#1 Posted by CpTait (32 posts) - - Show Bio

As a British Marvel/DC reader I am always extremely put off by the way Britons speak in American comics; I was especially horrified to see the way Al Ewing (British) added in so much extra rubbish in Avengers Assemble 15AU.

DC seems to do it best with Constantine, as his British heritage only shines through when he says 'bloody'. Any other character, however, and suddenly you're in a Monty Python sketch. Some of the best comic book writers are British (Neil Gaiman, Alan Moore, Grant Morrison) and it's a shame they haven't put an end to the over use of the comic book "british" accent.

#2 Posted by Ravager4 (1627 posts) - - Show Bio

Specific examples (like, scans)?

#3 Edited by Saren (26027 posts) - - Show Bio

Garth Ennis' cast of characters from The Boys includes two Brits (Butcher and Hughie). How does their speech hold up?

#4 Edited by Supreme Marvel (11268 posts) - - Show Bio

Gaiman has a moment in Book of Magic that I like.

#5 Edited by Strider92 (16771 posts) - - Show Bio

I've never really noticed it to be honest. Spider-woman (Drew), Constantine, Andrew Bennett, Butcher, Ian Nottingham to name a few are all British and their dialogue seems to be very well handled. There might be odd occasions where the writer needlessly enforces it for no apparent reason but I can't say its something that i've noticed cropping up a lot.

#6 Posted by TheManInTheShoe (3878 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, I read Avengers Assemble 15AU and I usually try and picture the British characters with a British accent, but the way the dialogue was written just messed up my head.

#7 Edited by longbowhunter (7537 posts) - - Show Bio

Sitting here at work reading Hellblazer now. It's very easy to digest. Someone here mentioned The Boys. I remember coming into that series around issue #10 or 12 and thinking I was having a mild stroke. I had no clue the characters were British, Scottish and French. The dialogue, analogies and colloquialisms left me lost for sometime. I heard people complain that Paul Cornell's Knight & Squire mini was "too British" as well.

#8 Edited by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

Garth Ennis' cast of characters from The Boys includes two Brits (Butcher and Hughie). How does their speech hold up?

It was alright as I recall - I don't know how authentic it is (I'd venture quite) - but I remember the dialogue giving me a headache at times. Occasionally, Ennis likes to stuff speech balloons filled with the most inexplicable jargon, and the French dialogue always made me lost.

#9 Edited by Supreme Marvel (11268 posts) - - Show Bio

@longbowhunter said:

I had no clue the characters were British, Scottish and French.

Scotland is a part of Britain. I think you mean, English, Scottish...