Poll: Best Writer? (48 votes)

Alan Moore 17%
Neil Gaiman 8%
Frank Miller 8%
Grant Morrison 40%
Stan Lee 23%

Read the title.

#1 Posted by The_jackolantern (445 posts) - - Show Bio

Well out of these im gonna say grant morrison because I have read and liked more of him.

I never eead sandman but heard it was very good tho

#2 Posted by Doomnaut (1992 posts) - - Show Bio

Jeph Loeb.

#3 Edited by The_jackolantern (445 posts) - - Show Bio

Haha

#4 Edited by Wolverine08 (38932 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the most important writer here is Stan Lee, while the best one is Grant Morrison.

#5 Posted by QueenCorp15 (1023 posts) - - Show Bio

Of these grant & stan the man. But my fav writer is mark waid

#6 Posted by MaccyD (3573 posts) - - Show Bio

None of my favs are here...

#7 Posted by Billy Batson (57795 posts) - - Show Bio

Stan didn't write those issues, his co-creators did.

BB

#8 Posted by The_Tree (7238 posts) - - Show Bio

Morrison slaughters.

#9 Posted by Squalleon (4178 posts) - - Show Bio

BB

What do you mean?
I know that Stan Lee has been called a hack before but i never heard a solid argument, could you give me some info please :-)

Anyway I voted Morrison, even though Moore might be the better writer, Morrison has delivered most of my favorite stories.

#10 Posted by Billy Batson (57795 posts) - - Show Bio

@billy_batson said:

BB

What do you mean?

I know that Stan Lee has been called a hack before but i never heard a solid argument, could you give me some info please :-)

Anyway I voted Morrison, even though Moore might be the better writer, Morrison has delivered most of my favorite stories.

When Kirby and Ditko stopped working with Stan, they still created great characters and stories at DC and on their own while Stan's work quality dropped and Stan didn't come up with any new characters besides the likes of She-Hulk and Stripperella.

Ditko even sent fully drawn Spider-Man issues and Stan just added the dialogue.

BB

#11 Posted by DecoyElite (4019 posts) - - Show Bio

Hard to choose, but out of those listed Neil Gaiman

#12 Posted by Squalleon (4178 posts) - - Show Bio

@billy_batson: I know it definetely happened with Kirby. Lee continue his run on FF even after Kirby left but no one remembers those stories.

#13 Posted by TDK_1997 (14471 posts) - - Show Bio

Grant Morrison.

#15 Posted by LimboBot (116 posts) - - Show Bio

Alan Moore. But....

Not seeing Robert Kirkman.

Nor Rick Remender

#16 Posted by dagmar_merrill (6875 posts) - - Show Bio

@freak_spawn: I used who I always see in the "Best writer" conversation and lists.

#17 Posted by LimboBot (116 posts) - - Show Bio

@freak_spawn: I used who I always see in the "Best writer" conversation and lists.

yeah but guys like frank miller shouldn't qualify, i mean, he went insane!

#18 Posted by batmannflash (6192 posts) - - Show Bio

I gotta go with Morrison

#19 Edited by Extremis (3334 posts) - - Show Bio

Ugh why do you force me to pick out of these. I vote for other, my choice is for who is the best right now and thats Josh Dysart. Right now his work on Harbinger is as good as anyone's.

#20 Posted by ULTRAstarkiller (5951 posts) - - Show Bio

G Morrison then Lee

#21 Posted by Night Thrasher (3606 posts) - - Show Bio

I voted Gaiman...

I think Stan Lee has the most imagination out of the bunch.

Alan Moore has more weight to his work.

Morrison thinks the most outside of the box.

But Gaiman's work is a mixture of the classic and modern stuff that fits into any era IMO. He is more of a wordsmith than any of the others and I think some of his works read like classic Shakespeare.

I didn't forget Miller, but to me he doesn't belong in this conversation. He can be good but he's not on this level.

#22 Posted by Joygirl (18771 posts) - - Show Bio

Tom Taylor.

