• 165 results
#101 Posted by Rotten gun (2509 posts) - - Show Bio

Copy says:

"Gambler says:
""
The guy at my comic shop said that, that wasn't deadpool. Is he right?"

yes it is deadpool... in the comic he says "you can call me dead...." and doesn't get to finish the sentence. if it wasn't deadpool then the story doesn't make sence

#102 Posted by Kraven (517 posts) - - Show Bio

Forever says:

"Kraven says:
"Sadly yes. Even more sad that it's probably because of the 1980's Super Friends cartoon that most people today would recognize Aquaman. Namor is one of Marvel's oldest characters and deserves better."

It probably is that cartoon and the Aquaman cartoon that came before it that have solidified him in the public's minds. Even if Marvel had an Avengers cartoon, which I always thought they should have had, Namor wouldn't have likely been on it and would have only made the occasional episode when he attacked the surface world, like in Fantastic Four. Marvel just doesn't seem to care about Namor much as a character."

I'm hoping Namor gets more of a push this year. His mini series was really good and now that he's teamed up with Dr. Doom again, I can see them causing a lot of damage together.

@Cosmic Sentinel: Good call.
Post Edited:2008-01-11 16:31:51

#103 Posted by Forever (4332 posts) - - Show Bio

Cosmic Sentinel says:

"If you use that Wolverine/Lobo logic, any dark character becomes a Batman rip-off. Similarly, connecting GLs to Lensmen (which I admit to having never read the books) seems a bit obtuse. I think we need to draw a distinction between an *inspiration*, which Lensmen sound like from the synopsis I read, to a true rip-off."

I would agree with you about Wolverine/Lobo but then you get down to their similar hair styles, the cigars... there are a few things that make the characters more similar than just being antiheroes. Drawing a distinction between being inspired by and being a rip-off of would cause me to fall more along the lines that you seem to be indicating. You can definitely be an inspiration of one character without being much of a rip-off but I can also see how people would see Lobo as a rip-off of Wolverine (as much as any of the Marvel psuedo Supermen are rip-offs)

I've read the Lensmen books and it's very obvious that the Green Lantern Corps borrows from them. Again your distinction between inspiration and rip-off would come in to play but it depends on where you want to draw the line. It's not just a passing resemblance that the two bare.

#104 Posted by Forever (4332 posts) - - Show Bio

Kraven says:

"I'm hoping Namor gets more of a push this year. His mini series was really good and now that he's teamed up with Dr. Doom again, I can see them causing a lot of damage together."

It would be fantastic if he got a huge push. I've always felt that Namor was underused.

#105 Posted by Alexander Anderson (4030 posts) - - Show Bio

When it comes to rip-offs of Superman, Hyperion is probably the worst for me. Both Sentry and Gladiator seem to have developed their own identities...
Post Edited:2008-01-11 17:15:52

#106 Posted by Forever (4332 posts) - - Show Bio

Alexander Anderson says:

"When it comes to rip-offs of Superman, Hyperion is probably to worst for me. Both Sentry and Gladiator seem to have developed their own identities..."

I would agree with that.

#107 Posted by Methias (437 posts) - - Show Bio

Forever says:

"Alexander Anderson says:
"When it comes to rip-offs of Superman, Hyperion is probably to worst for me. Both Sentry and Gladiator seem to have developed their own identities..."
I would agree with that."

Personally I like Sentry more than original supes. His story is cooler to me. Schizophrenics with super powers FTW.

#108 Posted by Alexander Anderson (4030 posts) - - Show Bio

Methias says:

"Forever says:
"Alexander Anderson says:
I would agree with that."
Personally I like Sentry more than original supes. His story is cooler to me. Schizophrenics with super powers FTW."

I agree. I like his look and I like his backstory. He's not a carbon copy, just a new take on the Superman concept.

#109 Posted by riv1 (78 posts) - - Show Bio

Sentry.

Never bought into his "origin" as reported by Wizard, and honestly, this is just a bad, BAD version of Superman. Homages i can understand, but this, this character is an abomination. A Punch-his-eyeball-out-please-Hulk abomination.

#110 Posted by Rotten gun (2509 posts) - - Show Bio

Alexander Anderson says:

"When it comes to rip-offs of Superman, Hyperion is probably the worst for me. Both Sentry and Gladiator seem to have developed their own identities...
Post Edited:2008-01-11 17:15:52"

hyperion... as far as undies over your pants go... his are the worst

#111 Posted by symbiote5 (2181 posts) - - Show Bio

i would say the biggest ripoff is aquaman or toxin

#112 Posted by Apparition (11349 posts) - - Show Bio

another aquaman hater. why him?

#113 Posted by symbiote5 (2181 posts) - - Show Bio

well i just dont think there is enough to know about aquaman and i think he is a really boring character.

#114 Posted by Apparition (11349 posts) - - Show Bio

he is kinda boring, at least imo.

#115 Posted by riv1 (78 posts) - - Show Bio

Aquaman's a great character. Peter David did a great job with him. Obvious comparisons to Namor aside, the two really have seperate identities, attitudes and motivations.

