Dark Horse 0%
DC 13%
Dynamite 6%
IDW 6%
Image 38%
Marvel 22%
Valiant 16%
Other (please specify) 0%

So with 2013 coming to a rapid close (all ready?!), who do you guys think was the best publisher this year? Strictly in terms of books (meaning don't take movies/cartoons/tv shows into account)

For me, I think it comes down to Image or Valiant. Prior to this year I was mostly reading Marvel and DC Comics - because they had my favorite heroes. I'm now reading over a dozen titles between Image and Valiant and starting to check out other publishers too (IDW for starters), which only speaks to the quality of the two right now.

Valiant in particular is absolutely flourishing since its relaunch last year. Their universe is all ready huge and filled with so much variety for really what just amounts to a handful of titles.

Image on the other hand is absolutely killing it regardless of the concept. The sheer number variety of the titles they are putting out right now is absurd, especially considering just about all of them seem to be of such high quality. And they may be putting out the single best comic right now in Saga.

So what do you guys think? Who was the best publisher this year?

(I think I covered all the big names, sorry if I didn't list yours in the poll, there is quite a lot :P)

• 
Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Grah, I've only branched out to IDW thus far. New Year's resolution to try out some more.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

Grah, I've only branched out to IDW thus far. New Year's resolution to try out some more.

That was me last year =P. Try it out man, I doubt you'll be disappointed.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3 the_stegman  Moderator

Although I pick up more DC titles than any other...I won't lie, it's gotten very stale, I only look forward to maybe half my pull. So I vote Image, Saga has been phenomenal, The Walking Dead is still great, Morning Glories is cool, Lazarus, East of West, Jupiter's Legacy, I mean come on, this has been Image's year!

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

Valiant or Image by far.

Avatar image for imthedamnbatman
ImTheDamnBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By ImTheDamnBatman

I've read 2013 DC comics.

And some other stuff, I guess. Can't remember any publisher.

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Fallschirmjager
@the_stegman said:

Although I pick up more DC titles than any other...I won't lie, it's gotten very stale, I only look forward to maybe half my pull. So I vote Image, Saga has been phenomenal, The Walking Dead is still great, Morning Glories is cool, Lazarus, East of West, Jupiter's Legacy, I mean come on, this has been Image's year!

Lol, I know what you mean. I read more books from DC than Image and Valiant combined. Probably won't change, they simply have too many characters I love/like.

I don't think I'd label DC stale though - they just don't consistently blow me away like Valiant and Image has done. Some DC books are amazing, some not so much. More or less feel the same way with Marvel - who are getting no extra favor with me thanks to dead Peter either.

I also voted Image - but it was close. Valiant's new universe is pretty awesome. I just gave Image the nod because they have more books of equal caliber.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

@the_stegman said:

Lol, I know what you mean. I read more books from DC than Image and Valiant combined. Probably won't change, they simply have too many characters I love/like.

I don't think I'd label DC stale though - they just don't consistently blow me away like Valiant and Image has done. Some DC books are amazing, some not so much. More or less feel the same way with Marvel - who are getting no extra favor with me thanks to dead Peter either.

I also voted Image - but it was close. Valiant's new universe is pretty awesome. I just gave Image the nod because they have more books of equal caliber.

I've actually just dropped Superboy and Superman, Superboy was always on the edge of getting off my pull, just hasn't had one arc that really blew me away, as for Superman, well, Lobdell is getting tedious with his 3rd person omniscient narration and unflattering dialogue. But DC isn't COMPLETELY bad, I still pick up a good 25 titles from them, and they have gems like Green Arrow, Aquaman, WW, Batman, All GL stuff and Forever Evil on their side. I voted Image cause it actually impressed me the most this year, I mean I just started reading Saga, and phew, just great.

Deadgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Valiant & Dynamite for me

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@the_stegman: Ah. I haven't read the main Superman title as I've been warned to stay away from it. Action comics isn't bad though, and I enjoy Unchained Bats/Supes and WW/Supes though

But yeah Saga is amazing. Probably the best title right now.

