Broken bones and injuries

kaliforniaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

#1  Edited By kaliforniaa

Here's something I was recently thinking about since I am interested in fitness.

Have any/many superheros actually broken bones while fighting? You see characters walking away bruised and battered, but how about actually needing to be on crutches for weeks afterwards? I would think they wouldn't be as popular with their community if they had to constantly had to take time off to heal.  What do you have to say about this?

Mighty Thorion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 34

#2  Edited By Mighty Thorion

Batman (Bruce Wayne) had his back broken by Bane several years ago. While he was out of action Azrael became Batman in his place. I also remember Peter Parker once breaking his arm and having to fight Doc Ock  - I think it happened around #54 - #58 of Amazing Spider-man. He didn't have any time off, though. Also in the 1980's Hawkman series, the Winged Wonder suffered a serious looking injury from Lionmane in one issue, but by the end of the next issue he was okay again as DC claimed Thanagarians heal more quickly than earth people. Can't remember any more off the top of my head.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

I remember Spidey getting his arm broken in one of the first issues of New Avengers.
brc2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By brc2000

Wildcat was on crutches for a while.

Calvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By Calvin
  • Bruce Wayne was in a wheel chair for some time (Bane did it!)  And you often year Alfred mention his weekly injuries! 
  • Barbara Gordon is in a wheel chair - since I was born, or even more years (Joker)  
  • I've seen Superman with an eyed patched, but that was only in war issue, he heals quickly.  
  • Peter Parker is a champion! He always have something broken, bruised or at least a rip off costume! I recall seeing him, a an example, with webs around his arm holding it, but still fighting! 
AMS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By AMS

Prof X kept getting to ability to walk back and then losing it again various times.
roadbuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By roadbuster

Wally West, The Flash, has had both his legs shattered but Grant Morrison turned his suit into an energy cast that let him stand-up and run until his legs healed. 
Bart Allen, at the time Impulse, had his knee blow away by a shotgun blast from Deathstroke... Johns used it as an impetus for Bart to become Kid Flash after healing. 

Of course, since both characters are speedsters, their healing did not involve walking around on crutches for weeks.

Dr_Columbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Dr_Columbo
Wait a minute I love this idea. I am sick and tired or all these Healing factors patching up heroes in seconds. Heroes like Batman and the Punisher are stronger because they play through the pain. A broken arm or cracked rib only makes their heroic acts more incredible.. Why read Wolverine when he can survive anything thrown at him. Therefore I believe YES a hero should have weakness but not down time recuperating. If Batman had a broken leg He would merely put a splint on it and continue his mission.
So again Injuries would only make a story line better.
kaliforniaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By kaliforniaa

BUT, Dr_Columbo, if you continue fighting or working out while injured, especially with a broken limb, it could cause permanent damage, therefore keeping Bats out of the game permanently, until like Cap, someone else replaces him

Mighty Thorion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 34

#10  Edited By Mighty Thorion

Didn't  Arsenal / Speedy or however Roy Harper is known these days recently lose an arm is a battle with someone? Can't give more details as it wasn't an issue / series I picked up.

DomDom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By DomDom

Dick Grayson aka (Nightwing) had crutches for a while. That's how he got the nickname "Crutches".  He could still totally kickbutt with them anyways.  =)
Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

This calls for some US Agent scans!  

Mekboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Mekboy

Does Moon Knight count?

Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

@Jake Fury: It's always time for some U.S. Agent scans
karrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By karrob

Colossus got his arms broken by WWH...

davelecave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By davelecave
@Calvin said:
"  
  • Peter Parker is a champion! He always have something broken, bruised or at least a rip off costume! I recall seeing him, a an example, with webs around his arm holding it, but still fighting! 
"

In Amazing Spidey #585 he has arm in a web-sling because he had been shot.
kaliforniaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By kaliforniaa

To JAKE FURY, could you provide a brief description to those scans for those of us who aren't familiar with that storyline please

To Mekboy, Based on what I found at marvel.com, I think Moon Knight could be included as someone who has suffered injuries that required significant healing

