• 110 results
inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

As comic book fans, we all get stuck in our own "comfort zones," whether its reading our favorite Batman book or seeing whatever team Wolverine is on this week. We're all guilty of it, and it's hard to break the routine. We get super-comfortable at where we're at and sometimes, we miss out on cool series or issues. I say, this Wednesday, let's do something different.

No Caption Provided

Wednesday, May 15th, when you get to your LCS to pick up your books, add something else to your stack, a random new issue off the shelves. Something you've never read before. It doesn't matter if the cover attracts you, the title, or the creative team. Just pick up something and give it a shot. It doesn't matter what company you choose. It's time to take a step into the unknown.

While $3-$4 may be a stretch for some people, maybe wait a week to pick something else up? The whole point is to take a step out of what we're comfortable with and try something new for a week. You may even like what you pick up. If you want a little guidance, check out what the staff thinks is this week's essential comics, or you can do what I do and just grab something completely random.

All I ask is that you do one of two things. Share your story with us in the comment section. Tell us what you picked up and whether or not you liked it. If you're on Twitter, use the hashtag #RandomComicDay, and heck, even take a picture of it and send it to me @inferiorego and @comicvine or post it here.

I'll update this article with what I picked up and let you guys

UPDATE:

So, instead of picking up one random comic, I just grabbed whatever caught my eye, which ended up being six books.

No Caption Provided

The only book I'm familiar with out of this bunch is RED HOOD AND THE OUTLAWS, but I haven't read it in months... and SPAWN, but I haven't read that series since issue 5. I'll let you guys know how I like them. Remember to post your pics here!

Avatar image for the_mighty_monarch
The Mighty Monarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1450

User Lists: 4

I've actually been doing this regularly for months. Marvel keeps putting out good looking stff, and I've taken a lot of chances with characters either little interest in or no prior exposure; and I've been extremely pleasantly surprised to enjoy a lot of them.

Image also tends to grab me any time they start a new series.

kennybaese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

I do this fairly regularly with trades, but no so much single issues. It's a bigger up front investment, but I get a (more) complete story and I don't run the risk of adding another book to a pull that's already too full. I prefer trades in general anyway. They arrange better on a shelf.

sj_esposito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

I've done this a few times in the past couple of years and have discovered books that I've completely loved. I'll definitely pick up something new (to me) tomorrow.

sheldipez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Pixel_Kaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By Pixel_Kaiser

Yeah, I do this pretty regularly. This month I'm trying out Dial H from DC (poor timing...) and Amala's Blade from Dark Horse, and I'm pretty excited about both.

Diversifying your pull list is important and fun! Support diversity!

KryptonSabbath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I do this fairly regularly with trades, but no so much single issues. It's a bigger up front investment, but I get a (more) complete story and I don't run the risk of adding another book to a pull that's already too full. I prefer trades in general anyway. They arrange better on a shelf.

Exactly! I purchased Y: The Last Man book 1 hardcover edition and man it was great I'm so glad I picked it up. I'm now waiting for book 2.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

I've actually been considering doing something like this recently, for slightly different reasons. If I have some spare pennies I'll maybe get something.

Avatar image for gundamheavyarms
GundamHeavyarms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't really buy single issues anymore, but I do this when it comes to trades and video games. One series that I never thought I would like is Archie:The married life. It's really fun.

speedstermike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Don't buy from the big 2 but an independent comic

IgiMancer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope that my LCS still has that #1 of Deadpool, going to try it.

ptigrusmagus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spend a little more time in the MISC section!

ptigrusmagus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just noticed the sign in that counter... "unattended children will be sold as slaves." Lmao

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Totally gonna do this. May even use good ol' eenie meenie miney mo.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 inferiorego  Staff

Just noticed the sign in that counter... "unattended children will be sold as slaves." Lmao

That's my old workplace: Graham Crackers Comics in St Charles. My old boss put it up and would tell kids he would make them work in his salt mine.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know if it's a thing everywhere, but grab-bags could be a good thing for this idea.

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was thinking of doing this. Guess I will.

iaconpoint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Don't know how random they are since I picked it up for the creators but Black Beetle and Fatale have been awesome! Might have to check out this Chin Music I've been hearing about. I love noir!

doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Obscure big two books are good. Problem is they get cancelled.

Kervan21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm about a week and a half ahead of you. I get all DC titles, mostly Batman and Superman related. But on FCBD I grabbed Hickman's EAST OF WEST, of which I got # 2 last week. I've got Greg Rucka's LAZARUS on my pull list and also have purchased the first trade of FATALE, but I haven't read it yet. So I'm starting to branch out.

doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you guys already do this with trades, I strongly suggest anything Valiant. They're kind of hard to jump into mid-issue, but if you start from the beginning, they're great. Some of them might even start off slow or it might feel like there is too much going on, but all of them tie together nicely. They all quickly become super interesting and exciting. I'm at the edge of my seat reading any of the books. It is all the stuff I love about some of my favorite comics wrapped up into a universe. Amazing stuff. Strongly recommend.

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Challenge Accepted!
Challenge Accepted!

kpung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ptigrusmagus said:

That's my old workplace: Graham Crackers Comics in St Charles. My old boss put it up and would tell kids he would make them work in his salt mine.

LOL I knew the place looked familar.

Avatar image for g_money_christmas
G_Money_Christmas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have decided to give Captain Marvel a chance. Avengers: Enemy Within made me want to look into it. It's supposed to be pretty good. So, I've already had one planned.

