Bumping : When To Do It And When To Not (NEW USERS MUST READ!!!)

• 115 results
Avatar image for yourneighborhoodcomicgeek
YourNeighborhoodComicGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 15

Approved by Mercy_

The beloved bump. Bumps are used as a term or method of reviving a thread that is either forgotten, old and left unnoticed, or unpopular, etc. However, when is it appropriate to bump a thread, and when is it not?

Bumping a Thread

When you bump a thread, be aware of what you are doing. Is it worth bumping? Why are you bumping it? Is it a spite/mismatch thread? Think before you bump. If you are bumping a thread because it is a well-thought out thread that was underappreciated and forgotten then go ahead. Other exceptions of good threads that can be bumped are older threads that are neither unfair but lack information(moderators seem to tune up on those threads). However, there are numerous types of threads that should not be bumped by almost any means. Threads like spite/mismatch threads need not be bumped, as well as troll threads, stomp threads, spam thread, and those threads that don't make any sense. What you should do is either :

• Flag it and leave the thread without leaving an extra post that will exposure the thread to unneeded attention. The moderators will deal with the thread shortly.
  • PM/Private Message a moderator of that forum for the quickest reply to lock/delete the thread. (Ex. Battle Forum : )
  • If all else fails then leave a comment to a moderator saying for them to lock/delete it, so that a moderator shall see the thread and lock/delete it.

Keep in mind that you may bump a thread no matter how old it is, just make sure it is appropriate to bump that thread.

Guide to Different Types of Threads

Spite/Mismatch Threads

These occur mainly in the Battle forums, although they can sometimes be misplaced in the other forums or be a spite/mismatch of two-non comic characters in the Off-Topic forums. Such examples of these threads are :

Joker vs. Thor : http://www.comicvine.com/forums/battles/7/joker-vs-thor/684309/#17

SSJ4 Goku vs. Batman :http://www.comicvine.com/forums/battles/7/ssj4-goku-vs-batman/406444/#46

Deathstroke vs. Galactus :http://www.comicvine.com/forums/battles/7/deathstroke-vs-galactus/684315/#26

As you can see, all of them are locked, thanks to our Comic Vine community. So, do your part and please flag or PM a mod if you see a spite/mismatch thread.

Troll Threads

These threads are usually made by trolls that have to do nothing with the Forum they are posted in and usually are extremely offensive as well as rude. They may or may not contain offensive language, racial slurs, attacks to certain people, and bias opinions continued with an aggressive attitude. If you see a thread with any of these please flag it, mod a PM, and do not comment on it.

People I Hate to a Furious Degree in Off-Topic Forums :http://www.comicvine.com/forums/off-topic/5/people-i-dislike-to-a-furious-degree/684156/#5

For further info about Troll threads : http://www.comicvine.com/forums/battles/7/how-to-deal-with-trolls-all-users-must-read/674001/#1

Misplaced Threads

Misplaced threads are usually just good(or not) threads that are accidentally submitted into the wrong forum. Simply flag/PM a mod and do not bump it. Posting a comment that acknowledges the poster that "This should be in the ______ forums" would be much appreciated. An example of a Misplaced Thread is below.

Batman vs Doomsday in Off-Topic Forums : http://www.comicvine.com/forums/off-topic/5/batman-vs-doomsday/684274/#1

Good but Unnoticed Threads

These threads are usually well-thought out threads, with plenty of info in the OP, good pictures, and a unique scenario, etc. but have gone unnoticed with not enough posts it had deserved. No matter how old the thread, you can bump it. These threads are always okay to resurface to the Battle boards. Such examples of these threads are :

Justice League Tournament :http://www.comicvine.com/forums/battles/7/justice-league-tournament/683701/

Misleading Title Threads

These threads are usually made to either play a joke on Viners or, in an unfortunate situation, completely random and to troll Viners and/or moderators. Some may have a title on one subject, but have details of something completely random or their view on something that barely has anything to do with the subject. However, keep in mind that some misleading titled threads are there simply to get more posts, and some may be by accident. Examples are posted below :

Snoop Dogg Is Dead (Purposely) :http://www.comicvine.com/forums/off-topic/5/snoop-dogg-is-dead/684300/#28

After 2012 (Accidently) :http://www.comicvine.com/forums/off-topic/5/after-2012-trailer/682101/

Spam Threads

These threads are usually posted by a newcomer Viner trying to spread a message of a website and/or product. These are a nuisance and should be flagged for spam or private message a mod to lock/delete it. However, these are rarer and do not show up often, hence no example can be given.

Duplicate Threads

These occur when either an Internet glitch or server glitch as occured, causing a thread to be made numerous times. Simply flag the duplicate threads but leave at least one to stay.

MenaceForever2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By MenaceForever2

Thanks you added my JL Tourney.

