No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_
No Caption Provided
If you still haven't noticed, the age of comics to television crossovers is upon us- and while I'm sure many of you guys would agree with me in that it's been going on for, well, forever; I think we see more comic to television crossovers now than we ever have. It isn't just the television shows that start out as comic books and become syndicated, either. Heroes, for example, first aired on NBC and lasted for four seasons. While it didn't start out as a comic book,  concepts that popularized the show were derived from comics, and the TV series was inspired by a lot of what we read in funny books. Even if it didn't begin as a comic, it was eventually licensed to Wildstorm and inspired a graphic novel. While Heroes was canceled this past February, 2010, it doesn't mean that the genre of superheroes on our TV's has become obsolete. Since Heroes was canceled, a new superhero themed television series has sprung onto the scene on a different major TV network- No Ordinary Family on ABC. It isn't just the major television networks cashing in on comic book inspired television shows, though, either.

The only way you haven't heard about The Walking Dead on AMC is if you've been living under a rock for the last couple of weeks. The Walking Dead, which received a record breaking number of viewers (5.3 million on the night of it's premiere, to be exact) is only on it's second episode and has already been confirmed for a second season. I sum that up in two words: great success. But, if you've read The Walking Dead, or happened to have been one of the 5.3 million viewers on Halloween to catch the show, then you probably already know that The Walking Dead, while a fantastic graphic novel, has absolutely nothing to do with the superhero genre.

Are we getting to the point that everything we see on television is going to be an adaptation of a comic book or a graphic novel? Is the amount of comic content on television too much?
 == TEASER ==
Recently, Milo Ventimiglia's parters at Divide Pictures Russ Cundiff, Matt Hawkins and Marc Silvestri revealed they would be executive producing REST, a comic book co-created by Ventimiglia which will now be developed by NBC. Executive Producer on the project and Top Cow President Matt Hawkins seems pretty excited about REST, and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

"Rest is just one of the many different projects that Top Cow is developing with Russ and Milo at Divide," says moi.  "This deal is great and I'm excited to see NBC really getting behind it.  More to come!"

No Caption Provided
In a recent interview with the Wall Street Journal, the head of Disney and Mickey's boss Bob Iger, announced that not only has Disney obtained the distribution rights to Iron Man 3 as well as The Avengers, but that Disney is also developing three live-action series for ABC and ABC-Family. And yeah, you can bet that they'll have something to do with Marvel Comics.

The fact of the matter is, between movies and television adaptations of comic books, is the market being over-saturated with superheroes and graphic novel adaptations? While it might be a great thing for comic fans to see, does that mean everyone wants to see it?
Avatar image for crimsonspider89
crimsonspider89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By crimsonspider89

Awesome but just as long as good acting and stories will be fine.

countvontrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By countvontrey

I would like to think that this is a reflection of general society realizing that the comic medium isn't all juvenile; men in tights fighting evil, monocle wearing villains. That it's just another medium like radio, television, or film. Sure it's dominated by the superhero genre, but that doesn't mean the stories are without depth or value.  

What I do believe is that producers are trying to cash in on whatever hype may be around, and are delving into the comic medium for what they consider "new" material. I am enjoying it while it lasts, but know the popularity will die down sooner or later.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By danhimself

I think that more comic books tv shows would be great as long as they have a big budget...I like Smallville but I cringe every time they employ "special" effects....the flying on the show looks horrible and don't even get me started on the Justice Society....the problem is that their eyes are bigger than their stomachs...meaning they're trying to do things that they just can't do effectively yet...so one of two things needs to happen..either networks need to give these shows a bigger budget or special effects need to be cheaper...or they need to find a character or book that doesn't require a huge special effect budget....wait that's three things....oh well

The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By The_Martian

Live action Marvel series on ABC?

