#1 Posted by fodigg (6144 posts) - - Show Bio

Are there any black superheroes whose archetype includes a background in academics? Somebody pointed out to me that is was rare/non-existent on twitter the other day and now I'm curious, because I couldn't think of one at all.

It's hard enough to find cerebral black superheroes—meaning heroes who are predominantly known for their mental prowess instead of their physical prowess, so I'm not counting heroes like Black Panther—but even the ones we do have seem to be an engineer/inventor:

Are there any black superheroes with a background in academics (e.g., Professor Xavier)?

The only one I can think of is Black Lightning as a high school teacher, but he's not exactly what I had in mind.

#2 Posted by novi_homines (1330 posts) - - Show Bio

Can't think of any. But to be honest, alot of the major superheroes in general don't have backgrounds in academics.

#4 Posted by deaditegonzo (3624 posts) - - Show Bio

Can't think of any. But to be honest, alot of the major superheroes in general don't have backgrounds in academics.

Yeah, this. It reminds me of Asimov's Foundation Trilogy, where a big plot point is the differences between science used to influence the physical world and purely cerebral sciences. Basically, a character with a background in physical sciences makes more sense.

#5 Posted by The Stegman (23008 posts) - - Show Bio

Considering that Black Panther is also a genius level intellect...I would consider him as an academic.

#6 Edited by Cap10nate (2153 posts) - - Show Bio

Bill Foster was a genius before he was killed by the Thor clone in Civil War.

#7 Edited by Bierschneeman (3859 posts) - - Show Bio

If you are excluding genius level intellect strictly because they are not specifically a Professor.... There's an incredibly small portion of the superhero populous anyway.... off hand.... I can't think of any outside of the Xavier Institute, and peter parker. (I know there are some, just can't think of any)

that being said, I think you're trying to stir of the rascism topic for the sake of being edgy.

#8 Posted by MaccyD (3512 posts) - - Show Bio

Black Panther relies on his intellect more than his abilities I would say.

Lucius Fox and I'm not sure about his son-the new Batwing?

Cyborg's father-you never said superheroes

Isn't Storm a teacher at Wolverine's school-not too savvy on X-titles.

#9 Posted by Bierschneeman (3859 posts) - - Show Bio

@maccyd said:

Black Panther relies on his intellect more than his abilities I would say.

Lucius Fox and I'm not sure about his son-the new Batwing?

Cyborg's father-you never said superheroes

Isn't Storm a teacher at Wolverine's school-not too savvy on X-titles.

Yes... Yes she is... topic invalidated. Moving on

#10 Posted by fodigg (6144 posts) - - Show Bio

that being said, I think you're trying to stir of the rascism topic for the sake of being edgy.

Yes... Yes she is... topic invalidated. Moving on

So a simple question related to race is an attempt to be "edgy"? A single (dubious) example "invalidates" the question so the topic is dismissed out of hand? Yikes dude.

---

That aside, I suppose the answer is this:

I agree there aren't many academic superheroes period, so I suppose it's understandable there are no poc academic superheroes. That seems like an odd gap.

#11 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

You've named most of them. Here are some others that spring to mind:

• Erik Killmonger (Technical genius)
  • Nightshade (Geneticist)
  • Ultimate Falcon (Scientist)
  • Chemistro (Chemist)
  • Prowler (Not really an academic, but gifted with engineering)
  • Thunderball of the Wrecking Crew (Little known fact, but he's actually a physicist)
#12 Posted by JohnnyGat (1561 posts) - - Show Bio

Besides the ones you and veshark already mention the only one I can add not on either list is Prodigy fro the New X-men: Acaademy X and more recently Young Avengers.

#13 Posted by Wolverine08 (38524 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark said:

You've named most of them. Here are some others that spring to mind:

• Erik Killmonger (Technical genius)
  • Nightshade (Geneticist)
  • Ultimate Falcon (Scientist)
  • Chemistro (Chemist)
  • Prowler (Not really an academic, but gifted with engineering)
  • Thunderball of the Wrecking Crew (Little known fact, but he's actually a physicist)

This a pretty good list right here.

#14 Posted by LP (673 posts) - - Show Bio
#15 Posted by fodigg (6144 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark said:

Wow, really?

Besides the ones you and veshark already mention the only one I can add not on either list is Prodigy fro the New X-men: Acaademy X and more recently Young Avengers.

Oohh Prodigy. There's an interesting pick. Definitely a cerebral character and, as he points out, much of his knowledge is as "academic" as it gets: he has the knowledge but not the powers.

#16 Posted by Joygirl (18453 posts) - - Show Bio

"So, besides all these black academic geniuses, are there ANY black academic geniuses?"

#17 Edited by fodigg (6144 posts) - - Show Bio

@joygirl said:

"So, besides all these black academic geniuses, are there ANY black academic geniuses?"

Looking for a specific archetype. I get your point, I'm excluding certain characters and that may seem arbitrary, but why is asking about a specific archetype too picky?

#18 Posted by MysteriousUsername (1210 posts) - - Show Bio

The original Rocket Racer was skilled with engineering. At least enough so to make all his own equipment.

#19 Posted by lykopis (10756 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg said:
@johnnygat said:

Oohh Prodigy. There's an interesting pick. Definitely a cerebral character and, as he points out, much of his knowledge is as "academic" as it gets: he has the knowledge but not the powers.

Incredibly, he's been depowered due to M-Day and still considered incredibly intelligent in relation to other mutants. Prodigy is one of my favourites -- I hope he sticks around in Young Avengers.