesn't get the attention they deserve or quite the opposite?

Define 'attention'. I think that overall there's too much male fanservice going on. I can see someone like Supergirl in the outfit that she has, because she zero need for armor, but overall I wish there were a bit more logic involved in their dresses. That includes all the males too, though. Part of the reason I like Batman. Logic über alles.

There are some very strong women in comics. Not enough, but I have to admit that aside from Oracle, I don't really care too much to read about them.

Do you want to go on a date with me? Just kidding with the last one.

Heh, you're a bit too young for me.

#10 Posted by krunkeela (188 posts) - - Show Bio

I wish I could get my gf into comics, that would be the shiess.

#11 Edited by waezi2 (6575 posts) - - Show Bio
#12 Posted by MissJ (377 posts) - - Show Bio

@krunkeela: It's not impossible. If she likes reading and/or pop culture in other forms, there's a comic to match. A lot of girls that I know who now pull crazy big lists started on the Buffy comics, or Doctor Who, or something else that they had enjoyed in another medium.

Staff
#13 Posted by waezi2 (6575 posts) - - Show Bio

@kangaxx_54:

waezi2 marked this as the best answer

@waezi2 said:

Because that's where I can read about Batman & related people. I like the medium, my imagination is not very good, so the drawings are a big help for me, but that said, I don't read comics just to read comics. I very much doubt I'll ever open a Marvel book for example (the characters just don't interest me).

If it is of any interest, I had the same problem with Marvel myself, but even tough I'm DC guy, till the day I die, I have to admit: When Marvel get it right, they get it right. I have some recommendations, if you are interested.

Let's just say that we need more shirtless Grayson in order to make up for the difference. But no difference really.

OK, maybe that I care far more for the characters themselves than the various battles. I'd be quite happy to read an entire series with no villains at all. (not saying only a woman would want that; it's just that most people seems to want big fights, action etc.)

Know the feeling.

Batman in mostly trades so far, a few ongoings. Justice League, Superman, and I want to read some MM and Flash at some point where my backlog isn't quite so large.

What is MM?

I'm a nerd, always has been. When I were 4, all the other girls were dressed up as princesses and such at a traditional danish holiday: I were Batman. After I got a bit older, it was impossible for me to find the comics anywhere, so I didn't buy any comics until last year. My mother suggested we watch the Dark Knight which was on the TV in preparation for TDKR. I don't know what happened, but now, a year later, I have 48 trades...

My "origin" is a little like yours. And NO, I didn't dress like princess to fastelavn:) you are talking about fastelavn, right?

Define 'attention'. I think that overall there's too much male fanservice going on. I can see someone like Supergirl in the outfit that she has, because she zero need for armor, but overall I wish there were a bit more logic involved in their dresses. That includes all the males too, though. Part of the reason I like Batman. Logic über alles.

There are some very strong women in comics. Not enough, but I have to admit that aside from Oracle, I don't really care too much to read about them.

That is kinda funny. Not HAHA funny, but funny as a weird aroma. You see, Oracle is one of the few female characters I don't care about. Not that I cant see why some would like her, its just, well... I think she is... kind of a bitch. She spy on her best friend, insults people who barely talks to her, steal money on the internet, and apparently the entire world is cool with that. What is that about?

Heh, you're a bit too young for me.

Young? I'm 22 years old!

#14 Posted by Hel (487 posts) - - Show Bio

Mostly because of the characters I`ve been following for decades. I guess I never stopped caring about them

In my case, nothing

Marvel is like my guilty pleasure, something I always return to. It might be years when I`m noth bothering with the company at all and then out of nowhere get that urge to find out what I`ve been missing. Thats when i start reading about my chilhood heroes again - Thor, Wolverine, Punisher, Spider-Man and recently (10 years ago) Deadpool

Other than that mostly Swedish comics - Kellerman, Christensen, Jan Berglin etc

Probably

My aunt subscribed to The Phantom or Fantomen. The comics in that magazine made me a lifelong fan of Will Eisners The Spirit, Giraud/Moebius Blueberry and Lyndes Rick O`Shay . That and Beetle Baily ;)

You`re too young ;)

#15 Posted by Kangaxx_54 (301 posts) - - Show Bio

@waezi2:

If it is of any interest, I had the same problem with Marvel myself, but even tough I'm DC guy, till the day I die, I have to admit: When Marvel get it right, they get it right. I have some recommendations, if you are interested.

Thanks for the offer, but as I said, my backlog is rather long. There's a lot of stuff I want to read before I start thinking about Marvel

What is MM?

Martian Manhunter. He's pretty awesome, especially in Justice League Unlimited (which is rather awesome in itself)

My "origin" is a little like yours. And NO, I didn't dress like princess to fastelavn:) you are talking about fastelavn, right?

