• 165 results
#51 Posted by CanadianWolverine (417 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm glad the different versions of Superman got a mention. I think it can be a good trail to follow, if a character is popular enough to sell comics, its probably going to get ripped off.

Spiderman probably has his fair share of rip offs.

Various Super Teams seem to have a trend in mimicing each other.

Best Rip Off goes to the series Hyperion is in, what was that called again. They had like rip offs of what seemed like just about anyone and everyone. I need to try to find a reputable place to buy that online sometime.

Actually, I'm a little surprised there hasn't been a mention of Captain America rip offs or Wolverine rip offs yet. Maybe just because they are blatantly obvious or remain within the same comic universe or something?

#52 Posted by Rotten gun (2509 posts) - - Show Bio

are you kidding me? no one has said the biggest rip off character of all time....

#53 Posted by Kraven (517 posts) - - Show Bio

Rotten gun says:

"are you kidding me? no one has said the biggest rip off character of all time....#DEADPOOL"

Who's he a rip-off of, Wolverine? I think maybe he's a combo of a few characters, but in Deadpool's defense, that's as original as things get anymore. It's funny that you named your avatar character as the biggest rip-off.

#54 Posted by Hawk (15833 posts) - - Show Bio

Ok I'll just piss people of with....Teen Titans are rip off of JLA......or maybe that's the idea

#55 Posted by Rotten gun (2509 posts) - - Show Bio

Kraven says:

"Rotten gun says:
"are you kidding me? no one has said the biggest rip off character of all time.... #DEADPOOL"
Who's he a rip-off of, Wolverine? I think maybe he's a combo of a few characters, but in Deadpool's defense, that's as original as things get anymore. It's funny that you named your avatar character as the biggest rip-off."

no not wolverine... DCs deathstroke... here are some similarities... DPs (deadpool) name is wade wilson, DSs (deathstroke) name is slade wilson, both assassins, both have been scientifically inhanced. both immortal. similar powers. use similar weapons. they look similar. in one of the dc stories a deathstroke from another dimension tries to refer to himself as deadpool. DS has a tech guy named squirrel (i think its squirrel) and DP has a tech guy named weasel. DP in some of his letters pages (where he replies to your letters rather than the writers) has refered to deathstroke as being himself in DC

#56 Posted by Odyssey_Dawn (84674 posts) - - Show Bio

#57 Posted by Rotten gun (2509 posts) - - Show Bio

deadpool

deathstroke

#58 Posted by Copy (8336 posts) - - Show Bio

Gambler says:

""

Lol. Deadpool was orignally a rip off. (And their are still some rip offs now like they're names) But deadpool did develop into his own character which is different from slade. Slade=serious, deadpool= Joker

#59 Posted by Rotten gun (2509 posts) - - Show Bio

Gambler says:

""

thanks...looking everywhere for that lol

#60 Posted by Kraven (517 posts) - - Show Bio

Post Deleted.

#61 Posted by Kraven (517 posts) - - Show Bio

Rotten gun says:

"Kraven says:
"Rotten gun says:
"are you kidding me? no one has said the biggest rip off character of all time.... #DEADPOOL"
Who's he a rip-off of, Wolverine? I think maybe he's a combo of a few characters, but in Deadpool's defense, that's as original as things get anymore. It's funny that you named your avatar character as the biggest rip-off."

no not wolverine... DCs deathstroke... here are some similarities... DPs (deadpool) name is wade wilson, DSs (deathstroke) name is slade wilson, both assassins, both have been scientifically inhanced. both immortal. similar powers. use similar weapons. they look similar. in one of the dc stories a deathstroke from another dimension tries to refer to himself as deadpool. DS has a tech guy named squirrel (i think its squirrel) and DP has a tech guy named weasel. DP in some of his letters pages (where he replies to your letters rather than the writers) has refered to deathstroke as being himself in DC"

Wow, you're right! I wasn't thinking of DC characters.

Still, I always thought it was cool that he was another product of the weapon X project.

Marvel handled that well, they didn't just use it for Wolverine but didn't over do it with dozens of weapon X creations.

But then again...Quesada still has lots of time to ruin it. LOL

#62 Posted by Sling Shot (3560 posts) - - Show Bio

IMage characters: ripclaw (wolvie) cyblade (psilocke)Fighting American (Cap)

Venom (Spidey). A whole bunch more.