Avatar image for deactivated-607949e25bdb6
deactivated-607949e25bdb6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I vote that this is pinned to the front page, so that everyone must read it.

KMART4455

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By KMART4455

This needs to be pinned.

MenaceForever2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MenaceForever2

Damn i should have put more though into mine. YNCG be expecting a pm.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Pwok21 said:

I vote that this is pinned to the front page, so that everyone must read it.

@KMART4455 said:

This needs to be pinned.

Mercy_ might pin it later but they might do one big mega Battle Forums Rule post and this will be added to it. She said to just post this for now.

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By sesquipedalophobe

Bump.

KMART4455

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By KMART4455

I was in that People I hate thread that guy was a freak!!!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@KMART4455 said:

Yeah I know. Why did he attack you anyways?

KMART4455

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By KMART4455

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek: I told him Superman Vs Galactus is a stomp in favor of Galactus... And he went ballistic..

Superman I guess was his favorite hero.. Idk..

Jayfournines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jayfournines

Excellent thread

MenaceForever2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MenaceForever2

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek said:

@KMART4455 said:

Yeah I know. Why did he attack you anyways?

Earlier that day there was some bull sh!t.

Chaos Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Chaos Prime

excellent post :)

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By Mercy_

Switching and pinning this to Gen. Discussion because it's a great thread that applies to the full site.

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek: Like I said, amazing job on this :)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@KMART4455 said:

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek: I told him Superman Vs Galactus is a stomp in favor of Galactus... And he went ballistic..

Superman I guess was his favorite hero.. Idk..

lol fanboy much.

@Jayfournines said:

Excellent thread

@Chaos Prime said:

excellent post :)

Thanks!

This is going to be moved to Gen.Discussion though. (and pinned there)

RedQueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By RedQueen

Oh I remember that Deathstroke vs Galactus thread :p

Anyway, great post.

oh, and bump.

jobiwankenobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jobiwankenobi

Wow, I remember most of these. Great post.

Funrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By Funrush

My personal moral rule is that you should only bump a thread more than three weeks old if you have something really important to mention. If you just bump a thread to say "oh, this is cool", it's not worth the bump.

8bitGangsta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By 8bitGangsta

Cool. Now I know what bumping means

Queso6p4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 21

#20  Edited By Queso6p4

Nice breakdown. Very good examples too.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#21  Edited By owie  Moderator

I'd add one little bit of etiquette, which is that (at least in my opinion), you don't reply directly to people who made a months-old comment in a bumped thread. In other words, let's say somebody made a comment in a battle two and a half years ago. Then the thread is bumped. Feel free to make new comments, but don't bother to quote or reply directly to that two and a half year old comment. That person may well no longer be on the Vine, and in any case probably has no memory of making the original comment! Just say what you have to say and leave the old comments alone. At least that's what I think.

Avatar image for mrdecepticonleader
mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Nice thread,well worth the pin.

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#23  Edited By batkevin74
No Caption Provided
7DEADPOOL7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By 7DEADPOOL7

Thanks for this

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@7DEADPOOL7 said:

Thanks for this

No problem. I posted this to help all viners :)

8bitGangsta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By 8bitGangsta

When will you make the next one? rofl

jeanroygrant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By jeanroygrant

@Queso6p4 said:

Nice breakdown. Very good examples too.

acer51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By acer51

Another sticky? isn't this already covered in the general rules anyway?

gecko200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By gecko200

I am very new to the vine but, I must say your site is very entertaining , the people are the most helpful of any art site , I've joined and your set-up is very user friendly ,keep up the good work.

Oscuro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oscuro: Bumping isn't an official function of the website. To bump a thread is to merely post in it (or someone else posts in it) to make it go onto the front page of a Forum Board again.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b2e798651249
deactivated-5b2e798651249

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I believe that I'm well known for bumping threads.

GROVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By GROVER

*bump* lol waite it sticky -_-;;

beatboks1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think a pertinent point to add. Forum etiquette would demand that aside from what's mentioned bump a thread only if it's one you intended to make because you wanted an answer to or to discuss it IF once you've searched and found it your questions haven't been answered.

As such state why so that the discussion is directed on the new path

Another reason my be that recent changes to the characterizations or Lore of the players of the thread have cause a shift in the potential outcome. Again say why you think things may have changed.

deathstroke19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

deathstroke19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By deathstroke19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

deathstroke19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jwwprod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By jwwprod
No Caption Provided

I just wanted to post this image I made for LOLs and I because I just finished it ^_^

But anyways good info ;)

JeanRalphio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By JeanRalphio

Bump

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bumping because this needs to be pinned. I'm getting tired of seeing 3 or even 5 year old threads being bumped.

jwwprod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hay @lol mind checking out this thread?

trickzzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bump

PiofNEPTUNE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

:) Alright Then, I Ain't Gonna BUMP No More With No Big Fat...CAPS. (:

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why is it such a sin to give my 2 cent meaningless opinion on fictional things on a 5 year old post?

