Black Kryptonians...

Ironshinobi88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So I'm working on this idea...and I'm wondering if I create a character who is a black Kryptonian albeit with a completely different powerset than Kal-el due to his different racial make up....would this be racist to imply the Black Kryptonians develop differently under a Yellow sun?

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Eh, maybe, depends on the person, I guess. I don't see why they'd have different powers though just because their race is different.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#3  Edited By Fallschirmjager

Given that we've seen black Kryptonians in various forms of media (I know Smallville for example had some) and they didn't have any special powers I think the reasoning would be a little weak.

Raciest however? Depends on how you write it. But as long as you aren't insulting anyone's race something like "I'm a black kryptonian and I have better powers than you cause I'm black" or vice versa, or whatever...I don't think so.

Just my thoughts.

Ironshinobi88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't want it to be labeled racist or anything

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Go for it.

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By WaveMotionCannon

Where were black Kryptonians shown in comics other than Superman from Earth 23? That's the bigger question.

Avatar image for deactivated-5faef67d08995
deactivated-5faef67d08995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Have more melanin in your skin so absorbing the energy from the sun in a different way is not racist.

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Why would you create a black kryptonian? We already have Mr. T.

ximpossibrux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@waezi2 said:

Ha!

Night Thrasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@ironshinobi88: Touchy but I think you can do it in a classy way that doesn't imply anything racist. As long as you don't imply that black Kryptonians are inferior in any way, then I'm sure it will come off the way you want it to.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b2e798651249
deactivated-5b2e798651249

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I could be wrong, but wasn't Nam-Ek black?

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By w0nd

No you'll be fine, it would be like Vathlo islands on krypton. At the end of the day someone will be offended you can't please everyone.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Make them faster and stronger but rhey always run from the GL's lol

Emperorb777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wavemotioncannon: There was literally one shown in I don't eemember the issue but Superman during H'el on earth. It shouwed thousands of white kryptonians and just one random black one.

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@ironshinobi88: Dude racism is hatred and you wanting to write a black kyrptonian is anything but racist so do not worry about it. If someone is offended they are looking to be offended

july16th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

ColonelRunAway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I remember at the beginning of the New 52 there was talk of all Kryptonians reacting differently to a yellow sun. But aside from a few odd moments in Supergirl, we haven't really seen that pan out.

Saying it's specifically an all-Black thing though... The way you're phrasing it I'm almost positive it would come out uncomfortable. It'd be going out of your way to single this character out as different because of his race, instead of just making a character who's different for reasons including his race.

Ideally, when writing a character of a race, gender, sexuality or so on that isn't your own, you should treat that the same way you would treat their home town. It affects everyone on some level, but it's probably not something they talk or think about all that often unless the subject is raised. Even if it's extremely important to them, it's their entire culture, it's their main motivation throughout the story, it probably won't be the one single defining factor for all of their traits. The same way Superman gets his values from growing up in Smallville, but he doesn't go around acting like a country stereotype, and his interest in journalism is completely unrelated to it.

Exploring a Kryptonian with different abilities, a different cultural background, or both is fine, regardless of race. But putting all the emphasis on "he's black therefore he's different" is walking a pretty dangerous line.

Blackdog2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Blackdog2009  Online
Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman issue 0, Morgan Freeman on Krypton check it out:

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By dondave

Where were black Kryptonians shown in comics other than Superman from Earth 23? That's the bigger question.

There's a Black Kryptonian in the New 52

Zijuun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Zijuun

@ironshinobi88 said:

So I'm working on this idea...and I'm wondering if I create a character who is a black Kryptonian albeit with a completely different powerset than Kal-el due to his different racial make up....would this be racist to imply the Black Kryptonians develop differently under a Yellow sun?

It sounds racist to me. He's having a different powerset due to his race. =/

Zijuun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haha and according to your logic wouldn't black kryptonians be more powerful comparitively to white kryptonians because they absorb the yellow sun radiation more (though that could be dependable)?

Nonethless if you can the expansion of your imagination, you should not come accross these conflicts (as such as racism in this case).

Cooldes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@logy5000: idts

Am i the only one who thinks "Nam-ek" is a dbz reference...?

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@july16th said:
No Caption Provided

That....actually does seem kinda racist. And it makes it seem that everyone who throws around that phrase just uses it freely.

I remember at the beginning of the New 52 there was talk of all Kryptonians reacting differently to a yellow sun. But aside from a few odd moments in Supergirl, we haven't really seen that pan out.

Saying it's specifically an all-Black thing though... The way you're phrasing it I'm almost positive it would come out uncomfortable. It'd be going out of your way to single this character out as different

because

of his race, instead of just making a character who's different for reasons

including

his race.

Ideally, when writing a character of a race, gender, sexuality or so on that isn't your own, you should treat that the same way you would treat their home town. It affects everyone on some level, but it's probably not something they talk or think about all that often unless the subject is raised. Even if it's extremely important to them, it's their entire culture, it's their main motivation throughout the story, it probably won't be the one single defining factor for all of their traits. The same way Superman gets his values from growing up in Smallville, but he doesn't go around acting like a country stereotype, and his interest in journalism is completely unrelated to it.

Exploring a Kryptonian with different abilities, a different cultural background, or both is fine, regardless of race. But putting all the emphasis on "he's black therefore he's different" is walking a pretty dangerous line.

this.

His race really shouldn't make a difference. They're both Kryptonians,and the idea was that every Kryptonian has the same powers. Even Daxamites (kryptonians that migrated to another planet) have the same powerset.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MatteoPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MatteoPG

@waezi2 said:

Lol!