Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SodamYat
No Caption Provided

There are still pieces of the ship showing so its bigger

and also the copy/paste made it a square thats bigger than the actual planet earth . if it was a circle paste, it'd be more.

Avatar image for comicsrulebutdbzdoes2
ComicsrulebutDBZdoes2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat: i could scale planets so that aunt mays hat his the size of 100 earths

Avatar image for thenaughtytitan
TheNaughtyTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One way you can tell it is pretty heavy is look at how he benched the earth for 5 days straight, he was not even challenged. The fact that it was so hard for him and martian manhunter to move this shows a lot about the weight of the ship.

All we know is it is much much more heavy than earth......

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat: i could scale planets so that aunt mays hat his the size of 100 earths

sure you could.. except the planet was provided in the actual page. i just copy and pasted it.

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I can scale planets to a pic of an ant to make it seem like it's the size of 100 Jupiters.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can scale planets to a pic of an ant to make it seem like it's the size of 100 Jupiters.

again, the size of the planet was on panel.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Too many variables to take into account to accurately make this assumption. Copying and pasting the planet in the image over the ship until it covers all of the ship won't give an accurate answer.

Avatar image for comicsrulebutdbzdoes2
ComicsrulebutDBZdoes2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat: i can appear the same size of the empire state building in a picture

Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat: I can also make 500 Suns fit into my iPad screen - therefore my iPad is bigger than this Earth.

Your logic makes no sense.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat: i can appear the same size of the empire state building in a picture

the ship was behind earth. therefore making it seem smaller. So thanks, youre right, it should be more like 50 times bigger since its behind earth and still took up 40 earth sizes.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat: I can also make 500 Suns fit into my iPad screen - therefore my iPad is bigger than this Earth.

Your logic makes no sense.

what are you talking about dude? The planet was there on the panel. I copied it and pasted it. it took 40 times. Dont be silly.

Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat: Ever hear of depth perception? Do you know exactly how far apart the ship and the Earth really was? Did you take any of these angles in to consideration?

There are too many variables to take into consideration, so don't be silly. For all we know the ship could be the size of a small military base.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat: Ever hear of depth perception? Do you know exactly how far apart the ship and the Earth really was? Did you take any of these angles in to consideration?

There are too many variables to take into consideration, so don't be silly. For all we know the ship could be the size of a small military base.

JESUS CHRIST.

Say What?

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

Makes sense, not sure why everyone is trying to dispute this. The earth was on the page and OP was being saintly and showed us how to actually figure out the size of brainiac's ship.

I for one, thank the OP.

Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Transformers1024

@sodamyat said:

@transformers1024 said:

JESUS CHRIST.

I can take this photo of the American flag on the moon and copy and paste the flag alone over the Earth ONCE without cropping anything. Therefore that flag is bigger than the entire Earth.

No Caption Provided

I mean the flag is CLEARLY bigger than the Earth right?

RealityWarper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Size doesn't matter guys !

But maybe I'm just trying to reassure myself ! :((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@transformers1024: except the earth was infront of the ship. So if the ship was parallel with the earth it would look even bigger. Did you not see the original scan? You sound very lost.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Makes sense, not sure why everyone is trying to dispute this. The earth was on the page and OP was being saintly and showed us how to actually figure out the size of brainiac's ship.

I for one, thank the OP.

Thank you. Im not sure why this one person cant grasp a simple thing. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say its just a brain fart.

Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Transformers1024

@sodamyat: No, I'm proving that there is FAR more to take into consideration than just copy/pasting a photo and calling it logic. You're using methods an elementary student would think of.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@transformers1024: Your points havnt made sense at all. But I dont want to keep talking about it with you since Im pretty sure you make no sense to anyone else, so I rather just talk to them, if thats ok with you. Lets just please drop it.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat: No, I'm proving that there is FAR more to take into consideration than just copy/pasting a photo and calling it logic. You're using methods an elementary student think of.

Precisely. If he could prove this in a far more effective manner I would congratulate him, but copying and pasting won't work.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MudaMudaMuda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I for one, thank the OP.

This.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By micah007123

@sodamyat said:

@micah: why not?

@thenaughtytitan said it best.

