BvS: Lex Luthor's backstory revealed!

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

Lex Luthor's backstory for Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice has been revealed!!

"Alexander Joseph Luthor Jr. is a 31-year-old wunderkind who transformed an aging petrochemical and heavy machinery dinosaur into a tech darling of the Fortune 500 in what some call a superhuman feat.

This jeans-wearing genius is equally at ease rappelling the climbing wall in his employee “inspiration station” and coding in “the crucible”: the cutting-edge R & D lab where the baby-faced billionaire verbally extemporizes computer code like Miles Davis improvising a trumpet solo.

As we patiently wait our turn at the complimentary LexCorp vegan food truck (this day’s fare: pesto-olive pizza with raw almond crust), the son of Alexander Luthor Sr. – Lex Luthor – explains the evolution of LexCorp.

“Dad named the company after himself ten years before I made my unexpected entrance into his life. But investors seemed to respond to the idea of an adoring father building a legacy for his precious son. He used that to his advantage. It was a good shtick and, whatever else he was, he was a good businessman,” the younger Luthor explains.

Referring to Alexander Luthor Sr. as a “good businessman” is not unlike calling Napoleon Bonaparte a “competent conqueror.” The East German émigré, who passed away unexpectedly in 2000, arrived on our shores with nothing, but managed to carve out an empire of oil and machinery. By all accounts, he accomplished this feat through sheer grit and ferocity. His enemies, of which there are many, would also probably add “viciousness.”

“Well, Dad was a complicated guy,” his down-to-Earth son notes as we pass a tasteful display of his world-famous collection of meteorite crystals. “He came from a country where the government, in the guise of protector, had absolute control over the citizens. That drove him. I get it. Heck, I’d hate to see that sort of thing happen over here.”

But the achievements of LexCorp’s founder pale in comparison to the astonishing accomplishments of the younger Luthor, who was the youngest ever to be named Fortune’s Businessperson of the Year and included on the magazine’s list of the World’s 50 Greatest Leaders.

Taking the reins of the family business after the untimely death of his indomitable father, the prodigal son boldly changed the direction of the firm from oil and heavy machinery to tech. LexCorp has quickly become the second largest emerging technology corporation in the world next to Wayne Enterprises.

Partly, the success of this young company comes from Luthor’s willingness to go where Wayne fears to tread. Wayne Enterprises has shied away from military contracts in the last decade.

“It’s a necessity,” Luthor insists. “We live in the most dangerous point of time in all of human history. Statistically speaking, it’s a near certainty that another world-changing crisis is hurtling toward us like a speeding bullet. We have to be ready to defend ourselves. No civilization was ever conquered by having a strong military.”

As for the accusations of a few fringe outliers who accuse him of being a “war monger,” Luthor just laughs them off. “I don’t know very many ‘war mongers’ who have a foosball table in the conference room.”

In the face of Luthor’s self-effacing, easy charm, it’s tempting to see him as “just one of the guys” and not for what he truly is: a giver. Only when pressed does he admit that LexCorp is in the top three charitable corporations in America, just after Kord Industries and Wayne Enterprises. “It’s not a competition,” laughs Luthor. “Besides, I can’t hold a candle to those guys in the debauched billionaire playboy department!”

But he downplays the corporate generosity side of LexCorp. “Handouts don’t change the world. The true gift of LexCorp is our products. We are on the cusp of unveiling a technology that will change the world forever.”

When pressed, the youthful mogul will only hint. “It’s about safety. This is a product that will protect you, and everyone, from threats you don’t even know about yet. I don’t want to scare anybody… much. But there are a lot of threats out there, and they’re here today.”

It’s just lucky for us that, whatever the dangers lurking for us today, we have on our side Lex Luthor, a man of tomorrow."

Link:

HERE

No Caption Provided

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

Last pic looks pretty good

those_eyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I like that

using fortune to say what kind of rep and backstory Luther has is a good method

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

@those_eyes: Looks better than this.

No Caption Provided

You know what a opinion is right?

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Evil Steve Jobs.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

I have some problems with it.

1- Lex being hip.

2- Lex coming from old money. Lex is written best when he's a self made man.

3- I do hope that Lex is a genius. Being a great businessman is nice, but I prefer when Lex is the smartest man in the room. His scientist are just there to do the heavy lifting.

Overall this wasn't as a bad as it could have been. If anything it's given me a bit more hope in his Lex, albeit not that much.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ostyo said:

Evil Steve Jobs.

Fixed

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SaintWildcard

@ready_4_madness said:

@saintwildcard: But the achievements of LexCorp’s founder pale in comparison to the astonishing accomplishments of the younger Luthor, who was the youngest ever to be named Fortune’s.

He's pretty smart.

Yeah, but that could just mean he paid people to build his vision. It could go either way and I hope it's mostly his ideas.