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By tensor

these tv shows can sometime spoil a upcoming comic movie

Lovenuggets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Lovenuggets

wait..is this a serious article? lol ..Only LIVE comic series shows I see are The Walking Dead and Smallvile...how is that TOO many? I say bring in More...but Dont spoil it to much...I'm loling at this. 

also I would Like to point out that Hero's is a fail show..I don't even consider it to be a Comic book or TV series just some wanna be x-men fail crap....sorry just happy it got canned :D

Kid_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Kid_Zombie

Dont forget Human target! Ha ha

I'm a big TV watcher, and if the less the stellar shows like heroes, no ordinary family, smallville and human target has paved way for shows like The walking Dead? then I'm all for it.  especially if it also paves way for a Y the last Man series! I'm excited to see what marvel brings to the table also. Could go either way.
 Simpsons, boardwalk empire, Dexter, east bound and down, board to death and now walking dead? I love sundays!

roadbuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By roadbuster

If not comics it'll be something else... foreign TV (The Office), movies (Parenthood), novels (Bones), past TV (Hawaii Five-O), reality (Jersey Shore), competition (Biggest Loser), genre (Iron Chef), franchises (SG-U), sports (Ultimate Fighter), etc. 

Mining media is inevitable and recognizing comics as just another medium with commercially valid concepts should mean more opportunity for everyone.  Saturation is a risk, sure, but better to cut back on productions once started than never have a chance at production at all.

Lovenuggets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Lovenuggets
@Kid_Zombie:  eh Human Target...something about it I can't get into...meh.
DanialCarroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By DanialCarroll
I agree with @danhimself, if they use the street-level characters and their series', and keep the FX to a minimum, then I don't see a problem with comics on TV.  

The thing is, Hollywood and TV are scraping for any ideas they can, and so they often turn to popular books and comics to grab "readymade" stories (not to mentioned the movie adaptations of old TV shows) so that they don't need to start from scratch.
DanialCarroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By DanialCarroll
@Mainline said:
" If not comics it'll be something else... foreign TV (The Office), movies (Parenthood), novels (Bones), past TV (Hawaii Five-O), reality (Jersey Shore), competition (Biggest Loser), genre (Iron Chef), franchises (SG-U), sports (Ultimate Fighter), etc.  Mining media is inevitable and recognizing comics as just another medium with commercially valid concepts should mean more opportunity for everyone.  Saturation is a risk, sure, but better to cut back on productions once started than never have a chance at production at all. "
Dammit, you beat me to it... and said it much better :) 

Personally, I'd prefer media-mining than yet more reality TV... bleh
exhyni9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By exhyni9

If More Shows Like This Go On Tv Wouldn't That Just Make People More Interested In Comics
Anyways I Liked Heroes And So Did Alot Of People But They Tried To Over Extend The Show And With Stupid Decisions And I Just Stopped Watching It
As Long As Writers Or Studios Don't Get To Greedy When Can Get Short Great Shows And Introduce People To The World Of Comics

Romiress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Romiress

As long as there a variety of shows, rather then simple caped crusaders, it's fine. The walking dead and something like Avengers: Earth's mightiest hero's only have the source medium in common - nothing else.

604comics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 102

#14  Edited By 604comics

There's hardly any Comics on TV. Only Smallville, The Walking Dead, and Human Target come to mind. It's actually movies where the comics are proliferation. I've never read TWD but I watched the first episode last week and I found it to be very well done. I can see why Kirkman didn't want to license it as a movie because it does seem better as a serial on cable (so 13 episode seasons, as opposed to network 22-episode seasons).

rlmay3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By rlmay3

I saw Cloak and Dagger might be on ABC Family. I'm less worried about them toning it down to be more family-friendly and more worried they're going to add some very ridiculous amounts of angsty drama. 

Apart from networks diluting or ignoring the source material however, I think comics are great fit for TV. Both work in episodice formats with relatively short compartmentalized segments that work to create a larger overarching story. I'd rather watch 13 episodes to get a full story than a 2 hour movie that trims everything down so it can fit theatrical time constraints. Plus IMO, TV budgets tend to put more focus on story and character in some cases than movies that can rely solely on spectacle and star power. But since the question is too many, well the answer is yes there is such a thing as TOO much of a good thing. But considering how many comic book shows are actually GOOD, we're not quite to "too much of" yet.