#116 Posted by Kraven (517 posts) - - Show Bio

riv1 says:

"Aquaman's a great character. Peter David did a great job with him. Obvious comparisons to Namor aside, the two really have seperate identities, attitudes and motivations."

They have different attitudes, but Namor's motivations have had major shifts over the years and I'm sure there's a lot of similarities there.

I'm not trying to squash Aquaman or his fans, but come on, imagine you're Peter David saying:

"I'm going to create a character who is the ruler of Atlantis. He will have a human father and an atlantian mother. This hybrid geneology will give him special powers. He will be able to survive on land and in the ocean. He will have advanced strength but will weaken outside of water. He will be a hero but will sometimes clash with the surface world over issues like the use of the seas and the environment. I'm so glad I have this completely original idea."

#117 Posted by warlock360 (28050 posts) - - Show Bio

rofl

#118 Posted by Methias (437 posts) - - Show Bio

Kraven says:

"riv1 says:
"Aquaman's a great character. Peter David did a great job with him. Obvious comparisons to Namor aside, the two really have seperate identities, attitudes and motivations."
They have different attitudes, but Namor's motivations have had major shifts over the years and I'm sure there's a lot of similarities there. I'm not trying to squash Aquaman or his fans, but come on, imagine you're Peter David saying: "I'm going to create a character who is the ruler of Atlantis. He will have a human father and an atlantian mother. This hybrid geneology will give him special powers. He will be able to survive on land and in the ocean. He will have advanced strength but will weaken outside of water. He will be a hero but will sometimes clash with the surface world over issues like the use of the seas and the environment. I'm so glad I have this completely original idea.""

You know, those are probably the exact thoughts that ran through his head.

#119 Posted by Valkaad (2589 posts) - - Show Bio

I LOVE Gladiator, but he may be the biggest rip-off character. The emblem on his chest is even reminiscent of supermans.

#120 Posted by Sling Shot (3560 posts) - - Show Bio

Some characters are obvious ripoffs on purpose, as either an homage or mockery. And others are just stealing. Whatever Marvel or DC's reasons for making analogs of characters the bottom line is its stealing, unless after introduction the character being copied takes such a drastic or individual detour from who it is patterned after that it stands out on it's own..........even then its a copycat.

#121 Posted by Akira Overdrive (10077 posts) - - Show Bio

Sentry

Though i like him.

#122 Posted by Valkaad (2589 posts) - - Show Bio

Colt Python says:

"Akira Overdrive says:
"Sentry Though i like him."
Sentry isn't that big of a rip-off."

I agree I don't see who sentry is a rip-off of? I personally don't like sentry but I don't think he is a rip-off either

#123 Posted by T.J. Magnum (27685 posts) - - Show Bio

aqua man is a rip-off of namor and deadpool is rip-off of deathstroke, but i like both of them

#124 Posted by Phoenix God (389 posts) - - Show Bio

One of the things that anger me is the female copies of popular male characters. Not that I don't like the characters, it is just that I can not think of a male character being a copy from a female character. And even if there is such a character, there are so many the other way I find it annoying; they just take the male character and add girl or woman to it.

Can you think of a male character that is a blatant copy of a female character?

#125 Posted by T.J. Magnum (27685 posts) - - Show Bio

Phoenix God says:

"One of the things that anger me is the female copies of popular male characters. Not that I don't like the characters, it is just that I can not think of a male character being a copy from a female character. And even if there is such a character, there are so many the other way I find it annoying; they just take the male character and add girl or woman to it. Can you think of a male character that is a blatant copy of a female character? "

no not really,and i agree with you

#126 Posted by DEADPOOL (2709 posts) - - Show Bio

Copy says:

"Gambler says:
""

Lol. Deadpool was orignally a rip off. (And their are still some rip offs now like they're names) But deadpool did develop into his own character which is different from slade. Slade=serious, deadpool= Joker"

Deadpool started off as a parody of Deathstroke.

Anyway, Deathstroke is a rip-off of Captain America.

#127 Posted by J Rex (291 posts) - - Show Bio

Phoenix God says:

"One of the things that anger me is the female copies of popular male characters. Not that I don't like the characters, it is just that I can not think of a male character being a copy from a female character. And even if there is such a character, there are so many the other way I find it annoying; they just take the male character and add girl or woman to it.Can you think of a male character that is a blatant copy of a female character? "

catman off of catwoman

#128 Posted by Buckshot (18915 posts) - - Show Bio

Catman is more like Batman than Catwoman.

#129 Posted by Hellstormer (284 posts) - - Show Bio

Every character Liefeld has created save Cable...I think.

And Catman appeared WAY before Catwoman I believe. He's so old he fell into Public Domain with Bulletman (I think that's his name).
Post Edited:2008-01-14 21:41:03

#130 Posted by Alpha (7331 posts) - - Show Bio

Not sure who came first but Eternals and the New Gods

#131 Posted by Rdeegvainl (775 posts) - - Show Bio

Gambler says:

""

How the hell do you stab someone with a chipmunk?