Moon Knight recently battled his long time rival Bushman in a brutal encounter, carving his arch enemy's face from his body. Broken knees however have kept the moon's Knight of Vengeance confined to a wheelchair. Recovering from the war with Bushman, Moon Knight is now stalked by Taskmaster, who has been hired by the Committee to take him out.
Dr_Columbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Dr_Columbo
@kaliforniaa said:
" BUT, Dr_Columbo, if you continue fighting or working out while injured, especially with a broken limb, it could cause permanent damage, therefore keeping Bats out of the game permanently, until like Cap, someone else replaces him "
agreed their should be some down time. It would add to the moral struggle of the hero knowing crime is out there and there is nothing he can do about it. Comics aren't always  just about the hero it is about the person  . But the point I feel strong about is healing factor heroes vs mortal ones. Which makes a better read.
Avatar image for i_madc_imageguy_
I'maDC/ImageGuy!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By I'maDC/ImageGuy!

Moon Knight was in a wheel chair for a while in the first volume that came out in 2005.

kaliforniaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By kaliforniaa

Continuing the topic.. Can someone provide a list of characters and their injuries please. Especially characters who have become paralyzed.

Barbara Gordon [Oracle] - paralyzed
Cable - Prosthetic arm and eye [don't know why thow]
Fatality - Prosthetic arm
Karma - Prosthetic leg
Forge - Prosthetic hand and leg
Cyborg - Nuff said
Roy Harper - Prosthetic Arm
Bishop - Prosthetic Arm
Wendy Harris - paralyzed

Avatar image for black_lantern_mar_vell
Black Lantern Mar-vell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Booster Gold has suffered several broken bones and Guy Gardner had his nose broken by Batman.
kaliforniaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By kaliforniaa

Hellion - Lost his hands to Nimrod
Sarge Steel - Prosthetic hand
Bart Allen [Kid Flash] - Prosthetic knee
Mistry Knight - Prosthetic arm
Calamity - Prosthetic legs
Annex - Lost his leg[s]
Emil Hamilton - Prosthetic arm
Tom Noir - Prosthetic leg
Deathlok - Cyborg
Lex Luthor - Prosthetic hand
Silhouette - Parapalegic
Wiz Kid - Wheelchair bound
Daredevil - Blind
Echo - Deaf
Eddie McDonough - Handicapped
Blindfold - Blind
Professor X - Parapalegic
Jonothan Starsmore - Mute
U.S. Agent - Prosthetic arm and wheelchair bound
Black Bolt - mute
Commander Steel - Rebuilt
Risk - Missing arm
Booster Gold - Prosthetic arm
Destiny - Blind
Alicia Masters - Blind
Hammer - Paralyzed

X-23 - PTSD
Aurora - Dissociative Identity Disorder
Legion - Dissociative Identity Disorder
Cassandra Cain - Dyslexic

Garmin Vid - Broken arm
Golden Eagle - Broken arm and injured eye
Terry Berg - Essentially everything
Colossus - Broken arm
Angela del Toro - Broken arm

kaliforniaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By kaliforniaa

The question might actually have to be then, who might be more inspirational? A human superhero decked out with gear and gadgets, or a mutant/mutate who loses a limb and gets a prosthetic replacement?

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Nova`Prime`
@kaliforniaa: Good list, but you're missing two big points, Bucky with his arm and Black Bolt isn't mute... he doesn't speak because he's slightest whisper would shatter mountains.
Avatar image for donovan_montgomery
Donovan Montgomery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

Daredevil has had both a broken arm and leg and was beating badguys up while wearing casts. 

Barbara Gordon is the best example as she is still (last I checked) in a wheelchair and can still kick some serious butt. 
kaliforniaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By kaliforniaa

I think people who are voluntarily mute should be included because technically speaking, they could choose to talk, but then they would be villains. Also, what fun is it being a villain when all you have to do it open your mouth and a 50 meter radius gets demolished, at least when you get to beat up the bad guys it is more challenging

darkcloakx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By darkcloakx

before doomwar bp was in a coma for a while cause by dr. doom he had to retrain himself to get his body up to par again.

kaliforniaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By kaliforniaa

Back to the newest question in the post:

The question might actually have to be then, who might be more inspirational? A human superhero decked out with gear and gadgets, or a mutant/mutate who loses a limb and gets a prosthetic replacement?
kaliforniaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By kaliforniaa

* Rogue - Temporarily blind
Sunfire - Amputated legs [although they were restored to him by Apocalypse, therefore he may not be "eligible" for this list]