#23 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5772 posts) - - Show Bio

I voted for Neil Gaiman, but my favorite writers who are not on this list are Brian K. Vaughan and Robert Kirkman.

#24 Posted by TheCannon (17965 posts) - - Show Bio

Stan Lee.

#25 Posted by lifeboy (1675 posts) - - Show Bio

Mark Waid because of Kingdom Come. In fact.... I'm going to go re-read it right now...

#26 Edited by giantsfan576 (1071 posts) - - Show Bio

Paul Dini

#27 Posted by eternalnature (364 posts) - - Show Bio

Scott Lobdell

#28 Posted by lykopis (10756 posts) - - Show Bio

He's not my favourite, but I voted Gaiman. Out of all the writers offered, he tops them for me.

#29 Edited by Lvenger (18465 posts) - - Show Bio

It's mostly subjective really but for me, Morrison is the best writer on here. His writing style is incredibly unique and rich in terms of story telling, character development, sheer insanity regarding what the hell's going on along with a symbolic message for what he's writing. Frank Millar hasn't done anything right since Sin City, Lee's a better creator than writer really and Moore's been off the grid for ages.

#30 Posted by Billy Batson (57795 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

It's mostly subjective really but for me, Morrison is the best writer on here. His writing style is incredibly unique and rich in terms of story telling, character development, sheer insanity regarding what the hell's going on along with a symbolic message for what he's writing. Frank Millar hasn't done anything right since Sin City, Lee's a better creator than writer really and Moore's been off the grid for ages.

Nah, Moore's been doing in his own work these years.

BB

#31 Posted by Lvenger (18465 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

BB

I heard that but I've never come across any of it. Hence my off the grid comment.

#32 Posted by RustyRoy (11119 posts) - - Show Bio

Grant Morrison.

#33 Edited by Billy Batson (57795 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

@billy_batson said:

@lvenger said:

BB

I heard that but I've never come across any of it. Hence my off the grid comment.

Even though his LoEG work always tops the sale charts? :p

BB

#34 Posted by Lvenger (18465 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

@billy_batson said:

@lvenger said:

BB

BB

What's that?

#35 Edited by Billy Batson (57795 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

@billy_batson said:

@lvenger said:

@billy_batson said:

@lvenger said:

BB

BB

What's that?

League of Extradeordinary Gentlemen?
BB

#36 Posted by Lvenger (18465 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

@billy_batson said:

@lvenger said:

@billy_batson said:

@lvenger said:

BB

BB

What's that?

League of Extradeordinary Gentlemen?
BB

Oh how did I not pick up on that? I've never read the graphic novel. I've only seen the film adaption.

#37 Posted by Billy Batson (57795 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

Oh how did I not pick up on that? I've never read the graphic novel. I've only seen the film adaption.

It's just not one mini, he drops one graphic novel in a year.

BB

#38 Edited by Lvenger (18465 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

BB

LOEG came out years ago though. I thought it was Watchmen that was topping the sales charts anyway?

#39 Posted by Billy Batson (57795 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

@billy_batson said:

@lvenger said:

BB

LOEG came out years ago though. I thought it was Watchmen that was topping the sales charts anyway?

Yeah but every time a new LoEG graphic novel releases it's that month's best selling trade if not longer.

BB

#40 Edited by Lvenger (18465 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

@billy_batson said:

@lvenger said:

BB

Yeah but every time a new LoEG graphic novel releases it's that month's best selling trade if not longer.

BB

Ah I see. I need to pick that one up at some point too.

#41 Posted by sinestro_GL (3066 posts) - - Show Bio

Picked Alan Moore due to

• Swamp Thing
  • Watchmen
  • For the Man Who Has Everything
  • Killing Joke
  • LOEG
  • V for Vendetta
  • From Hell
#42 Posted by TheManInTheShoe (3876 posts) - - Show Bio

Stan Lee

#43 Posted by flazam (2471 posts) - - Show Bio