#63 Posted by Static Shock (47329 posts) - - Show Bio

Buckshot says:

"Might be out of place here, but I don't think Static's a rip-off of another. Just because they share a power (and race) doesn't make one a rip-off. "
I never said it was about the race. It wouldn't be any different if I put Lightning Lad instead. Clearly, it's the powers. Hyperion shares the same powers as Superman, and apparently, he's a rip-off.
Post Edited:2008-01-07 20:55:26
#64 Posted by Eternal Chaos (22990 posts) - - Show Bio

Rotten gun says:

"deadpool deathstroke "

They look so different. I can't see how DP's a rip off.

#65 Posted by Andferne (38808 posts) - - Show Bio

Gambler says:

""

lmao

#66 Posted by Apparition (11349 posts) - - Show Bio

mr. majestic, midnighter, lobo, mongul, captain marvel, supergirl or mary marvel (whichever one came second), green lantern corps, aquaman...

#67 Posted by Eternal Chaos (22990 posts) - - Show Bio

Apparition says:

"mr. majestic, midnighter, lobo, mongul, captain marvel, supergirl or mary marvel (whichever one came second), green lantern corps, aquaman..."

Which Marvel?

#68 Posted by Apparition (11349 posts) - - Show Bio

the dc one. i'm showing that i'm not a one sided dc fan

#69 Posted by Eternal Chaos (22990 posts) - - Show Bio

Apparition says:

"the dc one. i'm showing that i'm not a one sided dc fan"

Oh alright.

#70 Posted by Apparition (11349 posts) - - Show Bio

what have you been up to ec?

#71 Posted by zee crusher (8997 posts) - - Show Bio

Copy says:

"Didn't aquaman come before namor?"

Namor was the first person of marvel period lol and the longest running then the human torch and when he got boring they decided to add the ff4 then he got cool.

#72 Posted by Hawk (15833 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh just came to me U.S. Agent

#73 Posted by Hawk (15833 posts) - - Show Bio

So....he "took over for cap." Looks just like him. Same powers. and Union Jack...

#74 Posted by Hawk (15833 posts) - - Show Bio

sure you can....it's just being lazy.....hobgoblin, green goblin. Lazy rip off

#75 Posted by Kraven (517 posts) - - Show Bio

Hawk says:

"So....he "took over for cap." Looks just like him. Same powers. and Union Jack..."

Yes, USAgent was created to replace Cap at a time when Cap retired. It was more of a plot device than a rip-off.

Union Jack is an attempt of Marvel's to diversify their characters. They try to have super heroes, especially 'Captain Americas' from other countries. Other examples include Guardian from Canada and Silver Samurai from Japan.

#76 Posted by fesak (7040 posts) - - Show Bio

zee crusher says:

"Copy says:
"Didn't aquaman come before namor?"

Namor was the first person of marvel period lol and the longest running then the human torch and when he got boring they decided to add the ff4 then he got cool."

This is really wrong.

Technically Ka-Zar was the first marvel character since he was first published in 1933. Though it can be argued wether this counts.

Marvel Comics #1 was published in 1939 and the Human Torch story is the first story, then a story with The Angel and then comes the Namor story. So anyway, Namor is not the first Marvel Character.

Secondly the golden age Torch was an android, and is not the same as Johnny Storm.

Also Aquaman was first published in 1941, so if i'm correct Namor precedes him by almost two years.

#77 Posted by fesak (7040 posts) - - Show Bio

Buckshot says:

"Static Shock says:
"Static is a rip-off of Black Lightning. Obviously. But, it's nothing, since every superhero is a rip-off of another, IMO."

Might be out of place here, but I don't think Static's a rip-off of another. Just because they share a power (and race) doesn't make one a rip-off. "

The same can be said of Sentry. I don't see how he's a Superman rip-off. OK both have capes, flight and super-strength, but there's hundred of characters like that. Superman is an alien, Sentry has the whole multiple personalities and mental problems thing, plus telepathy. Superman has super-ventriloquism and super-counting and other "super" powers. Seems different enough for me.

#78 Posted by KnightlyVengence (302 posts) - - Show Bio

Kay so did anyone have to watch The Buckleman in drivers ed? Total rip off of Batman... hehehe. Great parody, a definate must see. ;)

#79 Posted by Static Shock (47329 posts) - - Show Bio

fesak says:

"Superman has super-ventriloquism and super-counting and other "super" powers. Seems different enough for me."

Those powers were possessed by Pre-Crisis Superman. The current Superman was retconned in 1986 without those powers. He no longer has them.