I don't understand you humans.

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cool

Avatar image for themetalgearzero
TheMetalGearZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Approved by Mercy_

The beloved bump. Bumps are used as a term or method of reviving a thread that is either forgotten, old and left unnoticed, or unpopular, etc. However, when is it appropriate to bump a thread, and when is it not?

Bumping a Thread

When you bump a thread, be aware of what you are doing. Is it worth bumping? Why are you bumping it? Is it a spite/mismatch thread? Think before you bump. If you are bumping a thread because it is a well-thought out thread that was underappreciated and forgotten then go ahead. Other exceptions of good threads that can be bumped are older threads that are neither unfair but lack information(moderators seem to tune up on those threads). However, there are numerous types of threads that should not be bumped by almost any means. Threads like spite/mismatch threads need not be bumped, as well as troll threads, stomp threads, spam thread, and those threads that don't make any sense. What you should do is either :

• Flag it and leave the thread without leaving an extra post that will exposure the thread to unneeded attention. The moderators will deal with the thread shortly.
  • PM/Private Message a moderator of that forum for the quickest reply to lock/delete the thread. (Ex. Battle Forum : @k4tzm4n )
  • If all else fails then leave a comment to a moderator saying for them to lock/delete it, so that a moderator shall see the thread and lock/delete it.

Keep in mind that you may bump a thread no matter how old it is, just make sure it is appropriate to bump that thread.

Guide to Different Types of Threads

Spite/Mismatch Threads

These occur mainly in the Battle forums, although they can sometimes be misplaced in the other forums or be a spite/mismatch of two-non comic characters in the Off-Topic forums. Such examples of these threads are :

Joker vs. Thor : http://www.comicvine.com/forums/battles/7/joker-vs-thor/684309/#17

SSJ4 Goku vs. Batman :http://www.comicvine.com/forums/battles/7/ssj4-goku-vs-batman/406444/#46

Deathstroke vs. Galactus :http://www.comicvine.com/forums/battles/7/deathstroke-vs-galactus/684315/#26

As you can see, all of them are locked, thanks to our Comic Vine community. So, do your part and please flag or PM a mod if you see a spite/mismatch thread.

Troll Threads

These threads are usually made by trolls that have to do nothing with the Forum they are posted in and usually are extremely offensive as well as rude. They may or may not contain offensive language, racial slurs, attacks to certain people, and bias opinions continued with an aggressive attitude. If you see a thread with any of these please flag it, mod a PM, and do not comment on it.

People I Hate to a Furious Degree in Off-Topic Forums :http://www.comicvine.com/forums/off-topic/5/people-i-dislike-to-a-furious-degree/684156/#5

For further info about Troll threads : http://www.comicvine.com/forums/battles/7/how-to-deal-with-trolls-all-users-must-read/674001/#1

Misplaced Threads

Misplaced threads are usually just good(or not) threads that are accidentally submitted into the wrong forum. Simply flag/PM a mod and do not bump it. Posting a comment that acknowledges the poster that "This should be in the ______ forums" would be much appreciated. An example of a Misplaced Thread is below.

Batman vs Doomsday in Off-Topic Forums : http://www.comicvine.com/forums/off-topic/5/batman-vs-doomsday/684274/#1

Good but Unnoticed Threads

These threads are usually well-thought out threads, with plenty of info in the OP, good pictures, and a unique scenario, etc. but have gone unnoticed with not enough posts it had deserved. No matter how old the thread, you can bump it. These threads are always okay to resurface to the Battle boards. Such examples of these threads are :

Justice League Tournament :http://www.comicvine.com/forums/battles/7/justice-league-tournament/683701/

Misleading Title Threads

These threads are usually made to either play a joke on Viners or, in an unfortunate situation, completely random and to troll Viners and/or moderators. Some may have a title on one subject, but have details of something completely random or their view on something that barely has anything to do with the subject. However, keep in mind that some misleading titled threads are there simply to get more posts, and some may be by accident. Examples are posted below :

Snoop Dogg Is Dead (Purposely) :http://www.comicvine.com/forums/off-topic/5/snoop-dogg-is-dead/684300/#28

After 2012 (Accidently) :http://www.comicvine.com/forums/off-topic/5/after-2012-trailer/682101/

Spam Threads

These threads are usually posted by a newcomer Viner trying to spread a message of a website and/or product. These are a nuisance and should be flagged for spam or private message a mod to lock/delete it. However, these are rarer and do not show up often, hence no example can be given.

Duplicate Threads

These occur when either an Internet glitch or server glitch as occured, causing a thread to be made numerous times. Simply flag the duplicate threads but leave at least one to stay.

Awesome! This is all the info I needed!

deathstroke52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

B to the UMP