Dark Walker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16  Edited By Dark Walker

TV has been doing this for years, we had Batman with Adam West, Wonder Woman with Linda Carter, Incredible Hulk with Bill Bixby back in the day, then Lois and Clark, Smallville, Birds of Prey, and Human Target.  While some were campy and some have been more grounded its nothing new. 

mickoreo_LZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By mickoreo_LZ

I think that TV companies and movie developers are looking to comics for ideas because comics are still new and interesting. Comics contain many more original ideas and storylines than most TV shows or movies, and it was only a matter of time before people started using them as a template for TV series and movies

ateygheyev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ateygheyev

I'll be happy once there's a comic cable station: CTV.  ALL COMICS.  ALL THE TIME.

DanialCarroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By DanialCarroll
@ateygheyev said:
" I'll be happy once there's a comic cable station: CTV.  ALL COMICS.  ALL THE TIME. "
Totally! That's an awesome idea :) lol
Avatar image for comicbikerscott
comicbikerscott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By comicbikerscott

no i think we need more comics and i think its like any other genre
PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#22  Edited By PowerHerc

Are there too many?  Nope.
SneakyPenguins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SneakyPenguins

I think the more comic inspired stuff in the main stream media the better as it supports more comics.

Glak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Glak

I like this change 
One reason is with all these shows and movies coming out it's easier for me to say I read comics and people won't be weird about it as much 
Also as long as the shows are good I don't mind there being "too much" comics on TV, which I don't think there is yet either

Chesapeake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By Chesapeake

There is enough cake for everyone !!!

Avatar image for artisticneedham
ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ArtisticNeedham

Its a great thing that TV is becoming a viable place for comics.  Just because there are comic movies doesn't mean comic tv shows will be too much.
Imagine how much better a story they could tell for X-men, with all their history and mutants, if they did a Buffy style (or Smallville, Angel, Heroes, styled) tv series.
Season one starting with a small group of Xavier, Scott, Hank, Jean, Warren, and Bobby, with season two adding Wolverine, Colossus, Banshee, Storm, Nightcrawler, and Kitty Pryde. 

Or imagine how great the SHAZAM! tv series could be today, with Smallville level FX and costumes, or the new Wonder Woman tv series.
I am glad that technology is finally getting to the point where comics can be turned into TV shows.

I also want to see more cartoons like the Avengers, JLU, Batman/Superman, Venture Brothers stuff.
Imagine an Invincible cartoon show on Adult Swim, where they animate it to the level of the Venture Brothers and are allowed to tell the stories from the comics (I mean not have to tone it down too much for TV.)

With TV characters can evolve better, stories have more time to be told, people can get to know a character much better.  Like the character of Cyclops in the movie, we barely got to see him but in a TV show we can get to know him and find out he is so uptight because of his loosing his parents and it being connected to his powers which are incredibly dangerous without constant control.
In a TV series characters have more time in the spotlight as well, an episode or two a season can highlight a character we may never get to see in a movie, like Betty Brant.

TV is a better outlet for comics, but the downside is the cost and FX, but hopefully that is getting better.

DMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#27  Edited By DMC
FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By FoxxFireArt

Non-superheroes are just so much easier to adapt on live properties. It's because you have less worries about the suspension of disbelief with certain special effects. For Walking Dead, all you really need is the zombie makeup.

Super heroes appear to adapt better in animated form. So many things work better in animation. The audience more easily steps out of reality to accept more. Also, it's far easier to create more lavish environments and monsters to fight.

