Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By greenarrowfan12

@jaken7 said:

How about Bill Finger?

Once again Batman's CO CREATOR gets no credit due.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bill Finger did most of the work actually. I read that Kane specified in his contract that he should be the only credited creator of batman so its all his fault finger gets no credit. He doesn't deserve crap.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@jayc1324 said:

Bill Finger did most of the work actually. I read that Kane specified in his contract that he should be the only credited creator of batman so its all his fault finger gets no credit. He doesn't deserve crap.

It's more complicated than that, but yes. That's the gist of it. Kane did do an interview years ago where he said he regretted the whole byline thing, so there's that I guess.

TehStranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TehStranger

@jaken7: lol he never gets any of the credit

No Caption Provided

Congrats to Kane I guess

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

@jayc1324: Kane was gonna have Batman looking like the OG Green Lantern lol. Finger wrote most of the stories, characters, and everything we love about Batman today. Kane just drew it and had the original Batman idea (which wasn't even Batman until Finger revised it). So ya I would agree with you there. Lol.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By deactivated-5c901e667a76c  Moderator

Sad but true fact: DC is legally prevented from giving Bill Finger credit for creating Batman.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xwraith said:

Sad but true fact: DC is legally prevented from giving Bill Finger credit for creating Batman.

Yup. Kane's last dig at a man who was in a grave at the time (if I'm recalling my dates correctly).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By deactivated-5c901e667a76c  Moderator

@jaken7 said:

@xwraith said:

Yup. Kane's last dig at a man who was in a grave at the time (if I'm recalling my dates correctly).

You do. Kane outlived Finger by 24 years (he died in 1998).

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By JakeN7

@xwraith said:

@jaken7 said:

@xwraith said:

You do. Kane outlived Finger by 24 years (he died in 1998).

Check this sh%t out.

"Bill was disheartened by the lack of major accomplishments in his career. He felt that he had not used his creative potential to its fullest and that success had passed him by."

- Bob Kane

"It seemed to me that Bill Finger has given out the impression that he and not myself created the 'Batman, as well as Robin and all the other leading villains and characters. This statement is fraudulent and entirely untrue.

The trouble with being a 'ghost' writer or artist is that you must remain rather anonymously without 'credit'. However, if one wants the 'credit', then one has to cease being a 'ghost' or follower and become a leader or innovator"

- Bob Kane, 1965

What a pompous, narcissistic, egotistical, delusional, lying asshat.

At least his conscience started to get the better of him in later years.

"In those days it was like, one artist and he had his name over it [the comic strip] — the policy of DC in the comic books was, if you can't write it, obtain other writers, but their names would never appear on the comic book in the finished version. So Bill never asked me for it [the byline] and I never volunteered — I guess my ego at that time. And I felt badly, really, when he [Finger] died."

- Bob Kane, 1989

Here's Jerry Robinson's (who also worked with Kane and Finger and had no small part in creating Batman himself) view on it.

"Bob made him more insecure, because while he slaved working on Batman, he wasn't sharing in any of the glory or the money that Bob began to make, which is why... [he was] going to leave [Kane's employ]. ... [Kane] should have credited Bill as co-creator, because I know; I was there. ... That was one thing I would never forgive Bob for, was not to take care of Bill or recognize his vital role in the creation of Batman. As with Siegel and Shuster, it should have been the same, the same co-creator credit in the strip, writer and artist."

- Jerry Robinson, 2005

I know I've seen all those quotes before, but I had mostly forgotten them. Puts things in perspective, doesn't it?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By deactivated-5c901e667a76c  Moderator

@jaken7: I couldn't help but laugh at the second one. And did you ever hear this story? (Read it from bottom to top)

No Caption Provided

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xwraith: Oh my god! The sheer audacity of that man! Glad to see that story had a happy ending. Steranko is now my hero.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7: I'm actually going to get to meet Steranko in November. I'll have to ask him about that.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SmashBrawler

@xwraith: I've read that before. No idea if it's legit or not but I want to believe it is.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By JakeN7

@xwraith: I've read that before. No idea if it's legit or not but I want to believe it is.

No Caption Provided