#132 Posted by Doomhunter (289 posts) - - Show Bio

Kraven says:

"speedlgt says:
"I always thought that tony stark was a ripoff of bruce wayne! Not that Ironman is rip off of batman but there identies"

Yeah, I agree. Except Bruce pretends to be a foolhardy-thrill seaking-drunken-playboy-womanizer to protect his identity where as Tony Stark actually is a foolhardy-thrill seeking-drunken-playboy-womanizer."

haha...true it is...

#133 Posted by Alpha (7331 posts) - - Show Bio

Doomhunter says:

"Kraven says:
"speedlgt says:
"I always thought that tony stark was a ripoff of bruce wayne! Not that Ironman is rip off of batman but there identies"
Yeah, I agree. Except Bruce pretends to be a foolhardy-thrill seaking-drunken-playboy-womanizer to protect his identity where as Tony Stark actually is a foolhardy-thrill seeking-drunken-playboy-womanizer."
haha...true it is... "

Thats kinda the persona of all fictional rich pretty boys. nothing new.

#134 Posted by Kraven (517 posts) - - Show Bio

Hellstormer says:

"Every character Liefeld has created save Cable...I think."

LOL, Liefeld is so horrible. He destroys everything he touches. ROFL!

#135 Posted by J Rex (291 posts) - - Show Bio

Hellstormer says:

"Every character Liefeld has created save Cable...I think. And Catman appeared WAY before Catwoman I believe. He's so old he fell into Public Domain with Bulletman (I think that's his name).
Post Edited:2008-01-14 21:41:03"

nah sorry about that but catwoman was first. She first appeared in 1940 while catman appeared in 1963

#136 Posted by J Rex (291 posts) - - Show Bio

Buckshot says:

"Catman is more like Batman than Catwoman."

i think it may be a combo of the two. make catwoman a man but then with the bat's personality, etc..

#137 Posted by Adidas Demon (169 posts) - - Show Bio

Kraven is a rip-off of Joe Quesada.

#138 Posted by warlock360 (28050 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman... hes the Superman(boy)-Prime Rip-off

#139 Posted by Sling Shot (3560 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor-girl sucks in concept.I haven't read much about her but had an instant aversion upon sight. Namor needs a humungous push this year.But then true Namor fans like myself will have to deal with bandwagoners..but it's the price paid for more exposure.

#140 Posted by Sling Shot (3560 posts) - - Show Bio

The Atlanteans could develop the tech (in the final hour) to detect the Skrull invasion and save the surface world. Led by none other than Namor who defeated Dr. Doom after he attempted a betrayal.

#141 Posted by Kraven (517 posts) - - Show Bio

Adidas Demon says:

"Kraven is a rip-off of Joe Quesada."

;)

@SlingShot:

Sadly yes, the band wagoners will come and so will a million "Namor Vs. Superboy, Namor Vs. Superman prime, Namor Vs. Kingdom Come Captain Marvel, Namor and Winter Soldier Vs. Batman & Nightwing" battles on the vine. I'm just hoping Marvel does something with Namor living in Latveria. I want to see the two of them kick some @$$!

#142 Posted by Hellstormer (284 posts) - - Show Bio

Alpha says:

"Not sure who came first but Eternals and the New Gods"

Jack Kirby made them both so it can't really be a rip-off.

Rdeegvainl says:

"Gambler says:
""

How the hell do you stab someone with a chipmunk?"

With the pointy end, duh.

J Rex says:

"Buckshot says:
"Catman is more like Batman than Catwoman."

i think it may be a combo of the two. make catwoman a man but then with the bat's personality, etc.."

Well the original Catman was kinda campy and he had a sidekick named Kitten (I think), but the DC Catman kinda distanced himself from Batman in the last couple years (Green Arrow and Villains United).

#143 Posted by donkrieg76543 (628 posts) - - Show Bio

Thing was a ripp off of the Hulk

#144 Posted by Apparition (11349 posts) - - Show Bio

don krieg is the biggest rip off ever! i mean how many shark pirates do we have to have?!?!?!?!?

#145 Posted by Ms. Invisible (3292 posts) - - Show Bio

Apparition says:

"don krieg is the biggest rip off ever! i mean how many shark pirates do we have to have?!?!?!?!?"

Shark pirates. You see them everywhere!

#146 Posted by T.J. Magnum (27685 posts) - - Show Bio

shark pirates ? next there be warewolf mummys

#147 Posted by Apparition (11349 posts) - - Show Bio

yeah! they're a dime a dozen!

#148 Posted by White Knight (36 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know if this was mentioned...

but the X-Men (one of the most popular teams in comic books) were a rip-off of the Doom Patrol (a team nobody remembers)

#149 Posted by donkrieg76543 (628 posts) - - Show Bio

Apparition says:

"don krieg is the biggest rip off ever! i mean how many shark pirates do we have to have?!?!?!?!?"

My images of the Shark pirate is called Arlong

#150 Posted by donkrieg76543 (628 posts) - - Show Bio

The Simpson's Bart-Man is a rip off of Bat-Man