No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_
Click To Unmute

Want us to remember this setting for all your devices?

Please use a html5 video capable browser to watch videos.
This video has an invalid file format.
00:00:00
Sorry, but you can't access this content!
Please enter your date of birth to view this video

By clicking 'enter', you agree to Comic Vine's
Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

Avatar image for _girl_of_steel_
*Girl of Steel*

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By *Girl of Steel*

Anti-heroes seem more popular at least...

johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By johnny_spam

Call me old fashioned but I always think that characters are more interesting if someone is a hero or a villain and nothing in between. To me the anti-hero gets very limited he will just do things the hero won't do.  

I prefer to read books where someone is a hero if I am reading a villain book then I like something like Mark Waid's Empire the characters were truly villainous and not really grey.

Namor1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By Namor1987

Love anti-heroes too many reasons to list but mainly because they're more based in reality & have better more down to earth costumes

Avatar image for amazingspidermike
AmazingSpiderMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By AmazingSpiderMike

I am more of a "hero" type person rather than the anti-hero. Not to say that one is better than the other, it is just what I prefer. I with the anti-hero, he/she is more of a 2 dimensional character because it is either kill or be killed, very simple and to the point. With the hero aspect, they have to walk that fine line and conflicting views on if I don't stop this villain at any cost they he/she is going to come back a reek havoc all over again. But I can't kill him/her because I am a "hero". I find that this makes for a more interesting story.

Dex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Dex

It would be a cool book to make a character that had a split personality. Having both a hero and Anti-hero in one character to really mess with his enemies.

"I'm going to take you to jail....then shoot you right in the head."

*Girl of Steel*

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By *Girl of Steel*
@Namor1987 said:
" Love anti-heroes too many reasons to list but mainly because they're more based in reality & have better more down to earth costumes "
Case in point, hence why Batman has 6 titles or whatever over Superman's 1.
Onyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7  Edited By Onyx

the poor cab driver...they must have been.. 
F'n Geeks get out of my cab already!

WillTurnerRC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By WillTurnerRC
@Dex:
I like a balance between heroes and anti heroes. In the DC comics I've read, I like how Superman is often effectively Batman's conscience, reminding him of the line between right and wrong.  

I know "dark" characters have more appeal but I think it is getting to a point now where it can get silly. For example V For Vendetta. I don't get why people love that film. He's not just a terrorist but pretentious and rambling. If I called a character Silly Poetic Monologue Man I would be laughed in my idiot face. 

I suppose the point is I think there needs to be more hero in superheroes now. This is why I like Batman Brave And The Bold.
ironshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ironshadow

Anti-Hero all they way, heroes just bore and annoy me, "Oh no we can't kill because we're heroes and heroes don't kill because that's what separates us from them"...ugh. 
And also killing is good, if you kill a serial killer in order to prevent him from killing anyone else and also punish him for the crimes he has committed. 

MemnochZERO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MemnochZERO

Well the world is grey, so I've never had a problem with that in fiction, actually I think comics and other media in general have gotten a lot more interesting since the antihero. I've always found the super "hero" or "villain" to be outrageously restrictive and borderline cartoony. That's cool if it's your thing, but I like variety and not regidity.
I'd much rather live in a world where characters like Frank Castle, Vic Mackey, Tyler Durden, the Comedian, William Munny, Jesse Custer, and Eric Draven exist than a world where I only got Superman and Doctor Doom types. Representing everything in black and white is boring as shit and stinks just as bad.
EnSabahNurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By EnSabahNurX

I prefer a hero to have a little bit of a dark side and if necessary they may kill you if its completely necessary but feel guilty to a degree for having done so.

JEdThing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By JEdThing

I enjoy hero books more. Though i do love the marvel max punisher stuff. So i guess both?

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By No_Name_
@Onyx said:
" the poor cab driver...they must have been.. F'n Geeks get out of my cab already! "
He loved it. He was a geek too
Namor1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Namor1987
@aztek the lost said:
" Watching Smallville, as much as I enjoy the show, Clark is just so frustrating with his "morals"...how can I look up to someone who can't get the job done.

@*Girl of Steel* said:
" @Namor1987 said:
" Love anti-heroes too many reasons to list but mainly because they're more based in reality & have better more down to earth costumes "
Case in point, hence why Batman has 6 titles or whatever over Superman's 1. "
even though Batman is no more anti-hero then Superman...he was edgy back in the 80's but he's pretty tame compared to actual anti-heroes these days "
Batman (Bruce) never appealed to me I just like the Kevlar or Teflon style armor I like Jason Todd Or Dick Grayson those are my favorite vigilantes from the DCU because it doesn't get much better than Night Wing & Red Hood
Amegashita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16  Edited By Amegashita
@*Girl of Steel* said:
  Batman is just as much of a hero morally as Superman.  Example, Identity Crisis.
ZORN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By ZORN

I prefer Anti-Heroes, like The Punisher.

