• 114 results
gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Every week, we take a look at some of the most bizarre, exciting, and downright unique things to happen in comics. Check out our choices below of the strange and wacky things that shouldn't be overlooked from this week's releases.

There may be some tiny spoilers ahead.

All-New, All-Different Avengers #4

Best Meta-Comment on Comics’ Changes

There have been a lot of changes with classic characters. We’re seeing characters of different races and gender take on the mantles of the original characters. The latest roster of the Avengers features Sam Wilson as Captain America and Jane Foster as Thor. After they save a town, we see some survivors comment on how politically correct things have become and being saved by the “understudy” Avengers.

No Caption Provided

Best Attention-Grabbing Kiss

Immediately after saving a town from a supervillain, the new Thor decides to give the new Captain America a big old kiss. When the cover first debuted, it got comic readers talking. The reason for the kiss was because Thor wanted to emphasize that life is short and sometimes you just have to do things for the heck of it. The bigger question is will this kiss lead to a relationship between the two Avengers?

No Caption Provided

Aquaman #48

Best Underwater Kiss

There was a lot of kissing this week. Aquaman has gone through quite an ordeal. An imposter posing as Mera has finally been defeated. Mera and Aquaman are reunited and they share a tender moment underwater.

No Caption Provided

There was actually another big kiss this week but let's move on from all the smooching.

Old Man Logan #1

Best Dark Knight Homage

Wolverine, from an alternate future, has suddenly found himself in his past (our present). Once he gets his bearings straight, he launches himself into the night in a scene reminiscent of Frank Miller’s classic Dark Knight Returns.

No Caption Provided

Batman and Robin Eternal #17

Best “Where’s the Trigger?” Moment

Remember that scene in The Dark Knight Returns where Christian Bale’s Batman repeatedly asked Tom Hardy’s Bane, “Where’s the trigger?” If you don’t remember it that well, there is a ten-minute video of it.

There's also a ten-hour audio loop to drive yourself or your friends crazy.

In this week’s Batman and Robin Eternal, we see a flashback with Batman asking Orphan, "Where's the target?" It’s difficult to read the scene without hearing Christian Bale’s voice in your head.

No Caption Provided

Extraordinary X-Men #6

Best Lethal Weapon Reference

This series takes place shortly after the events in the current Old Man Logan. Logan has been convinced to join this incarnation of the X-Men. Surrounded by younger versions of the friends he knew, his reaction to their current predicament is reminiscent to Danny Glover’s outlook in the Lethal Weapon movies.

No Caption Provided

Art Ops #4

Best Analysis of a Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich

It’s hard to think of peanut butter or jelly without the other. They go together perfectly. We hear what the Body’s view on the perfection of this union of ingredients.

No Caption Provided

Worst Superpower to be Granted

Later we see the Body grant Juliet (who wants to be called J. Gorgeous) some superpowers. What powers will he give her? How about the ability to turn things to velvet?

No Caption Provided

Spider-Woman #3

Best Depiction of an Escape Route

Jessica Drew is very pregnant. She took the advice of Carol “Captain Marvel” Danvers and visited the alien hospital associated with the new Alpha Flight. Unfortunately there’s currently a couple problems with the hospital: some Skrulls have invaded and the hospital is located in a black hole so there won’t be any help on the way anytime soon. Jessica seeks out the administrator that can help repair the teleportation portals and has to take the scenic route through the facility. This goes on for a few pages.

No Caption Provided

Monstress #3

Best Advice to Live by

Sometimes you discover you have a connection to a big evil monstrous force. Kippa gives some advice to Maika that everyone should practice in their everyday lives.

No Caption Provided

X-Men: Worst X-Man Ever #3

Strangest Description of the Life of an X-Man

The X-Men have often played baseball together as a way to relax. As they put it here, it’s like during lapses in worldwide crises where they can casually bond. Storm actually compares their lives to an episode of Friends exceptwith some boss fights. This may sound a little out of place, but there’s a good reason for it.