"You can make an argument that it weighs more than earth(I already did) but your argument is terrible. Size does not equate to mass and the ship could be completely hollow, you cannot get any exact number on its weight no matter how hard you try. Please come up with a better argument."

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SodamYat

What do you guys think? Isnt this a somewhat accurate depiction? Especially when one considers that the ship is behind earth(making it look smaller) and the fact that my copy and pastes are squares and not circles which makes overlapping take up more space?

TheNaughtyTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TheNaughtyTitan

@dagmar_merrill said:

I for one, thank the OP.

No, you cannot assume that the earth and a piece of the ship the same size as earth weigh he same. You cannot prove they do. What the earth is made out of and what the earth is made of are completely different. Also you have to factor in that the ship could be hollow. You cannot get an exact weigh of the ship out of this feat.

I broke this down in my thread in general discussion, go check it out.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By SodamYat

@dagmar_merrill said:

I for one, thank the OP.

This.

Thank you, kind sir.

TheNaughtyTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@micah said:

@sodamyat said:

"You can make an argument that it weighs more than earth(I already did) but your argument is terrible. Size does not equate to mass and the ship could be completely hollow, you cannot get any exact number on its weight no matter how hard you try. Please come up with a better argument."

Thank you for noticing my comment :)

Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@micah said:

@transformers1024 said:

@sodamyat: No, I'm proving that there is FAR more to take into consideration than just copy/pasting a photo and calling it logic. You're using methods an elementary student think of.

Precisely. If he could prove this in a far more effective manner I would congratulate him, but copying and pasting won't work.

Agreed. There are no numbers here whatsoever to back up any his claims other than, "I know how to use microsoft paint."

@sodamyat said:

@transformers1024: Your points havnt made sense at all. But I dont want to keep talking about it with you since Im pretty sure you make no sense to anyone else, so I rather just talk to them, if thats ok with you. Lets just please drop it.

1.) I'm coming up with damn near ridiculous claims on purpose in hopes you'll apply it to your own and re-evaluate how you came to this answer.

2.) Yea, I mustn't make sense to anyone else. There's more of your finest reasoning. I guess graduating at the top of an advanced placement school was just out of pure luck then, eh?

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

One way you can tell it is pretty heavy is look at how he benched the earth for 5 days straight, he was not even challenged. The fact that it was so hard for him and martian manhunter to move this shows a lot about the weight of the ship.

All we know is it is much much more heavy than earth......

You forgot that he shot out a mega heat vision from the sun to earth that is a lot of distance an energy to use up then he had to fly a super speed to stop that ship.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@micah said:

@sodamyat said:

Thank you for noticing my comment :)

No problem :)

Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Extreme nerd-talk incoming

While it seems that the ship is certainly many times larger than Earth, your logic here is ridiculous. Simply copying and pasting an image of the Earth over the ship does not get an accurate representation of how large the ship is in relation. You'd have to account for perspective, but besides that, you're forgetting that both the ship and the earth are 3-dimensional objects. 3-dimensional objects don't just have 2-dimensional area, but 3-dimensional mass. By using flat images to fill the space of the ship, you're only finding out the area of the ship from that particular angle, not the actual site or mass of the ship in comparison to the Earth. If you did somehow have a three dimensional representation of the ship and repeated the measurement more accurately, it seems likely that it could be well over 100 times the Earth's mass.

Avatar image for heraldofganthet
HeraldofGanthet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat:

I didn't read that particular issue, but unless the ship has counter-gravitational abilities to keep it from tearing the Earth into shreds simply by it's proximity (like Mogo is capable of and Apokolips as well as evidenced by its [Apokolips'] appearance in our Solar System during the "Our Worlds At War" storyline).

If Brainiac's ship lacks this ability, then we have to assume that it was a very cool, but meaningless artistic device designed to convey upon us (the readers) the gravity of the situation as far as Brainiac's arrival was concerned.

Although this is just a theory on my part, and I gladly invite correction and/or rebuttal!;)

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

I don't see what the problem is here. He gave us a rough estimation of the size of Brainiac's ship, using the only reference he had to go on. I haven't read the issue myself but unless the size of the ship - something most people here probably never gave a second thought to - was stated in the issue, we'll likely never know the how big the ship actually is. The best we'll ever get is a guess-timation, and that's exactly what the OP provided. Which I thought was kinda cool, by the way.