*Girl of Steel*

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By *Girl of Steel*
@aztek the lost said:
" Watching Smallville, as much as I enjoy the show, Clark is just so frustrating with his "morals"...how can I look up to someone who can't get the job done.

@*Girl of Steel* said:
" @Namor1987 said:
even though Batman is no more anti-hero then Superman...he was edgy back in the 80's but he's pretty tame compared to actual anti-heroes these days "
It depends on your definition, especially since being an anti-hero isn't just all about killing and edginess. Yeah I wouldn't say he's as comparable to all out anti-heroes currently but that's probably the very reason people like him so much because he's neither of them fully.
johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By johnny_spam
@WillTurnerRC:  @WillTurnerRC said:

" @Dex: I like a balance between heroes and anti heroes. In the DC comics I've read, I like how Superman is often effectively Batman's conscience, reminding him of the line between right and wrong.   I know "dark" characters have more appeal but I think it is getting to a point now where it can get silly. For example V For Vendetta. I don't get why people love that film. He's not just a terrorist but pretentious and rambling. If I called a character Silly Poetic Monologue Man I would be laughed in my idiot face.  I suppose the point is I think there needs to be more hero in superheroes now. This is why I like Batman Brave And The Bold. "

What's interesting is Alan Moore said in the comic the bad guys weren't villainous by choice and V pretty much destroyed the last country with any sort of stability in the world. Just like Rorschach who was intended to be the most despised of the cast people see someone cool and mistake that as a reason to like the character rather then see the character as a problem for society. Sometimes the stereotype that  the anti-hero is no better then the villain is true.   

Or with Jason Todd many see Judd Winick's version as not a bad guy when the writer said he is bad and not a good person but fans overlook his murderous petty ways.
kheranlord12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By kheranlord12

A true anti hero is someone that does heroic things for they own selfish purpose.
MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 299

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By MrMazz

I would say Anti-Hero would be more popular since they could be more  "bad ass" but at the same time if it goes to im going to shoot people because I can level then it gets boring 

honestly it comes down to the way the character is written and challenged look at Dark Knight and the Punisher War Zone movies. The Joker systematically challenged Batmans rules and motives going as far as corrupting there white knight. Jigsaw just hired a bunch of thugs to go kill a family. The conflict is what makes things interesting with out a interesting conflict we get stuff like Superman Returns thats just bland with no real challenge  

side note Villains are still scared of batz since he could easily put them in a body cast which would be painful and maybe worse then death idk never tried it myself 

Namor1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Namor1987
@*Girl of Steel* said:
" @aztek the lost said:

@*Girl of Steel* said:
" @Namor1987 said:
It depends on your definition, especially since being an anti-hero isn't just all about killing and edginess. Yeah I wouldn't say he's as comparable to all out anti-heroes currently but that's probably the very reason people like him so much because he's neither of them fully. "
Ik but my preference is the edgier guys to each his or her own
*Girl of Steel*

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By *Girl of Steel*
@Amegashita said:
" @*Girl of Steel* said:
  Batman is just as much of a hero morally as Superman.  Example, Identity Crisis. "
Others times not as much or at all,  in fact a case could be made for a lot of characters now that I think about it.
Avatar image for artisticneedham
ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ArtisticNeedham

My ears are popping!  kidding.
I like heroes to anti heroes, personally.  I like heroes who try to represent the best of us.  Punisher may kill but thats sort of the easy way out, anyone could kill.
As a reader I think the anti hero was interesting when there were only one or two, but its almost like every hero is an anti hero, making heroes like Spider-Man, Captain America, and Superman, stand out.
When the entire world is becoming more like anti heroes, where killing is more accepted and maybe asked for its even harder to be a hero like superman.  (Like in Kingdom Come)

*Girl of Steel*

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By *Girl of Steel*
@aztek the lost said:
" @*Girl of Steel* said:
" @aztek the lost said:

@*Girl of Steel* said:
" @Namor1987 said:
It depends on your definition, especially since being an anti-hero isn't just all about killing and edginess. Yeah I wouldn't say he's as comparable to all out anti-heroes currently but that's probably the very reason people like him so much because he's neither of them fully. "
if he's neither white nor gray, then what is he? off-white? "
Off-white sounds about right... He's just definitely a character that's always is right on the line.
Amegashita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Amegashita
@*Girl of Steel* said:
Others times not as much or at all,  in fact a case could be made for a lot of characters now that I think about it. "
  Yeah, but Batman is morally a hero.  He doesn't like carrying guns.  He resusitated the Joker after Dick beat him to death because he didn't want want the death on Dick's hands.  My point is that Batman has 6 titles not because he's a "Anti-Hero" but for other reasons. 