No Caption Provided

Teen Titans #16

Best Censored Display of a Monkey’s Fingers

Beast Boy is fed up with being chased and bullied by different groups. As they're surrounded and threatened with power dampers, he shows a gesture not many were aware monkeys could make.

No Caption Provided

Note: this is how the panel was cropped in the issue.

Howling Commandos of S.H.I.E.L.D. #4

Best Team Stance

The strange members of this strike force have bonded and decided to stand by each other. They all stand in a pose that you wouldn’t expect people to actually do but it makes a pretty snazzy image on the panel.

No Caption Provided

Bloodshot Reborn #10

Best Fury Road Warboys

Bloodshot has found some happiness and the story has jumped thirty years in the future. We see him about to face the Shadowmen. You have to admit they look very much like the Warboys in Mad Max: Fury Road.

No Caption Provided

Angela: Queen of Hel #4

Best Sign the Battle Just Got Real

When you're in the middle of a battle and you hear your opponent summon an army of the dead, you know they're taking things very seriously.

No Caption Provided

Black Canary #7

Best Use of Music to Defeat a Savage Beast

Black Canary and her band decide to use their music to defeat an evil force. Artist Annie Wu does a pretty cool job with one of the scenes.

No Caption Provided

Deadly Class #18

Best Reson Not to Wear a Red Shirt

At the Kings Dominion School of the Deadly Arts, final exams mean the students from a legacy of assassins must hunt down and kill those students that are new to the school (you can find more information here). As some students decide to leave the school grounds, a fellow classmate they don't recognize comes up to them, hoping to go with them. Can Pauly survive even though he's wearing a red shirt? We know wearing red is pretty much bad luck in the Star Trek universe.

No Caption Provided

Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #4

Best “Where’s Waldo?” Moment

In a two-page spread at the beginning of the issue, you get to play a game of “Where’s Waldo?” Too bad he’s pretty easy to find.

No Caption Provided

Grayson #16

Best Swim Suit Scene

We constantly see female characters objectified in comics and other media, but Dick Grayson has practically become the poster boy for male objectification. His rear end has been highlighted in all its glory many times. We also see him and Agent 1 at the beach in little bathing suits.

No Caption Provided

Best James Bond Opening Montage

Because Dick Grayson is currently a spy in Spryal, he decided they should have a theme song. What follows are a few pages that play out like the opening to a James Bond film. You'll have to provide your own tune.

No Caption Provided

Note: this week's Grayson #16 and Justice League 3001 #8 both used Swordfish as a password.

That's it this week. Let us know in the comments below what other Best Stuff you dug this past week. Special thanks to @FearTheLiving, @djfanco, and @ShaunH22 for his suggestions. If you want to participate or felt we missed some other Best Stuff, don't complain, contribute! Especially if you didn't offer any suggestions. Each week you can @reply me on Twitter at @GManFromHeck by Saturdays using the hashtag #BestStuffInComics. We'll give you a shout out and I'll think you're pretty groovy.

Be sure to always look for the best stuff and always be sure to avoid eating people. Embrace the yin and the yang of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich instead.

TheExile285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 4

So does this new Thor kiss everyone? Lol.

The art in Monstress is so good. It's like reading a well colored manga. Really surprised Kippa has made it this far.

The JB Montage in Grayson is awesome. It'd make a great wallpaper if you took out the dialog boxes.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Ok, I do not care about any of the changes Marvel has made (as in they don't excite me, and they don't bother me, just completely neutral) and even I'm sick of writers using this lame meta joke over and over and over again

No Caption Provided

It was cute the first few times, but now it's become an annoying trope

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By Rubear

Understudy Avengers. Good, now i know how to call'em.

Folly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Canary and Angela were really cool and that picture of Bloodshot Reborn might just get me back into the comic. Nice that Monstress made the list!

It's not yet objectification it's sexualization. Learn your feminist words. :p

Batman3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Huh. Why does the Grayson #16 mention strike me as homage to every single Ra's Al ghoul vs Batman fight?

RavenKingXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

If they don't stop bringing up the "understudy avengers" thing and political correctness then that is all this team will be remembered for.

Stellar421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice, Marvel. Take a jab at the readers who call you on your ridiculousness.

Stellar421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Stellar421
@rubear said:

Understudy Avengers. Good, now i know how to call'em.

wmarshal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bor, and legions of the dead? I need to read this book.

SpitfirePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like Sam Wilson Cap and Jane Thor, and that joke was just stupid. It's like Marvel can't help but whine about people disagreeing with them or wanting the established characters back. They're living up to the SJW stereotype pretty well.

Bl00dwerK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If these "Best Stuff" posts are gonna be full of this meta crap let's all just stop clicking on them...

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 the_stegman  Moderator

Ok, I do not care about any of the changes Marvel has made (as in they don't excite me, and they don't bother me, just completely neutral) and even I'm sick of writers using this lame meta joke over and over and over again

No Caption Provided

It was cute the first few times, but now it's become an annoying trope

THANK YOU!

We get it Marvel, you know the Internet doesn't like changes. You don't have to put it in every comic! Grow up and ignore it.

Avatar image for atheistknowledge
AtheistKnowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

This coming from Mark "let me force my own political views in everything" Waid, i see no surprises here.

Ducey13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like Sam Wilson Cap and Jane Thor, and that joke was just stupid. It's like Marvel can't help but whine about people disagreeing with them or wanting the established characters back. They're living up to the SJW stereotype pretty well.

I completely agree. I'm totally cool with Jane and Sam as Thor and Cap. I'm enjoying the All New All Different Marvel. If fact these changes never last as long as I'd like them too. I loved Slott's Superior Spider-Man and BruBaker's run on Captain America when Bucky was Cap. Both ended too quickly for me. BUT this meta crap needs to stop. It's annoying. It's not convincing anyone. And sorry but STEVE, THOR ODINSON, LOGAN, PETER PARKER, ect, are the real deals. And Marvel always proves that when that go back to them. Hell, Sam's been the New Cap for what a year? And they're already bringing Steve back?

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16  Edited By Stahlflamme

[*steals a childs lolly* *insults a person* *trashes a police car* *beats a hobo half to death*
*gets subdued by the police* "Police brutality! Its only because I'm gay!"]
- Me using the all new all different Marvel method.

And yes I am gay, obviously I hate all shitheads that try to use their being a minority to defend their shitty behavior. But in Marvels case its a bunch of white heterosexual males doing this, how friggin sick and disgusting is that?

Rob Collier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kinda funny. Though, I am interested in this Sam/Jane romance.

Pohatu5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That black Canary scene is pretty cool lay out wise. But the lack of actual music makes it feel incomplete. The first measure and the cresc hint at some neat musical musings, but he lack of notes, and ink in general make the page seem unfinished. I give it an A for creativity and layout, B for execution.

Doc-Holiday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

Thor and Cap (or whoever they are) kiss, Oh I totally didn't see this coming a mile away. You create these new characters just to sell comics, to have a female Thor and Black Cap and now they hope a "look whose coming to dinner" relationship will get even more people interested, nope.

This is all just boring, predictable writing, regardless of the character choices

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#20  Edited By Lvenger

No Caption Provided

This coming from Mark "let me force my own political views in everything" Waid, i see no surprises here.

Lol too true. He blocked anyone who disagreed with him on numerous occasions, including the Batgirl Killing Joke cover controversy. Even when the disagreements offered legit counter points. Sad that a once talented writer like Waid got so better when he moved from DC to Marvel.

Avatar image for ultimate_knight
Ultimate_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A Valiant title gets a share of the spotlight this week.

AtheistKnowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: Yea i remember that, he said as soon as he sees anyone with an avatar of the Killing Joke cover he will instantly block them.