I'm enjoying Walking Dead so far, because it's more a story about the characters and the zombies are just a trial for the story. The same way with Battlestar Galactica. That was a scifi series, but it was more a war time drama that just happened to be set in space. The characters were human.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#29  Edited By Gambit1024
@Lovenuggets said:
" wait..is this a serious article? lol ..Only LIVE comic series shows I see are The Walking Dead and Smallvile...how is that TOO many? I say bring in More...but Dont spoil it to much...I'm loling at this.  also I would Like to point out that Hero's is a fail show..I don't even consider it to be a Comic book or TV series just some wanna be x-men fail crap....sorry just happy it got canned :D "
Totally agreed. The more the merrier (as long as they don't suck like Blade did). 
Sir Duke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Sir Duke

Say what?  The only comic book shows I can think of are Walking Dead and Smallville, and Walking Dead is a far cry from what you'd expect from a comic book tv show.  And it's not like this is anything new.  What about the Adam West Batman series?  Or the Wonder Woman and Hulk shows in the 70s.  Don't want to forget about the Flash or Lois And Clark shows from the 90s either.  And Smallville has been on the air for an entire decade, it's not some new trend that's just starting.

Dr. Detfink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#31  Edited By Dr. Detfink

Of course Warner Bros and Disney are desperately trying to get every property animated because they know that's the best way to groom the next generation of comic book fans. Unfortunately, it doesn't work. It never works much like the movies, you won't see that dramatic spike in the book sales. 

What TV live action does is enhance the reading for fan boys alike.

Demas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Demas
@Dr. Detfink: I works... just many years later when the adults with disposable income try to recapture their childhoods.  Cartoons, however, are still a limited market in the US.  Live action television creates long lasting popular culture icons like Lou Ferrigno or Lynda Carter or Terri Hatcher.  Ask the same audience to tell you the difference between X-Men Evolution and Wolverine and the X-Men and you'll just get blank stares... but even a non-comic fan can tell you who Adam West is.
Dr. Detfink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#33  Edited By Dr. Detfink
@Demas:  
My post wasn't regarding recognition but getting a new batch of kiddies to give up their video games for some good wholesome comic books after seeing the cartoon. 

No, I'm saying cartoons are a hook for new fans. think DC and Marvel cares about the older fans? C'mon how many deviations from the storyline have we had? Silly.  I'm just saying you can't blame them for all the cartoons and direct to DVD animated features because that's where the hook is for the kiddies. Certainly not saying fans familiar with the material won't call them out. But the thing is, to groom a new generation to pay for those $4 books. Whether or not that works...well, it hasn't boosted readership THAT much in the past.
Darkmount1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#34  Edited By Darkmount1
@Danial79:
Here, here!  I would so want a DC-Marvel channel that just aired all the cartoons they've done and all the live action shows they've done. The heck with their rivalry!  And I want a crossover on TV!  They still haven't done that yet! When will they stop acting like a couple of babies?!?
difficlus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By difficlus
@ArtisticNeedham said:
" Its a great thing that TV is becoming a viable place for comics.  Just because there are comic movies doesn't mean comic tv shows will be too much. Imagine how much better a story they could tell for X-men, with all their history and mutants, if they did a Buffy style (or Smallville, Angel, Heroes, styled) tv series. Season one starting with a small group of Xavier, Scott, Hank, Jean, Warren, and Bobby, with season two adding Wolverine, Colossus, Banshee, Storm, Nightcrawler, and Kitty Pryde.   Or imagine how great the SHAZAM! tv series could be today, with Smallville level FX and costumes, or the new Wonder Woman tv series. I am glad that technology is finally getting to the point where comics can be turned into TV shows.  I also want to see more cartoons like the Avengers, JLU, Batman/Superman, Venture Brothers stuff. Imagine an Invincible cartoon show on Adult Swim, where they animate it to the level of the Venture Brothers and are allowed to tell the stories from the comics (I mean not have to tone it down too much for TV.)  With TV characters can evolve better, stories have more time to be told, people can get to know a character much better.  Like the character of Cyclops in the movie, we barely got to see him but in a TV show we can get to know him and find out he is so uptight because of his loosing his parents and it being connected to his powers which are incredibly dangerous without constant control. In a TV series characters have more time in the spotlight as well, an episode or two a season can highlight a character we may never get to see in a movie, like Betty Brant.  TV is a better outlet for comics, but the downside is the cost and FX, but hopefully that is getting better. "
this seems good...
Demas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Demas
@Dr. Detfink:  The $4 is sort of the point.  I don't think that your average kid can afford periodical comics in the way they're normally published.  Cartoons and movies have never been about book sales, they've always been about branding and merchandising.  DC and Marvel make most of their money on toys and licensing, not comics.  Comics are just fuel for the media that gets out there and penetrates the public at large.
Avatar image for hydrabob--defunct
hydrabob--defunct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I think as long as they follow the material given the tv show or movie will be fine 
also seeing as how a comic isn't (or maybe it would) going to fill the entirety of their 30 min show the director can still throw in his own stuff
What is bad about all the movie and tv show is when they take just tiny aspects about a graphical novel and use them in the movie
Like Wanted i read the Graphic novel and loved it the idea the creativity then i went and saw the movie and i was questioning everything
i didn't know if they even read the book they got their material from, i didn't know if the book was actually related to the movie, i was completely confused.
As long as writers and Directors don't throw comics into the deep end and see if they float like wanted again i don't think anyone will be upset with comics on TV

