#1 Posted by SOG7dc (8214 posts) - - Show Bio

hello all. my name is chris and i love superman.....ill give you all a moment to let that sink in.....so consequently i come here to draw on the knowledge and experience of you seasoned comic readers. im looking for you guys to post the best superman stories (aside from all star because im reading that now and it is just dripping in good) along with your favorite superman art. im new to comic vine and comics in general so any assistance advice complaints crtiticisms or suggestions are all very welcome. thanks in advance

#2 Edited by RideASpaceCowboy (539 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman is one of if not the most difficult characters for artist to depict apparently. Despite the fact that so many have attempted the undertaking, equally apparent is that so few have had great success in doing so. Listed below are those rare exceptions, ordered according to quality.

1. John Byrne (Man of Steel mini-series)
  2. Curt Swan (Whatever Happened to the man of Tomorrow?)
  3. Alex Ross (Kingdom Come)
  4. Jim Lee (For Tomorrow)
  5. Nicola Scott (Superman #3)
  6. Ivan Reis (Justice League)

Noble but failed attempts among otherwise stellar artists would include, in no particular order:

• Frank Quitely
  • Lienil Yu
  • George Perez
  • Brian Hitch
  • J.G. Jones
  • Gary Frank

I reserve the right to update these lists as I recall more artistic runs.

#3 Edited by SOG7dc (8214 posts) - - Show Bio

first of all thank you for responding with helpful input. secondly, and this could possibly be attributed to the fact that i am but an infant in regards to comic book reading, i absolutely LOVED frank quitely in all star superman. it was gorgeous. i love how he depicted the world how he drew lex and lois but most of all i loved his superman/ clark kent

#4 Posted by AllStarSuperman (23013 posts) - - Show Bio

Gary Frank

Jim Lee

Kenneth Rockfort

Frank Quitely

Tony Daniel

#5 Posted by RideASpaceCowboy (539 posts) - - Show Bio

@sog7dc said:

first of all thank you for responding with helpful input. secondly, and this could possibly be attributed to the fact that i am but an infant in regards to comic book reading, i absolutely LOVED frank quitely in all star superman. it was gorgeous. i love how he depicted the world how he drew lex and lois but most of all i loved his superman/ clark kent

I'm actually a fan of Frank Quitely's other work, just not his Superman. If you enjoy his art style, you absolutely have to read Flex Mentallo. Like All-Star Superman, it's also written by Grant Morrison and is arguably his Magnum Opus.

#6 Edited by deaditegonzo (3690 posts) - - Show Bio

- Ken Rocafort

- Alex Ross

- Gary Frank

In no particular order.

I may be in the minority, but I also enjoyed Renato Guedes' take, particular when Supes fights the Suneater.

Edit: Oh man, forgot Curt Swan Superman, thats the classic. And sure Jim Lee always deserves honourable mention.

#7 Posted by Chronus (1115 posts) - - Show Bio

Kenneth Rocafort is my favorite, so of course he'll be my answer.

#8 Posted by nightwingnerd (325 posts) - - Show Bio

In a cross between Ivan Reis, Kenneth Rocafort, and Jim lee

#9 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (20446 posts) - - Show Bio

I have to say Jim Lee. The man can draw pretty much any character awesomely.

#10 Edited by SmashBrawler (5978 posts) - - Show Bio
  • Jim Lee
  • Gary Frank
  • Alex Ross
  • John Byrne
  • José Luis García-López
  • Ivan Reis
  • Doug Mahnke
#11 Posted by The_Tree (7991 posts) - - Show Bio
  • Gary Frank
  • Jim Lee
  • Alex Ross
  • Bruce Timm

As for stories, I'd recommend Superman: Brainiac, Superman: Last Son, Action Comics: Superman and the Men of Steel, Kingdom Come, Superman: Red Son, Superman/Shazam!: First Thunder, and Superman: For Tomorrow.

#12 Posted by PowerHerc (85336 posts) - - Show Bio
  • Ross Andru
  • Neal Adams
  • John Byrne
  • George Perez
  • Curt Swan
  • Alex Ross
  • Jose Luis Garica-Lopez
  • Ed McGuinness
  • Jim Lee
  • Doug Mahnke
  • Ken Rocafort
  • Joe Shuster
  • Alex Toth
  • Ivan Reis
  • Carlos Pacheco
  • Ian Churchill

#13 Posted by JediXMan (31332 posts) - - Show Bio

#14 Edited by Lone_Wolf_and_Cub (5332 posts) - - Show Bio

Gary Frank, John Byrne, Doug Mahnke, Jim Lee, Neil Adams, Frank Quitely, Alex Ross and Ivan Reis.

#15 Posted by SOG7dc (8214 posts) - - Show Bio

I want doug mahnke to draw him now

#16 Posted by Glarinetta (394 posts) - - Show Bio

Jim Lee, of course, but Kenneth Rocafort is starting to be my new favorite. Those two are some talented s*its.