It's all the same to people like him, you think differently than them, you are automatically every boogeyman they can think of, you are the enemy. I remember he once accused a bunch of people for legitimately criticizing this "joke" of his

No Caption Provided

as a bunch of gamergaters, MRA's. He is notorious for being unable to take any kind of criticism. But the worst thing he ever did as far as i know is help get a bunch of women harassed and expelled from a convention because their panel talked about gamergate and because of this clip

Loading Video...

which was apparently deemed harassment.

Anyway i am ranting here and going off topic... I am just tired of Marvel complaining about people that complain lol. I mean Mark Waids "joke" wasn't even the only one of it's kind this week alone, there is also this

No Caption Provided

(that's an actual scan of the comic unedited) but i regress...

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atheistknowledge: Thank goodness that didn't make it into the Best Stuff in comics this week, it might be because of the controversy it would cause but that idiotic joke in Angela's latest series was in poor taste and poorly executed. It's also not a very good joke like at all.

SpitfirePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atheistknowledge: That's Bor in the Angela scan, right? Is it just me or does he look like a monkey? Is he supposed to look like that?

AtheistKnowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: It's not even a joke... Feminists are complaining about a tweeter parody account.. Meninist

No Caption Provided

this is one of their number one enemies... tweeter PARODY accounts... If you look at the sales of Angelas comic, then it becomes quickly clear why that "joke" was inserted in there. To stir up controversy so that more people might take a look at the comic. But stuff like is what actually kills the comic... because when i think about ancient Norse mythology i think of tweeter parody accounts.

Brilliant.

AtheistKnowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By AtheistKnowledge

@atheistknowledge: That's Bor in the Angela scan, right? Is it just me or does he look like a monkey? Is he supposed to look like that?

Yea it's Bor, it's just subpar art. He is suppose to look like a normal Asgardian or more like an actual Viking to us

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atheistknowledge: How can feminists fall so hard for such obvious parody trolling, they already have enough to get worked up about in female objectification and the patriarchy. Not only was it terrible writing but I'm a big fan of JMS' Thor run and that 600th issue with Bor fighting Thor was awesome. Having him reduced to being censored by MRA jabs and Unsolicited opinions on Israel is frustrating.

AtheistKnowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever: The one with Bor? Yes, it's real, unedited actual panel from the comic that passed the editorial and hit the shelves.

AtheistKnowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: This is what happens when people can't control their political agendas and let them sip into their creations. I don't remember it ever being this bad though.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atheistknowledge: It's not even a fair and balanced discussion of both sides and arguments either. It's just Marvel writers making their characters spout their political viewpoints as if they're their own fictional mouthpieces. As talented as he is, Nick Spencer's also guilty of this IMO, his Falcap comic is full of such political agendas.

Avatar image for brinkthemoviemyfavoritemovie
brinkthemoviemyfavoritemovie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guess what, guys: **** Marvel.

SkullKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SkullKnight

Thor: Life is too short! *proceeds to do everyone like a s**t* -sarcasm-

Good job Marvel, you continue to disappoint lots of fans.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

@lvenger said:

@atheistknowledge: It's not even a fair and balanced discussion of both sides and arguments either. It's just Marvel writers making their characters spout their political viewpoints as if they're their own fictional mouthpieces. As talented as he is, Nick Spencer's also guilty of this IMO, his Falcap comic is full of such political agendas.

I quite enjoy when comics have politics in them even if I don't agree with whatever stance they are for but it needs to make sense for the character and whatever story they are trying to tell. For instance I don't expect to see radical libertarian ideas coming from Judge Dredd.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atheistknowledge: It's insane how clueless, awful and immature this (the Angela one) is. Also, literally on the next page from that, she makes a RIDICULOUSLY tasteless "play" on words regarding LYNCHING of all things. Yeah, this privileged white woman blabs about feminism and political correctness in one breath and extremely offensively jokes about one of the worst tragedies in African American history in the next breath. Right before Black History Month too! She's truly the definition of a completely clueless white girl who's been sheltered/overprivileged all her life and is only just now awkwardly trying to get into social activism because it's "the popular thing".

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: It may make some sense in his Captain America comic but it's still done in a rather obvious way. Not to mention that the republican/Trump style views are represented in the supervillains always.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: Trump's views being supervillainous?! I'm shocked!! What next!?