TheSheepHerder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By TheSheepHerder

Nah, but we're getting too many bad ones on film.

Fantasgasmic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Fantasgasmic

I know I just posted a somewhat large response to the idea of comics adaptations on tv, but I feel like there needs to be something said about NETWORK tv. 

It won't work. Unless you are talking about saturday morning cartoons (which i'm not sure if they are around), or you count the campy 70s live action shows (which were around before basic cable from what i understand), I practically never works.

Heroes didn't work, Birds of Prey didn't work, Human Target doesn't work, Mutant X didn't work, Blade: the series didn't work, Night Man didn't work, The Tick (live action) didn't work (no matter how much I wanted it to), Timecop the TV show didn't work, Witchblade didn't work (although taht was basic cable) Smallville has very little to do with actual storylines from Superman so maybe that is why it has been successful, but I personally don't care for it.  

Maybe it's just that they were horribly produced, maybe its that network TV sucks, maybe it's that they were licensing sh*tty serieses in the first place. I'm holding out for comics adaptations on showtime moreso than basic cable (although AMC has done great things with Mad Men and Breaking Bad, so hopefully The Walking Dead will follow the trend of little network interference) or (shudder) network tv 

Mr. Mercury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Mr. Mercury

I miss Heroes :(

egotript

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By egotript

Never too many comics on TV!

MrDirector786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#42  Edited By MrDirector786

LOL at that picture with all the Mickey Mouse ears.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By NightFang3

I think half of the Marvel shows will be canceled in 1 or 2 seasons or they won't make half of these shows.

chalkshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#44  Edited By chalkshark

When I think of over saturation in the television market, I think of police procedurals. There is not a single night during the week when some kind of police/forensics show is playing. Comic book properties have a long way to go to reach that point. There's also such a wide range of subject matter covered in comics that you could have a number of programs based on adaptations of comic books, & have them all fall into different genres. Smallville is about super heroes. The Walking Dead is a horror show. The Human Target is an action/adventure series. You could have a Western featuring Kid Colt.  A detective show starring Roy Raymond, T.V. Detective.  A police procedural set in Gotham City.  A period war epic with Sgt. Rock. The point is, you could flood the television market with comic book properties & never really seem to be over mining the genre for unique concepts. it doesn't always have to be men in tights.

Omarfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Omarfish

I think Daredevil & Spidey would make an awesome drama series haha.

nightshroud1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By nightshroud1

I think there should be more superhero live action shows like heroes and smallville 
because we always have to wait years a good superhero movie so why not in the meantime make acouple of marvel or dc live action drama's. I saw a trailer for a blue beetle live action looks good.
Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Eyz

...And it's only starting!
We're gonna see a lot more DC or Marvel adaptations in the next years I'm sure! :P

00 Raiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By 00 Raiser

Its a good thing I think. There isnt really any Grade A material out there anymore. I personally think Smallville is doing a really good job though it has its moments when its makes think WHAT THE HELL?

DarkSyde79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By DarkSyde79

Better than having all these stupid reality television shows on the air... :os

tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By tonis

I'm happier with todays TV offerings than when there weren't enough comic material on the screen :) 
Beats anything 'reality' or an over saturation of crappy sitcoms.