#80 Posted by Static Shock (47329 posts) - - Show Bio

fesak says:

"I don't know much Superman history, but then the current Superman must be a ripoff of... Hyperion. Haahaa!"

LOL. :P

#81 Posted by fesak (7040 posts) - - Show Bio

Static Shock says:

"fesak says:
"Superman has super-ventriloquism and super-counting and other "super" powers. Seems different enough for me."

Those powers were possessed by Pre-Crisis Superman. The current Superman was retconned in 1986 without those powers. He no longer has them."

I don't know much Superman history, but then the current Superman must be a ripoff of... Hyperion. Haahaa!

#82 Posted by Cosmic Sentinel (3749 posts) - - Show Bio

Hyperion and Sentry were deliberate clones of Superman. In both cases Marvel acknowledged where they came from. In Hyperion's case, his entire team (the Squadron Supreme) are based on DCU heroes. It's not technically a rip off if you acknowledge your sources. In the Sentry's case, it was part of the hoax that he was Marvel's answer to Superman created before the Fantastic Four and then mysteriously forgotten by everyone.

Apparition says:

"mr. majestic, midnighter, lobo, mongul, captain marvel, supergirl or mary marvel (whichever one came second), green lantern corps, aquaman..."

Who are Mongul, Lobo and the Green Lantern Corps clones of? Mary Marvel and Supergirl are female versions of Captain Marvel and Superman. National filed a lawsuit against Fawcett because they claimed CM was a rip off (of Superman). The case was never totally decided as Fawcett settled out of court.

#83 Posted by Kraven (517 posts) - - Show Bio

Cosmic Sentinel says:

"Hyperion and Sentry were deliberate clones of Superman. In both cases Marvel acknowledged where they came from. In Hyperion's case, his entire team (the Squadron Supreme) are based on DCU heroes. It's not technically a rip off if you acknowledge your sources. In the Sentry's case, it was part of the hoax that he was Marvel's answer to Superman created before the Fantastic Four and then mysteriously forgotten by *everyone*.Apparition says:

Who are Mongul, Lobo and the Green Lantern Corps clones of? Mary Marvel and Supergirl are female versions of Captain Marvel and Superman. National filed a lawsuit against Fawcett because they claimed CM was a rip off (of Superman). The case was never totally decided as Fawcett settled out of court."

Most of these were covered within this thread already.

Mongul is a rip-off of Thanos but Thanos was a rip-off of Dark Side (sp?)

Captain Marvel & any of his family are direct rip-offs of Superman. The fact that it went to court and Fawcett paid a settlement makes it one of the biggest super hero rip-offs in history.

Ok, I just thought of another rip-off: Black Mask. He is a rip-off of the Red Skull.

#84 Posted by Cosmic Sentinel (3749 posts) - - Show Bio

Kraven says:

"Most of these were covered within this thread already. Mongul is a rip-off of Thanos but Thanos was a rip-off of Dark Side (sp?) Captain Marvel & any of his family are direct rip-offs of Superman. The fact that it went to court and Fawcett paid a settlement makes it one of the biggest super hero rip-offs in history. "

I wouldn't have said Mongul was a rip off of Thanos (though Thanos is clearly based on Darkseid), can you rip off yourself (they have the same creator, Jim Starlin)?

I was addressing that Supergirl and Mary Marvel aren't rip offs (at least not of each other) which was implied in the quote in my previous post. The judge in the CM case had ruled that CM himself wasn't infringing on Superman, but his feats and stories did. He then ordered a retrial. Fawcett had to settle though, they were going broke and CM wasn't selling anyway. I would agree that he is similar enough to be considered though.

I'm still not sure who Lobo and GL are supposed to be clones of?

#85 Posted by Odyssey_Dawn (84674 posts) - - Show Bio

X-23=Wolverine

#86 Posted by Static Shock (47329 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman = Moon Knight/Night Thrasher/Black Panther

#87 Posted by Rotten gun (2509 posts) - - Show Bio

another reason deadpool is the ultimate rip... deadpool ripped off deathstroke and to make fun of that deadpool was cloned as agent X... so the rip off has a rip off!

#88 Posted by Hawk (15833 posts) - - Show Bio

Kraven says:

"Hawk says:
"So....he "took over for cap." Looks just like him. Same powers. and Union Jack..."
Yes, USAgent was created to replace Cap at a time when Cap retired. It was more of a plot device than a rip-off. Union Jack is an attempt of Marvel's to diversify their characters. They try to have super heroes, especially 'Captain Americas' from other countries. Other examples include Guardian from Canada and Silver Samurai from Japan."