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 31

#24  Edited By akbogert

I love this idea. I'm going to do it but in a different way -- I got a ton of random comics from a friend who was moving, a lot of stuff i'd never normally have picked up. So I'm going to be reading those and talking about them soon.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 inferiorego  Staff

@speedstermike said:

Obscure big two books are good. Problem is they get cancelled.

RIP: THRESHOLD, DEMON KNIGHTS, MEN OF WAR, G.I. COMBAT.

Avatar image for the_jackolantern
The_jackolantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I did this last week when my store had I,vampire 0-19 and I'm gonna do it this weekk with a random indie comic

KnightofSteel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I do this once in a while anyways, especially if it's a slow week for me. I sometimes want to try a Green Lantern book but it always seems they're in the middle of some crazy long story arc or crossover.

Avatar image for gothicshieldagent
gothicshieldagent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like my comfort zone,thank you,otherwise my life crashes down around me like a S.H.I.E..L.D. Helicarrier after a Dire Wraith invasion!

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By RustyRoy

I used to do this when I was a kid but back then my mom used to buy me comics. Now I have to buy my own comics,still I'll give it a try.

Avatar image for the_lunact_and_manic
The_Lunact_And_Manic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just bought Fearless Defenders last week, without even knowing what it was about.

Randomness FTW.

Fantasgasmic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31  Edited By Fantasgasmic

Fuck that noise. I'm getting Demon Knights.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

I beg people to try Valiant, I guarantee you will love atleast one of there books

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By laflux

I beg people to try Valiant, I guarantee you will love at least one of there books

This, with the small correction :P

GothamRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#34  Edited By GothamRed

I've actually done this for a while, I actually have to start cutting down now.

Mandrewgora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Mandrewgora

I haven't read a BPRD book in a few years, I was thinking about trying out the new one thats out this week.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 inferiorego  Staff

@laflux said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

I beg people to try Valiant, I guarantee you will love at least one of there books

This, with the small correction :P

I wore my Valiant Comics t-shirt to work today. That's how much I love them.

Arkhamc1tizen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 33

Funny I decided to pick up a few issues of a series I've heard things about.

dreamfall31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#38  Edited By dreamfall31

I did the same last week when I picked up Hulk. I know it's a top seller from the big 2, but I never really was interested in Hulk or cared for the character, but Waid is brilliant on Daredevil so I figured I'd try it out! Doing the same with Journey Into Mystery this week! My store only orders one of each title from most non big 2. That is besides the pull list orders. Whenever I go there's usually like 5 or 6 non big 2 titles that only have one issue each.

Delphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

User Lists: 18

I've wanted to pick up a dynamite or Aspen book for quite some time, too bad neither company is very reserved when it comes to their prices. Not to mention my LCS doesn't really believe in marking down prices either.

ChiSoxRox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ChiSoxRox

The series I love, Batwoman, has a new issue coming out Wednesday. I'm thinking of grabbing the first trade of Demon Knights that day too; I read the first issue and liked it (although now, I can consider it a long miniseries).

detective38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Shadow by Dynamite kicks ass and if your into old charlton characters not currently held by DC then you should give Peter Cannon Thunderbolt a try. Both two of my favorite books

nappystr8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

This is a cool idea for people who are very set into their ways with their comic buying habits. Personally I feel like I'm already pretty good about trying new things and I'm looking to downsize right now, not add more.

Cavemold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 87

Definelty should try harbinger or bloodshot:)

xtremekidx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I do it when a comic gets good reviews but sadly don't stick with the changes

RoTheKid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@inferiorego I LOVE this article! Such a great idea! With the recently announced cancellations of DC books, this couldn't have come at a better time! Thank you for writing this!

vPuik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By vPuik

I'm ready reading a book from Marvel, DC, IDW, Image and Dynamite.

Maybe I should pick up something from Valiant or Dark Horse or maybe even BOOM!. What's a good one that has a good jumping on point not too far back?

FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#47  Edited By FoxxFireArt
CROSS MANAGE: This is my new series.
CROSS MANAGE: This is my new series.

I've already started reading two brand new series as part of my digital WEEKLY SHONEN JUMP subscription. One is CROSS MANAGE, a story about a girl's lacrosse team. I wrote a whole blog about it. (First Date: Cross Manage). It's a great read, and I look forward to the new chapters each week.

The second is called ONE-PUNCH MAN. it's about a guy who's a hero for fun, but after his training he's become so strong that he defeats every monster with a single punch. Now, he no longer gets any thrill from fighting. It's a comedy satire series about power fantasies. It could even apply to things like Superman and other comics.

I also read MARIO from Masashi Kishimoto, the creator of NARUTO, this week. It's a more mature series than he's normally done. It was a one-shot chapter he did about a killer for hire in New York.

Catsnlynne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only ones I have to pick up this week is Deathstroke and Demon Knights. I have been think of trying Black Bat or Captain Midnight.

2chimcha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

This

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 inferiorego  Staff

@rothekid said:

@inferiorego I LOVE this article! Such a great idea! With the recently announced cancellations of DC books, this couldn't have come at a better time! Thank you for writing this!

Thanks a lot! The DC cancellations prompted this for me a bit, since two of the books getting cancelled are books I love that are so good, but for some reason, people weren't picking them up.

Hopefully, this catches on and we can do it every few months.