VoloErgoMalus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By VoloErgoMalus

@rulerofthisuniverse said:

Extreme nerd-talk incoming

While it seems that the ship is certainly many times larger than Earth, your logic here is ridiculous. Simply copying and pasting an image of the Earth over the ship does not get an accurate representation of how large the ship is in relation. You'd have to account for perspective, but besides that, you're forgetting that both the ship and the earth are 3-dimensional objects. 3-dimensional objects don't just have 2-dimensional area, but 3-dimensional mass. By using flat images to fill the space of the ship, you're only finding out the area of the ship from that particular angle, not the actual site or mass of the ship in comparison to the Earth. If you did somehow have a three dimensional representation of the ship and repeated the measurement more accurately, it seems likely that it could be well over 100 times the Earth's mass.

Indeed, a 2D object has no mass, because it is infinitely thin. However, the object's volume does not tell you its mass. In terms of volume, it may well be 100x larger than Earth. This gives you one part of the equality:

density = mass/volume (because density is the number of mass units per volume units)

If Brainiac's ship is both 100x larger and 100x as massive as planet Earth, then:

(mass of ship) / (volume of ship) = (100 x (Earth's mass)) / (100 x (Earth's volume))

= (100 / 100) x ((Earth's mass) / (Earth's volume))

Therefore:

(mass of ship) / (volume of ship) = (Earth's mass) / (Earth's volume)

density of ship = density of Earth

The density of Earth is about 5540 kg/m^3.

The question is, what is Brainiac's ship made of. How hollow is it? In other words, how dense is it? If we have the density, and an approximate volume, we have the approximate mass. If we have the mass, we can calculate how screwed the Earth is due to Brainiac's gravitational field.

Force of gravity between the Earth and Brainiac's ship = (("G" gravitational force constant) x (mass of Earth) x (mass of ship)) / (radius from the two objects' centers of gravity)^2

Force = ((6.673 x 10^-11) x (5.98 x 10^24) x (mass of ship)) / (radius)^2

Force = (3.99 x 10^14) x (mass of ship) / (radius)^2

So we need the density and/or mass of the ship and the distance between the two. With these, we can figure out the gravitational force between the objects. We know the acceleration of the Earth into the ship if we divide that force by the mass of the Earth (Newton's second law).

Superman's got his work cut out for him. *hides under table*

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@sodamyat: brainiac's ship was behind the earth, not beside it

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@sodamyat: good attempt though not really accurate though if you take into account the thickness of the ship

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat: good attempt though not really accurate though if you take into account the thickness of the ship

thats why i said its a rough estimation.

CitizenSentry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

It doesn't matter if it was "40x bigger than earth" for all we know it could have the mass of a peanut.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It doesn't matter if it was "40x bigger than earth" for all we know it could have the mass of a peanut.

im focusing on the size compared to the earth. lets keep it focused to that please.

CitizenSentry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat said:

@citizensentry said:

im focusing on the size compared to the earth. lets keep it focused to that please.

No you're not, you're trying to use this for a debate that you were recently in.....

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat said:

@citizensentry said:

No you're not, you're trying to use this for a debate that you were recently in.....

I'm over it because there is no definitive way to know its mass unless we ask the writer. Now im more interested in finding out its size.

CitizenSentry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat said:

@citizensentry said:

@sodamyat said:

@citizensentry said:

I'm over it because there is no definitive way to know its mass unless we ask the writer. Now im more interested in finding out its size.

You can't. "unless we ask the writer".

VoloErgoMalus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By VoloErgoMalus

@sodamyat said:

@citizensentry said:

@sodamyat said:

@citizensentry said:

There's no way to know exactly. But if we can guess, based on what it's made of, and how hollow it is.

CitizenSentry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat said:

@citizensentry said:

@sodamyat said:

@citizensentry said:

There's no way to know exactly. But if we can guess, based on what it's made of.

I'm going to go with the classic Unobtanium....

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CitizenSentry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthmummy: ......we've put way too much thought into this, haven't we?

VoloErgoMalus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers