Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#1  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

CBR News: How did you both get involved with this comic? It seems like a perfect fit, but was it something you pitched to BOOM!, Eric, or something they talked to you about?

Eric Powell: BOOM! approached me. They very hesitantly approached me about it. It almost seemed as if there were feeling me out about it before they asked. I don't do a lot of work outside of my own projects, but it was one of those that I was like, "Uhm, Jack Burton? Yeah, I could write the shit out of him."

EXCLUSIVE: Eric Powell (L) and Joe Quinones' covers for "Big Trouble in Little CHina" #1

Brian Churilla: [Editor] Ian Brill hired me. I think he was a fan of "The Secret History of DB Cooper."

Eric, were the continued adventures of Jack Burton already kicking around in your head, or did they just start to take shape after the book was pitched to you?

Powell: I had a definite vibe that I wanted to go for when they approached me with it. I really wanted to focus on Jack and the Pork Chop Express. He's a trucker. He gets around. He's got some stories to tell.

Do you remember watching "Big Trouble In Little China" for the first time? What was the experience like?

Powell: It was in the mix of movies, like the "Road Warrior," "Conan the Barbarian" and "The Thing" that were in constant rotation on weekend video rentals when I was a kid. I watched it so many times that I can't really remember the first time. But I'm not sure there has been a year since it has come out that I haven't watched it.

Churilla: I think I was in junior high. I dunno. I was always a huge fan. All that early Carpenter stuff is genius.

A lot of people have similar experiences to that and are really excited about the comic. What can you tell us about the continuation of that story in the comics?

Powell: It takes place in 1986. No Jack Burton on the internet with a cel phone crap. Yes -- it takes place in 1986 and picks up from the very last shot of the film. The rest I'll leave a surprise.

John Carpenter has said several times that Jack Burton is actually the sidekick of the movie, for the most part. Is that an element you'll carry over into the comics or will he be more of a full-on hero?

Powell: Jack definitely has the lead role of the comic -- not sure I'd call him a hero.

Aside from Jack, what characters from the film will be showing up in this series?

Powell: Egg plays a major role. So does a character from the film that I think will surprise some people. We've also have a few new characters who pop up and aren't happy with ol' Jack.

Was it intimidating adding new characters to this beloved mythos?

Powell: No, "Big Trouble" has a very distinctive feel. I work a lot off of instinct and how the thing makes me feel. If I threw a character in there that wasn't clicking in that world, I think it would stand out like a sore thumb. This isn't an intimidating project. It's fun! I'm not entering in with any reservation.

Read more at: EXCLUSIVE: Powell & Churilla Get Into "Big Trouble In Little China" - Comic Book Resources

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Guardiandevil83

This. Will. Be. Epictacular!

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By IrishX

It picks up where the movie left off and is continuing the adventures of Jack Burton. That is just what I was wondering about when it first got announced. Awesome news.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Guardiandevil83
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: Yeah dude, Lighting was terrifying! That hallway scene..man. Then I played Mortal Kombat and was like.."heh, lighting guys ain't so bad." Then I researched the real Raiden..Then I got scared again. Lol. Yes I do know they ain't the same guy. Both are evil though. Eviiiiilll!!

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: Yeah dude, Lighting was terrifying! That hallway scene..man. Then I played Mortal Kombat and was like.."heh, lighting guys ain't so bad." Then I researched the real Raiden..Then I got scared again. Lol. Yes I do know they ain't the same guy. Both are evil though. Eviiiiilll!!

Haha I can't say anything, I used to be afraid of Sharky and George

Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was one of my favorite as a kid in the 80's! I havent seen this in YEARS

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#13 SC  Moderator

Thank you for posting this Jonny_Anonymous!!

Great covers!