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By FearTheLiving

Wait what's wrong with the Bor thing? Wasn't it made obvious that it's not really Bor and just a conjured up monster of Hela to represent the most despicable version of the character? I mean I guess it could still be but both Sera and Angela both doubt it's really him in the book.

I'll agree the kiss felt forced in All-New All-Different Avengers even if the reasoning sort of made sense as to why Jane would just live in the now. Though I am glad it wasn't made into a big thing and that Sam and Jane are a couple like I was afraid they would do.

AtheistKnowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By AtheistKnowledge

@jonny_anonymous said:
@lvenger said:

I quite enjoy when comics have politics in them even if I don't agree with whatever stance they are for but it needs to make sense for the character and whatever story they are trying to tell. For instance I don't expect to see radical libertarian ideas coming from Judge Dredd.

I do too, but good comics discuss different political views, they don't force their own political views on you while completely strawmaning and misrepresenting the other side. For instance Waid has just lumped every single critique of the comics and the changes in Marvel as whiny fanboys that hate change just because it's a change. Not the fact that the changes themselves sometimes make no sense or are completely unneeded and very much forced.

No Caption Provided

You can notice here that Antman doesn't dismiss Sam as Captain America or that he would be a bad Cap or that he isn't doing good already. He sees Steve Rogers as the real Captain America not because he is a white, cisgender, heteroxesual male(or whatever) but because he is a symbol, because he is a man that commands respect everywhere he goes. It doesn't matter what skin color you are, gender, or what political views you have, NO ONE will measure up to Caps... that's the point the comic is trying to deliver IMO.

This is done far better IMO in this comic, the writer doesn't take a jab at the readers or the people that critique the changes he actually gives a voice to those that have had valid concern for certain changes, not because they are racist, bigots, Trump supporters or whatever... But because they love the comics and the characters they grew up with.

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

@antithetical: @winter_kills: @sinikettu: @ms-lola:

Are you still reading Angela new run? This makes any sense? Looks just ........... sad, because we actually care and enjoyed what Gillen was building! What is Marguerite Bennett doing? Bor is Odin's father since when his personality/identity cares for this mundane stuff or countries like Israel?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Lvenger

@brinkthemoviemyfavoritemovie said:

@lvenger: Trump's views being supervillainous?! I'm shocked!! What next!?

I didn't say they were morally good views or opinions a decent minded person should have, I just said they're the latest trend to be depicted in fictional villains, that's all.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: Fair enough. I see what you mean. It's like the easiest thing to go to for a writer to use for insulting people currently.

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

I'm so tired of this and I'm getting really close to dropping the Falcap series (probably will as soon as Steve Rogers comes back, as I really love Captain America and would like to read a hopefully less political version of him). It's not even like I disagree with everything he's saying, I'm just so tired of hearing it every time I read Captain America. I wish I could drop Avengers too. Overall, Waid's writing has been pretty bad imo. Not only do we get the unfunny "meta commentary," but the fight with Warbringer was a total let down. But I can't bring myself to drop the main Avengers (generally my favorite team) series. Not yet, at least.

AtheistKnowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brinkthemoviemyfavoritemovie: I mean if any 'politician' deserves to be ridiculed at the moment there couldn't be a more perfect target right now.

Avatar image for constantine1610
constantine1610

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgaard: The Queen of Hel stuff has been interesting, but the pop culture/current events references are getting a hit too heavy. One of the Asgardians made a friggin Game of Thrones reference in issue 3, and Sera's talking about Beyonce and Final Fantasy.
That off-putting thing aside, though, the book's fun.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: Oh no doubt. In fact, if the comics actually were directly insulting Trump supporters instead of the majority of comic fans, I'd actually probably enjoy them quite a bit.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@constantine1610: Angela is the Family Guy of comics. A bunch of references to pop culture and stuff that will age terribly and look embarrassing and super out-of-touch 1 year later. Which is exactly what that trash deserves.