Emperorb777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vertigo just because.

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bump

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

User Lists: 3

Image.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

I think Image has the highest quality of titles I've read this year.

Lazarus, Saga, East of West and Jupiter's Legacy are all pretty great.

Avatar image for spinningbirdcake
spinningbirdcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Image has been damn near flawless. I'm slowly becoming less and less interested in DC while becoming more interested in Marvel. Maybe when DC announce some new titles that'll change.

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

...bump :D

need moar votes

InFamous_Wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By InFamous_Wolf

Image has been damn near flawless. I'm slowly becoming less and less interested in DC while becoming more interested in Marvel. Maybe when DC announce some new titles that'll change.

The same thing is happening to me. The only thing keeping me with DC is Batman and Forever Evil. Forever Evil is barely keeping my attention. Marvel just has a large variety of titles, so there is something for everyone. Especially with the Marvel Now and Now. going on. Combining this with the amazing event Marvel just had and Image continuously releasing great titles. DC REALLY needs to step its game up.....

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@infamous_wolf said:

@spinningbirdcake said:

The same thing is happening to me. The only thing keeping me with DC is Batman and Forever Evil. Forever Evil is barely keeping my attention. Marvel just has a large variety of titles, so there is something for everyone. Especially with the Marvel Now and Now. going on. Combining this with the amazing event Marvel just had and Image continuously releasing great titles. DC REALLY needs to step its game up.....

Interesting. I find Marvel terribly underwhelming right now. I've had to struggle just to keep a respectable pull list.

It was as low as 2 titles this year from them.

I'm back at 10 now, but I had to break down and finally buy USM (miles) and SSM, something which I am pretty against in concepts...but given that Peter is dead and Flash and Kaine got canceled I have nothing else.

Batman isn't even that good, you need to branch out in DC. Green Arrow, Aquaman, Flash, Wonder Woman, Swamp Thing, Animal Man...etc

InFamous_Wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@infamous_wolf said:

@spinningbirdcake said:

Interesting. I find Marvel terribly underwhelming right now. I've had to struggle just to keep a respectable pull list.

It was as low as 2 titles this year from them.

I'm back at 10 now, but I had to break down and finally buy USM (miles) and SSM, something which I am pretty against in concepts...but given that Peter is dead and Flash and Kaine got canceled I have nothing else.

Batman isn't even that good, you need to branch out in DC. Green Arrow, Aquaman, Flash, Wonder Woman, Swamp Thing, Animal Man...etc

I tried quite a few of their titles. They just didn't really interest me like that. I was really into Aquaman but kinda fell off of it. Can you recommend a starting point for some of the titles you named? Maybe, they have gotten more interesting.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Image.

2chimcha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Valiant

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@infamous_wolf: Aquaman got better and better...dunno what you're talking about :P. Loved it from the 1st issue, I'd recommend that tbh. Otherwise 18 is when Death of a King starts, my favorite arc of the year.

Flash also too I enjoyed the entire run. But you can start at issue 20 to read Reverse-Flash arc (his villain's month issue is also a tie in)

Wonder Woman is a little harder, since its all one big story right now. I'd have to go back and reread it to give you a good answer.

Green ARrow - start at issue 17 when Jeff Lemire / Andrea Sorrentino took over. Utterly excellence.

Swamp Thing and Animal Man I'd read both or neither, as they're sort of sister books. I enjoyed the whole run of both, but I'd recommend starting at least issue 12 of each so you can read the Rotworld crossover, which was probably the best event of 2012.

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bump xD

VOTE IN MY POLLS D:

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By Transformers1024

BUMP!

The conversations have been stable here and not fanboy vs fanboy like the usual threads like these. Plus this needs more votes!

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@transformers1024: xD

Thanks. I actually forgot about this because it kind of died lol