Yep, fastelavn. All the girls around me were disney princesses or the like. I were Batman, a pirate, and stuff like that :)

That is kinda funny. Not HAHA funny, but funny as a weird aroma. You see, Oracle is one of the few female characters I don't care about. Not that I cant see why some would like her, its just, well... I think she is... kind of a bitch. She spy on her best friend, insults people who barely talks to her, steal money on the internet, and apparently the entire world is cool with that. What is that about?

Oh yes, that's a pretty good description of her. As a whole though, the Bat-family is a bunch of @ssholes. That doesn't make them any less awesome :). I'm myself a librarian, computer nerd and programmer, so Oracle is perhaps the closest fit to me (not that I'm quuite that bad).

Young? I'm 22 years old!

Enjoy it while it lasts :D

#16 Posted by waezi2 (6575 posts) - - Show Bio

@hel: I like the Phantom too. In Denmark, he is called Fantomet.

And are there a conspiracy to make me feel like a teenage-boy?:)

#17 Edited by Hel (487 posts) - - Show Bio

@hel: I like the Phantom too. In Denmark, he is called Fantomet.

Oh I know, I think I might have a Fantomet mag lying around somewhere. Bought it in København ages ago. He!s also called Dragos in Sweden

#18 Posted by waezi2 (6575 posts) - - Show Bio

@v_scarlotte_rose: Does "..." mean "I shall think about it?" :)

Okay, seriously, what kind of "other stuff" do you read?

#19 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6037 posts) - - Show Bio

@waezi2 said:

@v_scarlotte_rose: Does "..." mean "I shall think about it?" :)

Okay, seriously, what kind of "other stuff" do you read?

Nope. I just wasn't sure how to express a sarcastic/unimpressed look in writing.

I like House Of Mystery, and it's kind of fantasy/horror-ish. Desolation Jones and Deathwish are detective and private investigator stories. I'm not totally sure if some things count as superhero comics, like Justice League Dark.

#20 Posted by Joygirl (18033 posts) - - Show Bio

I like them.

Nothing.

Ones that are well-written and well-drawn.

My crush on Harley Quinn.

They could certainly use some more credit, but it's getting better.

Do you want to go on a date with me?

Pics.

#22 Posted by waezi2 (6575 posts) - - Show Bio

@v_scarlotte_rose:

Lady, you are mean:)

I like detective stories myself (Nero Wolfe is the man) but I have never read a detective comic. What kind of detective stories are those two you mentioned?

#23 Posted by waezi2 (6575 posts) - - Show Bio

Anyone else?

#24 Edited by LyraFay (2410 posts) - - Show Bio

Why do you like reading comics?

Because all of these characters have a rich histories and examples of modern myths. However I also like reading them because they bring you into a world, you know but don't (as all good books should.)

What makes you different from male comic book reader?

Nothing but when it comes to casting a comic book movie, I like to keep an open mind as opposed to some people.

Good story and good art. Or a new spin on an old character.

What got you into comics?

Nolan's Batman films/Batman and Catwoman's romance

Yeah not enough attention. It sad that Wonder Woman is more of an afterthought these days.

#25 Posted by waezi2 (6575 posts) - - Show Bio

@lyrafay said:

Yeah not enough attention. It sad that Wonder Woman is more of an afterthought these days.

Pardon?

#26 Posted by hart7668 (2294 posts) - - Show Bio
#27 Posted by waezi2 (6575 posts) - - Show Bio

@hart7668: I feel you, bro.

You are a bro, right?

#28 Posted by hart7668 (2294 posts) - - Show Bio

@waezi2 said:

@hart7668: I feel you, bro.

You are a bro, right?

*checks to make sure* Why yes. Yes I am.

#29 Posted by waezi2 (6575 posts) - - Show Bio

@hart7668: ... Wait a minute, if you are a guy, what are you doing here?

#30 Posted by hart7668 (2294 posts) - - Show Bio

@waezi2 said:

@hart7668: ... Wait a minute, if you are a guy, what are you doing here?

I was sharing the feels on not having a GF

#31 Posted by waezi2 (6575 posts) - - Show Bio

@lyrafay said:

What makes you different from male comic book reader?

Nothing but when it comes to casting a comic book movie, I like to keep an open mind as opposed to some people.

I know, right?

Good story and good art. Or a new spin on an old character.

Could you name an example? Just curious, thats all.

#32 Edited by LyraFay (2410 posts) - - Show Bio

@waezi2: Well a comic that I read with a good well actually great story was Paul Pope's Battling Boy, that was great and played around with superhero tropes! And a new spin on a character would be Neil Gaiman's Black Orchid, great spin on a minor character of DC comic universe.

#34 Edited by waezi2 (6575 posts) - - Show Bio

Anyone else?

#35 Edited by Oscars94 (2266 posts) - - Show Bio