Brain vs Gene/DNA

IanIdyll1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By IanIdyll1

Many will say that the source of our superpower resides in the brain,- and that is it- but i disagree. I believe that superpowers stem from our genes/DNA and our brain just allows us to switch our power on and off. I imagine our brain like an empty box and our ability is the object we put in the box. In my opinion, in each body, our brain does not care which power we have because it is simply a light switch, like how a box does not care what is inside it. Therefore, I would say that our brain does not determine our ability but our genes/DNA do. So, i would also argue that if someone could switch powers they would have to alter their DNA and not their brain; and also our brain would not have any involvement in this decision because it doesn't care which power is running through the DNA. It works the same no matter which power.

What do you think? Do you agree or disagree?

Discuss!

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By AtPhantom

Well, we don't have superpowers, so neither?

IanIdyll1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By IanIdyll1

ok.....Perhaps i should've made that clear. In comic books that have powers like Marvel and DC and more. Do you agree or disagree, then?

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By dondave

@Bain: The powers in the gene and dna, that why people can be cloned

IanIdyll1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By IanIdyll1

@dondave: Ok, so you agree that powers reside in the gene and not the brain.

Hmm, then how would you explain Sylar's power? Sylar, from Heroes, has the ability to understand and manipulate patterns within complex systems by pulling them apart.

So he has the power to understand a person's power, however, he has to pull them apart, thus killing them. This has nothing to do with genes. Or does it?

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By dondave

@Bain: I thought were talking about comics here. I've never watched heroes

IanIdyll1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By IanIdyll1

@dondave: Heroes has a comic book version. And, sorry, i was just trying to keep this discussion going since you already agree with me that superpowers reside from the gene/DNA rather than the brain....

How about shapeshifters? If shapeshifters can change their appearance and DNA, then can't they copy someone else's powers too? And if so, why don't they lose their previous ability (shapeshifting) if they completely change their DNA to match someone else?

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By dondave

@Bain: I dont think they completely change their DNA when they shapeshift. For example If Martian Manhunter decided to shapeshifting into human he might only take on the suface characteristics like hair, skin and eyes, while internally he may still be the same

IanIdyll1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By IanIdyll1

@dondave: Sorry, the forum only allows me to post 5 posts per day....sigh...a bit annoying. Anyway.

Hmmm, that is a good point, however, i was curious about shapeshifters that could change their DNA to copy someone else's and whether the change would remove their ability because their powers stem from their original gene, and not in the brain, and thus should be lost once they adapt to another person's gene.

But, to reply to what you said, i don't fully agree that a shapeshifter, such as Martian Manhunter, only shapeshifts their surface appearances and not internally as well because how would you explain shapeshifters that shapeshift into animals. Some animals produce poison and webs that are only chemically produced due to their body's genes. How would shapeshifters such as Beast Boy use those traits if he/they do not alter their gene during the process? And, genes affect an animal and human's body structure and muscles and thus affect the animal's strength because a gorilla is obviously stronger than a human because of their muscles. Also, when shapeshifters, like Martian Manhunter, change into another human they are altering the size of their bone structure, therefore changing their internal parts, since, some people have a bigger ribcage than others or their heads or smaller or larger. And, their organs differ in size. All of these must be taken into account if the human size is different. Not everyone will have the same body structure as the shapeshifter. They must be altering their gene, but would this affect their power if their power stems from their original gene?