Compared to other anti-heroes out there, Batman is relatively tame in comparisson.
Namor1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Namor1987
@aztek the lost said:
" @*Girl of Steel* said:
" @aztek the lost said:

@*Girl of Steel* said:
" @Namor1987 said:
White-Out lol idk
Jordanstine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Jordanstine

Anyone feel like Captain America, who is considered a hero, is slowly to start sounding like an anti-hero? 

He's nowhere as 80's goody-goody as Superman currently is.   

Cap's (more of Steve Rogers than Bucky Barnes) basically is borderline in between hero and anti-hero. 

Kind'a like a hero-anti-hero. 

Anyway, I love it! 

*Girl of Steel*

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By *Girl of Steel*
@Namor1987 said:

" @*Girl of Steel* said:

" @aztek the lost said:

@*Girl of Steel* said:
" @Namor1987 said:
Ik but my preference is the edgier guys to each his or her own "
Yeah like some people who prefer Heroes who take it the farthest end of the spectrum in that direction instead of one's in the middle.
zabdi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By zabdi

batmans not really an anti-hero, he does the right things (stopping crime) for largley the right reasons (making gotham a better place) and doesnt kill. Just having occasionally struggled with morality doesnt mean they arent a hero 

good anti-heros are ones who are in no way hero like, Frank Castle was origonally a marvel villian, hes an anti-hero because he kills people rather than turning them over too the police. Or Jessy Custer in Preacher, hunts down god using gratuitous violence, he does the right thing in the context of the book but hes not a particularly good person. Jack in Fables is another example hes cowardly greedy and dishonest however he has managed to save the day before

Avatar image for gambitpryde1993
gambitpryde1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By gambitpryde1993

Anti-heroes are more realistic. People in real life don't always fight for "truth, justice, and the American way" like Superman or Captain America. This is why I'm a big fan of the X-Men. Wolverine has a clouded past and his bloodlust gets in the way sometimes. He also can be a bad teammate, but he has a nurturing relationship with Shadowcat, Rogue, Jubilee etc. Gambit also has been a member of the Thieves' Guild and a Horseman of the Apocalypse, but he joins the X-Men to control his powers. I love heroes with  inner struggles that's why I'm a Marvelite.

The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#33  Edited By The_Martian

I like hero books better, but I like reading about the conflict between hero and anti-hero. Like when Spider-Man teams up with Punisher.

*Girl of Steel*

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By *Girl of Steel*
@Namor1987 said:
" @aztek the lost said:
" @*Girl of Steel* said:
" @aztek the lost said:

@*Girl of Steel* said:
" @Namor1987 said:
White-Out lol idk "
Haha, White-Out. lol
gambitpryde1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By gambitpryde1993
@ArtisticNeedham:  After like 40 years, why can't Batman kill the Joker?
johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By johnny_spam
@gambitpryde1993: @gambitpryde1993 said:
" @ArtisticNeedham:  After like 40 years, why can't Batman kill the Joker? "
He says he's scared he'd go in a dark place he wouldn't come out of.
gambitpryde1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By gambitpryde1993
@Jordanstine:  I feel u. In the Civil War,  Captain America really had to get away from his "patriotism" back in the 60s/70s to resist the Registration Act and fight his old friend Tony Stark.
Amegashita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Amegashita

Heroes are the best for me.  A hero is a person who has the power to stop something from occuring by easily getting rid of the problem.  Their morals are what makes them comendable, and great role models for others.  They stand for taking the long way rather than the short, easy way.
Namor1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Namor1987
@*Girl of Steel* said:
" @Namor1987 said:

" @*Girl of Steel* said:

" @aztek the lost said:

@*Girl of Steel* said:
" @Namor1987 said:
Yeah like some people who prefer Heroes who take it the farthest end of the spectrum in that direction instead of one's in the middle. "
Who's your favorite anti-hero(es) from DCU OR MU? Mine are Moon Knight & Daken from MU & from DCU Red Hood & Night Wing
*Girl of Steel*

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By *Girl of Steel*
@zabdi said:

" batmans not really an anti-hero, he does the right things (stopping crime) for largley the right reasons (making gotham a better place) and doesnt kill. Just having occasionally struggled with morality doesnt mean they arent a hero  good anti-heros are ones who are in no way hero like, Frank Castle was origonally a marvel villian, hes an anti-hero because he kills people rather than turning them over too the police. Or Jessy Custer in Preacher, hunts down god using gratuitous violence, he does the right thing in the context of the book but hes not a particularly good person. Jack in Fables is another example hes cowardly greedy and dishonest however he has managed to save the day before "

@warlord1234 said:

" A true anti hero is someone that does heroic things for they own selfish purpose. "

He's selfish, he's always been motivated by revenge. He lies to get what he wants, he uses people to achieve his goals no matter what the cost  etc... etc...
*Girl of Steel*

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By *Girl of Steel*
@Namor1987 said:
" @*Girl of Steel* said:
" @Namor1987 said:

" @*Girl of Steel* said:

" @aztek the lost said:

@*Girl of Steel* said:
" @Namor1987 said:
Yeah like some people who prefer Heroes who take it the farthest end of the spectrum in that direction instead of one's in the middle. "
Who's your favorite anti-hero(es) from DCU OR MU? Mine are Moon Knight & Daken from MU & from DCU Red Hood & Night Wing "
DCU Red-Hood& Night Wing/ Maybe a little bit Green Arrow, and MU Daken& Punisher.
Achilles.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Achilles.

Anti-Hero

Avatar image for darkwolverineusmc
darkwolverineUSMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 4

I enjoy both evenly. Ya gotta have a pure hero, some one stands for justice, refuses to break his honor code, cares for civilians, like Spiderman. Then ya need the one who's willing to get the job done, no matter what the cost. Anyone who gets in their way is better off dead. Like the punisher.    
Namor1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Namor1987
@*Girl of Steel* said:
" @Namor1987 said:
" @*Girl of Steel* said:
" @Namor1987 said:

" @*Girl of Steel* said:

" @aztek the lost said:

@*Girl of Steel* said:
" @Namor1987 said:
Who's your favorite anti-hero(es) from DCU OR MU? Mine are Moon Knight & Daken from MU & from DCU Red Hood & Night Wing "
DCU Red-Hood& Night Wing/ Maybe a little bit Green Arrow, and MU Daken& Punisher. "
Oo great minds do think alike huh lol
MemnochZERO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By MemnochZERO

Another thing people should take into account is what an antihero actually is. 
Essentially it's just a protagonist that doesn't fit the true definition of a "hero". Basically put Bullseye in his own ongoing title (may be a moot point now), he still behaves the way Bullseye does, but since every story has a lead protagonist and it's his book, he becomes an antihero. Get it? 
Apply that to pretty much anything, be it a comic, film, novel,  video game, or televison and see how many "antiheroes" you can name. It's not merely "good guys killing the bad guys", in some cases it's bad guys killing slightly worse guys. 
I'm also reminded of something Kurt Sutter (creator of Sons of Anarchy and co-writer on The Shield) said about the characters on those shows: 
He saw Det. Vic Mackey and his Strike Team on a "mortal scale" percentage as 60% "Good" and 40% "Bad", meanwhile the SAMCRO bikers on Sons of Anarchy he sees as 60% "Bad" and 40% "Good" on that scale. In real life, even criminals have some kind of moral compass, right? Well, most cases anyway. That's why child molestors and child killers don't last very long in prison and "cop killers" are at the top of the pile. 

BTW Batman's "no kill rule" was originally an editorial choice, and while I'd agree he's a much more interesting character because of it (essentially turning him from a criminal beating up other criminals to an executioner), characters like Wolverine or Green Arrow (both with strong moral compasses) are equally as interesting for killing foes in a do-or-die situation.
Avatar image for captaingenisvell
CaptainGenisVell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By CaptainGenisVell

Look up the definitions, doesn't say Anti-Heroes are killers at all so they could easily put someone in Jail like a hero, but not necessarily in the same condition.

Wonderchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Wonderchild

Heroes

darkxman123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By darkxman123

hero- does right things for the right reasons and sticks by morals eg batman super siderman etc  

anti hero - doesnt have morals and does bad things for good reasons such as punsher deadpool etc 

ARMIV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By ARMIV

I'm more of a Hero guy. Anti-Heroes have been done to death and get really repetetive.  
MEGATGJX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By MEGATGJX

Well an anti-hero can be more then a mere killer an anti-hero can vary from more villian like tactics to being a flawed personality for example superman wont resort to torturing one for information however the Punisher would.  The intimidation that comes from superman is that even though he wont kill you bullets bounce off his chest and he can hurt you if he so chooses. I find anti heros more interesting due to there simularities to real life people and also most of them call to justice seeking atonement and   retribution.