Sounds like a rip to me...lol

#89 Posted by Rotten gun (2509 posts) - - Show Bio

if you count usagent then you need to count all the green lanterns and the flash's etc

#90 Posted by Hawk (15833 posts) - - Show Bio

Rotten gun says:

"if you count usagent then you need to count all the green lanterns and the flash's etc"

Ok sounds good to me

#91 Posted by Rotten gun (2509 posts) - - Show Bio

Hawk says:

"Rotten gun says:
"if you count usagent then you need to count all the green lanterns and the flash's etc"
Ok sounds good to me "

:)

#92 Posted by Hawk (15833 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm very much a traditionalist......don't like big changes like that.....One Flash please

#93 Posted by Kraven (517 posts) - - Show Bio

Someone made a "Pitt" forum so I had to come and add Pitt to the list because he was intentionally created as a rip-off of the Hulk.

A lot of great rip-offs have been mentioned in this thread. I still think Aquaman shines as the biggest rip-off of them all. What really ticks me off about it is that if you ask the average person on the street, they will have never heard of Namor and will think he is the rip-off. So sad.

#94 Posted by Wolfenstein (781 posts) - - Show Bio

Sentry.

#95 Posted by Forever (4332 posts) - - Show Bio

Cosmic Sentinel says:

"Hyperion and Sentry were deliberate clones of Superman. In both cases Marvel acknowledged where they came from. In Hyperion's case, his entire team (the Squadron Supreme) are based on DCU heroes. It's not technically a rip off if you acknowledge your sources."

For that matter, so are Gladiator and the Shiar Imperial Guard (Legion of Super Heroes).

"Who are Mongul, Lobo and the Green Lantern Corps clones of? Mary Marvel and Supergirl are female versions of Captain Marvel and Superman. National filed a lawsuit against Fawcett because they claimed CM was a rip off (of Superman). The case was never totally decided as Fawcett settled out of court."

Mongul would be a clone of Thanos, Lobo is a Wolverine clone raised up to Superman levels, the Green Lantern Corps would come from the Lensman series. I dont think that last one is in the spirit of what we're discussing but she was probably just naming whatever came to mind.

I would be inclined to agree with the Marvels being ripoffs too. Most of these others havent been decided in court either so you dont have to have that to determine whether it's a ripoff or not.

Kraven says:

"What really ticks me off about it is that if you ask the average person on the street, they will have never heard of Namor and will think he is the rip-off. So sad."

Popularity beats truth apparently.

#96 Posted by Kraven (517 posts) - - Show Bio

Forever says:

Kraven says:

"What really ticks me off about it is that if you ask the average person on the street, they will have never heard of Namor and will think he is the rip-off. So sad."

Popularity beats truth apparently."

Sadly yes. Even more sad that it's probably because of the 1980's Super Friends cartoon that most people today would recognize Aquaman. Namor is one of Marvel's oldest characters and deserves better.

#97 Posted by Forever (4332 posts) - - Show Bio

Kraven says:

"Sadly yes. Even more sad that it's probably because of the 1980's Super Friends cartoon that most people today would recognize Aquaman. Namor is one of Marvel's oldest characters and deserves better."

It probably is that cartoon and the Aquaman cartoon that came before it that have solidified him in the public's minds. Even if Marvel had an Avengers cartoon, which I always thought they should have had, Namor wouldn't have likely been on it and would have only made the occasional episode when he attacked the surface world, like in Fantastic Four. Marvel just doesn't seem to care about Namor much as a character.

#98 Posted by Rotten gun (2509 posts) - - Show Bio

apparently Darth Vader got alot of his styling from Dr Doom

#99 Posted by Copy (8336 posts) - - Show Bio

Gambler says:

""

The guy at my comic shop said that, that wasn't deadpool. Is he right?

#100 Posted by Cosmic Sentinel (3749 posts) - - Show Bio

@Copy: I believe it's a parody of Deadpool.

@Forever:

Cosmic Sentinel says:

"I wouldn't have said Mongul was a rip off of Thanos (though Thanos is clearly based on Darkseid), can you rip off yourself (they have the same creator, Jim Starlin)?"

If you use that Wolverine/Lobo logic, any dark character becomes a Batman rip-off. Similarly, connecting GLs to Lensmen (which I admit to having never read the books) seems a bit obtuse. I think we need to draw a distinction between an inspiration, which Lensmen sound like from the synopsis I read, to a true rip-off.