Plus, him having a fortune already isn't as impressive as coming from nothing. He should be kind of like Steve Jobs/Bill Gates mixed with Ozymandias origin.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 the_stegman  Moderator

@ready_4_madness: Plus, the article says he's good at computer coding, meaning at the very least, he's good with technology.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saintwildcard: true but let's see how it plays out.

True. I loved MoS and think they had enough of an awesome set up for a proper sequel. For the most part, their Batman is pretty dam accurate so I hope they don't make Bruce the genius he is in the comics but then gyp Lex. I want Lex to be as smart, if not smarter than Ozymandias.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#16 JediXMan  Moderator

That... whole sentence hurt me.

This jeans-wearing genius is equally at ease rappelling the climbing wall in his employee “inspiration station” and coding in “the crucible”: the cutting-edge R & D lab where the baby-faced billionaire verbally extemporizes computer code like Miles Davis improvising a trumpet solo.

... -_-

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JediXMan  Moderator

1- Lex being hip.

3- I do hope that Lex is a genius. Being a great businessman is nice, but I prefer when Lex is the smartest man in the room. His scientist are just there to do the heavy lifting.

THIS. All of this.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jedixman said:

That... whole sentence hurt me.

... -_-

You don't get it old man. Get's 3 hip 5 you!

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only way I would be excited about Lex in this film is if he was played by anyone but Crysenberg.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 JediXMan  Moderator

All geniuses are Mark Zuckerberg, now, apparently. Really annoying.

What I find hilarious is that, when Eisenberg was announced, everyone compared his role here to The Social Network... and now that appears to be a really appropriate comparison.

Anybody who wants to write Lex Luthor properly should read Luthor and Superman: Red Son. I absolutely love the characterization of Luthor in those comics. To me, Luthor is a man who wants to become the best of humanity (physically fit, intelligent, wealthy, successful - all without help), and wants to see humanity itself become the greatest it can be.

godzilla44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

sweet I like this

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jedixman said:
@saintwildcard said:

What I find hilarious is that, when Eisenberg was announced, everyone compared his role here to The Social Network... and now that appears to be a really appropriate comparison.

Yeah, a while back on a Fatman on Batman podcast, they speculated they went with this type of Lex because they want someone to be a visual representation of Lex's inferiority to Superman. I'd probably be fine with this version, but it's like having a steak from a 5 star restaurant and now having a burger from McDonalds. It also be a terrible idea if they just make him a computer wiz, they get razzed hard enough for him playing one, they don't need to make the similarities even more obvious.

Anybody who wants to write Lex Luthor properly should read Luthor and Superman: Red Son. I absolutely love the characterization of Luthor in those comics. To me, Luthor is a man who wants to become the best of humanity (physically fit, intelligent, wealthy, successful - all without help), and wants to see humanity itself become the greatest it can be.

Favorite Line from that book.
Favorite Line from that book.

Red Son might have be considered a Superman story, but I think it's probably the best Lex Luthor story. I have Luthor, but I haven't gotten around to reading it (the art bugs my eyes).

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 JediXMan  Moderator

@jedixman said:
@saintwildcard said:

Yeah, a while back on a Fatman on Batman podcast, they speculated they went with this type of Lex because they want someone to be a visual representation of Lex's inferiority to Superman. I'd probably be fine with this version, but it's like having a steak from a 5 star restaurant and now having a burger from McDonalds. It also be a terrible idea if they just make him a computer wiz, they get razzed hard enough for him playing one, they don't need to make the similarities even more obvious.

The point of Lex is to improve humanity. Superman flies in the face of that idea by constantly protecting humans (IE: making humans complacent) and judging humanity as if he was one of us. I like it when that is Lex's motivation.

Red Son might have be considered a Superman story, but I think it's probably the best Lex Luthor story. I have Luthor, but I haven't gotten around to reading it (the art bugs my eyes).

It's a fantastic Lex Luthor story; a better Luthor story than a Superman story, for me.

I can understand that. I like the art, but the somewhat realistic look might feel weird in a comic book. It's the same creative team as Joker, but I think it suited Joker more (Joker is more or less based in the Nolanverse).

Avatar image for emperorxhadesx420
EmperorxHadesx420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 the_stegman  Moderator
Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

EmperorxHadesx420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

never give up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By never give up
Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

EmperorxHadesx420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lone_wolf_and_cub: I feel so honored that you're actually looking at my posting history:)

I must have a fan!:)

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1- Lex being hip.

Overall this wasn't as a bad as it could have been. If anything it's given me a bit more hope in his Lex, albeit not that much.

This. I hope that he doesn't come of as a little brat, having inherited the money instead of being a self made man opens up that possibility.

Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

No Lionel Luthor?

Cmon the guy was the best thing Smallville had.

Ok all the Luthors were the best, but he was spectacular.